Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What media Americans trust

Default What media Americans trust

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DUIHfndWkAA8YJF.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	20485

I was shocked. USA Today is more trusted than CNN!
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What media Americans trust

Surely it depends on what they think - I doubt in the UK those who read the Daily Mail trust the Guardian; I imagine in the USA being so much bigger and so much more polarised leads to more polarised results. I try to read from those publications I disagree with to get the views of those outside my "bubble".

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

I thought Yahoo was a search engine? And the Yahoo News section just showed articles from outside news sources.
    Wooooo!!!

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I don't know America Today, but CNN is pretty bad..'

Members thankful for this post (2):

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    I don't know America Today, but CNN is pretty bad..'
    They say that USA Today is somewhat like The Sun in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    They say that USA Today is somewhat like The Sun in the UK.
    Dutch equivalent of the Sun is the biggest here, not that they can't be trusted but I don't like their style, I dislike screaming headlines. The 'quality newspapers' really aren't that though. It's ok to be biased that I don't mind, but don't pretend to be something you aren't, they are mostly lifestyle-magazines with good articles but for news you have better options

Well clutch my pearls!
    The government deliberately lied on immigration:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/team-t...-terror-report

Yippee!
    The gov't gets in the game of "fake news"
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Of the top 7, 5 are foreign (4 English) and two are Public Radio/TV (British-Lite in style).

In other words, we have this funny tendency to trust Journalism outlets that still report the malfing facts and clearly separate them from their opinion stuff.

You think I have been deriding the US News Media and US journalists in general without any basis?

You have little idea how good your news outlets are compared to ours.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

US News is catered toward whatever audience already watches them. Each network caters to people that love and need their echo chamber to confirm whats wrong with the other. Watch MSNBC only and you'll be sure the Republicans are all evil, watch Fox News and you'll be sure that the Democrats are trying to pioneer the downfall of America. CNN leans left but not as blatantly as MSNBC.

When we still had Al Jazeera America I'd switch to watching that when we'd be stuck on some stupid small story that was getting 24hr coverage despite being relatively unimportant (Prince, Kardashians, etc...).

The evening news is pretty much the most comprehensive and trust worthy but unfortunately only watched by the elderly it seems. I regularly watch PBS Newshour and BBC, sometimes I'll watch NHK if PBS is airing it. I do switch between the 3 cable news networks during lunch though to see the differing coverage of the same story. On my phone I switch between reading the news from the following apps: PBS Newshour, BBC News, France 24, Deutsche Welle, ORF.

I think one of the reasons British news is so trusted is probably because it doesn't fall into the trap of over covering one story. When CNN is giving their minute by minute coverage or count down of some event you can miss a hell of a lot of news that's only covered in the ticker scrolling the bottom of the screen. British news casts cover the whole world of events instead of our purely domestic focuses (Catalan thing was barely covered on cable news networks).

The worry for me is that the two most extreme networks have the highest viewership rates despite being 'untrusted'
    http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/basic...st-2017/339773

RATINGS
    Fox News and MSNBC Are No. 1 and No. 2 Most-Watched Cable Networks in August

Americans continue to be enthralled by cable news, and it continues to show in the ratings department. Each of the big three cable news networks finished in the top 5 across basic cable across total day viewership (6 a.m. – 6 a.m.)

During the month of August 2017, Fox News topped all of basic cable in total day viewers, per Nielsen data. This is the 14th straight month Fox News has accomplished this feat. Additionally, FNC was the most-watched basic cable network in prime time, notching a monthly total viewer victory in prime time six of the past eight months.

Fox News also posted audience growth in August 2017 relative to its August 2016. The network was +6 percent in prime time viewers, and +7 percent in total day viewers from last year.

With Adults 25-54, Fox News posted +25 percent growth in prime time, and +28 percent growth in total day.

MSNBC continues to thrive ratings-wise in 2017. The network finished August 2017 No. 2 basic cable both in prime time and in total day viewers. The network posted +63 percent prime time viewer growth, +55 percent growth in the prime time demo, +54 percent growth in total day viewers, and +40 percent growth in the total day demo versus August 2016.

CNN had a solid month in its own right, finishing in the top 10 in total viewers, both in prime time and in total day. The network posted +41 percent growth in total prime time viewers, +54 percent growth in the prime time A25-54 demo, +22 percent growth in total day viewers and +39 percent growth in the total day demo versus August 2016.

Armed with a re-vamped lineup in the afternoon and early evenings, CNN’s sister network HLN held steady in total prime time viewers but posted +2 percent growth in total day viewers from Aug. 2016.

Additionally, here are the five most-watched basic cable networks of August 2017:

Top 5 Basic Cable Networks of August 2017 (Prime Time)
    Fox News (2,206,000)
    MSNBC (1,835,000)
    USA (1,499,000)
    HGTV (1,429,000)
    TBS (1,258,000)

Top 5 Basic Cable Networks: August 2017 (Total Day)
    Fox News (1,345,000)
    Nickelodeon (1,165,000)
    MSNBC (1,002,000)
    CNN (832,000)
    Adult Swim (809,000)
    Last edited by spmetla; 01-23-2018 at 05:21.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

Quote Originally Posted by spmetla View Post
    US News is catered toward whatever audience already watches them.
    Was free speech a mistake?
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

No, there are journalists that do seek truth and try to air it. That might however mean telling people things they don't want to hear which is why it's drowned out by other news. It's more profitable to cash in on peoples pre-existing bias. In the mean time people get to choose which truth is true to them. Even with the faults of our media I'm glad we don't have an official news outlet. I'd hate to see how President fake-news would use such a network to undermine our current flawed outlets.
    Having occasionally looked at Tass and People's Daily I'm quite content with free though flawed speech.
    Last edited by spmetla; 01-23-2018 at 07:17.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

At least you know who is biased, the official news-outlet has the nickname 'state-channel'', for a reason. Confidence is still too high though

@all: Can televised/video format ever be the equal of the old written word?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Quote Originally Posted by spmetla View Post
    No, there are journalists that do seek truth and try to air it. That might however mean telling people things they don't want to hear which is why it's drowned out by other news. It's more profitable to cash in on peoples pre-existing bias. In the mean time people get to choose which truth is true to them. Even with the faults of our media I'm glad we don't have an official news outlet. I'd hate to see how President fake-news would use such a network to undermine our current flawed outlets.
    Having occasionally looked at Tass and People's Daily I'm quite content with free though flawed speech.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_News_Update

The worry for me is that the two most extreme networks have the highest viewership rates despite being 'untrusted'
    They're untrusted in polling because everyone has an opinion on them (market penetration).
    Last edited by Montmorency; 01-23-2018 at 12:42.
    Vitiate Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Printed media are definitely preferable. Because one can't sleep with a TV or a computer monitor covering your face.

A wimpful display.

Here's the real deal, in all its North Korean glory: https://www.facebook.com/DonaldTrump...0461276665725/

Compare the two "girls" to these two:

If you need a hint, the similarities begin with the fake smiles.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrossLOPER View Post
    Was free speech a mistake?
    No, but nobody ever said freedom came without a price.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Can any of them ever beat the healthy anarchy that is the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Can any of them ever beat the healthy anarchy that is the internet?
    So the internet has neither word nor video and anarchy is healthy?

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

No, that much has been quite clear.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Member thankful for this post:

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

I just read Emperor Trump's Twitter feed. Its the only information that turns out to be true in the end. The whole time I imagine a bunch of beta cucked Euro-weenies shaking and whimpering in a fetal position as the amount of brutal harsh truth incinerates their drug dilated pupils more than when they watch their women being brutalized by third world invaders. It makes my nipples perk up like a pair of mint cone ice creams flipped upside down and plunged on the forehead of some high school band nerd getting pummeled by an entire horde of steroid using jocks....
    RIP Tosa

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    No, but nobody ever said freedom came without a price.
    In this case, we should probably take price literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave View Post
    beta cucked Euro-weenies
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ8EAwRauoM
    drug dilated pupils
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNj89ohoYQ0
    women being brutalized
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5Wec7DPVqE

Your "emperor" should enact a tariff on glass houses.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Quote Originally Posted by CrossLOPER View Post
    Don't taunt wolves from within glass houses; they'll right smash the sucker to get at your meat.

Fight them abroad so you don't have to fight them at home.
    Vitiate Man.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Don't taunt wolves from within glass houses; they'll right smash the sucker to get at your meat.

Fight them abroad so you don't have to fight them at home.
    Better yet, facilitate them fighting each other - don't block them those that wish getting there, ensure they never leave.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Machi-award for Rory

Blog Entries

TV news is dying. Press F to pay respects.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

FFF

F for Fluff you very much. I don't need no bedtime-story moms
    Last edited by Beskar; 01-30-2018 at 17:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    No, that much has been quite clear.
    I think it could, it just takes more effort on the part of the journalist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast