Thread: 7 words you can't say (CDC edition)

Default 7 words you can't say (CDC edition)

The 7 bad words that may not appear in a CDC document or budget:

It has now banned the top US public health agency, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), from using seven words or phrases: “vulnerable,” “entitlement,” “diversity,” “transgender,” “fetus,” “evidence-based” and “science-based.”

Full article:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...now-forbidden/

Too bad George Carlin is no longer with us:

Ja-mata TosaInu

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: 7 words you can't say (CDC edition)

They (activists) kinda brought this upon themselves, if there is something to complain about I would start there

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What a very dumb thing I have read. I hope this is not true and as reliable as Fragony's unnamed sources or things are even worse in America than I thought.
    Last edited by Beskar; 12-17-2017 at 15:34.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

This has been heavily covered here in the USA. This directive was, indeed, issued.

I believe the original rationale behind the decision was to force the CDC to tone down what was perceived as an implicit leftist bias in the promulgations coming out of the CDC.

As seems to be the norm with this administration, this has been handled with the adroitness of a water buffalo jogging through the showroom of a purveyor of fine china. Any attempt at working with the CDC to ensure a more neutral tone has been dispensed with in favor of a backlash effort that is more blatantly rightist in its efforts than was the original "misbehavior" of the CDC.

I mean really, you cannot use the word fetus (foetus)? So as a matter of practicality you have to use "unborn child" instead? I am sure that nobody would see this as a sop to the evangelicals...
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    This has been heavily covered here in the USA. This directive was, indeed, issued.

I believe the original rationale behind the decision was to force the CDC to tone down what was perceived as an implicit leftist bias in the promulgations coming out of the CDC.

As seems to be the norm with this administration, this has been handled with the adroitness of a water buffalo jogging through the showroom of a purveyor of fine china. Any attempt at working with the CDC to ensure a more neutral tone has been dispensed with in favor of a backlash effort that is more blatantly rightist in its efforts than was the original "misbehavior" of the CDC.

I mean really, you cannot use the word fetus (foetus)? So as a matter of practicality you have to use "unborn child" instead? I am sure that nobody would see this as a sop to the evangelicals...
    Time-passed zygote?

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    What a very dumb thing I have read. I hope this is not true and as reliable as Fragony's unnamed sources or things are even worse in America than I thought.
    Let me put it this way. I can make things look scientific if you want me to, I got the psycholigy-degree to back it up, I can make total scientific though. Look at the words, all activist words. You reap what you sow and get pregnant what you imo
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 12-17-2017 at 20:59.

Blog Entries

I must admit feeling a certain schaudenfreude at this decree; those that so long agitated to police language finding its favoured tactic turned against their interests , it's like a morality tale.

Nevertheless, in the words of voltaire "I may disagree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". Like ceasar marching on rome; the other side may have broken the taboo first but that does not excuse further tresspass; this is crap.

A shortsighted abandonment of the moral high ground that comitts the cardinal sin of being not only immoral but entirely ineffective; policing language only suppresses expression it is an entirely ineffective method to actually change minds and shows to the world a complete lack of confidence in your position.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 12-17-2017 at 17:22.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Members thankful for this post (3):

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

With all these... things happening, one must wonder how the frack is America still the most powerful country in the world...

Blog Entries

...Why? What makes you think a nation's power is in anyway affected by this sort of thing?
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    With all these... things happening, one must wonder how the frack is America still the most powerful country in the world...
    My inner libertarian screams against this but these words are often misused and have lost their credibility. You can only go so far crying wolf and I can't disagree with puting a leash on it if these words are to be taken seriously, I can only agree with this even if I really shouldn't and kinda feel dirty doing so, but activists don't play a fair game either
    Last edited by Fragony; 12-18-2017 at 00:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post

It's almost as though trying to save people from catastrophes that could kill thousands or millions is too leftist for this administration.
    If I sound crazy to you, look at the last two words on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    ...Why? What makes you think a nation's power is in anyway affected by this sort of thing?
    Wait until they begin building military equipment without the use of "evidence-based" or "science-based" technology. Maybe Trump will buy a lot of "invisible tanks" that only intelligent people can see according to the manufacturer...Actually, I think I need to make a business plan...
    Last edited by Husar; 12-18-2017 at 01:44.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Blog Entries

I think if america's power can survive turning "torture" into "Enhanced interrogation" and "invasion" into "time-limited, scope-limited military action" america can survive this new round of deliberate euphamism.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 12-18-2017 at 02:42.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Although not great, it is pretty small fry.

Federal court appointments will have much more effect.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Members thankful for this post (3):

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    Compound growth.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Members thankful for this post (2):

It seems the CDC is walking back the 7 words memo.

“It’s absurd and Orwellian, it’s stupid and Orwellian, but they are not saying to not use the words in reports or articles or scientific publications or anything else the CDC does. They’re saying not to use it in your request for money because it will hurt you. It’s not about censoring what CDC can say to the American public. It’s about a budget strategy to get funded.”

The message is: "Play nice, and don't look to "trigger" the people who vote on your funding"
    Full article:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...re-not-banned/

I guess (?) that's better
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post
    It seems the CDC is walking back the 7 words memo.

“It’s absurd and Orwellian, it’s stupid and Orwellian, but they are not saying to not use the words in reports or articles or scientific publications or anything else the CDC does. They’re saying not to use it in your request for money because it will hurt you. It’s not about censoring what CDC can say to the American public. It’s about a budget strategy to get funded.”

The message is: "Play nice, and don't look to "trigger" the people who vote on your funding"
    Full article:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...re-not-banned/

I guess (?) that's better
    That's actually how the CCP rolls these days: "soft" censorship.

Rather than directly telling people what they can or cannot do, much easier to let them figure it out for themselves from innuendo and environment, and self-censor.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Blog Entries

If so it is simultaniously hillarious and depressing that congress is triggered by the words “evidence-based” and “science-based.”

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    That's actually how the CCP rolls these days: "soft" censorship.

Rather than directly telling people what they can or cannot do, much easier to let them figure it out for themselves from innuendo and environment, and self-censor.
    Concertive Control is always more effective in the long run than simple regulations etc.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken