Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Germania

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

Default Re: Germania

If you wanna talk cheesy, then 25% extra than normal warhound units are surely your ticket.

I built them out of a +3xp temple and a single unit can hold 4 warbands on their own.

Germania has one of the sweetest setups. Their town level combo is already very nice. A solid wall of giant phalanx units with screechers to demoralize and flank.

Later, throw in puppies for disruption, axemen to guard flanks and barb cav to provide shock.

Even later, you get night raiders to add to the fear element and just are all round nice melee troops, also fast for flanking. Chosen axesmen are armor piercing and good flankers. Berserks are again good flankers. Gothic cav are simply line crashers.

Quote Originally Posted by IliaDN
    So, I have decided to take Germans for this time.
    Hahaha, I was just posting on another thread about deciding to play Germans as well. Guess we'll be seeing each other again, no? I'm only 5 provinces away from the end of my Greek campaign...

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

So I started campaign with sending troops to Alesia , Samarobriva , rebel town near the capital , Campus Gothi.
    So there are 4 main streams in my campaign.
    1. After Alesia was mine I began slow expansion on Gaul's lands;
    2. After conquering brit coastal town I took defensive position there eridicating all brit troops that came there;
    3. After capturing rebel town near capital I sent troops on my western front;
    4. After capturing Campus Gothi I moved to " Home , sweet home " and acquired it as well.
    Then I moved one of my armies to gaulish towns near Italy and was attacked by Julii , so I captured those two towns and moved to Julii capital there I had grand battle with the Senate and Julii and was victorious.

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

You are really fast. How hard do you play?

VH/M , huge.
    Now it is about 258 B.C.

Nice... I went into debt almost instantly, I abandoned all my home provinces. My starter units are now concentrated into two armies moving south into Italy. One will go conquer northern Italy, the other will take Iuvavum, Patavium and the south before moving into Sicily. I'm slower than Ilia, but things are about to get a lot faster (and a lot more profitable). It is now 267 BC and I have my starter provinces in addition to Mediolanum and Iuvavum. Patavium and Segesta follow in the next two turns.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Into debt immediately? It's quite possible to avoid that.

Go for Alesia ASAP and I believe you can siege it on turn 2 (build roads to make it marginally faster, you need the very last couple of movement points). They will sally and get trashed. You will have it during the AI's turn. You can exterminate it for cash. Alesia army goes for southern sweep and sacks Lugundum, Massila and then Narbo Martius.

Leave all your towns empty on the first turn and queue temples and peasants.

After that, build traders whenever you can and have taxes on very high.

I expanded into Denmark with my faction leader's army and then went south.

Easternmost army went towards Northern Italy and sacked rebel towns along the way. Everything else went south.

I marched into Rome in 263 BC. Glorious days of Germania.

I personally did not war upon the Brits until they stabbed me in Alesia with a siege. A relief force was sent led by a lucky adoption candidate with 5 stars and only 18! He was a promising general who with help of spearband, puppies, and screechers became a great hero and the conqueror of Brittania.

Ah, I accumulated units into two armies and went south into Italy immediately. In debt from Turns 3 to 9, but after capturing Mediolanum it was all good. It is now turn 263 winter and I'm slightly slower than you (you're the master of katanking, after all :P), but I'm at most 2 turns away from marching into Rome. Could've been faster if not for the fact that I didn't have enough money to build roads in the Alpine provinces... I know the Brits were going to attack me anyway, so I decided to surrender my settlements to them if they attacked. I don't war the Brits until I cripple the Gauls. Meanwhile, I'm concentrating all efforts on a speedy conquest of Italy. Cities are falling about one every one to two turns.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

After I read about all your insanely effetive expansions, I decided to try some blitz krieg myself.

The year 261 BC. I own 14 provinces, with Luvavum to join my migthy empire the next turn.

The Gauls are so weakened that I can just march into their lands without resistance, and that have never happened to me before, this is kinda freaky

Maybe all of my next campiagns will be blitz krieg campiagns. `cause this campaign have made RTW alot more funny.

But you guys never said anything about how many provinces you got, maybe I`m not that bad after all?
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Meh. I think my province count was something like 18 by 263. Blitzing was a strat that I found back in the days of MTW.

People used to complain that the MTW Turks were the hardest faction in early. I showed a blitz strat that would more than triple the treasury on the second turn (on expert mode, comparable to VH in RTW).

I did blitzing ever since. I've frankly found every faction to be fairly easy as it's quite possible to double or even triple your empire in the first 5-7 turns. The AI just cannot deal with blitzing.

Also, due to how little it is into the game, you can plan for exactly how many units you will come up against as starting armies are fixed.

The strat is a bit too effectively however. It really takes the challenge out of games.

100th reply to the german thread

Anyways, I don't like the whole idea of giving up your homelands to other tribes.

What I did was I took Sambrovia as soon as I could. This kept the Brits at bay. I allied with the Romans in exchange for me attacking the gauls. I took their capital first. They allied with each other in a pathetic attepmt to save themselves. I had decided that I would wait to take out Rome until they were strong.

In the east, I went as far as Domus Dulcis Domus before setting up forts to keep the Scythians out. I sent a diplomat to get an alliance to free up my eastern front when I found that they were in an alliance with britian and gaul. I was considering attacking them when I realized how much like WWII this was like. The Gauls(French), Scythians (Russians) and Brits (Brits) were allied together but I was still at peace with Scythia. I was allied with the Italians. Hmm...

I was determined that my empire would end like the it did in WWII. I immediately invaded Britian with 2 armies and took London first turn with the help of my spies. I quickly took the rest of England when I realized they weren't dead. They had taken Tara. I had never, ever seen the AI take Tara before. I took the city and the Brits were dead. I got a ceasefire from Gaul and allied with the Scythians. With the British out of the picture, I have moved my armies back to the mainland. My next move is to take an army down into Dracia, break my alliance, and take their 3 towns in northern Greece. From there, I will wait until the Romans are strong enough to think they can beat me and attack. I will not start the war, but I will finish it. When they attack, my armies in the old Dracian provinces will attack the Brutii in Greece. My main attack force will come from the north where I am now producing Chosen Axemen and Gothic Cavalry with 3 xp. I will drive down, wipe out the Julii and plunder the Roman capitals before taking the Scipii towns on the Mediteranian Islands starting with Sicily. I will let them keep their African province if they ever get them to begin with. The Cartaginians just defeated a stack and a half of Scipii beseiging Lilybaeum. The Julii haven't gotten past Patavium, and they lost at Mediolanium. However, their full stack army is coming to finish that job now. The Brutii are doing about as I expected. They have Apollonia, Salona, and Segstica and are besieging Thermon. They are allied with Macedon who has the rest of Southern Greece.

A few things about the Germans:

Like it was said before, population growth is painfully slow. That make's it very difficult to get some boats to hop the channel into england. I had 2 full stack armies waiting around for a port to be built.

Economical, the germans aren't too great, but they more than make up for it with their superior military. You can go and take all of the towns around you without much struggle. Once you get your cities developed a bit, you get Chosen Axemen which can cut up the Roman Legions fairly easily. Also you get Gothic Cavalry which is most likely the best cavalry that you will encounter in your game unless you go to the far east. Berserkers are also nice shock troops, though they just don't have the numbers that you need to effectively fight the Romans.

Strategy Against the Romans:

I have found that if you have an army of mostly spear warbands, 4 or so groups of Chosen Axemen, around 4 Gothic Cavalry, and around 4 Chosen Archer Warbands, you can beat just about any roman army. In most cases, let them come to you. Have your spear line with Chosen axemen on the flanks and the Cavalry all together on one side. Have your archers behind your line with flaming arrows on. It is quite obvious what to do now. Have your spearmen engage when the enemy gets close with your Axemen cutting them down on the flanks. Have your archers focus their fire on A) any missile troops the enemy has B) if they don't have any, concentrate fire on the center of their line. Your cavalry must run to the rear of the enemy, and take out the enemy archers before they can destroy your Axemen. After the archers are dealt with, have them smash through the very center of Roman line. This lets your axemen kill more and more importantly lets your cavalry mash the enemy against a literal wall of sharp, pointy sticks. It is Alexander the Great's "Hammer and Anvil" Strategy adapted for use by the barbarians. The enemy line will soon rout and your main line will be saved. The whole line of the enemy will soon collapse, letting your Gothic Cavalry chase down the routing soldiers. Works like a charm.
    Last edited by bubbanator; 06-01-2005 at 20:51.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups...

"Incompetence - When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do. "

bubbanator,

very good job and excellent report. Glad you were not one of Hitler's generals

Red face Re: Germania

Let's not lie the germens suck. They get attacked by everybody. Dacia, britannia, romans (later), and the gauls. They also get no money coming in. So you got to be good with money and have some bad ass generals( with tons of luck). I'll finish this post later.......

Quote Originally Posted by roman god's
    Let's not lie the germens suck. They get attacked by everybody. Dacia, britannia, romans (later), and the gauls. They also get no money coming in. So you got to be good with money and have some bad ass generals( with tons of luck). I'll finish this post later.......
    They most certainly don't suck. They have an excelent military. Have you actualy played as the Germans? Because Dracia will gladly accept an alliance and will almost never attack you because they are being smashed between Macedon, Thrace, and the Brutii.

And besides that, you armies can crush Dracia, Britannia, and the Gauls easily. The Romans are more difficult and you need to wait 'till you tech tree is in full bloom before you can beat the combined Roman forces.

The economy is slow at the begining but it is fueled by your rapid expansionism. Once your economy gets rolling, it dosen't stop either.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups...

"Incompetence - When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do. "

german ok general Member orcorama's Avatar

well mostly thats true but you have a kick @$$ army that can easily overun gaul and britannia
    then you can turn your attention to rome and wipe their faces all over italy
    then take out dacia, they arnt that strong, spain, they arnt that strong either, and then maybe carthage or greece
    by this time youll have boatloads of cash to take on anyone left, maybe egypt or greek cities/macedon assuming you finished off the brutii

what about MP?

i've found that chosen axemen and gothic cavalry are a punishing combo. as well as spears for that "anvil" effect. however, i haven't found much place for the "lesser" units

i find that most all light cavalry (except in huge 6 or more swarms) gets routed extremely easily. I've never really found the 'fear' bonus of night raiders to be all that helpful, and i've never tried to use screechers in mp.

I also find that because of their low armour, germans get wrecked on anything but forests (cut down by archers or swept by cav)

anyone have any interesting german mp techniques?

You want to talk to Wishazu for MP German tactics. He's good with them. But I've only seen him in a forest with the Germans.

I crippled the Gauls in Turn 2-3, actually... Sold my map info for them, they were willing to pay thousands for it. And considering they were spamming swordsmen and warbands, and they only start with 5000d, well... They were soon in such immense debt they were in no shape to resist my Germanic legions :-D But they shaped up after I slaughtered a few of their spammed armies, but it was too late... :-D

It's now 241bc and I own 40 provinces because I slowed down to take in the scenery... I have 7 armies, all over 14 units in strength, crawling over Europe, and an 8th under construction consisting purely of cavalry for the steppes. Fun. While someone *points upwards* preferred Hitler's empire, I initially aimed for Barbarossa's, then tried to figure out the logical paths to take from there. :-)

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Pez,

great success!

Just started a new game with the Britannian. Why don't you join us? You find us in the Colloseum!

Can't join you, Franc, holidays and I've been barred off the internet cos I'm not in school... this is the rare occasion I came back to school... Will join you once the hols are over, yes? Another week or two! ^_^"

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

btw, I'm playing spain now... :-P

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Well, for a change i diceded to keep the overpowered stuff (this means Spearabuse + Barb Cav madness) out of the game.
    The game actually got challening:P
    However, the fact that I actually got losses druning my battles significantly slowed down the expansion.

Aristotle, Chadalac Muskalaid Member Muska Burnt's Avatar

Thumbs down Re: Germania

i haven't tried germania yet i did once and i got my but kicked but that was a while ago so i think im ready

Have anyone tried berserker + axemen combo + chosen archer warband combo? I smashed right through gaul and oblierated britan with two armies consisted nothing but axemen, berserker and archers, and of course, two 10-star generals. And when it is the julii's turn to suffer, I crushed their pathetic armies wave after wave, earning my about 10 famous battle sites down at Massila...
    BTW I preferred axemen rather than chosen axemen because the later has too low of a defense regardless of their good attack and armour-piercing ability...
    Here's how it works:
    axemen=*
    berserkers=^
    archer=!
    your kick-ass general+additional support calvaries=@
    ^ ****** ^
    ! ! ! !
    @@
    This works particularly good on the defensive. Set on flaming arrows. And when enemy troops come within 1o feet of your units, let out warcry! This will sure demorlizes them and boost up your units' attack, and flanking with berserkers+warcry, engaging with axemen+warcry and flaming rain of death by your chosen archer warbands will almost certainly cause an instant rout (98=99% of the time, everytime) and the rest is just mopping up the trash with your general and calvaries...
    Oh and phalanxes only work well when you'er besieged...just place them as close to the walls as possible and they'll poke anything that comes near the wall...

Yep, phase through wall spears kinda make sieges too easy.

Spear warbands are just generally overpowered. When fully upgraded with temple of Woden and weaponsmith, they are a insanely good phalanx unit that can almost compete with highend pikemen in melee.

All of this for a fort level or city level if fully upgraded is a bit much.

Passionate MTW peasant Member Deus ret.'s Avatar

Yes, they're fearsome. Even when the AI controls them. When I played Greeks and encountered them, the hoplites (not the armoured ones, though) had real difficulties in dealing with them, mainly because they are oversized. Oh, and did I mention that the AI had actually built a lvl 3 Woden shrine....those spearbands kick arse. especially in greater numbers which are easy to obtain even for the AI.
    Germans are one of the strongest factions despite being Barbarians. The only perceptable challenge consists in playing on huge unit size: with all your crappy little settlements, it will take a while to level them up as long as you fight on all sides at once, even more so against opponents who don't have similar handicaps.
    Vexilla Regis prodeunt Inferni.

But if you do something like blitz into Italy while crippling Gaul at the same time right at the beginning, then there is no handicap.

Dare I say overpowered?

Passionate MTW peasant Member Deus ret.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by katank
    Dare I say overpowered?
    mmh you're right. they should've been made somewhat weaker or at least more vulnerable, as the HRE in MTW was. very nice faction, back then. ok, Romans never conquered a lot of Germany, but outside their lands the Germans were not really up to them, either.
    Vexilla Regis prodeunt Inferni.

Actually blitzing in general seems a bit overpowered.

Germania in blitzing gain the particular fast population necessary. By the time you hit Italy while blitzing, most places are already cities, thus giving you your best units in less than 10 years' time.

Quote Originally Posted by Deus ret.
    mmh you're right. they should've been made somewhat weaker or at least more vulnerable, as the HRE in MTW was. very nice faction, back then. ok, Romans never conquered a lot of Germany, but outside their lands the Germans were not really up to them, either.

Germania was never united. It was always a collection of tribes. But nevertheless - it were Germanians that destroit and conquered western Roman empire

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast