Thread: US Government "Shutdown" begins as of 1201 Eastern

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default US Government "Shutdown" begins as of 1201 Eastern

The legacy of the last few shutdowns is clear. GOP always look worse than Dem. Deals always get made when they see who is losing public opinion support fastest.

All of my government's budget and funding and taxation efforts are errant nonsense. I honestly don't know why the rest of the world doesn't just laugh and call in our markers (okay, I sorta do, but sheesh).

Congress: America's only inherent "criminal class."
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Default Re: US Government "Shutdown" begins as of 1201 Eastern

GOP took back the Senate after Cruz shutdown the government.

Shutdowns look bad for the party in control, not the ones causing it. Unless the Dems drop the ball on PR again.

I would suspect that the GOP, ideologically, stands more to gain in the long-term from government shutdowns than the Democrats.

Democrats are very skilled at flushing short-term victories and boosts down the toilet.

Most shockingly, the most lucid and introspective statement I've ever seen coming from the Trump twitter feed:

My sense is that people are far angrier at the President than they are at Congress re the shutdown—an interesting turn!
    Spittakes, please. It's too compact to be staffer-authored I think.

EDIT: I WAS FOOLED

I WAS FOOLED

CHECK THE DATE
    Last edited by Montmorency; 01-20-2018 at 06:53.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

I guess I shouldn't be surprised it came to a shut down. A natural result of of putting all legislative items into gigantic bills with intense negotiations over every fringe addition instead of over the core items that are then held hostage as a result. If they held debates on separate items such as immigration, DACA, border funding, and so on they might actually have real negotiations over policies instead of party line votes that try to impose their way on everything.
    Having elections that are really just so that one party can try get the majority and then impose their will on the other leaves the rest of us in the country. It was a sign of things to come that ACA/Obamacare passed with essentially no Republican votes. Now the Republicans are trying to do the same but without the necessary super-majority.

I hope this is cleared up over the weekend and doesn't run on too long.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

It was a sign of things to come that ACA/Obamacare passed with essentially no Republican votes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/20/o...democracy.html

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...liberal-tenets

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/18/demo...ommentary.html

Isn't this a clarion call for Democrats to stop trying to pass Republican policies, and get a genuine new platform?
    Vitiate Man.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Now that Im in DC, I get to witness the full effect of this shutdown. Going to try to see some of the Smithsonians before they close on Monday.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Enjoy the reduced rush hour traffic!
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

And just like that, it's over.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

First time in my adult life that the GOP did not shoulder all the blame for a shutdown. Kinda weird.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    First time in my adult life that the GOP did not shoulder all the blame for a shutdown. Kinda weird.
    I hope this doesn't turn into a series of mini-shutdowns.

The GOP's unofficial slogan is: "Government doesn't work, elect us and we'll prove it." If they will deliberately throw the game when they have <appropriate sports metaphor // control the government> there must be a perception that the consequences are all to their advantage.
    Vitiate Man.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    And just like that, it's over.
    Just to waste your time.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Shows how much government is really "needed".....unless you're some dependent dead beat who never grew up and have the same sense of responsibility as a jiggling turd of primordial ooze who has to have a master tell them everything they need to do or they die.
    RIP Tosa

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

There is another threat of shutdown on February 8th if a long term spending bill isnt passed. I kinda think that while the optics are all over the place with this very brief shutdown, the long game goes to the Democrats. While they didnt get their goal on DACA, they did get the Children’s Health Insurance Program funded for the next 6 years or so. And the GOP said they would address DACA in the next month so that basically means if nothing is agreed to on DACA by the 8th there will be another shutdown. What I do not seem to get is how the GOP can claim the Democrats are obstructing when the GOP controls Congress plus the White House.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore