Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Parthia

Default Re: Parthia

don't you enjoy watching eastern infantry rout? lol they have terrible infantry so i don't think even I would enjoy playing as the PArthians..

Post Re: Parthia

hillmen are as bad they are really poor but eatern infrantry are the worst infrantry other than peasants .do people agree with me?!?
    "Do you have blacks, too?" —to Brazilian President Fernando Cardoso, Washington, D.C., Nov. 8, 2001
    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004
    "I want you to know. Karyn is with us. A West Texas girl, just like me."
    —Nashville, Tenn., May 27, 2004

how stupid george bush is !

I don't know, but I think Eastern Infantry are pretty bad.. I don't know how the Parthians survive, you have to have some sort of decent infantry to accompany any army.. and Eastern INfantry, Hillmen and Peasants don't come into the group of DECENT INFANTRY..

hillmen are poor but can fight alrite if u get them to hold hte fight u can round them up with catphracts
    "Do you have blacks, too?" —to Brazilian President Fernando Cardoso, Washington, D.C., Nov. 8, 2001
    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

It depends what you ask the Hillmen to hold against, they won't hold a cavalry charge.. but they could hold a light infantry.. maybe for 10 seconds..

I've decided Parthia are one of the harder factions to advance with but maybe using some of these guides, I could get a successful campaign out of them?

its pointless goin to attack anyone on foot with them though they are one of the worst infrantry teams but with catphracts and persian cavalry they are pretty good

Cataphracts and Horse Archers are the elite units for Parthia.. and Persian cavalry are ok

Scythia don't have a lot of infantry options also, but Axemen are better than Eastern Infantry.

i think scythia are pretty good good noble calvary and good axmen and archer warband are ok and choosen archer warband are good!parthia are hard campaign to do i think it would be a challange

Maybe a challenge for us?

Default Eastern infantry, slingers & hillmen

Pontus, Armenia and Parthia start with lousy infantry units. Armenia can eventualy get somewhat better troops and so does Pontus too, with its decent phalanxes (pikemen and bronze-shields). But Parthia is stuck forever with hillmen, eastern infantry and slingers.

Good news is that those troops are not that crappy anymore if we train them in towns with weapons & armour-enhancer buildings (blacksmith and above). Not to mention that some Seleucid cities we capture might have temples of Vulcan. Since we need to build blacksmiths & such for our cavalry, we can also use them to increase the stats of those infantry units needed for sieges. Also keep in mind that upgraded slingers have better stats than normal balearics, the best slingers in the game (except for charge, but charging with slingers or archers is reserved only for really desperate situations - see my post on "Numidia" on this subject).

Default Re: Eastern infantry, slingers & hillmen

Some 1 help me plz. i luv parthia to bits. ther probably the funest faction out there ! but when ever i play a campaigh as them it just gets so boring takin on stack after stack after stack of egyptian armies. they just keep on coming draning away ure income and ure units. also parthias provinces being so far apart its also a task trying to get any suport to ure troops on the frontline fighting the egyptians. Has any 1 got any solushians if so i would plz love to hear them. Oh ye ive been playing on medium/medium.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Tibilicus,

I never played this faction. But in gerneral I guess there are three possible solutions for your problem.

1. Defensive: Built a ring of forts along the border (LIMES). Try first to find a defendable frontline. Then let them attack you as long as they like to. You can be offensive in an other area.

2. Offensive: Try the katank strategy. Attack the enemy at once and go straight to his production centre. Don't hestate, don't wait for reenforcements. Speed is all that matters.

3. Flexible response: That's the Mao Tse-Tung strategy - When the enemy advances, withdraw; when he stops, harass; when he tires, strike; when he retreats, pursue. keep some good mobile armies outside the towns. When the enemy comes attack him only when you have the advantage. Try to cut his supply. Attack him when he is besieging. This strategy takes time and is a bit risky - but it shure is fun!!

So good luck

thanks for that Franconicus. i tried the tatic of just rushing every thing into the egyptian provinces and so far it seems to be working even though im only 7 years in this campaign ive managed to get 1 egypt province and ime not in dept even better suprisingly the selucids and egyptians have turned on each other erly so fingers crossed egypt should fall. But im still woried about armenia seming my garisons are almost non exsistant...........................

You should try to sign an alliance with the armenians and the seleucids. Then team up on the Egyptians.. They are more likely to fall that way. Usually the Seleucids cannot deal with their wealth and almost always fall..

with parthia there is no point attacking egypt but wen egypt take secluid empire like they always do try and scrap as much land as u can without attacking egypt then hit armenians as hard as u can but dont hold back egypt unless u need to because it is very hard to beat them with as week infrantry but u can beat them sometimes with hit and run but if u are ganna attack them hit them early and get alliance with secluid and milatry acces if u can

Egypt cause real problems as parthia. try and help the Selucids with them early. Thats always worked for me.

No need for military access, take Dumatha and build it up to take troops out of there. If you can sweep through the desert and sneak round the back and hit them at the undefended delta, Thebes is left very unprotected, then go up and get Memphis and Alexandria (2 WONDERS) this will cripple them and give the Seleucids the opportunity to hit hard and finsh them off at the other end.

I would do my Germanic strategy, and empty my towns of everything, surrendering my home provinces, to sweep into Asia Minor and setting up shop there. The cities are much closer to one another (and they're more numerous for the same land area), and besides, they're way richer, and their approach choices are far more limited. You have passes you can easily watch, you have Tarsus, which WILL be a battleground but which focuses so much Egyptian attention there you really just have to keep bribing them cos they usually only send captains to lead their army. And with Asia Minor, easy access to the Levant and MORE rich cities! (coincidentally Egyptian.) And forget the Seleucids, they can't do anything about you because you're a HA race and they're a hoplite empire. I think it's the most daring thing any starter faction can do--but the results are awesome, like when Italia became Germania Nova.

Meanwhile, in the north your Sakae army can trash the Scythians and do a modified Scythian campaign with conquest of the steppes and a charge into Thrace and Greece (also abandoning the steppe provinces as you go along should Germania attack).

After all, the two richest areas on the map are Italia, Egypt, and the Aegean. So it stands to reason possession of those areas is essential. Why not get it right at the start? You can carry out the Reconquista of your ancestral lands if you want, after you're secure in a new (and far more valuable) power base.

I can't believe the cheek of the Parthian starter movie in claiming access to the Silk Road, and still remaining one of the poorest factions. >.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

german ok general Member orcorama's Avatar

i have taken the dumatha, seleucia, hatra im sieging antioch which will fall next turn.
    i beat some of armenias family members and now with my HA army im sitting next to armenia's capitol demanding tribute
    im pulling my HA out of the north province to hit the armenians from the north
    I could conquer scythia but i have an allience and traderights so ill just leave them alone.
    I havent gone to war with anyone other than seleucia and armenia but i can conquer armenia anytime.
    seleucia is about to crumple and theres Egypt
    im planing on sneaking an army in behind them and trashing their home provinces
    then Ill take on pontus and finish off the seleucids
    by that time ill be rich so i can attack greece and Rome
    then ill basically win

Yep, it's plain sailing once you have Egypt and Seleucid out of the picture.

If you conquer Africa, you can hit Italy through Sicily and also through the Aegean, that was my Egyptian plan.

Member Member Dead Knight of the Living's Avatar

OK, I'm good to go with playing as the Romans, Macedonians and Greeks. Parthia is my first Eastern faction. I've just finished conquering Armenia. Now, I'm at war with Pontus. I'm mad because I wanted to go after Seleucia. I really only have one full stack army and a half stack army. I'm playing RTR 5.4 on VH/VH. I'm doing well so far I think. Just some opinions is what I'm after. Would you all try to make peace with Pontus and then go after Seleucia or just take out Pontus first. My concerns are the Egyptians are in southern Asia Minor. When I played as Macedonia and invaded Pontus, the Egypptians attacked me. So, I'm thinking if I go at it with Pontus I'll have to deal with Egypt now. While I'm certain I could handle a one on one with Seleucids, I don't think I'm ready for a fight with both Pontus and Egypt. I think peace with Pontus would be better. That way I can take out the Seleucids who are also at war with Egypt. By the time I complete my land grab with Seleucia I'll be able to take on Egypt. Hopefully.

Combat with Parthia is much more fun than with the Romans and Macedonians. I used a very dispersed formation. I have no line at all. I divide my units into four groups. 3 groups of HA and Cats and 1 group of like two Sparabara which I leave in ambush somewhere. I attack the enemy from every which way. I've made units rout before they even get hit with one arrow. If I get a Horse archer to be chased by some ground units I lead them to my infantry in ambush and spring it on them. Best part is after I spring the ambush, I put those units back in the woods and do it again later.
    "Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake."
    -Napolean Bonaparte-

Passionate MTW peasant Member Deus ret.'s Avatar

Crush the Egyptian threat as soon as you are able to because it will grow worse every turn if you leave them alone (i.e. with the Seleucids as their victims). Your goal is to conquer Antioch before they can; if you succeed, you have a good foothold to take on the stacks after stacks that the Egyptians will send for you.
    Maybe it's not as bad in RTR but prepare for some hell in the shape of those Eggy chariots....particularly if you let them reach your cav. If you manage to vanquish both the Eggies and the Seleucids (except for Sardis, it's not as urgent) you have basically won because one of the richest areas on the map is now yours.
    Pontus should be a cakewalk now, even if they have taken one or two cities from you. Usually they just use masses of crap EI.
    Vexilla Regis prodeunt Inferni.

Yeah, it's that bad in RTR. The only difference from RTR and 1.2 that I can see is there are some extra cities and the map extends almost out to India. The whole central Asia area is still poor. All the cities on the east side of the Med are rich as crap. I think I'm already headed for disaster. I've lost quite a few of my cataphracts so far. I've fought a lot of battles that really gained me nothing. Pontus wouldn't accept peace and now the Seleucids are marching armies on my territory. It's weird. They haven't attacked me. They're just marching around in my territory. I checked to make sure I didn't inadvertently give them military access. I didn't. I think it's just a matter of time before they attack. They could just be marching across my land to reinforce their armies fighting the Egyptians. But right now, as it is so far, there's no way I can fight the Seleucids or Egyptians. I would start over, but I'm going to roll with it and see what happens. I have two good armies so at the very least I can go on the defensive and build some more infrastructure. That will probably just delay the inevitable. And another problem I'm experiencing is rebels. Every turn a rebel army with 6-8 units pops up. They always have archers. While I"m beating them they are taking their tool on my HA's. I don't have cataphracts with my anti-rebel army because I don't want to wast them on rebels. The HA's trash these rebels every battle, but even with just a few casualties it mounts up after many turns. And I can't retrain because I can't build Parthian Aux HA's yet.

The going is tough, but I think it's going to make for a good storyline when it's done.
    -Napolean Bonaparte-

And now I'm forked. The Egyptians have attacked. THis is going to suck. If I had onagers right now, I'd be set. I could rampage through Asia minor with my one unstoppable army that is fighting Pontus. Meanwhile, I'd use Fabian tactics against the Egyptians in the south. Right now looks like I'm going to have to take some troops from Pontus and reinforce against Egypt. I think I can hold Pontus with a few less troops over there.

Deus Ret. Your advice came a bit too late for me. But I'll definitely take it the next time I play this campaign.
    -Napolean Bonaparte-

german ok general Member orcorama's Avatar

pull out of pontus with all your men adn attack antioch then fight egypt up and down the coast til you can take sidon meanwhile bring in whatever men you can from your home lands to hit the nile delta kinda like taking the back door if you manage that you have beaten them mop up the egyptians and then the SE if they exist
    now you can take on pontus and whoever else you want

edit: remember to use spys to take the nile cities they move faster than artillery and you need to be quick to get in behind the main eggy forces fighting you in jerusalem, antioch, sidon, damascus area
    Last edited by orcorama; 06-22-2005 at 16:23.

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

Consider Dumanthra and then Petra and Bostra, kinda like backdoors into the Nile.

A single boat on the Red Sea can be a nice ferry operation.

Passionate MTW peasant Member Deus ret.'s Avatar

Dead Knight of the Living, thanks for the honor.
    I hope you still enjoy your campaign although it seems to become desperate now.....try to carry on; if you win through, you will gladfully remember those early, hardish days....

As orcorama stated, leave Pontus alone for the moment. They can do little harm to you because you will be more than compensated for whatever they may be able to take from you. So, the back door route is a very elegant way to cripple the Eggies. Which you should do even faster as Parthia than as anyone else because, as you may have noticed, your infantry is too limited (or downright crappy in vanilla RTW) to take on the chariots effectively. Additionally, they succumb to the bowmen far too quickly. In a siege chariots are next to useless, though, so go for the populated Nile valley, especially Memphis because of the Pyramids; this will break their back. Now you can watch the Eggies running headlessly from city to city, wasting their time and precious armies in hapless efforts to stop you while (with a little maneuvering) you can close your iron circle around their remaining domain and, in due time, outproduce them.

Always keep in mind that once you conquer them, not only the hardest battle will be won, but you will also be in possession of seemingly infinite resources, both money- and populationwise.
    Last edited by Deus ret.; 06-23-2005 at 19:47.
    Vexilla Regis prodeunt Inferni.

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

Note that eastern inf are only good for pushing rams etc.

Even when the gate is broken, go hammer down walls before going in.

Letting your cav pour through multiple openings is good and also gives you more time to soften up the confused whirling chariots and the slow phalanxes before you go inside.

Despite the bowmen, you should still be able to outshoot them. Nearly every unit in your army should be missile capable.

All this is great advice. And believe me I'm making little notes for the next campaign. But right now I just lost a town to a rebel army. It's the first time I've ever seen a rebel army actually besiege a town and take it. I had 4 peasant units vs 2 sparabara, 1 horse archer and 1 bowman. THe peasants obviously folded. I sent three units out to destroy the ram. It didn't work. they got routed quickly. Regrouped inside the gates. Then routed again when the rebels got inside. I just took that town back this last turn.

I'm ravaging Pontus with my one army. I have a 6 stack army of HA's fighting another 800 man Pontic army. I attack and expend all my arrows, then they attack me and I expend all my arrows again. I dwindle them down little by little. I'll have to beat them on the next battle or they'll besiege the town I'm using to retrain my HA's and I'll be SOL. I think I will beat them next time. Though they have 800 men, all their units are understength. And they have no missile troops remaining.

I have a strong army with cataphracts vicinity of Seleukia. I just obliterated an Egyptian army full of Macedonian Mercenaries. This is RTR 5.4 keep in mind. I don't remember seeing these units in 1.2. They're phalanx troops. I hardly lost a man. They had a unit of archers only 16 men strong so that was no problem. And they had about 4 units of peasants. It was fun standing back with the HA's making them chase me all over the place and die. Basically, they were about to take the Seleucid city east of Seleukia. I stopped them because I didn't want them to have it. I can't siege it because it'll leave Seleukia open to attack. I know Egypt has a couple of armies inbound too. I don't want Seleucids to declare war on me. But again, I think it is inevitable because their armies keep marching in my boundaries around my cities. I don't know what they're waiting for? But I'm not going to provoke them. My northern and eastern boundaries are completely undefended. And the Seleucids could swarm me in these areas.

Pulling out of Pontus is so hard for me to do right now. I'm whipping their anuses. I can't believe they still have an army in my territory and are not returning to defend their homeland. The reason I am considering withdrawing from there is because I have no onagers to take their stonewalled cities. If only they were all wooden walls. But I"m having a blast prancing in their country side. My cataphracts have been phenomenal. But if I pull out of Pontus I see two things happening. They continue to harass my western border and i end up having to fight them anyway. Because they did invade me first. Or, the Egyptians conquer them and get more money from their cities. I just can't see a benefit to staying there or leaving really.

If I had one more decently sized army to hold the border I'd pull my main army out, but I don't have that necessary border guarding army right now. Perhaps after Exterminating a couple more towns I will. BUt then I'll find it hard to maintain them if I let those cities go.

And as for the Army in Seleukia. I'm slowly getting more units there and hope to go on the offensive somewhere. But I'd be left wide open if I did it now.

And the infantry. Why do I even bother with them. I have four infantry units in my Army of Seleukia. They hang back by the red line ready to withdraw if attacked. That's all I do with them. I leave them on the board so the enemy still has to be concerned with them, but they are nothing more than a distractor.
    Last edited by Kekvit Irae; 08-25-2006 at 02:10.
    -Napolean Bonaparte-

It's hard to pull out of a campaign you're winning, but if you don't defend your frontier against Egypt there won't be any point in gaining Pontus anymore. You only have to hold out against the stacks; you're Parthian, so you can just field armies of horse archers and try to divide them. Divide your armies and sweep into Egypt's territory, refuse battle with all enemy armies except all-infantry armies, make peace with Pontus and demand heap big heap tribute from them, using the tribute to bribe what Egyptian armies you can. With Egypt, you must bribe, or you will go under, because their chariots are the one nemesis that your HA have no answer to. Instead of going for the huge battle of annihilation, the Cannae, go for small-unit tactics if you can.

Fleet tactics are also an advantage. If you happen to have control of any Mediterranean port, start churning out ships and use them to gain naval superiority. With that you can start landing piecemeal armies all over the place in Egypt, forcing them to divide their forces to deal with your multiple threats. Once they have armies lured away from one place, siege the other and assault it. If they counterattack, raise the siege and siege another city. The trick is to keep -some- cities besieged so they cannot produce any units from that settlement.

Now, some strategic observations about Egyptian weaknesses based on my experience in the Egyptian campaign: They are weak at Jerusalem. Take that down, and Sidon is yours for the taking. Two armies can pull this off, one striking from Bostra for Jerusalem, and the other advancing down from Antioch, assuming, of course, that Antioch is still there. Following that they will be pretty much reduced to the three Nile cities, which can be quickly taken simply by sending your main army at Alexandria while you use one unit to besiege Memphis and Thebes each so they cannot produce any units to relieve Alexandria while they use up their turn's move in sallying. (AI armies never make more than one move a turn, so if they sally, you withdraw and simply renew the siege next turn, until Alexandria is taken)

A thought just occurred to me; if you can make peace with the Seleucids, do so. Your HA can crush their troops -easily-, so it's no harm to leave them for now. Ally with them if you can, pay them if you must to get this. Concentrate on Egypt with whatever you have left, and you will be assured of the might of Seleucia (or what's left of it) behind you. If you cannot, then simple peace will do. The Seleucid navy is useful against the Egyptians.

Okay, that's disembodied but will work on purely theoretical basis. I haven't tried Parthia yet, but I've tried that with Scythia against the Romans, so by extension it should be about the same, just a little harder.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast