Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next Total War era Title

Default Next Total War era Title

And it's Three Kingdoms:

Makes sense, thanks to the film industry, the Three Kingdoms is the most popular period of Chinese history. Personally, I'm not very excited, to be honest. The setting and the trailer imply a mix of history and fantasy with many mythical elements and a focus on heroic duels. A logical move from CA, because it allows her to combine the customers of both genres, but I am not thrilled.

EDIT: I am not sure who and why changed my title. It was more accurate than the revised version. The next historical title is the Saga game, the Thrones of Britannia. The major titles are now described as 'tentpoles' by CA employees themselves.
    Last edited by Crandar; 01-11-2018 at 19:38. Reason: Title.

Default Re: Next "tentpole" historical title

I'm wondering about the mix of history and fantasy too. However, since it seems to be lining up on the historical side, I wonder if we are reading too much into some of the scenes based on the fantasy/magic Warhammer predecessors. Too early to tell. Though I can't imagine CA tossing magic in a historical title - the howls of outrage would be deafening.
    This space intentionally left blank

CA has put up a FAQS page on Three Kingdoms. Not much in the way of detail yet, as expected. You can read the FAQS here.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

I am definitely intrigued. While the era isnt my favorite, I loved the film Red Cliff and the idea of heroes is pretty cool, considering that the Romance of the Three Kingdoms is almost mythical in China where you do have the type of heroes you see in the Warhammer games. Will definitely be keeping tabs on this.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

May I ask why the title was edited? The original was more accurate than the revised version. The next historical title is the Saga game, the Thrones of Britannia. The major titles are now described as 'tentpoles' by CA employees themselves.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

People have been asking for the Three Kingdoms for years, I suppose the potential of the Chinese market has finally brought CA around.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by Crandar View Post
    May I ask why the title was edited? The original was more accurate than the revised version. The next historical title is the Saga game, the Thrones of Britannia. The major titles are now described as 'tentpoles' by CA employees themselves.
    CA may use the term "tentpole", but they didn't in the official announcement. They called it a "Total War era". Now, I know you are less than thrilled with the choice, but a new Total War title has just been announced(!!) - is a thread title, now moved the a brand, spankin' new forum, really something worth diminishing the magnitude of the announcement?

Member thankful for this post:

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

About time they got to the 3 Kingdoms. So much that can be done in Asia that TW hasn't got to. And yes I would prefer it to have the options to play historical or warhammerish.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Husar 

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi View Post
    CA may use the term "tentpole", but they didn't in the official announcement. They called it a "Total War era". Now, I know you are less than thrilled with the choice, but a new Total War title has just been announced(!!) - is a thread title, now moved the a brand, spankin' new forum, really something worth diminishing the magnitude of the announcement?
    Yes, I understand, thanks for your explanation. In other news, unfortunately Jeff Van Dyck, who composed the music of Shogun will not be involved in the project.

Sweet
    This was the one I thought was pretty much most likely & most desirable.

Interesting they may be using Warhammer style Hero unit tech.
    While I am utterly uninterested in Warhammer a bunch of that tech can be used to produce some cool historical figures with relatively less fantasy abilities/buffs etc.
    And we've previously had the S:TW Kenzai heros before...

Possible hint at a change back towards old-style campaign map?

Probably not but one can live in hope

Happened on this vid which gives a nice overview of the historical background
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Warhammer's influence on the next historical TW games will clearly be seen, because it's a huge sales success for SEGA / CA and the formula will applied.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    People have been asking for the Three Kingdoms for years, I suppose the potential of the Chinese market has finally brought CA around.
    Yes, i remember since TotalWar: Rome and TotalWar Medival. How long has it been?
    A Member of Clan SG

"水无常形,兵无常势"

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lechev View Post
    Yes, i remember since TotalWar: Rome and TotalWar Medival. How long has it been?
    IIRC, I think the discussion dates back to the announcement of Med II. A lot of people thought it was too early to do a repeat, and wanted either pike and musket or Three Kingdoms.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

CA went for other areas and time frames because after all, Europe has been central in almost every TW game, bar the Shogun series. It's something very interesting to see because it's a fresh start with Warhammer influences.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

not my thing. medieval 3 or american civil war im in.

At some point, it will happen. Med 3 especially.

Proud

Been to:

I for one have been waiting for years for this announcement. Very happy, just hoping it's not fantasy, Warhammer type games are not for me.

Well, that's brought me out of the woodwork! Have you guys all been hanging out here all these years?

Quote Originally Posted by hoom View Post
    Possible hint at a change back towards old-style campaign map?

Probably not but one can live in hope
    I've always thought the 3D strategic layer was a mistake. I don't see CA ever going back to it, though.

I have been waiting for this for like 20 years. The spring release feels a bit rushed. I have read the Chinese book (most popular version) multiple times. Hopefully they will make a good game.

It will be released in autumn, not spring. I think you are confused with the Thrones of Britannia, whose release date is indeed scheduled in spring.

That being said, I agree with your observation. One former CA employee said that 3K existed only on paper a couple of months ago.

Add to that that the normal circle between announcement and release is slightly more than one year (Rome II: July '12 - September '13, Warhammer I: March 2015 - May 2016), so I'm a bit skeptical too.

Quote Originally Posted by xploring View Post
    I have been waiting for this for like 20 years. The spring release feels a bit rushed. I have read the Chinese book (most popular version) multiple times. Hopefully they will make a good game.
    Wow, i can't believed its been 20yrs since Shogun. How times flies. i still miss those old days where we had popular Clans like the Greywolves, RTK, Kenchikukas etc..
    A Member of Clan SG

"水无常形,兵无常势"

It was released in 2000 - STW - so indeed, it's been quite some time.

Proud

Been to:

The Philosopher Duke Member Suraknar's Avatar

Greetings all,

has been some time, hope all are well :)

I would just like to say that I am very very excited about this Title. It has been so many years I remember since Even the first Shogun TW that such an Era has been discussed and requested in these very forums. And finally it is being done :)

And it will be awesome.

I am currently playing Warhammer (Oh yes I love the Fantasy Universe of Warhammer having played the Tabletop collected the Games Workshop Miniatures etc) and I find it really Fun.

But I can already picture Three Kingdoms with that Engine! It will just be awesome!

Can't wait for it :)

Cheers!
    Last edited by Suraknar; 01-30-2018 at 03:46.
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"
    Traveled to: Over 70 Countries, most recent: and

~ Ask not what modding can do for you, rather ask what you can do for modding ~
    ~ Everyone dies, not everyone really fights ~

Good to see old faces around here

On the topic of the thread, we can probably expect some more detailed info in March. The game is up for release at the end of this year, per Steam.

Proud

Been to:

The Philosopher Duke Member Suraknar's Avatar

Good to see you too Edyz,

Thanks for the info! I shall be following it.

la revedere :)
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"
    Traveled to: Over 70 Countries, most recent: and

~ Ask not what modding can do for you, rather ask what you can do for modding ~
    ~ Everyone dies, not everyone really fights ~

I am excited for the setting but am very worried about the very inaccurate trailer. You had exciting and new forms of warfare in this timeperiod in this part of the world, but the trailer decided to go with stereotypical "idiots running out of formation with nothing but one handed swords/short spears."

Over half the weapons used during this timeperiod were crossbows, pikes, halberds, long polearms, etc...but in the trailer you basically see nobody with crossbows/pikes/halberds except 2 heroes fighting on foot with really short polearms...
    "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind...but there is one thing that science cannot accept - and that is a personal God who meddles in the affairs of his creation."
    -Albert Einstein

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

I definitely think they are going for the romanticized version, which did have those sorts of heroes who could take out whole units and such. I think they definitely saw the success of the Warhammer TW games and want to try that formula just minus the magic.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    I definitely think they are going for the romanticized version, which did have those sorts of heroes who could take out whole units and such. I think they definitely saw the success of the Warhammer TW games and want to try that formula just minus the magic.
    If they use the romance as a source I wouldn't discount the possibility of magic being included in some form.

So I started watching 2008 Red Cliffs movie (got distracted & only watched the start so far), whats the consensus on its historicity?
    Seems to have a pretty interesting selection of armor/weapons/unit types.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Quote Originally Posted by hoom View Post
    So I started watching 2008 Red Cliffs movie (got distracted & only watched the start so far), whats the consensus on its historicity? Seems to have a pretty interesting selection of armor/weapons/unit types.
    I'm no expert, but from what I've read/researched, the Red Cliff movie seems like garbage in terms of accuracy. It's not almost pure fantasy like 300, but it gets tons of stuff wrong and uses some semi-fictional elements.

1) The weapons and armor are incorrectly used or not portrayed correctly. The majority of weapons during the Han Dynasty were regular & heavy crossbows, pikes, halberds, long-halberds, and other types of polearms. Han Dynasty warfare heavily used pike and shot-esque combat with pikes/halberds and crossbows. Yet you don't see a single crossbow (they only show you the more niche repeating crossbows...which would've been more rare). They don't portray any of the common historical weapon formations - pikes, pike & crossbow, volley firing, etc.

The halberd (ji/daggeraxe-spear) is incorrectly portrayed as a slashing weapon, when in reality it was more of a armor piercing stabbing weapon that is swung like a warhammer and used to hook cavalry. This was a common weapon with a lot of variations, and they don't portray the other types (long halberd-pike hybrids, multi headed halberds, halberds with different secondary attachments such as cavalry hooks, etc)

The guandao/pudao (glaive looking polearm used by Guan Yu) wasn't wasn't invented until the Tang Dynasty a few centuries later...although this is not that big of a deal since it was basically a dao on a polearm so it may have existed.

And most of the soldiers are equipped with short 1-handed spears that for some odd reason they carry with two hands and they carry nothing in the other hand. That makes no sense - one handed spears are always carried with shields. Even shorter halberds are carried with shield. Shields are also one of the cheapest and most effective forms of protection. Everybody with a one handed weapon SHOULD be carrying a shield. Only two handed weapons (pikes, crossbows, long halberds, etc) would be used without shields.

2) The armor is off. One of the characters wears plated chainmail...which wasn't even invented until the medieval era in the Middle East/South Asia. That might be the inspiration for the plated chainmail Lu Bu wears in this 3K trailer.

The infantry are wearing leather caps combined with what should be metal lamellar (some infantry seems to be wearing non-overlapping coat of plates, which is inaccurate). Leather caps are light infantry/light cavalry helmets used during the Western Han period when they were mostly used lacquered rawhide lamellar from the Qin era. It makes little sense that they would be wearing light infantry Western-Han era helmets with heavier infantry Eastern-Han era body armor. The lamellar helmets are also more Western Han era in design, as they used more rigid helmets by the Eastern Han era iirc (although lamellar helmets could have still been in use, the movie leaves out the rigid helmet types). Not sure why nobody has shoulder guards except the generals, as these were pretty common for standard armored infantry dating back to the Qin Dynasty/Warring States era as seen by artifacts and terra cotta warriors.

All factions are also incorrectly portrayed as wearing the same armor and weapons...which would be inaccurate. The factions didn't have the same industrial and manufacturing base, so they had to make do with different armor designs and materials. Eastern Wu was a naval/marine/infantry power in the subtropical jungle and mountains of South China, so it makes no sense they're using the same weapons and armors as Tsao-Wei, which was more cavalry + pike/halberd oriented power around the central Chinese plains.

3) The formations are a joke. The infantry semi-circle only has a single line of troops which would be easily broken with a cavalry charge. The spinning turtle-tank formation created from small shields is total fiction. Again, you don't see any common historical formations portrayed as at all (pike formations, pike and crossbow formations, repeating crossbow volley fire formations, etc)
    Last edited by Intranetusa; 02-15-2018 at 05:10.
    "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind...but there is one thing that science cannot accept - and that is a personal God who meddles in the affairs of his creation."
    -Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast