Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Egypt

Default Re: Egypt

I have just started my first Medieval campaign as Egypt seeing asthough it said they were easy to play :). early days yet, nothing has much has happened. I have secured an alliance with the turks, not sure how reliable that will be (I may be too used to Rome)

I have built ports, farming and keeps in as much provinces as I can And I am building up a military. Should my firt moves be to the Byzantines or across africa? Will the Turks help against the Byzantines?

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom0
    I have just started my first Medieval campaign as Egypt seeing asthough it said they were easy to play :). early days yet, nothing has much has happened. I have secured an alliance with the turks, not sure how reliable that will be (I may be too used to Rome)

I have built ports, farming and keeps in as much provinces as I can And I am building up a military. Should my firt moves be to the Byzantines or across africa? Will the Turks help against the Byzantines?
    The Turks will almost certainly turn on you sooner or later. I learned a long time ago to take them out before I go after anyone else. They might assist you against the Byz, but it's usually only a matter of time before they backstab you.

I would try to get out of the alliance if possible, which in the Eggies' case might mean you'll have to forge a (temporary) alliance with the Byzantines themselves -- they'll be at war with the Turks eventually, which means you can then drop the latter as your allies. It's maybe not a very "Muslim" thing to do, but you'll probably find it to be necessary.
    Last edited by Martok; 02-12-2008 at 18:53.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

As the Egyptians, you can "choose" your bacstabb:
    1/ Either you ally with the almohads which will probably get quickly stuck in a war agaisnt Spain, Aragon and various crusades... And you bacstabb your low province number Turkish neighbour who certainly has started a war agains the byz, and then secure all "Turkey" from Constantinople to Georgia.
    2/ Or you ally with the Turks and do a very quick west expansion up to Morocco against the almohads, for as Martok said, the turks wil get in a war with the byz but will not necessarily take long before attacking you as well.

Depending on the time period, ytou might have to first of all kick the frenc out of Antioche, Tripoli and sink their boats, to let them rot in cyprus.

The byzantine tend to be repelled to Rhodes in the middle period (high?) So they could be a good commercial and innofensive partenr for a while.

Early on: As the Egyptians I tend to to take Cyrenacia from the Almohads early and then move against the Turks. I take Cyrenacia as a buffer zone to protect Egypt. This way if I end up with Spanish, Sicilian or Italian neighbours, their first invasion by land will not be against Egypt itself and if Cyrenacia falls I can respond by sending in a relief force from Egypt or even Palestine by sea. The Turks are your easiest victims and it is wise to work on them next. Syria is the obvious first target and taking this strengthens your position by reducing your borders to two provinces to the north.

It is then wise to prepare an all out attack on Rum if you want to seriously cripple the Turks. The thing to remember is that this region is not easy to defend and that you will only be reasonably secure when you have conquered as far as Georgia, Trebizond and Anatolia. This will bring you into conflict with the Byzantine and it is best to avoid this for a while.

In terms of unit training, the Bedouin Camels are your best bet, backed up with some Arab Infantry and the all important backbone force of Nubian Spearmen and Desert Archers. Saharan cavalry are ok for mopping up routers but don't overspend on them. Once you take Rum you will be able to train the Armenian Heavy Cavalry which will fit the bill nicely.

The Egyptians are an extremely strong faction economically with some of the best trade in the region (in fact I think Antioch may be the highest income province on the map once it gets trading). This is their main advantage.
    Last edited by caravel; 03-03-2008 at 23:09.

Default Re: Great Gorgeous Gorges

Its not just the money they make though - they have a nice roster, if a bit lacking in terms of melee power, but without any overpowered units. They also have nice GA goals, particularly if one turtles with them, like the Jihad for Asia.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234