Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battle Map Editor - Q & A's

I worked about several months very intense with the map-editor and the definitions and I thought that I should share my knowledge to everyone that is interrested.
    So the time was right when you started the thread.
    »Erzähle, Wandrer, wenn du nach Sparta kommst, daß wir, seinen Gesetzen gehorsam, hier gefallen sind.«

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

Antalis,
    Either I´m getting old, am a slow learner or I´m getting tired. Explain to me the following:

1. Can I pre-determine specific province maps for specific provinces or do I stand the risk of them popping up somewhere else with the same attributes?
    2. I can pre-determine a specific castle-map to a specific province, can´t I?
    3. Can I pre-determine which province-map that will be used weather the attack comes from? Example:

Sea
    Pomerania Prussia Lithuania
    Poland

I want to be able to make a shore-map for the "sea-attack", a coast-map for the "Pomerania & Lithuania attacks" and finaly a inland-map for the "Poland-attack". All linked and only used for Prussia.

Defining a specific map to a specific region:

To your questions:

1. Well: Yes and no.

You can define a specific custom battlemap for a specific province: But the problem is, that you only can have about 15-20 such working provinces (maybe a few more).

All you need to do is: Give your specific map a unic name, which no other map has: like: "mountaininland01" (delete all other mountaininlandmaps in your folder or invent a new name that fits to the definition rules. Read the post above).
    Only one map has then such a name in the Maps folder and only this map will then be used for a specific province and its definition:

As an example:

If you want to have a specific battlefieldmap only in Hungary appearing:

So search every province which has a connection to Hungary:
    Thats the following provinces:

SetBorderInfo:: ID_BOHEMIA ID_HUNGARY 17696 10656 0 LUSH AT_EASTERN_EUROPEAN INLAND HLL2FLT NO_RIVER

SetBorderInfo:: ID_AUSTRIA ID_HUNGARY 16888 12264 0 LUSH AT_EASTERN_EUROPEAN INLAND FLAT RIVER

SetBorderInfo:: ID_CROATIA ID_HUNGARY 16912 13496 0 LUSH AT_EASTERN_EUROPEAN INLAND HILLY NO_RIVER

SetBorderInfo:: ID_SERBIA ID_HUNGARY 18304 13600 0 LUSH AT_EASTERN_EUROPEAN INLAND HILLY RIVER

SetBorderInfo:: ID_BULGARIA ID_HUNGARY 19320 13600 0 LUSH AT_EASTERN_EUROPEAN INLAND HLL2FLT NO_RIVER

SetBorderInfo:: ID_WALLACHIA ID_HUNGARY 19920 13392 0 LUSH AT_EASTERN_EUROPEAN INLAND MNT2FLT NO_RIVER

SetBorderInfo:: ID_CARPATHIA ID_HUNGARY 20368 11104 0 LUSH AT_EASTERN_EUROPEAN INLAND HLL2FLT NO_RIVER

SetBorderInfo:: ID_POLAND ID_HUNGARY 19144 9992 0 LUSH AT_EASTERN_EUROPEAN INLAND HLL2FLT NO_RIVER

Now change theire definitions to mountaininland:
    like this:

SetBorderInfo:: ID_BOHEMIA ID_HUNGARY 17696 10656 0 LUSH AT_EASTERN_EUROPEAN INLAND MOUNTAIN NO_RIVER

SetBorderInfo:: ID_AUSTRIA ID_HUNGARY 16888 12264 0 LUSH AT_EASTERN_EUROPEAN INLAND MOUNTAIN NO_RIVER

SetBorderInfo:: ID_CROATIA ID_HUNGARY 16912 13496 0 LUSH AT_EASTERN_EUROPEAN INLAND MOUNTAIN NO_RIVER

SetBorderInfo:: ID_SERBIA ID_HUNGARY 18304 13600 0 LUSH AT_EASTERN_EUROPEAN INLAND MOUNTAIN NO_RIVER

SetBorderInfo:: ID_BULGARIA ID_HUNGARY 19320 13600 0 LUSH AT_EASTERN_EUROPEAN INLAND MOUNTAIN NO_RIVER

SetBorderInfo:: ID_WALLACHIA ID_HUNGARY 19920 13392 0 LUSH AT_EASTERN_EUROPEAN INLAND MOUNTAIN NO_RIVER

SetBorderInfo:: ID_CARPATHIA ID_HUNGARY 20368 11104 0 LUSH AT_EASTERN_EUROPEAN INLAND MOUNTAIN NO_RIVER

SetBorderInfo:: ID_POLAND ID_HUNGARY 19144 9992 0 LUSH AT_EASTERN_EUROPEAN INLAND MOUNTAIN NO_RIVER

Like you can see, all this FROM - TO definitions have now INLAND + MOUNTAIN NO_RIVER defined.

So if you only have one single map with the name "mountaininland" (so mountaininland01) in your Maps-folder, then you will always get your specific custom map, if you´re attacking Hungary from any province surrounding it.

But you must also change the castle definition to get the specific map also in rebellions when they are popping up:

like this:
    SetAttributes:: ID_HUNGARY "Hungary" 0 CATHOLIC_CULTURE LUSH AT_EASTERN_EUROPEAN -1 575 "Hungary Castle_xzy" INLAND FLAT NO_RIVER TRUE

Change it to:
    SetAttributes:: ID_HUNGARY "Hungary" 0 CATHOLIC_CULTURE LUSH AT_EASTERN_EUROPEAN -1 575 "Hungary Castle_xzy" INLAND MOUNTAIN NO_RIVER TRUE

You see the problem?

You can only have as many specific maps for specific provinces as you have working unic/single names for maps.

So I guess about 15-20 provinces will work in this way (maybe a bit more).

2. I fear no.
    You can, if your castle has no ubgrades but with more not really.
    You can name it like a landscape and define it (like above with the specific landscapes for a specific province like in answer 1).

But I never had tried to solve this problem:
    Norseman wrote:
    "number -1. This is the number that ties a battlemap to the region. -1 simply means random, that is; the game selects a random map among the castlemaps that have the correct landscape (Brittany:Hilly)."

So maybe its possible.

But it is possible for three maps with the single name: castlehilly01, castleflat01, castleplains01 and if they would be defined like that (hilly, flat, plains) in the castle-definitions (look the post above) and in the Maps folder would not be anozher castlemaps with higher numbers (so no castlehilly02, castleflat02, castleplains02....)

3. Yes, same problem like in point 1 and same method.
    But here you must define every province different, which is linked to prussia.
    But same problem with to less names also here.

»Erzähle, Wandrer, wenn du nach Sparta kommst, daß wir, seinen Gesetzen gehorsam, hier gefallen sind.«

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

Map making is also very linked to Historical Battle creating:

Someone who wants to make a historical battle will need also a new map for it.

So here is the best guide of Historical Battle making which I know:

Its The Modders guide from the Clan Doragon website, made by Barroca. Thank you for this masterpiece of a guide :

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Zitat[/b] ]
    The Modders Guide
    21 August 2002

This Document is a compilation of all the modders notes I have at hand, and the result of numerous trial and error experiments,
    written by (in no particular order) DrNo, TosaInu, the Count of Flanders, Choco, Tarrak/Kraxis, ShadesWolf, 96mgb, Swoosh So, Target, Siena72, Emp. Conralius, verysoon, Target, GilJay and all those others I have forgotten, or just as important those whose questions inspired us to try (oh yes, and me - barocca)

If anyone has anything to add please contact me at The Org's Modding Forum
    - where you will also find all of the wise men I have listed above.
    or contact me at Clan Doragon's forum - doragon.cjb.net,
    or email me at barocca_x@hotmail.com, and I will gladly include all new information

Advice before we start editing

Backup the Contents of the Backdrops Folder
    ..\Medieval - Total War (Demo Version)\Textures\
    and the ..\Medieval - Total War (Demo Version)\Battle\batinit folder

Backdrop Enhancement

..\Medieval - Total War (Demo Version)\Textures\Backdrops

To minimise Errors place the BackDrop batch file (download) in this folder
    ..\Medieval - Total War (Demo Version)\Textures\Backdrops\
    and then run it.
    All it does is copy backdrops from folders that have them to folders that do not. - to minimise the number of steps required some overwriting occurs, BUT the files are being overwritten by copies of themselves.

If it will not run in your system simply open the batch file in notepad and copy manually (use windows explorer to copy and rename the folders)
    the format for each line is
    (command "from directory" "to directory" /switches)
    So copy the needed "From" directories to the "To" directories
    Overwrite where requested

WARNING - Your backdrops folder is about to change - backup a copy first, and be aware it will go from 7.46MB to 64MB - allowing any combination of Demo map, terrain, season and weather - all explained in this document.

Introduction BDF ADF Unit Types and Other

Barocca

Battle Description/Definition File (the bdf)

Locations
    ../Medieval - Total War (Demo Version)\Battle\batinit\Historical Battles
    ../Medieval - Total War (Demo Version)\Battle\batinit\Tutorial

The Battle Definitions File (ie Jaffa.bdf) lists all the parameters for the battle.
    Here is a explanation of all the fields in the bdf that can be edited and what values(keys) work, and some that don't
    (Edit the bdf file using notepad)

The first section of the bdf file, descriptions and movies seem to be disabled for the demo, at least i can't find where to place appropriate files to force a change.

//Map - Terrain - Weather

(sample)
    MapName::"Jaffa"
    Architecture::AT_ISLAMIC
    Terrain::LUSH
    BattleType::BATTLE_TYPE_HISTORICAL
    Deployement::true
    Season::spring
    WeatherSequenceId::0

MapName::"Jaffa" - obvious - the map

Valid Demo Maps are :-
    FlatInland01
    Jaffa
    antioch_castle
    antioch_practice
    bulgaria
    bul1_practice
    bulgaria2
    hillyinland06
    sicily
    Agincourt

MTW Maps that work - some with minor glitches
    Ridges2

Architecture::AT_ISLAMIC
    //Architecture::AT_WESTERN_EUROPEAN
    //Architecture::AT_SOUTHERN_EUROPEAN
    These are building types. Choose the style that suits your Mod.

Terrain::LUSH
    //Terrain::ARID
    //Terrain::ROCK_DESERT
    Terrain Type - unsure of effect on weather

BattleType::BATTLE_TYPE_HISTORICAL - set this key to avoid tutorial messages
    //BattleType::BATTLE_TYPE_TUTORIAL - leaving this key in this field for a Mod on a Tutorial may have unforseen consequneces.
    These consequences include the tutorial instruction boxes appearing, and no battle results display at the conclusion of battle

Deployement::true
    not enabled?, could find no function for this field.

The Next 2 fields in combinataion are supposed to determine the weather,

Season::spring - valid choices spring, summer, winter, autumn
    //Season::summer
    //Season::autumn
    //Season::winter

WeatherSequenceId::0
    0 - very sunny
    1 - sunny
    2 - stormy - fog - rain
    3 - cloudy - fog - snow - even in Season::summer
    numbers above 3 work, but produce same weather as 3,
    also we don't have the correct tile sets or backdrops to give a realistic background/terrain portrayal, but at least we can fight in the rain and snow.
    Try different combinations of season and weather.
    REMEMBER, unless you have used the Backdrop batch file you may see various error messages when you try to run a game with altered weather.

//Player Descriptions

The 'player' description line, each army/faction (adf) in the battle will need it's own description line.
    (sample)
    Player::"Richard Coeur de Lion" 5 5 LOCAL "richard" 0 false 19588 28226 180 CHRISTIAN_CULTURE

Fields and values of the Player line

First number after player name is the faction. i.e. 5 Second number is the alliance it belongs to. again 5.

Faction Table
    Number, Name and Flag 1
    Almohad
    Byzantium
    Danish
    Egypt
    England

France
    HRE/Germany
    Italy
    Poland
    Russia

Castile
    Turkey
    Aragon
    Burgundy
    Golden Horde

Hungary
    Novgorod
    Papal states
    Sicily
    Switzerland

Six alternate faction sets with Flag and Shield Icons, the Lithuanian set also has Unit Commander names, Both Welsh sets (Updated) come with 2 flags, to replace Turkey or Italy
    For use in creating 'fresh' faction's for the Mod. For more information see the "Unit Types and Other" section of this guide. Siena's
    Lithuanian Faction Patrick's
    Scot's Faction Barocca's
    Welsh Faction 1 Barocca's
    Welsh Faction 2
    NEW
    Lithuania
    NEW
    Scotland
    NEW
    Welsh set 1
    NEW
    Welsh set 2

(Click any Image to Download all six in one pack)

LOCAL/ARTIFICIAL is Human or AI,
    (I set 2 armies to LOCAL and ended up with waiting for deployment to end. i.e. no other human connected to deploy the other army.)

"Richard" is the army definition file name.
    (the Demo will look for Richard.adf)
    You can change the names of ALL the adf files to suit yourselves, as long as the bdf has the correct names for them.

Not sure what the 0 is for. I have seen different numbers in different bdf's - best to leave alone,
    IFF, however, you do find out what this field does, please let us know.

true/false dictates if you are attacker/defender.

The coordinates (maybe) for initial camera postion (Will have to check that one) seems to be both for when you first enter the map, and camera returns here when you press "Continue"

Next is direction of facing. (in this case 180 degrees)
    It would be wise to have opposing armies facing each other

And then culture lastly. Possibly tells the demo which names to use for units without a defined InitialLeaderName(an adf parameter).
    CHRISTIAN_CULTURE or MUSLIM_CULTURE or CATHOLIC_CULTURE
    There could be many more of these, possibilities could be PAGAN, ORTHODOX, JEWISH, GERMAN, FRENCH etc. etc. - untested

//Triggers (Victory Conditions) (sample)
    Trigger::1, BT_GENERAL DIED, factions 5, LABEL "Keep King Richard alive.", INVERT_CHECKBOX

The Combination of Triggers results and groups determine the victory conditions, and to which faction/army they apply

//triggers
    Trigger::1 - 2 - etc.
    Simply Trigger number, needed for victory/defeat calculation
    there are 2 Triggers avaiable to us for Demo
    BT_GENERAL DIED - general died
    BT_INCAPACITATE - all army routs

factions - faction/s this trigger applies to

LABEL "Insert any appropraite text here"

INVERT_CHECKBOX
    This applies to Human Defeat Triggers,
    It Means - If this event has NOT occured then Mark the Checkbox as Sucessfully Completed

//Results

Result::1, - Result ids number - simply an index number
    alliances 5, - alliance this result applies to
    style DEFEAT/VICTORY, - Outcome
    battle "Jaffa" - Defeat Message to be displayed - cannot change this message - not required for VICTORY result.
    (sample)
    Result::2, alliances 5, style VICTORY
    self explanatory now

Additional Notes
    In a multi army battle to ensure ALL enemy factions(armies) MUST be defeated a trigger like this is required
    (sample)
    Trigger::2, BT_INCAPACITATE, factions 4,1,12 LABEL "Defeat the Enemy."

Factions 4, 1 and 12 must rout or be eliminated If all enemy factions are not listed simply routing or eliminating ONE faction completely will cause victory

//Groups

This is the list of events generated by triggers,
    and which results to display for each trigger,
    THE Group:: tag itself seems to have little actual meaning, other than a 'pointer' or marker,
    changing the order of the tags OR which Group contains which result seems to make no difference.

Group::1, - First Item in Battle Summary screen (? not always?)
    PRIMARY - Demo only allows PRIMARY triggers, meaning absolute conditions.
    triggers 1 - Trigger number
    result_ids 1 - Which result to use for this trigger

(sample)
    Group::1, PRIMARY triggers 1 result_ids 1
    Means if Primary Trigger 1 occurs display results 1

And thats all there is for the Battle Definition File.

Examples of Trigger sets

Kill The General

//triggers
    Trigger::1, BT_GENERAL DIED, factions 5, LABEL "Keep King Richard alive.", INVERT_CHECKBOX
    Trigger::4, BT_GENERAL DIED, factions 4, LABEL "Kill Saladin."

//results
    Result::1, alliances 5, style DEFEAT, battle "Jaffa"

//groups
    Group::4, PRIMARY triggers 4 result_ids 2

In this trigger set Defeat Occurs if the AI General Survives the battle, even though the AI was routed from the field
    (You will have to escape out if Your army routs and your general was not killed - automatic defeat,
    If you fail to kill enemy General, and his army routs you will also have to escape out - again automatic defeat, but then the goal was to Kill the general after all)

Kill the General combined with a standard trigger set
    //triggers
    Trigger::2, BT_INCAPACITATE, factions 5, LABEL "Don't Let Your Troops Rout.", INVERT_CHECKBOX
    Trigger::3, BT_INCAPACITATE, factions 4, LABEL "Rout or Kill Saladin's Army."
    Trigger::4, BT_GENERAL DIED, factions 4, LABEL "Kill Saladin."

//results
    Result::1, alliances 5, style DEFEAT, battle "Jaffa"

//groups
    Group::2, PRIMARY triggers 2 result_ids 1
    Group::3, PRIMARY triggers 3 result_ids 2
    Group::4, PRIMARY triggers 4 result_ids 2

In the example above
    Trigger 1 OR 2 will result in defeat,
    Trigger 3 OR 4 will result in victory,
    Triggers 1 and 4 will result in an Instant Result, if the general is killed the game ends

Army Description/Definition File (the adf)

Locations
    ../Medieval - Total War (Demo Version)\Battle\batinit\Historical Battles
    ../Medieval - Total War (Demo Version)\Battle\batinit\Tutorial

The adf contains a list of all the units in a faction/army, Each adf must have a line in the bdf player section in order for the units to be deployed.
    Each unit listed in the adf must have a seperate Unit Parameter Set.
    Each Unit Parameter Set defines all the information needed by the demo to deploy am individual unit. (unit parameters are located between UnitStart:: and UnitEnd:: )

You can place as many units as you wish in an adf file, the Demo will read and initially deploy only the first 16 units in the list at their specified locations, the remainder will arrive as reinforcements after units are withdrawn, destroyed or routed completely from the field. You will be given an option to select a rally point for reinforcements.

You can optionally specify units in the adf as reinforcements with a time delay option. See Reinforcements.

Sample adf file

UnitStart::"Unit"
    InitialLeaderName::"Richard"
    IsGeneral::true
    Position:: 19000 29500
    Direction::180
    GeneralRank::4
    LeaderHonour::4
    UnitMon::1
    TroopType::LateRoyalKnights
    TroopNum::20
    TroopHonour::4
    Columns::5
    CurveRadius::1
    FormationType::FORMATION_CLOSE
    MeleeMode::ENGAGE_AT_WILL
    FatigueLevel::FRESH
    HoldPosition::true
    GeneralIsDaimyo::true
    ArmourLevel::1
    WeaponLevel::2
    Reinforcements::180
    UnitEnd::

UnitStart::"" and UnitEnd:: are the begin and end of each unit description
    (Edit the adf file using notepad)

- Seriously, unsure of requirements for this field, Unit works for me, I also use this as a 'name' for the unit to help me create my mods, ie spearmen1, spearmen2 etc.

InitialLeaderName::"Richard Coeur de Lion" - optional parameter
    Does NOT have to match the name given in the bdf file
    I have seen identical Leader names work AND crash demo
    - recommend different names each unit

IsGeneral::true //IsGeneral::false - optional parameter
    Is the General of this army - the Demo will select the first unit found in the list with this parameter as the general, If no units with this parameter the first unit in list is the General
    - if he flees army morale suffers.
    However in order to get the Honour/Valour boost All units within an adf need this parameter I recommend setting your General to True and all subsequent units to false.
    Omitting this parameter from any unit in the adf will simply mean no units in his army, including his own unit, gain an honour boost from the Generals Rank.

Position:: 19668 29556
    Start location on map
    Selecting an area beyond the edge of the map will force that unit (or army) to march onto the field before they can be controlled. The further off the map the longer it will take them to march into play.
    You can only use positive numbers, meaning you can only place them beyond the edge of the map on two side of the field of the field. You can start an army at locations as low as 100 on the other two sides, but they will appear on the field almost immediately.
    Often when you place an AI controlled army on the map as soon as the battle starts they will move somewhere else. If they are supposed to be protecting your flank this can be a problem. You can place them a select distance off the map and force them to arrive a little late, and thus delay them moving to an undesireable location.

direction of facing on map

GeneralRank::6 - optional parameter
    Rank - Each 2 ranks generates an additional Honour point to all units IF this unit is the actual general of the army AND the IsGeneral parameter is included int the Unit parameters of all units in the adf.
    not sure of upper limit

LeaderHonour::10 - optional parameter
    The Generals personal Honour - applies to him only
    not sure of upper limit

UnitMon::1 - optional parameter
    may not be used by Demo - other numbers have no effect

TroopType::Archers
    unit type, do not use space's,
    upper or lower case work for most units,
    but the best bet is capitalise individual words
    for example : ItalianLightInfantry

TroopNum::180 - optional parameter
    - if omitted default is 9 men
    how many men in unit

TroopHonour::9 - optional parameter
    - if omitted default is 1
    with the addition of generals rank bonus some astronomical numbers can be reached
    upper effective limit is 16

Columns::60 - optional parameter
    - if omitted default is 3 coloumns
    how many columns from left to right,
    a unit of 60 men in 20 columns will be 3 ranks deep

CurveRadius::1 - optional parameter
    do not know - plain and simple.

FormationType::FORMATION_CLOSE - optional parameter
    - default is Close
    initial unit formation
    FORMATION_LOOSE also works
    FORMATION_WEDGE does not

MeleeMode::ENGAGE_AT_WILL - optional parameter
    - defaults to engage for foot and cavalry or skirmish for missile troops
    initial melee mode
    SKIRMISH works for missile units
    HOLD_FORMATION does not seem to work

FatigueLevel::FRESH - optional parameter
    - deafult is Fresh
    TIRED produces units who are Quite Tired, and will never recover to any state above that
    EXHAUSTED produces Exhausted unit, again no recovery,
    other fatigue levels crashed Demo.

HoldPosition::true - optional parameter
    do not know - plain and simple.
    changing value had no noticeable effect

GeneralIsDaimyo::true - optional parameter
    The General of this Unit is the King of this faction,
    again the Demo finds the First such List in the adf and ignores subsequent references

ArmourLevel::4 - optional parameter
    - default is none
    Additonal Armour Bonus (upper limit not known - possibly 4)
    (similar to Armouries from STW)

WeaponLevel::4 - optional parameter
    - default is none
    Additional Weapon Bonus (upper limit not known - possibly 4)
    (similar to SwordSmiths from STW)

Reinforcements:: (by Target) - optional parameter
    You can force units to act as a reinforcement and delay the time when they become avaiable.
    so, if you want a unit to wait 5 minutes before coming on as a reinforcement,
    set this parameter to Reinforcements::300
    This can be applied to any unit, so you can set up scenarios where you start the battle with only 4 units and then eventually another 12 turn up.
    Unfortunately, this also highlights a bug in the demo (which, under normal circumstances you'd never see, so I don't feel really guilty about it) that if your 4 units get crushed before the other 12 turn up, you'll have to twiddle your thumbs until the rest of your army turns up. (Target)

UnitEnd:: - end of this units parameters

The Absolute minimum required for an ADF is

//
    // Army description file
    //

Position:: 23000 44500
    TroopType::Housecarle
    UnitEnd::

This will give a unit of 9 Housecarle's of honour 1 in 3 columns,
    The unit is a General's unit, although the General has no rank and no honour (possibly his personal honour is One)

Barocca

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

Textures:

A few mistakes that were often been made:

There are not only one texture for a texture: Every texture has 1 main texture and 4 other textures, which make the main texture going smooth into an other main texture:

You have to rotate the texture so long till it fits.

The shadow of the road texture should fit to the other road texture: If they don´t fitting rotate the texture or use another one that fits to the texture.

Here two of the main mistakes, that can happen, when placing textures:

Try to avoid this mistakes: The map would look not very good, if you don´t do so.

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

Yup And by using the "flip-button" u can make textures fit together that otherwise don´t by just using "rotate".

Yeah and again if anyone else also wants to write about his expiriences with the map editor and wants to share his knowledge with us please do so.

btw: I will not tell how to make something asthetically: Everyone has another way to be creative: Someone needs a plan to make something, an other one has another method.

Some like mountains more, other plain-maps and so on.

This thread is only for technical questions and answers in mapediting.

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

Hello everyone,

We have also made some maps for the Lordz NTW mod, many of the tips we found have been mentioned already here so sorry if i repeat. Thanks to Antalis for that info about the startpos. - very useful....and historical battles - at last a guide

so, to make an 'unorthodox' castle - ie. no keep - different shaped walls - fortified city.

1.start with a working, 'normal' castlemap .....
    --------------------------------------------
    We found that a 'normal' castlemap must have the following...

Continuous walls with no gaps and gates for entrance and exits,

A keep inside the castle wall - although i think a keep tower will suffice...

The line 'CastleMap' entered in the .inf file of the map....(check out the original castlemap files you'll see what i mean...) you must do this after every time you have saved the file in the editor..

ie, so it looks like this....

Terrains:: LUSH ARID ROCK_DES TEMPERATE

Architecture:: LUSH W_EURO
    Architecture:: ARID S_EURO
    Architecture:: ROCK_DES ISLAMIC
    Architecture:: SAND_DES ISLAMIC
    Architecture:: TEMPERATE E_EURO

Game_Types:: SP_BATTLE CUSTOM MP_LAN MP_INET

MP_Styles:: LMS KOTH CTF

CastleMap

this should produce a working map for you with the men deploying inside the fort...
    --------------------------------------------

2. Once your castlemap is working you can then edit it again - removing the keep - making the walls into any shape you like...

be sure to add the 'CastleMap' line in the maps .inf file each time you edit your map.

3. This way ensures no chance of 'broken' castlemaps - by which I mean maps where units cannot pass through destroyed walls, missing 'damaged wall' graphics and broken deployment zones (units dont deploy inside the castle correctly)

hope this is of some help

regards

Lord Thindigital

Lordz Mapping Team

--------------

Yes very usefull informations: But one point is interresting:

You wrote that this is needed:

----

CastleMap
    ----

Yes, thats the way also in MTW castlemaps are defined, but in my maps is written:

Architecture:: TEMPERATE DA_EURO
    Architecture:: DARKAGE_LUSH DA_EURO

And they´re working perfect as castlemap without that castlemap is written.

So is it only an information that "castlemap" is written, or is it something essential, but I don´t believe so.
    That´s the question.

About needing a keep: I made a map without ever using a keep and its working, so I don´t believe its nessassary.
    Thats my expirience about one castle-series.

Antalis

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

A lot of good info here now, nice work Antalis

Just think I should clear up one thing though:

Quote[/b] ] Quote from PseRamesses:
    2. I can pre-determine a specific castle-map to a specific province, can´t I?
    Quote[/b] ] Quote from Antalis:
    You can, if your castle has no ubgrades but with more not really.
    You can pre determine a specific castlemap to a specific province. Not only that, you can pre determine a castle-mapgroup, that is; a castle with all upgrades and castle levels.

English is not my first language, and I'm afraid I can't explain it much better than I have already done in the thread mentioned(Link). Read it, and try to do as it says. If you can't make it work, please post a question here specifying what the problem is, and I'll do my best to guide you until you succeed.

Fury of the Northmen mod

Hey all,

Antalis - the above was a 'failsafe' method we developed, as we made our castleseries for NTW - - indeed some maps we made didnt seem to need the .inf edit - but sometimes we built a large castle only to discover that in testing, the castle was 'broken', sometimes the .inf edit fixed this,

regards

LTD

--hey, Moderators-- how come Antalis is still just a 'Member' here - I think he deserves more credit for his contributions ....

--------------

Quote[/b] ]--hey, Moderators-- how come Antalis is still just a 'Member' here - I think he deserves more credit for his contributions ....
    Justice please Gentleman.....

CZoF

I'm making a historical campaign and I need to know where to place my troops. This is done using the x and y axis. e.g.
    x:34645
    y:24587

Is there any way to find out what the numbers should be to have a unit on a certain place on the map? I thought it might be possible using the level editor so I posted here.
    May your first child be a masculine child.

It exists a grid, made by Doug Barnett, with coordinates on it: It was made for Shogun, which had smaller maps then MTW.
    But it gives you a rough overview.

You will learn, where to place something, with the time.

You can download it here:

NewMapGrid (Scenario Tool)

Or try this older version:
    mapgrid2

Antalis

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

Thank you, Antalis::. You da man.

36 minute wait for something that will take me roughly 4 seconds to download .... I just love 3ddownloads ...

Making starting coordinates for units in normal battlefieldmaps?

There is no way to set startingcoordinates on normal battlefieldmaps.

The only thing you can do is: Well, the attacker starts in the north and the defender in the south and you could design the map like this.

A rule is, that the units try to have a hill at the beginning and deploy there. But thats not always so.

But you can set starting coordinates for Historical battles.

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

How to create a HISTORICAL CAMPAIGN:

Ok what will you need:

1. A new folder for your Historical campaign.
    2. Historical battles and theire landscapes and mapimages.
    3. A HCF file.
    4. A changes file, where the descriptions of your used battles are.
    5. A HistCamapaign.txt-file
    6. A TGA with a portrait (or two).
    7. A BIF file.

First of all you need some Historical battle maps for it and theire landcape-maps and mapimages.
    The landscapes for the used historical battles should be in the: "Battle/Maps".
    The mapimages should be in the right "Battle/MapImage" folder (depends on the definitions of the for the hist campaign used historical battles in which terrain folder the mapimages are).

I will use the "Barbarossa" Historical campaign of MTW as an example here:

Ok, create a new folder in "Battle/batinit/Historical Campaigns" with the name of your new Historical campaign:

Put the used historical battles in it.
    Put also a HCF-file (the main file for Hitorical campaigns) in the new folder of your Historical campaign (open one of the already existing Historical campaigns of MTW and copy one of the "HCF"-files there into your new Historical campaign folder).

Open this HCF-file (as an example the Barbarossa HCF file with the Editor from Windows):

------------------
    //
    // Barbarossa
    //

CampaignStartpos::"early"

NumBattlesInCampaign::5

BattleName::"Siege of Milanese border fort"
    BattleName::"Carcano 1160"
    BattleName::"Campaign Milan 1161"
    BattleName::"San Romano 1161"
    BattleName::"Legnano"

Predefined::true
    CampaignName::"Barbarossa"
    Description::"Barbarossa_Description_Label"

SortOrder::3

----------------------

Ok, rename the HCF to the name of your new historical camapign.

Then set the correct used campaignmap-startpos for the historical battles (look into the hist. battles of your campaign which startpos.txt is used: In this example "early"):

In Barbarrossa "early" is used:

Then set the number of battles:

Barbarrosa has 5.

Then list the used battles in the order they be will listed in the hist. campaign:

BattleName::"Siege of Milanese border fort"
    BattleName::"Carcano 1160"
    BattleName::"Campaign Milan 1161"
    BattleName::"San Romano 1161"
    BattleName::"Legnano"

Then: Set the campaignname.

After that define where to find the description for the Historical campaign (not for the historical battles: You have to put them for the hist. battles in the "changes".txt in the LOC/Eng folder):

You have to copy your description into the "HistCampaigns".txt (LOC/Eng):

Create a new decription and define this in the HCF file:

Description::"yourHistCampaignName_Description_Label

--------------------------------------------------------
    //
    // This contains the translated campaign startpos text.
    //

//
    // Notes to translators.
    //
    // i) Only those things between
    // {""} need to be translated.
    // and the
    // {""} should be left in.
    // (Unless otherwise specified.)
    //
    //
    // ii) If an untranslated string will have
    // (ENG) (FRA) (DEU)
    // (ITA) (ESP) (JAP)
    // (SCH) (TCH) (KOR)
    // at the end of the string.
    // This is so we can detect untranslated stings
    // easily and can see that they have no been
    // translated when the program has been run.
    // Once the translation has been done acceptably
    // they should be removed.

// iii) The data is organised as follows
    //
    // ["this is a label"]
    // {"This is the translation"}
    //
    // ["This is another label"]
    // {"This is another translation"}
    // etc

SetShowTransOn // Do not translate.
    //???? Remove when localised.

["StartposData"] {"StartPos data."}

["Barbarossa_Description_Label"]
    {"Frederick Barbarossa was the King of Germany and Holy Roman Emperor for nearly 40 years. Like all Emperors, he dreamed of bringing the Empire back to its former greatness, which meant bringing Italy back into the Imperial fold and making sure that the Papacy was under Imperial control too. These two strategic aims were to take Barbarossa into Italy at the head of his armies, and lead to the his excommunication by Pope Alexander III in 1160. In return, Frederick simply chose to regard another churchman as the 'real' Pope and ignored Alexander Barbarossa also launched many attacks into Northern Italy but was eventually forced to realise that he couldn't retake the Italian parts of the Holy Roman Empire by force. It is some of these battles that make up the campaign here. In 1177 he and Pope Alexander came to an agreement and his excommunication was cancelled. Frederick Babarossa drowned while leading his crusading army across the River Saleph (in what is now Turkey), but during the later middle ages he was believed to be sleeping beneath the Imperial castle of Kyffhauser, waiting to rescue his people from dire peril"}

["England_100yrs_War_Description_Label"]
    {"The Hundred Years' War was fought by England and France from 1337 to 1457, although warfare was by no means continuous during this period. English kings felt that they had good claims to much of France and even to the French throne. Most of the fighting took place on French soil, but there were occasional attacks on English coastal towns by French raiders. When there was fighting, it was bloody and often merciless. The French nobility regarded war as their vocation, and were horrified to be confronted and beaten by lesser - but more professional - English soldiers. The three battles in this campaign show the differences in warmaking between the English and the French. By 1420 the English, under their finest warrior-king, Henry V, had very nearly achieved their goals. But even victories at Crécy, Poitiers and Agincourt would not be quite enough. As an historical aside, the English owe their traditional two-fingered gesture of contempt to the Hundred Years' War. The French threatened to cut off the first two fingers of any longbowman they captured, thus crippling the man as a warrior. Waving two fingers at the French thus became a way of defying them and daring them to come and make good their threats of mutilation"}

["France_100yrs_War_Description_Label"]
    {"With the death of Henry V of England in 1422, the French were spared the humiliation of an English King on their throne. King Charles of France, although irredeemably mad, did his country one last service by just outliving Henry, and the French crown never passed to an English monarch. The English, for their part, were too busy with political in-fighting for control of the child King Henry VI to wage another effective campaign. The tide of war was almost turning in favour of the English until, that is, the appearance of a charismatic young woman, Jeanne d'Arc, who was to lead French armies to new victories and drive out the hated English. This was to be the end game of the Hundred Years' War, and the time that defined France as a unified nation. The battles presented here reflect this period of French resurgence."}

["Richard_Description_Label"]
    {"Richard the Lion-hearted, or 'Coeur de Lion', is one of the great warrior kings of English history, although he spent only six months in England during his ten years on the throne - and even that was just to squeeze more money out of the country The rest of the time he was doing what he enjoyed and did best: soldiering. Richard's fame as a warrior was well earned, as he was personally brave, a formidable strategist, a master castle builder and seen as the embodiment of chivalry. His skills eventually gave him command of the Third Crusade, and while he failed to take Jerusalem, it was not for want of trying. His battles were conducted with a good deal of military skill and political 'savvy', as he alternated attacks on the Saracens and negotiations with Saladin. Richard came to an appropriate soldier's end after his crusading days. He died after being shot by a crossbowman while besieging a rebellious vassal in France. Despite his personal wish that the crossbowman should not be harmed for carrying out his duty, once Richard was safely dead his lieutenants captured and flayed Richard's killer in revenge."}

["Saladin_Description_Label"]
    {"Saladin, or Salah al-Din Yusuf ibn Ayyub, was the founder of the Ayyubid dynasty in Egypt and the eventual conqueror of the Crusader kingdom of Jerusalem. He brought the city back into Muslim control in 1187 and then defended it against the attacks of, among others, Richard the Lionheart during the Third Crusade. Before this, however, he fought many successful battles against the 'Frankish' Crusaders, always being sensible enough to let the Crusaders' own weaknesses work against them before he moved in for the kill..."}

["Golden_Horde_Description_Label"]
    {"'The horde of the Tartars is numberless. When one is killed, another ten spring from the hell whence he came. Each of them has the head of a dog, and carries with him sufficient weapons for three or four warriors.' So wrote Benedict the Pole, and he had every reason to be fearful, even if he had confused Tartars and Mongols. The Golden Horde were more terrible than anything he could have wished to see: cruel, uncompromising and the most efficient military force since the Caesars. They erased cities, slaughtered thousands, and enslaved any survivors. That they turned aside from reaching further into Europe is one of the quirks of history, and due to one death. Their Khan, Ogadai, drank himself to death and a replacement had to be selected from among the Golden Family by the Horde. If Ogadai had not died, who knows where the Horde would have stopped. They could easily have camped in the ruins of Paris, Rome or Cadiz. The battles in this campaign show how efficient their military machine could be with the right leadership."}

["yournameofthehistcampaign_Description_Label"]
    {"yourdescription"}

//******************************************************************************************

//******************************************************************************************

//
    // MEDIEVAL ADDON TEXT BEGINS HERE:
    //

SetShowTransOff // Do not translate.
    //???? Remove when localised.

----------------------------------------------------------

As you can see: MTW+VI has 6 Historical campaigns: Your campaign would be number "7": So define it like this:

"SortOrder::7"

Now, you can play your campaign, but you never would be able to play the next battles in it, only the first one:

To avoid this: Open the first historical battle of your campaign and define in the BDF file of it (as example from the Barbarossa Campaign):

//results
    Result::1, alliances 7, style DEFEAT
    Result::2, alliances 7, style VICTORY, battle "Carcano 1160"

This means: If faction 7 (the player: depends which faction the player plays in the battle) wins, then the battle: "Carcano 1160" will be next to play and is unlocked.

Make the same definitions for all following maps and define always the next map there of your campaign.

Ok, that you can win the whole Historical campaign you need to open the BDF-file of the last used battle for the Historical Campaign:

//results
    Result::1, alliances 7, style DEFEAT
    Result::2, alliances 7, style VICTORY, end COMPLETED_UNLOCKED

and define it like this (remember to set again the players faction right, like in every battle in the hist. campaign):
    "style VICTORY, end COMPLETED_UNLOCKED"

If you also want to change the portrait there: Change it with a graphic software and save it as tga format.
    Save it after that again also with (as I remember right) "IrfanView" as TGA-format with the Historical Campaigns name.

I´m not sure for what the BIF file there is: Its also a portrait:
    But copy one of this BIFs of a MTW campaign into your new folder and rename it to campaigns-name.

Antalis

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

The "setup informations" for custom battles:

Every map has two files: The JJM-file, with all the landscape settings, like which texture is used and so on.

And the "setup informations".txt file.

You can change this second file: So what terrain and architecture style can be choosen, if you want to start a custom battle:

As an example Agincourt:

--------------

--------------

You can change every defition of terrain and architecture there.
    Or you can delete some definitions.

If I want to have only arid with South european, then I change it like this:
    But I doupt that this will also work with lush.

----------
    Terrains:: ARID

-------------

But don´t be afraid, if your definitions will not working probably like this, if you have only "one" map (the one with the changed definitions) in the SaveMaps-folder or better put the changed map into yout Battle/Maps folder to test if only one terrain and architecture will be used.

Your map should be at least the second there to work, so that only arid south european can be choosen.

If you have another expieriences in this case, then please reply.

Antalis

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

The Lordz Modding Collective Senior Member Lord Of Storms's Avatar

Wow I am impressed on how this thread is developing, keep up the good work all, special thanks to Antalis for his many contributions cheers mate well done
    P.S. Antalis just to note the info gleaned from the Doragon site relates to the orignal demo for MTW , I think this may be relevant to point out. LOS
    Taking life one day at a time!

Yes, you´re right LoS: Thats true, that it was written, when the MTW demo was out, but its the best guide for creating Historical Battles also today that I know.

So I decided to quote it and don´t write another guide.

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

Holy crap, Antalis::. You really went all out. Thanks for the guide :)

Hallo to all,

Question to fellow mapmakers: Am busy at the moment to 'create' a map for the War of the Roses mod (battle of Barnet) and have run into a perculiarity.
    Playing a 'try out' custom battle I noticed that certain parts of my forests were cut off like with a knife (?)
    That looks quite odd (as odd as when all of a sudden a hole would appear in the air). My troops who walked into this area simply disappeared...only to emerge a little further on as if they materialized. Does this game offer the option of 'matter transmission' ?
    Anyone familiar with this ?

Another thing although this might not be the right forum for it: Reworking an old battlemap into a new set up I was busy removing walls and towers when all of a sudden my screen went black and I crashed back to the desktop. Trying the same thing again all went well. This has never happened before. Any Ideas ?

Well thats new to me.

I never had this disappeareing.

To the second problem: It can happen that the map crashes to desktop, if you press too often, in a too short time, the panels on the left side above (like trees-button, texture-button and so on there).
    So, if you press in the first second this and in the next second another thing, then again the first thing again there and so on, than it can ctd.

But your map isn´t damaged because of this.
    So save sometimes.

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

Antalis,

As to the second problem: You are right, that is exactly what I did....so it's not uncommon. Well that's solved. As to the first problem. I don't have a clue as to the cause. maybe someone else will respond with a 'I had that happening and found the cause'. We'll see.
    Thanks anyway for your reply

Cheers

Quote[/b] ]
    Question to fellow mapmakers: Am busy at the moment to 'create' a map for the War of the Roses mod (battle of Barnet) and have run into a perculiarity.
    Playing a 'try out' custom battle I noticed that certain parts of my forests were cut off like with a knife (?)
    That looks quite odd (as odd as when all of a sudden a hole would appear in the air). My troops who walked into this area simply disappeared...only to emerge a little further on as if they materialized. Does this game offer the option of 'matter transmission' ?
    Anyone familiar with this ?
    Dirk, you don't happen to still have the version of the map with this problem?

If so, could you maybe mail it to me so that I can have a look at it?

e-mail: hjar_randREMOVE@hotmail.com

Fury of the Northmen mod

Norseman,

Of course I can.
    Stupid question though: Looking at your e-mail adress I notice the REMOVE in it. Lately I sent someone else a message who had the same letter combination and I got my mail back as being undeliverable. I guess I need to use the adress without the REMOVE in order to get through...don't I ?

Quote[/b] ]
    Stupid question though: Looking at your e-mail adress I notice the REMOVE in it. Lately I sent someone else a message who had the same letter combination and I got my mail back as being undeliverable. I guess I need to use the adress without the REMOVE in order to get through...don't I ?
    Correct.

Fury of the Northmen mod

@Dirk:

I have seen this bug now the first time in one of my maps: Really strange.

Like an invisible wall that covers other units behind it.

Then I loaded MTW and the map again and it worked.
    Wiard.

I guess that it has something to do with graphiccarddriver: I have an ATI 9600XT and I don´t know if I have the latest driver, but a very new one.

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

Antalis,

Yes, although I suspect it's a driver issue, I also found that when answering the question about playing the same battle again with yes it's gone. However when you go back to the main menu and than start with the same map it happens again.

Same thing happened to me when I was fiddeling around with a heavily forrested battlemap. Reloaded the map and it was gone. Later when reloading it again the same thing happens to the same tiles as before.
    What I did, that seems to solve the prob in my case, was to delete all forrest around the problem area with a new type of terrain, saved, then re-pinted the forrest - prob gone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast