Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The Greek Cities

Default Re: The Greek Cities

Well, the stacking thing is only used in messy attrition battles at the gate. I don't use it anywhere else... Like when I was fighting the Carthaginian starter army on Sicily I had 5 militia hoplites and 2 hoplite units packed at the gates confronting a whole bunch of Carthaginians also equally packed. But I'm starting to realise it's not working very well, because I'm taking more casualties than I usually should. So tactics will change. Historically the phalanx -was- tightly packed, that is true, with only 30cm between one man's shoulder and the next in close order, but since here the 'hoplites' we have actually merely present a wall of pikes identical to the Macedonian phalanx, there is actually plenty of space in between each man (60cm or so), enough to fit in another man, and between ranks, too, there is about enough to fit another man. So stacking phalanxes is actually quite possible. The AI at least realises it is impossible to fit so many men into such a small space. When I stacked my phalanxes up in preparation to storm the gates of Apollonia, as they marched towards the gates they gradually lost dressing, and from a square formation they became more of a haphazard forest of spears pointing in random direction marching in a circle formation by the time they reached the gate. That told me it was impossible to use that as a warwinning tactic. But 3-4 phalanxes stacked together (4 is max, I think), defending a street against an enemy advance, that is invincible. And highly effective, too. And you don't get phalangites breaking formation because they can't fit. But any more than that, you will.

Turn 14: The Scipii in Capua, together with their remaining Italian family member, try to sally out to beat me. They must be nuts, considering they are only a third of my numbers. I trash them, and storm Capua. The Scipii are destroyed. Greek army prepares to cross to complete its destruction of the Brutii. The Asia minor army gets a lift east by ship to the mountains bordering Tarsus and Cilicia.

Turn 15: Ancyra is bribed, the Greek army crosses to Italy after a ship is made available. The army in Cyrene moves to Leptis Magna, but it is no longer rebel. :-( Since it is Numidian, and I have no wish to antagonise them, I decide to move to Thapsus after dropping my diplomat off to establish diplomatic ties. The (new) army in Sicily is built up sufficiently to become an invasion force. I give it some combat experience by attacking the ex-Scipii big army. interesting point: The Roman Bodyguards have become Warlord's Cavalry. Any idea why? Anyway. Rebel army squashed, Sicily is secured. I start building a cavalry element in preparation to cross to Carthage. I also bribe Byzantium at this time, getting 3 hoplites and 1 peltast unit in the deal.

Turn 16: The Senate grand army appears on the border with Capua, and I panick a little, I admit. The Capua army retreats from the city, leaving only a samnite mercenary as garrison, and heads for Tarentum to pick up the armoured hoplites and Spartans that are in the Greek army. That done, feeling incredibly confident now, the Greek army besieges Tarentum while the Capua army heads back towards Capua.

Turn 17: More distance covered back to Capua en route to fight the Senate army (I plan to provoke it into attacking me by sitting in its red zone), while asia minor army heads for the mountain pass leading to Tarsus. Second Asia Minor army (made up of mostly ex-rebels) receives a hoplite complement from Pergamum and heads for Sinope. The Seleucids and Pontus have made alliance, so Pontus is now included in the annihilation deal I have for the Seleucids. At this time they have only EI, so mwahaha. Thessalonica finally has the plague, so I shall leave it alone for 8 turns while the Greek army takes down the Brutii and returns to take Bylazora. I'm contemplating whether I should build a new army for Thrace, or just bide my time---suggestions?

Oh, and I did a body count. Not too good-looking, i'm afraid, because hoplites are crap in siege battles and I fought mostly sieges.

I have killed:

1764 Brutii and 2 factioners
    2900 Scipii and 7 factioners
    1467 Macedonians and 2 factioners
    834 Thracians and 1 factioner
    1310 Carthaginians and 2 factioners
    760 Seleucids and 1 factioner
    2018 rebels

for a total of 9874 people.

I have lost 3259 mercenaries and Greeks in the accomplishment of my grand aims, mostly militia hoplites, and 2 factioners who died without informing me they were dead. I hate Greek general's cavalry.

Closest battle ever: Definitely the sally battle against the Carthaginians who besieged me. Look.

Attacker: Dionysios of Sparta, 1271 men
    Defender: Hanno, 1117 men (including 24 elephants...)

Clear Victory
    Dionysios of Sparta deployed 1271, kills 855, left 287
    Hanno deployed 1117, kills 1105, left 11.

It was REALLY close, because most of my 287 were recovered injured. At the end of the battle proper, I had only 19 general's cavalry, 2 peltasts, 13 hoplites, 20 militia hoplites and 100 archers left. I kid you not. If the Carthaginians hadn't broken when they did I would have lost Sicily.
    Last edited by pezhetairoi; 05-17-2005 at 01:32.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

I am about to attack Egyptions.
    Also I have attacked Armenia and after I defeat them I will go for Parthia.
    ! I am not at war with Carthaginians , STILL !

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Finally I arrived in Greece.
    I play hard/hard. Anything less is just a waste of time. Greek cities are much easier than I thought.

Strategy:
    Main theatres are Sicily and Mainland. Asia Minor is another frontier, but with less priority, so I kept defensive there.

At the very beginning you have a lot of good armies at the right location. And you can buy mercs. So I attacked at once. In Sicily I attacked the Scipii, because I could reach them at once. Once the Romans are gone I cared about the Carthagians. In mainland I took Corinth and attacked the Macedonian. Then Athens is easy to liberate.

Tactic:
    You have good phalanx units but no cav except General’s guard. Militia hoplites are cheap and you can built them everywhere. However, they are not able to stand cav charge. So I adjusted my tactic a bit. The centre of my formation is built by (professional) hoplites. They stand in 4 – 5 rows and can stand any frontal attack. On each side I have 1 – 2 militia hoplites- They stand in a square box formation. So they can stand any cav attack and change their direction very fast. I also use them for flanking. With phalanx mode turned off they are quite fast. Behind the line I have skirms and archers. The skirms concentrate on the “hot spots” or flank, too. My general’s cav is behind the line. I use it only defensive and against routing enemies.

History:
    I sent the Militia from Pergamon to the mainland and two hoplites from Sparta to Sicily. This operation costed my complete fleet but helped me a lot.

In Sicily I marched north and collected mercs (1 phalanx and 1 skirm). I attacked the romans at once. Does not make any different who attacks. I killed 1044, including both family members and lost 391. No enemy escaped and so Messana was mine after the first turn!
    The Carths attacked Syracuse. They had more troops than I had and they had elephants. My troops were devided. So I started a counterattack from Messana to Lilybaeum. I killed a small army on the way and made the big one retreat to Lily. After that I build a fort at the frontier and reinforced my troops. I had some smaller battles with Carth. You can handle their cav with a comb. of flexible militia, skirms and generals cav. If they have no cav, they are easy to kill. Some Scipii appeared near Lily and disappeared again. When I was strong enough I laid besiege on Lily. Carth landed two times small troops to free Lily, each time with 25 elephants. I attacked them with javelin cav and flaming arrows and could kill them. Now it is 260 b.c. . In two turns Lily will capitulate. Then I own all of Sicily! I killed 3,500 Carths and lost 1250 men (=2.7). Against the Romans I killed 1050 and lost 390 men (also 2,7).

On the mainland I sent my spy to Corinth and attack at once. The Spartanians are amazing. They marched to the market place and found two times as much Mac hoplites there. They just killed them like nothing. After that I kept on fighting Mac. I took Larissa in 268 and Thessa in 263. Athen was besieged and fell in 265. All of Greek mainland is mine now.
    Fighting Mac was not as difficulty as expected. Once I faced a 1,500 men army with 700 horses. I had also 1,500 men but only 49 horses. Mac attacked my right side with 100 light and 100 heavy cav. I placed my general behind the line and sent my three skirmers to the right. Skirmers weakened the enemy, general killed all that broke through. Some heavy cav. Came in tough with my militia. Then the cav tried to brake through my centre. Many died. Only problem is that cannot follow the routing enemy.
    In total I killed 3200 Macs and lost 1,700 men (= 1.9). Lost most men when I attacked towns.

Asia minor: I was attacked from Pontus. I called my family member from Rhodos and he brought all mercs he could get. Together be beat Pontus twice. I lost 380 men and killed the same number. Now I start to discipline them.

Next steps:
    Brutii attacked me and I start a punitive expedition. One army from Thermon and one from Thessa. I will wipe out the Carths on Sicily and reconquer the Greek land on Italy. I also try to get Asia Minor.

Hi , Franconicus , I see you are doing your campaign well.
    Just one interesting fact from my campaign:
    All romans didn't concuer a single town!
    Scipii didn't do it because I have crushed their main force on Sicily on the first turn , Brutii tried to help them later , sending their forces on Sicily instead of conquering Balkans.
    But I don't understand why Julii didn't conquer anything!

IliaDN,

you are right. I saw this before in my Germanian campaign. While I conquered all of Gaul the Julii only conquered Osca. They didn't even attack the Gaulish cities in the south of the Alps.

Julii are slow, even in my game... but I see your campaigns are going on better than mine in terms of casualties! I shall be more aggressive, then...

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Just played two rounds yesterday. Carths landed with 500 militia and peasants in Sicily to free Lily. They attacked my army of 1500. I killed all of them and lost none.
    Next turn the garisson sallied. I killed all including the elephants. No Sicily is mine. I have a very good experienced army in Sicily. Shall I send it to Carthage or Italy first.

My campaign against the Brutii is not so good. I killed 500 without much losses, but then they attacked one army at Appolonia and erased it completely. They will pay for it!

I will be rather happy if you check my threads in the frontroom.

Quote Originally Posted by IliaDN
    Well some things about my plan:
    1. Leave Thrace to be in Campus Getae as my protectorate ( to protect me from Skythia;
    IliaDN,

Why worry about Scythians? They are just a bunch of barbarians. We know their weakness very well. I would not mind fighting them, but they have nothing I desire.
    I now fought Carthagian elephants, Roman Hasati, Macedonian light and heavy cav. and nothing is able to scare me. Pontus seems to have a new light but fast kind of army; but I do not have much experience with them. So the only faction to be aware of is still Germania. And they are far far away.

By the way, since I play Greek faction noone wants to ally with me. What is your exp.?

Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus
    IliaDN,

Why worry about Scythians? They are just a bunch of barbarians. We know their weakness very well. I would not mind fighting them, but they have nothing I desire.
    I now fought Carthagian elephants, Roman Hasati, Macedonian light and heavy cav. and nothing is able to scare me. Pontus seems to have a new light but fast kind of army; but I do not have much experience with them. So the only faction to be aware of is still Germania. And they are far far away.

By the way, since I play Greek faction noone wants to ally with me. What is your exp.?
    1. I just don't want to wage war with steppes ... for now ;
    2. I still don't fight Carthagian faction and romans are already gone :
    3. Why is Germania a threat :
    4. I have no allies in this campaign.

1. I just don't want to wage war with steppes ... for now ;
    2. I still don't fight Carthagian faction and romans are already gone :
    3. Why is Germania a threat :
    4. I have no allies in this campaign.
    I am getting dangerously close to the horsearcher factions. I am starting to get worried. I have no allies in this campaign. I have 6 enemies so far, and counting. At least 3 out of the 4 Roman factions are out. Germania has not been scouted yet so I don't know how much of a threat they are. However, the Julii are allied with them and that surprises me.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

IliaDN,

Germania might be a problem because they have phalanx units as good as the Greek. And they have excellent cav, too.

My campaign is going very slowly. I played two thurns last night and I guess I am in the midgame now (258 bc).

I refilled my Sicilian army and landed in Africa, south of Carthage. I lost my spy trying to infiltrate Thapsus.
    I attacked and took Appolonia. My phalanxes (armoured hoplites and mercs) cleared the town and killed 1600 Brutii.
    I also had a battle in Pontus. They killed 1200 men and lost only 400. My army was not very good (2 militia hopl., 1 merc. hopl., 2 fam. members, 2 merc. archers, 2 slingers, 2 javelins). Pontus had lots of cav (3 fam. members, one of them had a guard of 100, chariots, javelin). My phalanx could not keep the line. My guard could not stand the attack of the Pontus family.
    I withdraw to Pergamon and collected as many mercs as possible. Then they attacked me and this time I won.
    How do you fight these chariots?

Besides that lots of naval battles. Slowly I get control of the sea between Greek and Asia Minor.

Next steps:
    I am going to take Thapsus and Carthage. I will ignore the Brutii outside of Italy and attack them in their hometowns. I will burn their homes and retreat. When the Scipii come to retake, I will land at their homes. But I need some atrillery first.

Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus
    How do you fight these chariots?
    When I fought Selucids I just made 2-row phalanx line and waited enemy to crush in ,ussually chariots run amok pretty soon , as for pontic chariots I think it is possible to do the same , fire arrows may be helpful too.

Default The Greek Cities

I need better phalanx there. Militia are just not good enough.

Well , that's all folks - my campaign for Greeks is over!
    Maybe it was quecker than I have expected , but it was cool anyway!
    Maybe I will be off to Dacia or Britannia.
    I ended this campaign about 240 - 250 B.C.

I used this stratagy for Carthage in Sicily but it would work for the Greeks too.

I rushed out and took Syracuse, rebuilt my army and took Messana. The Romans kept sending troops to recapture it. I built up a 1 full stack army and one nearly full. I sent the full stack to Rome and the other army to the virtualy undefended city of Capua. I took both cities and wiped out the Senate and the Scipii on the same turn

Then I went south and took the Brutii cities and made peace with the Julii untill I could rebuild my army. Then I stabbed them in the back and finished them off too.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups...

"Incompetence - When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do. "

Well , that's all folks - my campaign for Greeks is over!
    Maybe it was quecker than I have expected , but it was cool anyway!
    Maybe I will be off to Dacia or Britannia.
    I ended this campaign about 240 - 250 B.C.
    Now people(fellow spammers ), what to play next?

I`m eager to start a new campaign now.
    IliaDN has finished his TGC campaign but how about you others?

I still wanna play a pontic campaign, but if I get no support, then I`ll join you others in whatever faction you might choose.
    Last edited by Viking; 05-22-2005 at 19:37.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

I have tried Britannia and Dacia , but they didn't give me much cool impressions , for now , so , maybe , Pontus is a good idea.

IliaDN,

please tell us more about your campaign. How many towns did you take. Which ones? What was the order of your campaigns? Any good advice you can give? Any problems still unsolved?

I am still in the middle. So do not wait.

...He don't seem to be replying :-) So far I'm on Turn 26 (about 258 BC i believe) and I own 38 provinces with another 4 more in the bag in the next 2 turns. Legio Carthago has moved from Carthage into Numidia en route west to Tingi and Corduba. Legio Insulae has island-hopped from Carthage to Caralis to Palma and is about to hop over to attack Numantia. Legio Italica is facing some serious public order problems in Italy because all cities were occupied instead of exterminated, but nothing a few large temples and a heavy mailed fist can't fix. Legio Borealis, despite its name, is still on the Adriatic coast. It is on the way to take down Germania. Spear Warbands ought not to be a problem with the accompaniment of my incredible bulging treasury and the army of diplomats that is preceding it into Germania. Legio Aegyptus is, despite its name, at Tarsus in Asia Minor, getting ready to hop to Salamis to Alexandria. Legio Syriacum (is that right?) is at Sidon pacifying it, and it will head Jerusalem-Damascus-Palmyra-Hatra to destroy the Seleucids after that. Legio Graecus is one turn from Porrolissum and Dacia is surely in the bag from an inspection of their armies (what armies?). They haven't expanded past their 2 starter provinces and they are surely too damn poor to afford any more units. Legio Euxinum is advancing towards Campus Getae, steamrolling Thrace as it goes along. The Thracian fullstack was recently bribed with the inclusion of 3 family members, so their cities are now emptied, or so my spy tells me. It will initiate hostilities with Armenia following this, landing at Kotais. There are 3 grand fleets on the water now, one at Byzantium ready to dominate the Black Sea, one in the eastern Mediterranean intent on getting naval domination over Egypt, and one in the west which is very busy acting both as a transport fleet and a battering ram against Numidia and Carthage.

So far, my strategy has been to take lower Greece and Sicily at the start while expanding at a leisurely pace into the rebel provinces of Asia Minor at the start of the game. After which all resources were devoted to the destruction of the Romans while in the east I attempted to dominate Asia Minor. Bribing rebel armies was very useful here since I was able to obtain 2-3 large stacks of militia hoplite fodder with which to storm cities. As soon as I could build up an army and navy I landed in Africa in two directions--one from Sicily to Carthage, and another via Kydonia-Cyrene-Thapsus. Following which Thapsus army and the Carthage army would work in tandem to conquer the coastline of the western mediterranean. My eastern strategy has been to be defensive on the Asian frontier with the horsearcher factions while I take down Egypt which also has not expanded beyond its initial provinces, and the Seleucids. Diplomatically, if a faction is allied with my enemy I will attack that faction as well for their foolishness. Thus Pontus went down in flames 5 turns after they allied with Seleucids, and the Germans are going to get it as soon as my legion gets to them.

Naval domination is not necessary in the early game, but now that I have the capability I am indulging in a naval programme just for the heck of it. It's very gratifying to wipe navies off the face off the earth by surrounding them completely.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

So my campaign was almost the asian one,
    after I conquered Italy and Balkans I was mostly busy in Asia :
    it all began when I defeated Pontus and owned Asia Minor - I was at war with Selucids in Asia , when I saw armenian army marching through my lands , I bribed it and sent my army with bribed armenian F.M. to conquer Armenia , then I attacked Egypt , and then , having Armenia and Selucids defeated I attacked Parthia.
    Maybe it is a bit funny - having no strong cav. I fought cav. factions.
    I ended game with 50 provinces.

I think I shall end the game with 50 provinces too. Itching to go back and play Germania again :-D I've refined my tactics and I think it'll be fun. Unless someone calls me along to play Dacia or some other assorted thingie, Germania it'll be.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

What about Pontus?

Looks like you did a great job. I am much slower than you are. It is 259 now. Still waiting for Carthage to give up.

I opend a threat in the Colloseum about changing the rules to get higher difficulites. Maybe you can post your ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by pezhetairoi
    So far I'm on Turn 26 (about 258 BC i believe) and I own 38 provinces with another 4 more in the bag in the next 2 turns.
    How the heck did you do that?

It's very gratifying to wipe navies off the face off the earth by surrounding them completely.
    Ah yes, that`s a great thing to do!

What about Pontus?
    He seem to have forgot!

I`ve just started my pontic campaign, and it`s going really slow so there`s nothing to post about yet.
    Last edited by Viking; 05-24-2005 at 19:33.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Oh no I haven't forgotten pontus, they were allied with the Seleucids so I 'wiped them out' in 5 turns. I say it in inverted commas because they actually still have Kotais, miraculously, but I've been recently too lazy on the Pontic front to attack them, not to mention Legio Pontus got renamed Legio Aegyptus. When the attack comes, it'll be from a totally different direction--My Thracian army will cross the Black Sea to get them while my 'minor' 10-unit Sinope army will advance up the coast. Pontus is gone, full-stack or no full-stack. And Armenia will be next.

Oh as to how I managed to get 38 provinces in turn 26... simple! I was strongest faction by turn 6, and now 8 full-stacks and 2 half-stacks loitering around the map. Every turn takes me about 2 hours to go through because I have to fight 3 battles each time, give or take one. So far I've fought 43 battles, of which only about 5 were field battles (oh shame, my hoplites do so much better in the field), the rest were assaults. Unlike Craterus, I don't like waiting out sieges :-D

Next turn, Jerusalem, Palma, Porrolissum, Patavium, Salamis will all be stormed, and the turn after that, Segesta, Campus Getae. It'll be a very busy Turn 28.

The current status quo: Carthage is reduced to Palma and Corduba, Pontus is reduced to Kotais, Seleucids are reduced to Hatra and Damascus and they're next after I pacify Jerusalem (I'll probably just exterminate it, it has a hardcoded 30% public order deficit anyhow), Egypt will be reduced after Jerusalem falls to its three Nile provinces, Numidia will probably never recover after I bribed its grand army, Thrace will be destroyed next turn, Dacia will be reduced to Campus Iazyges, Armenia and Parthia? Let them fight it out with one another. Claw each other to death before I come in with my own all-cavalry army now under construction in Antioch. The Julii will be destroyed next turn, The Gauls are going to be bribed into nothingness, the Germans are also usually quite amenable to bribes from my diplomatic army. Scythia will not be attacked for now, but I'm going to build a small all-cav army just in case, and grab a bunch of Scythian mercs to relive old times :). By the end of turn 28 I will have 44 provinces. Then, just 5-6 more! I can get the campaign done by Turn 32 latest, I estimate.

I'm going German next...

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

I have forgotten : I made Thrace my protectorate , leaving it in Campus Geatae.
    Also I admit I could finish my campaign earlier , but I was too lazy to attack Carphage , thou they had no real defence on Sicily.

It is 252 and I have only 14 counties
    I am a looser, man. I just took Carthage and Helia last night. Carthage was the first stone wall town I attacked.

Pez, being so fast, do you ever get more advanced troops?

Well, I have armoureds in every army... only that none of my cities have yet had the chance to get Spartans, even though I modded it so it didn't need the spartan hidden resource... right now my Spartans are down to 110 men and they're silver-chevroned now :-D pretty cool stuff, i'd say. Franc? Where's Helia? And...what happened to the Greek cities? Isn't Athens supposed to be stone-walled too? Don't tell me you didn't attack that... Well, I was fast because I katanked :-D That notebook of mine really helps. It helps me keep track of which cities I've developed, which cities need more building, etc etc, so my armies go with my empire building. Cool no? I upgrade my cities whenever I can, but I always ensure (and the cashflow helps a lot at this point in time) that when I upgrade them, all their available buildings have been constructed before upgrading. I will not pursue the same strategy with Germania, though. Probably will sit tight in Italia a little while to build three field armies for my strategy. I will start Germania tonight. It's been such a long time...

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Well, I have armoureds in every army... only that none of my cities have yet had the chance to get Spartans, even though I modded it so it didn't need the spartan hidden resource... right now my Spartans are down to 110 men and they're silver-chevroned now :-D pretty cool stuff, i'd say. Franc? Where's Helia? And...what happened to the Greek cities? Isn't Athens supposed to be stone-walled too? Don't tell me you didn't attack that... Well, I was fast because I katanked :-D That notebook of mine really helps. It helps me keep track of which cities I've developed, which cities need more building, etc etc, so my armies go with my empire building. Cool no? I upgrade my cities whenever I can, but I always ensure (and the cashflow helps a lot at this point in time) that when I upgrade them, all their available buildings have been constructed before upgrading. I will not pursue the same strategy with Germania, though. Probably will sit tight in Italia a little while to build three field armies for my strategy. I will start Germania tonight. It's been such a long time...
    I have to admit that I did not attack Athens. I just laid siege on it and waited. So I got it without a fight. But it takes time!

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast