Thread: FCC goes for broke

Default FCC goes for broke

The FCC is set on repealing certain "net neutrality" policies enacted under Obama.
    In fact, they are so focused on passing their new policy, they are blithely ignoring evidence of fraud in the public comments process surrounding the policy.
    "2 million people—and some dead ones—were impersonated in net neutrality comments"; 18 state attorneys general have filed objections and have been stonewalled of ignored.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...lity-comments/

Why does it matter?:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...et-neutrality/

This administration might set records for the "biggest, best most beautiful lawsuits ever"
    Last edited by HopAlongBunny; 12-14-2017 at 12:36.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Default Re: FCC goes for broke

So much FUD in the net neutrality debate.... and Politifact should stick to politics instead of trying to explain how networks function- something they clearly have no understanding of.

How many people who call themselves supporters of net neutrality, cite as an example of it's need Netflix and it's OpenConnect spat with Comcast? Netflix demanding that Comcast colocate their appliances for free in order to give Netflix customers faster access to Netflix content. Fast-lane anyone? Favoring the big guy over the little guys? People who really wanted ISPs to treat all traffic equally would demand that Netflix comes in the front door the same as all other content providers who don't have the market clout or financial wherewithal to push out caching servers to ISPs. At the very least, ISPs should be free to charge Netflix to rack, power and maintain their equipment the same as they would anyone else who isn't a Netflix or Google.

I support what the FCC is doing to pare back the Obama-era regulations. But, regardless of which side you are on, realize that the debate is much more nuanced than the "freedom vs greed" black and white version that so many are peddling.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 12-16-2017 at 12:20.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    I support what the FCC is doing to pare back the Obama-era regulations.
    Why?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Why?
    Because if it is associated with Obama, it must be bad, even if in reality the proposed rollsbacks and changes are worse.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Forward to the victory, Donald!

I love companies like Comcast and Verizon, which own NBC-MSNBC and Huffington Post respectively!
    I dare to predict that these adorable liberal (fake-news, pro-communist, Muslim-controlled and etc.) media will greatly benefit from the end of net neutrality, so a nasty, little surprise awaits all Trump's fandom, who cheers for everything their idol does.

Conservatives supporting a move that will help Huffington Post to the detriment of Breitbart, a dream coming true?

Husar 

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Because if it is associated with Obama, it must be bad, even if in reality the proposed rollsbacks and changes are worse.
    I don't think Xiahou thinks of it as simple as that.
    As he hinted, he knows a lot about networking. So I'd expect a somewhat sensible reason from him or maybe he works for an ISP now and hopes for a wage increase.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Blog Entries

I don't think Xiahou thinks of it as simple as that.
    As he hinted, he knows a lot about networking. So I'd expect a somewhat sensible reason from him or maybe he works for an ISP now and hopes for a wage increase.
    I know Xiahou isn't that bad, I am very curious though, because I heard a lot of the roll-backs extend to pre-dial-up era regulation too.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Why?
    Becaues:
    1. There was no "emergency" that required them to cramdown their version of net neutrality using TItle2. They could have waited for a legislative solution.
    2. Title2 was the wrong vehicle push net neutrality and it came with a lot of regulatory baggage that was hurting infrastructure investment.
    3. I oppose net neutrality regulations generally. The Internet has grown to what it is today without it and is better off letting it continue to grow organically.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 12-18-2017 at 04:41.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    Becaues:
    1. There was no "emergency" that required them to cramdown their version of net neutrality using TItle2. They could have waited for a legislative solution.
    The legislature gives them the ability to determine the application of Title 2, yes? It was a exercise of the power within their authority. Regulatory agencies do not require "emergencies" to begin course corrections anyway...

2. Title2 was the wrong vehicle push net neutrality and it came with a lot of regulatory baggage that was hurting infrastructure investment.
    Possibly, but wholesale repeal of it lacks just as much nuance. Especially since the 'goal' of Net Neutrality was to maintain the status quo and prevent the market from resembling New Zealand and Portugal. Why is Ajit not waiting for a legislative solution?

3. I oppose net neutrality regulations generally. The Internet has grown to what it is today without it and is better off letting it continue to grow organically.
    The evolution of markets is a double edged sword. They change sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/filing/1051157755251

Just a sensible chuckle from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

(Literally) I think a lot of the people don't know what net neutrality is. The younger people I talk to have never heard of it. No wonder it got passed without enough opposition from the people.
    Wooooo!!!

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really hope that Facebook et al lay some extremely large fibre optics across Canada so as far as possible make this a problem for the USA and not the rest of the world.

Yes, this would not change anything overnight and possibly not even for years. But having such disruption possible by one country is unwise.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka_Khan View Post
    (Literally) I think a lot of the people don't know what net neutrality is.
    I completely agree.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    I really hope that Facebook et al lay some extremely large fibre optics across Canada so as far as possible make this a problem for the USA and not the rest of the world.

Yes, this would not change anything overnight and possibly not even for years. But having such disruption possible by one country is unwise.
    Taking another cue from China and creating the Great Trump Firewall ?

(Literally) I think a lot of the people don't know what net neutrality is. The younger people I talk to have never heard of it. No wonder it got passed without enough opposition from the people.
    I always find it to be the other way around as younger generations are more tech savvy so more invested and informed. For example, the whole kids on their phones at the dinner table trope with the older generation snubbing then, then the irony I had when my parents were on their phones because they "just discovered facebook", as in, they shunned it for years, suddenly got into it as their older friends are, and they are like "What is this?" like kids in a candy store and trying to instruct them on basic internet of 101 as they repost/resend everything inane and spammy thinking it is real like Jaden Smith trying to hack their computers.
    Last edited by Beskar; 12-21-2017 at 02:48.

There might be an ulterior motive. Think of how much about Trump you wouldn't know about if YouTube and certain news websites were too slow.

I always find it to be the other way around as younger generations are more tech savvy so more invested and informed.
    Come to think of it, I didn't ask the older people about this. When I look at my facebook, the one who criticized the repeal of net neutrality is my Calculus teacher who's now over 60 years old. He could be one of the few.
    Last edited by Shaka_Khan; 12-21-2017 at 05:04.
    Wooooo!!!

Blog Entries

There might be an ulterior motive. Think of how much about Trump you wouldn't know about if YouTube and certain news websites were too slow.
    There is very little chance of that.

Pretty much all of the information on trump's shortcomings are discovered and distributed through the major news companies, the likelyhood CNN or the Washington Post being throttled by ISPs is somewhat remote.

Even if they were to be targeted by the companies it is more likely that in the face of dying paper and cable revenues they would pay whatever ransom the ISP demands to maintain thier only growing sector.

I think that, whether through ignorance or plain not caring, this is one of those things trump doesnt hold in enough value to actually fight the republican interests over.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 12-21-2017 at 05:24.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Taking another cue from China and creating the Great Trump Firewall ?
    He said he'd build a wall. This one is cheaper and requires legislation.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries

Come to think of it, I didn't ask the older people about this. When I look at my facebook, the one who criticized the repeal of net neutrality is my Calculus teacher who's now over 60 years old. He could be one of the few.
    My facebook is full of messages like these from people:

Xiahou (and I guess Seamus by extension of his thanks) are the only people I encountered who dislike net neutrality. I have heard other American's saying that net neutrality should come under the first amendment due to the nature and shape of communications in society.
    Last edited by Beskar; 12-21-2017 at 19:17.

I think it's because you're lucky enough to find plenty of well-informed friends. Sadly, I wasn't as lucky as you are. I was ostracized by a couple of young groups for criticizing Trump when he was running for the candidacy. At that time, many of the people didn't know Trump's past. They just assumed fake news at any criticism on him. Claiming "fake news" is actually a good move that worked for Trump. At a time when the media was laughing at Trump, I already knew that there was a high possibility that he might win because of the young people I met.
    Last edited by Shaka_Khan; 12-23-2017 at 18:46.
    Wooooo!!!

Blog Entries

I think it's because you're lucky enough to find plenty of well-informed friends. Sadly, I wasn't as lucky as you are. I was ostracized by a couple of young groups for criticizing Trump when he was running for the candidacy. At that time, many of the people didn't know Trump's past. They just assumed fake news at any criticism on him. Claiming "fake news" is actually a good move that worked for Trump. At a time when the media was laughing at Trump, I already knew that there was a high possibility that he might win because of the young people I met.
    To hazard a guess, you are from a conversative majority area of the USA?
    I am from the UK, so whilst i have American friends, they tend to be liberals. I don't think I actually have any Republicans on my friends list... could be an explanation for the differences.

To hazard a guess, you are from a conversative majority area of the USA?
    I am from the UK, so whilst i have American friends, they tend to be liberals. I don't think I actually have any Republicans on my friends list... could be an explanation for the differences.
    There are a lot of conservative Americans around here. But most of the people in this area just don't care about the news. Some of the others actually agree with most of what Trump says. They don't like foreigners unless they're from Europe or Japan. They don't like Hispanics either.

I think people would get along if there wasn't so much prejudice going on. I know a guy who agrees with Trump's ban on certain countries and yet he flirts with an attractive Muslim Moroccan girl in France whom he gets text messages from. He showed me her photos. He also gets text messages from a Turkish girl in Germany despite the fact that Trump banned Turkish nationals from entering the States. I guess she isn't aware of the ban. I think girls have a thing with bald men. And being a carpenter, he's quite muscular. He dated a Korean girl when he stayed in Seoul for a month. But then the Moroccans and the Koreans aren't banned in the States. Despite the fact that he makes anti-Semitic jokes, which is a common ground that he has with the Moroccan girl, I bet that he'd go gaga over Gal Gadot if he saw her walk by.
    Last edited by Shaka_Khan; 12-24-2017 at 05:58.
    Wooooo!!!