Thread: Next Total War era Title

Default Next Total War era Title

And it's Three Kingdoms:

Makes sense, thanks to the film industry, the Three Kingdoms is the most popular period of Chinese history. Personally, I'm not very excited, to be honest. The setting and the trailer imply a mix of history and fantasy with many mythical elements and a focus on heroic duels. A logical move from CA, because it allows her to combine the customers of both genres, but I am not thrilled.

EDIT: I am not sure who and why changed my title. It was more accurate than the revised version. The next historical title is the Saga game, the Thrones of Britannia. The major titles are now described as 'tentpoles' by CA employees themselves.
    Last edited by Crandar; 01-11-2018 at 19:38. Reason: Title.

Default Re: Next "tentpole" historical title

I'm wondering about the mix of history and fantasy too. However, since it seems to be lining up on the historical side, I wonder if we are reading too much into some of the scenes based on the fantasy/magic Warhammer predecessors. Too early to tell. Though I can't imagine CA tossing magic in a historical title - the howls of outrage would be deafening.
    This space intentionally left blank

CA has put up a FAQS page on Three Kingdoms. Not much in the way of detail yet, as expected. You can read the FAQS here.

Stranger in a strange land Forum Administrator Hooahguy's Avatar

I am definitely intrigued. While the era isnt my favorite, I loved the film Red Cliff and the idea of heroes is pretty cool, considering that the Romance of the Three Kingdoms is almost mythical in China where you do have the type of heroes you see in the Warhammer games. Will definitely be keeping tabs on this.
    Reunification: a Marcomanni AAR (on permanent hiatus)
    Zalmoxis's Lightning: a Getae AAR (finished)
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    (finished)

Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

May I ask why the title was edited? The original was more accurate than the revised version. The next historical title is the Saga game, the Thrones of Britannia. The major titles are now described as 'tentpoles' by CA employees themselves.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

People have been asking for the Three Kingdoms for years, I suppose the potential of the Chinese market has finally brought CA around.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by Crandar View Post
    May I ask why the title was edited? The original was more accurate than the revised version. The next historical title is the Saga game, the Thrones of Britannia. The major titles are now described as 'tentpoles' by CA employees themselves.
    CA may use the term "tentpole", but they didn't in the official announcement. They called it a "Total War era". Now, I know you are less than thrilled with the choice, but a new Total War title has just been announced(!!) - is a thread title, now moved the a brand, spankin' new forum, really something worth diminishing the magnitude of the announcement?

Member thankful for this post:

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

About time they got to the 3 Kingdoms. So much that can be done in Asia that TW hasn't got to. And yes I would prefer it to have the options to play historical or warhammerish.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi View Post
    CA may use the term "tentpole", but they didn't in the official announcement. They called it a "Total War era". Now, I know you are less than thrilled with the choice, but a new Total War title has just been announced(!!) - is a thread title, now moved the a brand, spankin' new forum, really something worth diminishing the magnitude of the announcement?
    Yes, I understand, thanks for your explanation. In other news, unfortunately Jeff Van Dyck, who composed the music of Shogun will not be involved in the project.

Sweet
    This was the one I thought was pretty much most likely & most desirable.

Interesting they may be using Warhammer style Hero unit tech.
    While I am utterly uninterested in Warhammer a bunch of that tech can be used to produce some cool historical figures with relatively less fantasy abilities/buffs etc.
    And we've previously had the S:TW Kenzai heros before...

Possible hint at a change back towards old-style campaign map?

Probably not but one can live in hope

Happened on this vid which gives a nice overview of the historical background
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Ja mata, TosaInu Moderator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Warhammer's influence on the next historical TW games will clearly be seen, because it's a huge sales success for SEGA / CA and the formula will applied.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

10 years+ at the Org

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    People have been asking for the Three Kingdoms for years, I suppose the potential of the Chinese market has finally brought CA around.
    Yes, i remember since TotalWar: Rome and TotalWar Medival. How long has it been?
    A Member of Clan SG

"水无常形,兵无常势"

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lechev View Post
    Yes, i remember since TotalWar: Rome and TotalWar Medival. How long has it been?
    IIRC, I think the discussion dates back to the announcement of Med II. A lot of people thought it was too early to do a repeat, and wanted either pike and musket or Three Kingdoms.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Ja mata, TosaInu Moderator edyzmedieval's Avatar

CA went for other areas and time frames because after all, Europe has been central in almost every TW game, bar the Shogun series. It's something very interesting to see because it's a fresh start with Warhammer influences.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

10 years+ at the Org