Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Britannia

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Default Re: Britannia

Just finished my first B campiagn. I changed the boumdaries a bit. My target was to get all islands on the map plus Jerusalem as fast as possible. Restrictions were not to attack any town held by Gauls and not to bribe.
    Well, there are two possible strategies: Figjht all the way through Germania to the Med or put your armies on board and swim. I decided to swim. I shipped my armies to Spain and conquered the Spanish towns. I succeeded without major problems. However, Gauls kept on attacking me. Though I could easily kill them it took far too long. I took Carthago Nova in 256. Then I had to wait until 241 until I got the first town on Sicily, my next major target. Once there it was easy. Scippi had the whole island and I 'liberated' it in 235. To secure it and to get more money I landed in Italy and conquered everything upto Capua. Whem I attacked Rome the Senate took me by surprise and killed my army.
    Then I took the main army on board again and headed eastwards. Jumping islands was no big thing. Most trouble I had was unhappiness and money. So I erased the pop of every new town.I finally reached and took Jerusalem in 215.
    Despite all the others I think heavy chariots are a killer. I fought 52 battles, won almost every one and all the times the chariots made the decisive strike. Rest of your units are weak, besides chosen swordsmen, maybe. I had an army with 7 heavy chariots and they could easily chase every Roman army they met.
    Here is something for those who like numbers:
    I fought 52 land battles
    I killed 42,000 soldiers
    I lost 11,000 men.
    Killing ratio is 3.7.

Ah, but no bribing is a major constraint :-D

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Pez,
    can you make bribing guide. I never tried to and to be honest I never have enough money to do it. I spend all my money for my own troops.

Big stacks of enemies cost too much. Small ones are just not worth being bribed. You can easily kill them and gain experience.

Gladly. I shall attempt to write a guide to diplomacy as a powerful supplement to armed struggle (that sounds communist, hmmm) but I warn that it will not be as professional as Quietus' or frogbeastegg's... I'm a soldier. I don't know subtle, but there's no problem that a big chest of gold and a wall of sharp pointy sticks won't solve. :-)

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Why don't you call it:
    A guide based on the principles of Marxism-Leninism about diplomacy as a powerful supplement to armed struggle to counter imperialistic agressions especially the US and Singapoore

er....Franc? O.o *checks for fever*

Okay, you're certified insane. Lololol....

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Can Britons get stone walls. And I mean in native lands, not a freshly conquered Carthage.
    Its not flooding if you have something good to say.

Nope, just wooden.

Barb factions can upgrade to minor cities, but they don't have access to the stone walls that would commonly come with a city.

Passionate MTW peasant Member Deus ret.'s Avatar

Which would probably be slightly unfair, at least under some circumstances. Imagine to be able to man your stone walls in every city with, say, chosen archers ....it would take a lot to conquer such a barbarian empire.
    Vexilla Regis prodeunt Inferni.

It's a shame, but I don't think there's any record of barbarian civilisations ever having stone walled cities, so that's why they don't have access in the game.

i gues they did that to make it more historical.

...which is fine as far as I'm concerned. Even Alesia and Gergovia only had wooden walls.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

This is only my second campaign, and my first full(50 provinces + rome) campaign...

What I've done so far, is basically cut a swath down the middle of Gaul countries. I took Condate Redonum first, followed by Alesia. Then hit Lemonum and Massilia because it was really lightly defended. Then Lugdunum and Narbo Martius. I also grabbed Tara pretty early on, but that wasn't a big deal.

The Gauls never really gave me any trouble at all, only Germania has been causing any problems by attacking Alesia, Samarobriva and Lugdunum randomly. I threw up 2 forts in the Narbo Martius territory to cut off Spains easy access and one in Aquitania. Also one in the pass near Massilia that leads to Julii territory. The only Gaul outposts left it would seem are in Numantia and Mediolanium. I'm content to let them have them for now as my generals haven't been having many babies...so I'm going to call my forces home for a few turns and work on baby making and town building. I've got watch towers on the borders of Germania territory so I can see when they are coming and keep two generously garrisoned armies in Alesia and Samarobriva.

I have to figure out at this point whether I want to head east into Germania or West into Spain. I was thinking about taking out Spain first since it's a much smaller area to try and control and then I can work East towards Germania once I secure the penninsula.

Suggestions are welcome on what direction I should take, I've got 11 regions and 247 turns left. I have some good generals and thick armies and I'm ready to expand in either direction, I was just thinking Spain since it's a smaller area by far and it won't be so hard to defend.

I would say take down Germania if you want to have more diplomatic fun later on fighting other factions. Spain limits you. And if your spanish are still fortified mao in descr_strat, you're going to have a hard time with them anyway, so go for Germania. Somehow, they're always Britannia's traditional enemy, so play by that line. Since you've already adopted a defensive stand on Spain, complete it by fortifying the north-coast approach to Asturica via Numantia, fortify the approach from Numantia to Lemonum, as well as the pass at the southern end of the Pyrenees, and the pass in front of Osca. Defend from Spain and head into Italy via Germania. Once you take the German and Dacian provinces, as well as Segestica and Salona you will have a nice defensible frontier that you can fortify and stop behind. Scythia will never be a threat to you, and the salient you create with Porrolissum and Campus Iaazyges is easily defended because of the protection of the Carpathian mountains. After you get continental Europe you can then sit pretty while you take out Spain and West Africa, and leave Greece and Macedon and the Brutii to fight it out. Otherwise I would say Spain its really not worth your time right now, not until right at the end when you take Corduba-Tingi to get the trade that makes it all worthwhile.
    Last edited by pezhetairoi; 08-12-2005 at 07:30.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

I took the plunge into Spain after reading this because when they declared war on me they brought all three of the main roman factions into it as well. So i figure it should be a quick conquest, then on to germania.

One thing I'm noticing, after playing the Julii...it seems that money is a lot harder to come by. Or I should say that the Julii have a lot easier time raking money in via the coastal provinces or at least thats the way it seems to me. I'm not pulling in hardly any money.

Passionate MTW peasant Member Deus ret.'s Avatar

Hmmm do you know that the British are potentially the richest Barbarians IMHO? Even if they more or less stick to their starting provinces.

1) in Britain itself, trade goods are ample. Thus, build roads and traders to exploit this.

2) the sea connection Londinium-Samarxxx in Belgium is your real cash-cow in early game. Be sure to build ports in both settlements ASAP and they will roll in the dough for you.
    If you already conquered North Gaul, build ports there as well -- sea trade across the channel is very profitable in general.

3) conquer Ireland and set up a similar sea trade route as mentioned above. You will soon see results.

I never had less financial problems when playing Barbarians than when I played Britain...of course, compared to the Julii you might be on the downside because they get a lot of cash out of the Senate missions and can also gain some nice trade routes by conquering Spain.
    Last edited by Deus ret.; 08-13-2005 at 18:10.
    Vexilla Regis prodeunt Inferni.

Member Member Mongerius Scarface's Avatar

I've played as the Britons for quite some time now and I must say they are much better than all the other factions I've yet played. Though I'm hardly using any of those cursed chariots though. I just took Bordesholm, Batavodorum and Tara at the beginning to get some money. Left big garrisons there, enslaved the populace and soon I was gettin like 6000-7000 denarii per turn. I built most of the trade buildings and the infantry-making buildings and when being able to produce chosen swordsmen (love them ) I took on against the gauls, leaving the germans for what they are. I easily conquered their whole territory and whiped them out. The Germans didn't attack me yet, apart from some little sieges on Trier and Batavodorum. Now I'm about to attack the Julii which were, up till now, completely crushed against my great swordsmen (love them ).

By the way I read somewhere on this forum that someone played his first campaign as the Britons. How is that possible, because you have to wipe the faction out first, isn't it? Maybe someone has an answer to this ?

By the way this is my first post on this forum
    The Spartans do not ask with how many, but where they are.

Welcome to the Guild

On RTW, you unlock a number of factions after completing your first campaign as a Roman faction. Some others can be unlocked by modifying a Data file.

If you do want to unlock the unplayable factions, make sure to back up the files and make sure you know what you are doing..

Quote Originally Posted by Craterus
    Welcome to the Guild

On RTW, you unlock a number of factions after completing your first campaign as a Roman faction. Some others can be unlocked by modifying a Data file.

If you do want to unlock the unplayable factions, make sure to back up the files and make sure you know what you are doing..

My point was that the guy who posted it said that his campaign with the Britons was the first campaign he ever played. So I presume that isn't possible ??

It is. With game editing.

If you don't want to play a campaign with the Romans (to unlock the unlockable factions), you can edit the game.

What you would do, is copy Britain from unlockable into playable. After doing so, you would delete Britain from unlockable. Then, you have another faction to choose from for your first campaign.

All righty then :P

Happy to have helped.

I just played a custom battle with the British - I was testing to find out how many soldiers my graphics card could handle (3200 - terrible), but decided to play the battle anyway. I won it, easily, but my army consisted of only 4 different units (Warlord, Light Chariots, Chosen Swordsmen and Head Hurlers). Has anyone got bored of the Briton units towards the end of a campaign? I got bored of Thrace's roster fairly quickly.

I really got bored of the British Units. Mainly because of the fact that I actually only use chosenswordsmen head hurlers and Light Chariots (almost the same like you ). Though I really still think the Chariots completely suck. They have a very bad morale and will rout easily if they take too many losses. I just stopped playing after I conquered Rome. Because it really got boring

Well, the easy tactic when using those units is to send Light Chariots forward, slaughter them with arrows, then let what's left engage with your Chosen Swordsmen - they should be capable of finishing whatever survived the arrows (with Head Hurlers throwing over the top) - and then if your Chosen's aren't finishing the job, send your Warlord round the back to finish the job (while your Chosen's hold the line).

These tactics will work almost all the time, but I have found enemies getting used to tactics in RTW and doing their best to wreck them - I really liked using a defensive crescent of phalanxes when playing Macedon, and by the end of my campaign in Italy, the Julii refused to go into the centre of my crescent.

Ok I'm reading all kinds of things that people are playing as Thrace and Macedon. How is that possible?

And where do I have to put factions from locked to unlocked?

Search for Mikeus Ceaser's "Modding for Dummies", a link should be in his sig, or PM him so he can send you a link. Anyway, this tells you how to unlock all factions.

Tezeu's strategy!
    I play on VH/H.
    I read here, I read there. Hmm! What the f...! Let's start and I'll see.
    So I analyzed: what position I have on the map, what kind of troops(- and +), Who are my neighbours and which are their strategies ON LONG TERM? But their neighbours? Bla, bla, a lot of questions.
    Conclusions:
    1. I'm very weak at the beginning.
    2. I'm lucky with the position on the map.
    3. I have two strong neighbours.
    3.1. Germans - strong, at the beginning and most important....very compact position.
    3.2 Gauls - strong, lots of armies, very aggresive but TOO LARGE empire and for this reason.....too many enemies.
    4. For beeing a really strong faction, I must have a great base of operations on Mediteranean Sea. This will be a point for expand my empire and will help me to take Athens, Corinth, Sparta, the most important cities in the game and also Sicilly.

What I decided.

1. Must important, to ally with Germans. Their are compact and if I get into a war with them, I will be forced to maintain all the time a strong army. This means cost and I will cannot have the posibillity to grow my cities very quick.
    2. To ally with everybody is posibly.
    3. To ally with Gauls. They will attack anyway after only few years.
    4. To take Tara.
    5. To expand Londinium quickly to next level.
    6. To strengthen my only city from the continent. This will be at the beginning very important.

The facts:

1. I started sending Cwnbar with a Light Chariot, the druids and two warbands to take Tara. My light chariots killed alone almost all troops(!!!) with their arrows.
    2. The rest of the troops I disbanded in Londinium.
    3. I set all the towns to law taxes.
    4. I send the diplomat to ally with Germans and Gauls. After that, I sent him in Italian Peninsula and to the greeks.
    5. I made another one and I sent him through Dacia, Scythia and so on.
    6. I sent the spy to expand his abilities through Gauls cities.
    7. For five turns, I create peasants in the two cities from the island and I disbanded them in Londinium.
    8. I made shrines, traders, roads and so on.
    9. Gauls attacked me with a blocade at Londinium. This was the point were I started pumping troops. In this moment I had money around 23000.
    10. I made two armies. I sent one to take Alessia and to stop only after taking Massilia. The second army, I sent to take Condate and all the cities on that side of the map. In this way, the Gauls are practically finished. Their are cut in two.
    11. I moved the capital to Alessia.

In this moment I just "arrived" to Massilia. This will be my new base operations for taking Sicilly and greek-macedonian cities.
    Second army is continuing it's campain to take Spain. Osca was taken by Julii and this is creating a little problem but I think I will manage the situation.

I'm sorry for my poor english.
    If you have comments, please, tell me!

P.S. The chariots with their arrows are awfull. Nobody can face them.

Philosophically Inclined Member CountMRVHS's Avatar

Started my first post-BI Briton campaign a few days back and I'm having a blast. I think my first Briton campaign was with 1.1, and although I won the short campaign (on M/M probably), I was EXTREMELY disappointed by the weakness of the generals' chariots. It seemed like their chariots were made of balsa wood. It didn't seem right for a barbarian warlord to be sitting back out of the action, so I can tell you I lost a ton of generals in the most pathetic melees. My very first test of the chariots was with a tiny rebel force, and when my main force got the peasants to rout, I sent in my general to mow them down. I was horrified to watch the chariots running around in the mob of peasants, flipping some peasants over but NOT KILLING ANYTHING.

Happily, this all seems to have changed. Playing H/H, I am now well into my 1.3 Britannia game, and the generals have performed admirably! They usually get the most kills in my after-battle stats (well, probably because I always make sure to send them after routers ), and I've only lost 2 generals - both to those damn German Spear Warband...after charging them in the *back* .... but I digress. The generals' chariots are very effective against almost all infantry, they hamstring cavalry, and they actually *kill* things now. Sometimes they hack down at guys with their swords, sometimes they literally just run them over with the horses. Either way it's great! I find they're best used in combination with infantry (of course): send in the infantry first and follow up with a chariot attack from the rear/flank or just plow through everything and head straight for the enemy general. Sure, you'll knock over your own guys, but they'll get back up and they won't be as horribly demoralized as the enemy.

The Heavy Chariots that you can train at the Weaponsmith are working nicely, too. They're more expendable than my generals, so I usually put them right on the flanks of my main force along with some light chariots, and send them to attack flankers. Once I get enough of them in one army, I plan to put them in front of my infantry and charge them straight into the enemy, head-on, following up with some Chosen Swordsmen and Woad Warriors (for their speed & tattoos ). The infantry should make short work of the chaotic mob of enemy infantry my chariots have just hacked through. Add some wardogs and head hurlers into the mix, with a unit of druids chanting in the background, and it's almost too easy.

My strategy so far has been to turtle up. I took Tara and built, built, built. I made alliances with Germany and Gaul, and Germany was the only one so far to outright betray me. Gaul dropped their alliance but stayed neutral -- they're being slowly ground down by Spain and the Julii. I wanted to keep my kingdom small and let the Julii get strong so they'd be something of a challenge; plus I didn't want to spend the whole game just fighting barbarians. I worked my way through Germany when they betrayed me, sacked Bordesholm, assassinated many family members and whittled down their armies. When I exterminated Mogontiacum and Trier I was pleased to find that the Germans had already built those towns up to the highest level, so I decided to stay for now. So that's where I am right now -- 7 modest provinces, over 60000 in the bank and rising, and the ability to train any & all units. Just waiting for the Julii to come knocking...

CountMRVHS

Well, I have only one thing to say about the Britannic chariots, and that is that they suck, historically. All chariots suck historically because they were not strongly made, and easily dewheeled etc. If they were made strong and powerful (like the Babylonian four-man versions) they were damnedly slow and perfectly useless for shock. Hence it is right that they are that weak. Chariots in RTW have only 1 armour, even general's chariotry, and so their multiple hitpoints are used up pretty quickly. And the thing about the unit is, once the chariots are destroyed, that's it for the riders even though they have plenty more hitpoints left to go. Historically the Britannia chariots were not meant for shock, they were meant to pepper the enemy with arrows from a distance before the riders dismounted to fight as infantry.

Simply put, the chariots of the Britons were actually taxis, to ferry the fighters to the front and away if there was danger. They were never intended to come to grips with a formed-up enemy ready for them (practically no chariot ever was). So it's perfectly reasonable that the chariots fall apart so easily when you send them into battle.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Umm... in my Briton game m/m i dont know why but the gauls never attacked me ... hell the only battles since 270bc (its 240 bc now) has been with rebels; i even have a fully stacked out army waiting for action with 10 units of warbands, 2 woad warriors, 1 druid (starter) 2 units of Warhounds , 1 light chariot and my general oh and 2 units of barbarian merc calvary and 1 slinger unit...

its been 30 years and i havent ever been to war... yet
    if your wondering about the lack of chariots i hate them... i like warbands they have lotta men plus only a little less better then swordsmen so i like to use them more then swordsmen

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast