Thread: Gah!

Default Gah!

Great hockey game! (despite the disappointing outcome)
    Canada and U.S.A. battled for gold
    2-2 after 3 periods; tied after shootout; America scores unanswered goal in next round
    It was exhausting to watch, it must have been sheer h*** on the players

https://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article...pic-reign.html

Congratulations to the US for the win
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: Gah!

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post

Pathetic that our men did not even get out of the quarterfinals. I mean, the Czech Republic? And we lost to Slovenia earlier? I can understand losing to Russia, but really, we did not do a good showing this year.

Then again, my Dutch half loves the speedskating.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

The Netherlands is taking everything, just relax

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Great hockey game! (despite the disappointing outcome)
    Canada and U.S.A. battled for gold
    2-2 after 3 periods; tied after shootout; America scores unanswered goal in next round
    It was exhausting to watch, it must have been sheer h*** on the players

https://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article...pic-reign.html

Sad really. Tied, then tied after shootout, my thoughts are hand out golds to both squads. What the heck more can you expect from them?
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

More Gah!
    Oh the shame!
    Bad enough the women lost to USA in hockey, but the men in curling!?

https://ca.reuters.com/article/sport...CN1G61WH-OCASP

Alas, we shall be a nation in sack cloth and ashes til the next Olympics
    Ja-mata TosaInu

More Gah!
    Oh the shame!
    Bad enough the women lost to USA in hockey, but the men in curling!?
    How did THAT happen? Were the American curlers immigrants from Canada, because I think all of about fifteen people in America curl. Either that or the Canadian team had immigrants from America, maybe those who left after our last election.
    Last edited by Vincent Butler; 02-22-2018 at 21:55.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Butler View Post
    How did THAT happen? Were the American curlers immigrants from Canada, because I think all of about fifteen people in America curl. Either that or the Canadian team had immigrants from America, maybe those who left after our last election.
    More like Canada v Minn/Wisc. Those states take curling seriously.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    More like Canada v Minn/Wisc. Those states take curling seriously.
    Ah. I am enlightened now. Here in Alaska, we are out of touch with the rest of the country. We actually do have a curling club here in my city, but I don't know how many people are members.

Bad enough that the misery (above) should occur.
    But to lose at hockey!@? To Germany!!!???
    Indeed we live in a topsy-turvy world; there is no up/down, right/left, sin or virtue. The human experiment has failed

https://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article...d-germany.html

The only religion in Canada worth the name has shown itself false, I await the apocalypse
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Ah. I am enlightened now. Here in Alaska, we are out of touch with the rest of the country. We actually do have a curling club here in my city, but I don't know how many people are members.
    7 Minnesotans and 3 Cheese-heads out of 10. I am not saying ya'll don't curl in Alaska, just that the other 48 states are clearly on the back burner on this sport.

Pathetic that our men did not even get out of the quarterfinals. I mean, the Czech Republic? And we lost to Slovenia earlier? I can understand losing to Russia, but really, we did not do a good showing this year.

Then again, my Dutch half loves the speedskating.
    It turns out in aggregate, the 2018 Olympics results are shaping up to look a lot like the 2014 results. Other than the Russia thing, No, the other Russia thing. The other other Russia thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if this were the stable equilibrium for recent history. Don't know if anyone has dominated like Norway this year.

Country Gold Silver Bronze TOTAL
    Norway 13 14 10 37
    Germany 13 7 6 26
    Canada 10 8 9 27
    United States of America 8 7 6 21
    Netherlands 8 6 4 18

Russia 11 9 9 29
    Norway 11 5 10 26
    Canada 10 10 5 25
    United States of America 9 7 12 28
    Netherlands 8 7 9 24
    Germany 8 6 5 19
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Congratulations U.S.A.!
    USA vs Sweden 10-7 final.
    Team USA made the shots that mattered; after a bit of a shaky start to the Olympics they played tough right to the end
    As one commentator put it: A US gold is probably the price of the game "taking off".
    Well done!

I have been unable to find a post showing Sweden's skip and his final rock delivery where he did a spinning release from the hack; CBC only caught the end of it when I was watching last night
    Last edited by HopAlongBunny; 02-24-2018 at 18:11. Reason: corrected score
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Member Member Asteroids Champion, Run N Gun Champion, Hook Line & Sinker Champion, Zoo Keeper Champion, Street Racer Champion, Pipe Mania Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Boxteroid Champion, Spider Jump Champion, Asteroids 2k3 Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Desert Battle Champion, Soap Bubble Champion, Burger Time Champion, Bug Juice Champion, Plastic Saucer Champion, Quick Shot Champion, Shuriken Challenge Champion, James Bomb Champion, Gary Golf Champion, Red Beard Champion, Crazy Cars Champion, Cell-Out Champion, Space Runner Champion, Submarine Champion, Space Rescue Champion, Roller Blaze Champion, Cub Shoot 2 Champion, Radial Snake Champion, Kirby's Star Scramble Champion, Chicken Champion, Shootout Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Space Hunter Champion, Jail Break Champion, Squirrel Soccer Champion, Mouse Kill Champion, Treasure Diver Champion, Stuart's Xtreme Skateboarding Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Takion Champion, Jet Pac Stan Champion, Warthog Launch Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Gandys Quest Champion, Iceberg Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion, Shoot The Gatso Champion, QB Challenge Champion, Fall Down Champion, Invasion 2196 Champion, Frogger Champion, Skeleton Park Champion, Slack Man Champion, Fishing the Sea Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Ollie Skates Champion, Duck Tracker Champion, Bunny Grab Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, jetpacker Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Lift Champion, Brighton Bounty Champion, V:force Champion, Twelve Swap Champion, Tiger Moth Champion, Super Mario Mushroom Champion, Rotation Champion, Jack's Bar Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Ninja Turtles 2 Champion, Ping Champion, Killer Bob Champion, Cop-For-This Champion, Battle of Helms Deep Champion, Life Bouy Champion, Ice Racer Champion, Ghost 2000 Champion, Its Mine Champion, Home Run Rally Champion, Alien Invasion Champion, Homeland Defense Champion, KF 9000 Champion, Stick Avalanche Champion, Paintball Champion, What-A-Shot Champion, Reactor Champion, Grand Prix Challenge 2 Champion, Mars Patrol Champion, Starcastle Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Sonny Sunshine Champion, Home Run Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Pin Headz Champion, Fun Santa Champion, Mission Mars Champion, Tontie Champion ConjurerDragon's Avatar

Bad enough that the misery (above) should occur.
    But to lose at hockey!@? To Germany!!!???
    Indeed we live in a topsy-turvy world; there is no up/down, right/left, sin or virtue. The human experiment has failed

https://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article...d-germany.html

The only religion in Canada worth the name has shown itself false, I await the apocalypse
    Ones loss is the others gain

And even the weather seems to celebrate german icehockey by sending us a week of siberian cold that starts this weekend
    https://www.wetter.de/cms/jetzt-komm...r-4143856.html
    Last edited by ConjurerDragon; 02-24-2018 at 15:58.

Congratulations U.S.A.!
    USA vs Sweden 10-7 final.
    Team USA made the shots that mattered; after a bit of a shaky start to the Olympics they played tough right to the end
    As one commentator put it: A US gold is probably the price of the game "taking off".
    Well done!

I have been unable to find a post showing Sweden's skip and his final rock delivery where he did a spinning release from the hack; CBC only caught the end of it when I was watching last night
    Perhaps if the Olympics allowed the event to be played as it is in clubs? You know, quaff a beer after each end with a break after the 5th or 6th to have a good piss? Broadcast THAT and you can watch bowling lanes being switched over to curling lanes world round!

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    It turns out in aggregate, the 2018 Olympics results are shaping up to look a lot like the 2014 results. Other than the Russia thing, No, the other Russia thing. The other other Russia thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if this were the stable equilibrium for recent history. Don't know if anyone has dominated like Norway this year.

Norway 13 14 10 37
    Germany 13 7 6 26
    Canada 10 8 9 27
    Netherlands 8 6 4 18

Russia 11 9 9 29
    Norway 11 5 10 26
    Canada 10 10 5 25
    Netherlands 8 7 9 24
    Germany 8 6 5 19
    Norway's 5.2M persons generated a team that earned 37 medals. That can be measured in PPM without a decimal place! My country has 16 fewer medals despites 264+ millions more people.

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post

Norway 13 14 10 37
    Germany 13 7 6 26
    Canada 10 8 9 27
    Netherlands 8 6 4 18

Russia 11 9 9 29
    Norway 11 5 10 26
    Canada 10 10 5 25
    Netherlands 8 7 9 24
    Germany 8 6 5 19
    Norway's 5.2M persons generated a team that earned 37 medals. That can be measured in PPM without a decimal place! My country has 16 fewer medals despites 264+ millions more people.

The ladies 30 km was not even close.
    The Norwegian Marit Bjoergen was a machine! A beautiful machine at that; she pushed from the start and never let up.
    She is now the undisputed most decorated athlete ever in the Winter Olympics; and despite the tone of the link, she has apparently not announced a retirement from competition yet:

https://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article...ntry-gold.html
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Germany played a great game against OAR!
    After humbling Canada they almost defeated the Russians for gold; great game!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...key-gold-medal

That's the sort of action that keeps people watching hockey
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Members thankful for this post (2):

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    They beat our 2010 record for most medals, and they tied Canada's 2010 record for most gold medals.

They're sorry.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

They are taking humbleness to a new high. A bit too far, really. Nothing is wrong with a little quiet pride over well-earned accomplishments.