Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Britannia

Red face Re: Britannia

ohhhhhhhhh yeah i forgot anybody know how to get druids.

if you can
    Last edited by roman god's; 02-22-2005 at 00:43.

Default Re: Britannia

yea i wanted to kno that too but i bet u have to get the best form of the temple thing that lets u make woad warriors

I ain't played Britons yet, but for the Gauls you need the final Temple of Epona. There is a full temple guide in the guide section if I recall, so you can find out for sure there.

Edit - Of course I meant Esus, not Epona (knew it began with E, like many great things).
    The temple guide can be found in Ludus Magna section and according to that you need the Sacred Grove of Brigantia.
    Last edited by Gallicflair; 02-24-2005 at 09:19.

If you want to play a faction where you can sit and rack in the money, Britannia is for you, for some reason that island generates a lot of trade.
    Unforunatly, they are in a tough position for conquest. they have the germans to the southeast, and with their units they will cause havoc on your leaders unit . So most wouldn't go that route, the only other choice would to go south into Gaul. though that cause problems in the long run, because of the size of their empire and the similarties in your troops .
    I personally haven't really found a way to harness the trade into a profitable conquest . but there are always a chance for a lucky break.
    PS. reply if you can tell me a good route to take.

If you're one of those people who believe that generals should be leading their soldiers into battle (and I am), then perhaps Britannia is NOT for you. Britannia's generals ride on scythed chariots, and I have absolutely no idea how these things work. Yes, they disrupt formations, but they don't actually -kill- anyone, mostly they just push people over. Should you use them on an enemy unit pinned down by your forces, they'll likely mow down as many of your own people as the enemy. If you use them on routers, they'll keep running over them for hours, killing the routers in ones and twos. And Zeus forbid that you should try using them for a frontal charge. They're naturally frail compounded with probably low experience because they kill very few enemies per battle.

Otherwise, like the other 'barbarian' factions, Britannia gets pretty strong militarily with fewer buildings. Unlike the other barbarian factions, the Britons can develop a good economy early because all their starting provinces allow for sea trade, plus the bonus you get for building the 'merchant temples'. So while Gaul is practically identical to Britannia except that they get excellent archers, and Germania has much stronger infantry, archers, AND Gothic Cavalry (keeping in mind that all barbarian factions can build powerful units sooner), Britannia's economy makes Britannia the faction most able to zerg rush all others. Supposedly, Britannia's military revolves around the chariot, but as stated in the 1st paragraph, I find their melee chariots very hard to use effectively. However, they get Light Chariots; missile chariots, which makes them the 'horse archer' barbarian faction, and this is what makes Britannia a force to be reckoned with, or at least, outright devious compared to your infantry-intensive neighbours.

There's really nothing to playing Britannia, especially if you've played another barbarian faction already. Build > Get Denarii > Buy troops > ZOMG RUSH > Rinse, repeat. If you're a veteran of 'civilized' factions, and depending on your tactical style, barbarians can be either liberating or annoying. Generally your battles become Braveheart-esque pile-ups. You never ever have to think about such silly civilized notions like finesse or subtlety.

Quote Originally Posted by roman god's
    It's me again.

I've just went through 20 more turns and found that swordsman and warhounds are the bomb to use.

right later
    ^lmao

Anyways, I find that chariots can be used very successfully. The trick is to break up formations with skirmishers and light chariots, then bring in the heavy stuff to roll them over then wipe them out with the main force.

at the beginning only fight whe n you r sure u can win

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic
    If you're one of those people who believe that generals should be leading their soldiers into battle (and I am), then perhaps Britannia is NOT for you. Britannia's generals ride on scythed chariots, and I have absolutely no idea how these things work. Yes, they disrupt formations, but they don't actually -kill- anyone, mostly they just push people over. Should you use them on an enemy unit pinned down by your forces, they'll likely mow down as many of your own people as the enemy. If you use them on routers, they'll keep running over them for hours, killing the routers in ones and twos. And Zeus forbid that you should try using them for a frontal charge. They're naturally frail compounded with probably low experience because they kill very few enemies per battle.
    One of my fave games was as the Brits and I loved my chariots. Admittedly they're dangerous things and i lost more than one general using them to directly assault enemy formations. Seems with cavalry your general is pretty safe up until your bodyguard has been decemated but with Chariots this doesn't look to be the case. I found that they were great at mowing down retreating warriors and the chariots with archers were good for getting cheap archers early on and they have a long range.
    Last edited by Ulfang; 03-17-2005 at 19:12.
    Xfire: Ulfang
    TWC: Gavmundo

The chariots are actually great rout chasers, but not independently. I will usually send the chariots after the fleeing enemies, being careful to choose the faster troops first (I've caught cavalry with chariots, even through wooded areas. Are chariots naturally faster than plain ol' horses?), then send the faster foot troops (slinger/woad warriors) after them as well. The chariots, if you plan it well, will run through the fleeing troops, killing some and knocking the rest down, hopefully through multiple units. Your fast troops will catch up pretty quickly when the enemy are lying on their backs, and you'll have few problems wiping everything out.

Other than that, missile-less chariots are best used as shock troops, I find. Charge your opponents from behind with them and run them over, then pull them out and do it again. Even the mere presence of them is enough to screw around with the enemy's morale, so it's not really a bad idea to have them close, even if you're apprehensive about their actual combat ability.

Hm... Well. what i love about the Britons are their their army.. although admittedly not as good as some other factions. Just playing a short game on M/M with them.

The fact that i had 2 10 star generals MIGHT have changed things a little.. but that was very fun (slaughtered 4 full-stack gaulish armies in a row with that lovely army, then another 2 a few turns later) - allowed me to take over most of Gaul at barely any cost. The worst battle was losing 600 soldiers on huge size with that army. the best battle was losing 50 soldiers

My usual army was usually this: 1 general, 3 light chariots, 2 barbarian cavalry mercenaries, 3 swordsmen, 2 woad warriors, 2 war hounds and the rest were warbands. That actually worked quite well, although i really do need to test WITHOUT a 10 star general (my battles were usually really short... as soon as i charged one flank with 2 chariots and 2 cavalry the rest of the enemy army just melted away really really fast). I would probably replace everything the swordsmen and the warbands with Chosen Swordsmen later, but the warbands are STILL decently useful for absorbing tough stuff like a cavalry charge, since their huge numbers allow them to absorb a cavalry charge very well.

Their position is actually one of the better ones i've seen (and one which i love to use), since they only have ONE land border. Take that Irish province early and its very much worth it, since its decent cash, and it really helps since you still only need one army to hold your mainland city. In my entire game i never actually bothered with keeping any garisson on the islands, just used 2 little navies to clean up all the Gallic ships floating around it. This means that you can defend your mainland provinces VERY well with your standing armies without suffering much in upkeep. In about 60 turns I managed to get a very very nice income , getting enough to upkeep 3 full-stack armies to hold my 4 Gallic provinces (the 4 in the top left) and still gain 1000-2000+ denarii in profit every turn. (i didn't need to train many troops though, since i was in a consolidation/building phase. So people who rush the game might find yourself suffering a little economy-wise)

Just remember with the Britons, you can actually gain a LOT by improving your income FIRST because of the amount of trade you can get from your provinces. Plus, its not really that hard to defend your only vulnerable city on the mainland.

I would recommend to take out most of Gaul and then take over the Iberian peninsula first. Try not to go anywhere near the Romans, at all, until you've secured the Iberian peninsula. Just maintain a very weak Gallic nation as a buffer between you and the Julii. I personally reckon its too risky to take out the Romans in a fair fight - so outnumber them, and outnumber them badly. But at least you've got one thing to look foward to. The Julii are going to be the only real opposition you're going to face going down south. The Scipii are usually running around in Africa and wiping the floor with Carthage and Numidia, and the Brutii are in Greece. As a result... their armies on the Italian peninsula, and Sicily, are at best skeleton forces.
    Last edited by Shadar; 03-20-2005 at 13:20.

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

Actually, blitzing fast is critical as you want to get to the Romans before they reform.

Your chariot archers are powerful but are highly vulnerable to archers. Once they get archer auxilia, your chariots are toast. Their super high post-marian armor for infantry and cav will also destroy hopes of killing them through missiles.

Chosen swords can fight their early and even late legions to a standstill but you lose much of the edge in chariots.

my british campaign went well to start with and i blitzed through the gaul but problems came when i (stupidly) cancelled my alliance with the julii.. they attacked and i had to withdraw back to central gaul! i opposed the romans too soon and paid the price!

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

What were the army compositions? Warbands don't do very well vs. hastatis. loads of chariots can maul their cav and leave the infantry exposed to constant missile fire.

Swordsmen are also fairly low tech and powerful.

chosen swordsmen, missile chariots and head hurlers are the best troops for britain! briliant i love them!

Post Re: Britannia

i found brittiania a lot of fun there chariots are there thing .dont even think about goin fro germinia they will beat u go for gaul and make friends with germinia.after u take gaul make sure u have enough men to cover ur towns dont leave them open germinia wil break the alliance well thye did with me i had row of herioc vistorys all through france i called it the road to victory i got to rome then they forced me back a bit .i completed the short campaign but not long .have fun littlegannon.
    "Do you have blacks, too?" —to Brazilian President Fernando Cardoso, Washington, D.C., Nov. 8, 2001
    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004
    "I want you to know. Karyn is with us. A West Texas girl, just like me."
    —Nashville, Tenn., May 27, 2004

how stupid george bush is !

Hey, you stealing on my Road To Victory?!?! Remember, it was a joint campaign! lol

i agree greg sorry
    "Do you have blacks, too?" —to Brazilian President Fernando Cardoso, Washington, D.C., Nov. 8, 2001
    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

Anyway, back on topic. My recommendation for the Britons is to recruit as many Woad Warriors as you can, and then blitz the Gaul as quickly as you can. Sign a peace treaty with the Germans to prolong their attack (it should come sooner or later) and concentrate on the Gaul. If you can take a lot of their territory it will cripple them. But don't stop and give them time to recover.. Head into Spain to take Numantia with one army and send an army down to take Masilla and Narbo Martius..

When you go for Mediolanium and Patavium, be careful with the Julii they could attack, it's wise to sign an alliance with them beforehand if you can. Good luck!

Duking it out Member Grand Duke Vytautas's Avatar

Yo hi all Brittania fans! I'm playing a short campaign on M/M v1.2 with this cool faction and must say Brits totaly rock! Yeah man their barbarian-fanatical units (Woad Warriors , Head Hurlers , Druids (their chanting is so COOL! )) and British Chariots make all the foes piss their pants and rout very quickly, especially if you attack before war cry.
    So here's what I've learned from playing this campaign. Firstly took everything I had from Britannia Island to mainland, left only a minimal garnison (1peasants) in each town and attacked Gaul's settlement Alesia. As guys here advised I signed treaty with Germans to prevent war on two fronts (later those bastards attacked me still but I've wiped out their full stack army ). So once I was at war with Gaul I didn't stop and later Gaul faction only had 2 settlements in Northern Italy and one in the center of Spain. Now it's about 240bc in my short campaign (cause you can get all this faction's units in a short period, not like e.g. romans), I have 13 provinces (2 remaining and the destruction of Gaul for victory), (also I kicked some German ass before that.)
    What about economy? First priority would be ports, roads, farm upgrades (if the fertility is high) then comes trade increasing buildings (trader, market ...)
    At the beginning I only build military buildings in few town where they where needed the most, cause Brits' economy is poor at the start of the game, you need to improve it. So focus on economy at the beginning
    Must mention that it is important also to build watchtowers. They are very cool for monitoring bandits' and especially enemy movement. Find a suitable location for them (mostly on a hill or road). I find forts also very useful in chokepoints (like river crossings, mountain pass). I keep in them a garnison of about 4 units (1 ranged, 1 cavalry, 2 infantry) to destroy bandits and also to defend borders.
    What about army composition? Well my most balanced army as Brits would be like this: 2-4 brit light or heavy chariots on the wings of army (although I like archer chariots more) - this is the best unit of Britannia IMO, 2 ranged foot units (slingers or later head hurlers) place them in front of the army, 2 barbcavmerc if you can afford it (heavy cav is the drawback in Brits army), few units of wardogs, the rest is infantry: warband (later swordsmen and chosen swordsmen) as the main line, druids just behind them to support fighters with chanting, on the infantry wings there should be some units of Woad Warriors or Swodsmen for flanking operations, and of course the army should have a decent general. I place him behind main force in the center. Remember always to use the war cry as this improves morale and gives bonuses for attack. So that's about all I've learned while playing this wonderful faction BRITANNIA! Yeah WE SHALLlll RUUUULE! FEARRRRR USSSS! Good luck everyone!
    "All pagans unite"
    Playing Kingdoms as LITHUANIA! My Lithuanian AAR
    WATCH my M2TW KINGDOMS REMIX and ETW intro video

Email me for 4winds M2TW music mod (NEW improved version)
    CHECK OUT my GUIDES for RTW-BI DarthMod!

Invisible member of B.A.L.T.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Duke Vytautas of the Lithuanians
    Yo hi all Brittania fans! I'm playing a short campaign on M/M v1.2 with this cool faction and must say Brits totaly rock! Yeah man their barbarian-fanatical units (Woad Warriors , Head Hurlers , Druids (their chanting is so COOL! )) and British Chariots make all the foes piss their pants and rout very quickly, especially if you attack before war cry.
    So here's what I've learned from playing this campaign. Firstly took everything I had from Britannia Island to mainland, left only a minimal garnison (1peasants) in each town and attacked Gaul's settlement Alesia. As guys here advised I signed treaty with Germans to prevent war on two fronts (later those bastards attacked me still but I've wiped out their full stack army ). So once I was at war with Gaul I didn't stop and later Gaul faction only had 2 settlements in Northern Italy and one in the center of Spain. Now it's about 240bc in my short campaign (cause you can get all this faction's units in a short period, not like e.g. romans), I have 13 provinces (2 remaining and the destruction of Gaul for victory), (also I kicked some German ass before that.)
    What about economy? First priority would be ports, roads, farm upgrades (if the fertility is high) then comes trade increasing buildings (trader, market ...)
    At the beginning I only build military buildings in few town where they where needed the most, cause Brits' economy is poor at the start of the game, you need to improve it. So focus on economy at the beginning
    Must mention that it is important also to build watchtowers. They are very cool for monitoring bandits' and especially enemy movement. Find a suitable location for them (mostly on a hill or road). I find forts also very useful in chokepoints (like river crossings, mountain pass). I keep in them a garnison of about 4 units (1 ranged, 1 cavalry, 2 infantry) to destroy bandits and also to defend borders.
    What about army composition? Well my most balanced army as Brits would be like this: 2-4 brit light or heavy chariots on the wings of army (although I like archer chariots more) - this is the best unit of Britannia IMO, 2 ranged foot units (slingers or later head hurlers) place them in front of the army, 2 barbcavmerc if you can afford it (heavy cav is the drawback in Brits army), few units of wardogs, the rest is infantry: warband (later swordsmen and chosen swordsmen) as the main line, druids just behind them to support fighters with chanting, on the infantry wings there should be some units of Woad Warriors or Swodsmen for flanking operations, and of course the army should have a decent general. I place him behind main force in the center. Remember always to use the war cry as this improves morale and gives bonuses for attack. So that's about all I've learned while playing this wonderful faction BRITANNIA! Yeah WE SHALLlll RUUUULE! FEARRRRR USSSS! Good luck everyone!
    Brilliant strategy, one tip I have to add: Don't use warcry too late. It takes them a while to finish it, and if they dont finish it, I don't think it has the full effect..

Good Luck everyone with one of the most exciting factions!!

Quote Originally Posted by Craterus
    Brilliant strategy, one tip I have to add: Don't use warcry too late. It takes them a while to finish it, and if they dont finish it, I don't think it has the full effect..

Good Luck everyone with one of the most exciting factions!!
    but dont use it too early i ave had experince of using warcry too early and they dont use the power of the charge

It does give a charge bonus, but the main bonus is in the attack (+4?) so you want to warcry and then charge on the advancing enemy immediately afterwards.. Timing is essential, you want the enemy to be close enough so you can engage almost immediately after warcry, but not close enough that they attack you before you finish your warcry.

Duking it out Member Grand Duke Vytautas's Avatar

Yes, thanks Craterus, got your point . Just wondering does warcry affects gives some bonuses on defence , say the enemy is charging and my unit has already finished taunting. What then? Anyway, I noticed that warcry also gives quite a blow to enemy's morale (e.g. simple peasants almost run away).
    "All pagans unite"
    Playing Kingdoms as LITHUANIA! My Lithuanian AAR
    WATCH my M2TW KINGDOMS REMIX and ETW intro video

Email me for 4winds M2TW music mod (NEW improved version)
    CHECK OUT my GUIDES for RTW-BI DarthMod!

Invisible member of B.A.L.T.S.

I think it adds +4 to attack but I'm not sure of it's effects on defence. I think it has a positive effect on their morale. I'm all of it's effects are positive. It's that extra before they run into battle.

By the way, if the enemy is charging at you and you've finished your warcry, I recommend that you charge straight back at them. The warcry gives a brilliant charge bonus so it's almost definite your charge will be more powerful so you'll do loads more damage.

If it is cavalry that is charging towards you, remain still, this absorbs the charge better than if the unit is moving.

Hope I've helped.

u can hardly talk craterus u are the one in our campaigns that said to charge int o the horses i taught u it absorbed it stop taking credit for stuff that u didnt no till i told u

I didn't take credit for the cavalry charge part, hence the change in paragraph. My personal tips for people are in the paragraph above. Also, you need to make sure your lines are a few rows deep as to absorb the charge better. It doesn't matter as much if you are stationary, I think the unit depth matters more.

Yo dude, chill out anyway, I'm just passing on the knowledge, be thankful yu have some.
    Last edited by Craterus; 04-06-2005 at 16:19. Reason: more text

but it think chariots are better to fight the cavalry there chariots are alrite but not as good a egpytian .i found there light chariots alot of use because they are good for rounding enemys after they rout and weaken the enemy in the fight with arrows .

Mobile missiles (missile cavalry and missile chariots) are brilliant units in RTW.
    The Egyptian charioteers were the best/most experienced at driving chariots but I think it is easier to drive chariots over sand than over British and French terrain.

The heavy chariots are better at killing routing units but chariots are overly crap at this. They keep running over the routing men but they don't kill them. I recommend to send merc barbarian cavalry (if you've got some) after routing enemies because they would do a much better and faster job.

I love Britannia, it's such an exciting faction...

Angry Re: Britannia

Craterus had some lovely tips. There's a few misconceptions posted that i'd like to correct from other posters though.

(1) Druids are created at a 'sacred circle of brigantia.' Druids are actually a very tough nut to crack. They tend to be a priority target for the enemy, so take advantage of this (sort of like the tendency of infantry, whilst charging, to focus on the machinegun post)

(2) I've been pondering the whole "occupy settlement vs exterminate" and have discovered that taxation isn't linear to population (so that extermination doesn't affect your bottom line in the long run like you'd think)
    • i'll experiment to test this, but from what i've studied population centres between 4000-12000 all seem to give taxes (at very high; no governors) of approx 1000-1500
    (3) Sea trade routes are critical. I find Germania is easy to form trade agreements with and is quite friendly in the long term. And attacking across the alps like hannibal is NOT a good idea. It's better to have trade agreements with the poncy romans than not (unless you take Craterus' advice and gain alliance with paranoid Julii). Besides, those two cities have incredibly high base farming values of 4.0% and 5.5%...personally, the potential loss of sea trade with the romans makes such a maneuver highly unwise. Okay, so who to attack? Well, the spaniards are stupidly easy to defeat using Chariot Archers (preferably built at a captured Gaul-built sacred circle of Epona, and upgraded at Abnoba/weaponsmith)
    • good luck finding a gaulish temple of epona. they seemed to prefer the other types. Teutatis is great for all your ground troops except druids/woad/heads
    (4) Combat. I never buy Swordsmen except for the chosen kind for urban combat; Headhurlers are a mixed bag, but like all javelin-ranged units i hate them (besides, have you SEEN how long the chariot archer ammo lasts?!?! omfg!) Oh, and i refuse to use wardogs, but love running them over with chariots. yum! My optimal army is three groups of 3 chariot archers, 2 druids, 3 spears, 3 woad warriors, 2 merc cav and a general with these ancilliaries:
    • Priest (of Andrasta)
    • (Famous) Warrior
    • Merc(enary Captain)
    • (Priestess of) Brig
    • (Wise) Woman
    • Bard
    • Druid (healing)
    • one free slot for usually Witch, but bodyguard is nice too.
    (5) Civil Admin. Well, not needing archery range, stables nor advanced halls of heroes, things become rather cheap indeed. Your major centre of concern, ironically, is the sea. Having some doofus blockade your best income source really is a problem. Getting "Shipwrights" is a major priority, but you'll really want to avoid building ANY farming upgrades - is that little bit extra cash going to outweight the 100gp/turn you'll need for those peasants for public order? I'd recommend getting into the habit of building "temples" to Brigandia to boost pop (don't bother with markets beyond a trading post - they don't increase beyond +0.5%) then tearing the temple down once you hit 12000 and build the next governor upgrade, and building something useful in it's place (though having a sacred circle to brig at Tara is perfect cause it's only got 1% base farming)...So, basically, it's all about Temples and Ports with market upgrades secondary and a blacksmith/weaponsmith for your core troop building centres. Corruption is based on distance from your capital. I've found that an empire stretching from Patavium up north to Mogontiacum (bypassing Iuvavum) and west to spain, the best spot for your capital is Alesia...As for where to build your temples to Andrasta? Right next to a province with a captured "teutonis"/"epona"/"abnoba", with them all bunched together preferably - preferably landlocked provinces. You can import your druids from Tara. Have temples to Britannia at every other 'Minor City' you have - except at places where you've captured some temple that you like. Your governors should only be placed at troop building centers or major trading ports.
    • [i]i found, with 22 provinces, i only had about 7 governors
    • Tara
    • (Priestess of) Brig
    • (Priestess of) Brit
    • (wise) Man
    • (wise) Woman
    • Civil(ized slave)
    • Bard
    • Silk/Spice (merchant)
    • open slot, usually witch, but a 'merchant' you can import all the way from a roman city is nice.

Inland production centres
    • (Priest of) Andrasta
    • (famous) Warrior
    • Merc(enary captain)
    • (Priestess of) Brig
    • Civil(ized slave)
    • Bard
    • (master) Smith
    • open slot, usually witch, but a roman gotten 'overseer' is nice...a wiseman is nice, but i found them hard to come by in the later game. hoard them!

coastal production centers
    • (Priest of) Andrasta
    • (famous) Warrior
    • Merc(enary captain)
    • (Priestess of) Brit
    • Bard
    • Silk/Spice (merchant)
    • (master) Smith
    • open slot, usually civilized slave (or wiseman), but a 'merchant' you got from a roman city is awesome.

major coast trade zones (london, etc)
    • (Priest of) Andrasta
    • (Priestess of) Brig
    • (Priestess of) Brit
    • (wise) Man
    • Civil(ized slave)
    • Bard
    • Silk/Spice (merchant)
    • open slot, witch, but a 'merchant' you got from a roman city is awesome, especially for london.

druids would be nice for governors, but they're hard to come by (even worse are wise men) so hoard them for your war generals. Besides, witches increase chance for offspring which i think is more important in the long run
    (5)Agents. I've found two diplomats can cover the entire map, clockwise, if you send one inland and the other along the coast. it worked out they were within a season of each other once they reached western sahara, before dropping dead. I figure they had the most fun of any of my troops. Before patch 1.2 i found that spies would become plague carriers. Great if you wanted to include WMD in your game, but lousy when the AI got you too...i'm rather curious after the patch because i find spies tend to die instead of becoming carriers. This is important because i tended to go overkill on my counterespionage network - they're expensive to maintain! Anyways, you'll need spies and assassins. Never build watch towers, but place a spy into each fort you build (more on that later) plus have one in each of your non-britain cities (i used to have two). Buy assassins and place two per army (i used to have three)...I'd prefer to use diplomats for fort maintenace duty, but they'd probably get killed off and i'd lose the fort AND the diplomat.
    • replace them once they hit 60, and strip their retinues, then send the old godgers off to spy on foreign cities - great for sieges cause the doors might be open. Do the same with assassins but try to kill the assassins off with hard missions, since they're super expensive to maintain. Don't bother doing maintenance on diplomats.
    (6) Forts. Watch Towers suck. Forts rule, except do you place a peasant in them to maintain or an agent? Well, it's simple: if you have merely a spy maintaining a fort it'll never be destroyed, plus it serves as a watch tower too! I have about less than a dozen in my empire and i prefer to build them between cities early on in the game and have them at the range of an infantry movement. I tend to grow attached to these for sentimental value, and really ought to lower my overhead. But they're so darned cute! Besides, in a pinch you can shove a peasant unit in them and totally block a strategic passage for dirt cheap. However, once you're at the stage of using 'rally points' for troop building later on in the game you'll want to remove any forts enroute. By that time you'll have an counterinsurgency army running about making sure your recruits don't get bushwacked by ambushes or surprise raids.
    • btw, as for peasants? exporting peasants from 'shrines of teutonis' is a great idea. Just exterminate each city you capture and build some peasants fast and then replace them with the upgraded kind later.
    (7) Beer. Well, i think the last topic should be where to build those pubs. I recommend you build them only at cities where there's no governor, that way you can boost the tax rate to very high...i'm fairly certain i see a correlation between drunken ancillaries and vices cropping up when i have taverns/bardics.

so, besides the neat 'overseer'/'merchant' ancilliaries you can get from roman cities, there's not much point in ruining trade agreements with them. Place some forts in the alp passes with a peasant in them and forget about the last Gaulish provinces.

Lightbulb Re: Britannia

oh, silly me. the other reason not to tick the romans off is that chariot archers tend to SUCK against armies backed up by onagers and ballistas and other nasty icky siege stuff. actually, if someone can explain how to take out a roman army on a level playing field (ie. no terrain issues) i'd be most grateful. I've become rather lazy playing brits and cruising around in my souped up chariot.

ahhhhh...the days of holding off hordes of shogun armies with a balanced army. *sigh*
    Last edited by MajorFreak; 04-07-2005 at 11:18.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast