Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Comments and Suggestions

What did I do? Member Lonewarrior's Avatar

Default Re: Comments and Suggestions

Hello fellows well a question: Is there an economy guide anywere here?

edit: nevermind, found it, I was looking in the wrong place.
    Last edited by Lonewarrior; 12-08-2004 at 17:56.
    "Never rely on the glory of the morning nor the smiles of your mother-in-law."-Japanese Proverb

thanks

How do you disable the time limit in a battle in the campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by SPAZ31
    How do you disable the time limit in a battle in the campaign?
    Before you start your campaign (this is vital – it only works before you start a new game) go into ‘historical battles’ from the main singleplayer menu, then immediately exit without playing any battles. Now go and start your campaign without doing anything else; just go to the campaign screen, select your faction and options and go. Now all battles in this particular campaign will have unlimited time. It's a bug; we can only hope CA include some kind of option in the patch.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

how do you get first legions in campaign mode
    i saw the enemy with them
    but dont have them is it because i played easy or something

We do not sow.

Smile Re: Comments and Suggestions

It would be useful to have a guide on how your actions influence the Senate rankings for your faction. The Pleb ranking seems to be most influences by territorial expansion, but the Senate ranking is less clear. For example, even when fulfilling missions, the Senators' opinions of your faction can still drop. Why is this? Is it related to the faction power graphs in any way?
    Forums are good for sharing questions, wikis are good for sharing answers:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Check out the Online ETW Data in the Totalwar.org wiki.

Suggestion:

People really need to say what difficulty they're playing when they contribute to the guides.

Lots more strategies work on easier levels.

A while back someone on the forums posted links to two excellent unit guides, but I've spent the last couple hours looking for them (and cursing my failure to bookmark them). If anyone knows what they were I think they'd be a good addition to the Links thread.

Edit: Link has been gratefully supplied by therother and I've posted in the Links thread.
    Last edited by Epistolary Richard; 03-07-2005 at 16:15. Reason: update
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Matcham Valley,Central Coast,New South Wales,Australia. A semi Rural Community,with lots of Beaches,Waterways and Horse Trails.Only five minutes from major shopping,theatres and Services.

This may have already been mentioned in despatches. Before embarking on your first Civil war,be sure to save the game under a specific title,say civil war no 1. That way,when you make a complete mess up of it,you can go back to the start, and learn from your mistakes.

A sticky with how to manually unlock factions would be good in this forum section.

Death to all the overnice greeks and romani!!! Death to the so called "civilized"!
    Stinking Rrrratttsss!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alien of Germania
    A sticky with how to manually unlock factions would be good in this forum section.
    My guide section on how to unlock manually was blank because I couldn't find the text to edit, but I'll be updating it soon with credit to LittleCheese07 of TWC.

edit: Done. I just need to format it to make it look like the files in the desc_strat.txt (which is indented)
    Last edited by Quietus; 04-02-2005 at 03:11.

It's also in my guide. One day, if I remember once I have a bit more time, I'll edit the first post in each faction thread with details of what must be done to play as that faction, be it modding or simply finishing a Roman campaign. That's probably not going to happen for a long time, not until I finish the final update of my guide, but I will try and remember.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

US of E!(united states of europe, Scotland to be precise)

How about a thread(possible sticky) on replays(posted by members) of how battles should be fought. members could discuss setup, moving and on how best to use troops in battle. It might also be good idea to analyze how the computer reacts to certain situations. Those who have difficulty commanding troops effectivley in battle could post their replays. Other Members can then discuss what went wrong. A bit like those move lists in chess. EG 1)white d2-d4 1)black e7-e5 2)white d4-e5

Of course you might want to put a disclaimer int he first post that .org hold no responsablity for any malicous porgrams download from the thread, but i'm sure thats covered in the "terms of use" anyway
    There's no such thing as a lootenant.

First and foremost, I'd like to thank Frog, Quietus, and all the others who have taken the time and effort to provide these in-depth guides. Speaking as someone utterly green and inexperienced at this game, I've found them invaluable. I bow deeply in gratitude.

On topic: I would very much like to see something similar to the strategy guides on how to win for each faction, however, with the emphasis placed on how to DEFEAT the faction, i.e. specific strategies to use against specific factions. For example, what are the general strategies I should keep in mind when facing the Macadonians? What type of units should I be building to best take advantage of their particular method of waging war?

[Insertwittytitlehere] Member Copperhaired Berserker!'s Avatar

Froogy, will you make a thread for each "new" mod like SPQR V.30?

If I was smart, I would have a witty punchline in this sig that would make everyone ROTFL.

I'm not smart.

sunsmountain had an idea about making short "rules of thumb" to help players make use of detailed research work down in the Ludus Manga forum. Perhaps we could have a thread in this forum to contain these rules? More details here https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=40037

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

To all: thanks greatly for all the recent suggestions. Near as we can figure, there are 4 major ones:

1. 'Rules of Thumb' topic
    2. Separate thread for each mod produced
    3. A "How to Defeat' each faction thread, and
    4. A 'Replay Analysis' thread

All those ideas have merit in their own right. We're in the process of weighing the pro's and con's of each (feel free to contribute your further ideas on that here). We have to look at resources, staffing, and compatibility issues; remember that the goal is to provide the most informative, accessable, and up-to-date data on the game as possible.

Doing that also means being careful to think about how the reader will/can digest that information. Give him too much to see, his eyes will glaze over, and he'll miss some important info. Give her too little to read, and she'll jump to an incorrect conclusion.

In summary: Thanks for your input. I beg your indulgence, and ask for a few more days to consider what to do, and how to do it.

p.s. our esteemed writer/moderator frogbeastegg is trying to pull out all stops in completing the v1.2 update, and has several other time-consuming irons in the fire at the same time. For the next week or so, please send any PM traffic about the Guides forum to me. Alternately, you can email me jim@jimcee.com . Thanks.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

Froggy,
    Since the faction-guide-section originally was my idea back with MTW I suggested that we should have guides-sections of each hosted mod. I´m currently playing RTR like hell and found significant changes in each factions strategy with this mod. I do belive the EB will change the game even more and other mods like SPQR might also. Therefore I suggest that you discuss this request with your fellow mods since I belive that it will be a great addition to this forum. Thanks!

Now know that......(1+post! )

If I was smart, I would have a witty punchline in this sig that would make everyone ROTFL.

I'm not smart.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PseRamesses
    Froggy,
    Since the faction-guide-section originally was my idea back with MTW I suggested that we should have guides-sections of each hosted mod. I´m currently playing RTR like hell and found significant changes in each factions strategy with this mod. I do belive the EB will change the game even more and other mods like SPQR might also. Therefore I suggest that you discuss this request with your fellow mods since I belive that it will be a great addition to this forum. Thanks!
    OK, let's take this suggestion first: guides for hosted mods.

Questions:
    -Who would write those Guides?
    -One for each of the 8 current Org-hosted mods?
    -What about other non-Org-hosted mods?
    -Many of the mods are still under development, write a Guide for the proposed mod anyway?
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Well,Krukikhan, for your first question I would say that people who have played it would contribute to these pages. Question number 2.: well you could put up a new forum about every single Org-hosted Mod so let's say that a newbie needed help for a mod e.g SPQR (Don't know if it is a Org hosted mod) and he was playing Parthia well you would have like a sub forum for each hosted mod so like the noob would go into that sub forum and choose the parthia sub forum(put up by frogbeastegg or some other moderater) and hey presto, he get's his guide. question 3.: well ask to host the mod or do another method. Question 4.: put up the sub fourm any way and tell the people waiting for the mod and give them a bit of news and tell them when the mod is out or the beta if it isworth trying it. Hope it answers your questions

I'm not smart.

Well anyone going to my reply, espeacially Kruki

I'm not smart.

and another thing, why don't we have a modding guide F.A.Q and people can ask moding questions?

I'm not smart.

Discussion across two very different timezones takes time

There is already a dedicated forum for modding guides.

The main problem with any attempt at a guide thread/forum/whatever for any mod at the moment is that the mods are not yet finished. They change regularly, and each update normally changes the game quite significantly. That means very often advice, tips, tactics etc become redundant. That's not at all a good situation for a guide, as I'm sure you can understand.

We have considered several possible ways around this, but so far none are satisfactory. A subforum or five is not an option currently; we do not think it would receive enough traffic, and in any case TosaInu is away and he's the one who gives the final yea and does the dirty work of actually creating the forum.

Having a topic for each mod is perhaps a little better, but it will be confusing for readers, frustrating too, because many of the posts will give tips that don't work when the mod updates. Alright, the obvious answer is to request people put in the version of the mod they are using at the start of each post. In theory that solves everything. In practise at least some people won't remember, or won't bother.

We could scrap each thread whenever a new version of the mod comes out and start over fresh with the mod's version included in the title, but that is so wasteful, and quite labour intensive. Binning advice might reduce confusion, but it really goes against the whole point of this forum.

There are also layout issues unique to this forum we have to keep in mind. The idea is to keep all topics on page 1, and not to have a page 2. This keeps the information easy for everyone to find, and removes the problem of people requesting threads which are already there, just on another page. So we have a limited number of slots to play with. We've got (my estimation) 4 slots left. I've no idea how on earth we're going to handle the add-on pack; for now I'll just be glad we've got a good long while before we really need to worry about that.

Finally, modding is perhaps not in this forum's mandate. It might be preferred that all mod related threads go to the modding forums. That's a question for TosaInu.

The confusion/redunacy is the main issue here. If the mods were completed, or if someone wrote a guide proper (e.g. mine, Quietus') then that issue becomes greatly reduced.

well for the mods being changed why don't we do a thread about each faction and after that put like the version number after it? e.g. Parthia v2.0, Brutii v3.0 for spqr

I'm not smart.

Let's assume that there are exactly 12 playable factions in mod X. 12 * 3 versions (a conservative estimate) = 36 topics, most of which will never receive more than a handful of posts. That's a lot of bulk for people to wade through in search of what they require. It's also a lot of work to set up, and would absolutely require the creation of a subforum for mod X.

And that's just for one mod. I can think of ... at least 6 other large scale mods either available now or in the nearish future.

Okay make it that say a persion was doing guide for brutii,v3.0 he would say in his post.simple as that. that cutting down threads etc.

Man I do a lot of explaining

I'm not smart.

If you were really stuck, when playing a certain faction on a certain mod, you could PM a friendly RTW guides regular and see if they play with the same mod as you. Even if they don't play with the same mod, they might be able to help. After all, a strategy game will always have strategy, even if not much in RTW.

I don't know about you guys, but I think a rebel guide would be nice. Sure, it's entirely different from the true campaign, but it's a great challenge. I've got some tips already.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast