Thread: Next Total War era Title

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Next Total War era Title

And it's Three Kingdoms:

Makes sense, thanks to the film industry, the Three Kingdoms is the most popular period of Chinese history. Personally, I'm not very excited, to be honest. The setting and the trailer imply a mix of history and fantasy with many mythical elements and a focus on heroic duels. A logical move from CA, because it allows her to combine the customers of both genres, but I am not thrilled.

EDIT: I am not sure who and why changed my title. It was more accurate than the revised version. The next historical title is the Saga game, the Thrones of Britannia. The major titles are now described as 'tentpoles' by CA employees themselves.
    Last edited by Crandar; 01-11-2018 at 19:38. Reason: Title.

Default Re: Next "tentpole" historical title

I'm wondering about the mix of history and fantasy too. However, since it seems to be lining up on the historical side, I wonder if we are reading too much into some of the scenes based on the fantasy/magic Warhammer predecessors. Too early to tell. Though I can't imagine CA tossing magic in a historical title - the howls of outrage would be deafening.
    This space intentionally left blank

CA has put up a FAQS page on Three Kingdoms. Not much in the way of detail yet, as expected. You can read the FAQS here.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

I am definitely intrigued. While the era isnt my favorite, I loved the film Red Cliff and the idea of heroes is pretty cool, considering that the Romance of the Three Kingdoms is almost mythical in China where you do have the type of heroes you see in the Warhammer games. Will definitely be keeping tabs on this.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

May I ask why the title was edited? The original was more accurate than the revised version. The next historical title is the Saga game, the Thrones of Britannia. The major titles are now described as 'tentpoles' by CA employees themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Crandar View Post
    May I ask why the title was edited? The original was more accurate than the revised version. The next historical title is the Saga game, the Thrones of Britannia. The major titles are now described as 'tentpoles' by CA employees themselves.
    CA may use the term "tentpole", but they didn't in the official announcement. They called it a "Total War era". Now, I know you are less than thrilled with the choice, but a new Total War title has just been announced(!!) - is a thread title, now moved the a brand, spankin' new forum, really something worth diminishing the magnitude of the announcement?

Member thankful for this post:

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

People have been asking for the Three Kingdoms for years, I suppose the potential of the Chinese market has finally brought CA around.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    People have been asking for the Three Kingdoms for years, I suppose the potential of the Chinese market has finally brought CA around.
    Yes, i remember since TotalWar: Rome and TotalWar Medival. How long has it been?
    A Member of Clan SG

"水无常形,兵无常势"

Default Re: Next Total War era Title

Makes sense, thanks to the film industry, the Three Kingdoms is the most popular period of Chinese history.
    There has been a "whatever Hollywood is doing" aspect to the franchise well, since it became a franchise...

Personally, I'm not very excited, to be honest.
    I haven't been excited about TW games (or games in general) for a long time, but each to their own.

fantasy with many mythical elements and a focus on heroic duels
    Ah... special hero characters on wires who can leap from rooftop to rooftop during sieges...?

That's what it looks, but maybe the trailer is a bit misleading. However, CA confirmed that it will be based on the epic of the Romance and not the Records, for whatever that may mean for the historicity of the franchise. In my opinion, it will be less accurate than the previous titles, exploiting the obscurity of that period among the customers, while heroes will probably be unkillable and similar to those of Warhammer, but without (hopefully) any magical abilities.

Matched combat as in what exactly?
    As in the long sequences of motion capture which broke unit balance by disrupting formations/leaving 'victorious' soldiers surrounded by enemy -> insta-dead.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...