Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dacia

Default Re: Poor Dacians

Yes, they are the only landlocked faction at the start of the game. This means they miss out on naval trade. Also, being a barbarian faction, they have poor economy by default. The best way to get rich with Dacia is to conquer, as mentioned before.

I would never be able to do Dacia. Me,barbs,no money dont mix.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

I'm not a fan of rushing either. I like to sit back and build up armies and then go for a big push against my enemies. With barb factions, you have to attack with anything and everything you've got, just to stay out of debt.

Head straight for Campus Getae is a nice strategy, while my lecturer (who also plays RTW, small world) prefers rushing Macedonia. Nice.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Default Re: Dacia

Maybe I will play Dacia after my current campaign.

Hey Ilia... update! How's your greek campaign going?

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IliaDN
    Maybe I will play Dacia after my current campaign.
    IliaDN, lets leave this area. Why not playing Britannia? They seem to be completely different!

I`m looking for company to my next campaign, and both Britannia and Dacia sounds interesting.

Dacians got all you might want of artillery, and got some good infantry.
    But the britons lack completely cavalry, even the generals are cavalry, and I`m a cavalry commander..

But I`m looking for some challenge in my next campaign, so I`ll wait and see.

By the way, nobody thinking of starting an Pontus campaign?
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

pontus is...strange. O_o Maybe I'll try Dacia too, never mind Spain :-P I'll accompany Viking after Greece...

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

So is it some kind of poll:
    Brittania
    Dacia
    Pontus?????

Yes, why not start a poll?

Why not playing Britannia without the permission to invade Gaul. In hard/hard this should be a chellange!

Maybe it would be a better idea to take it to the collesum?

You can start a poll in the site, linking from my sig. Please start it in Meeting Hall. Or I can start it if you want?

Default how do i unlock ALL factions?

how do i unlock all these factions?i have no clue please tell me,you can e mail me htg04@yahoo.com or send me a message .please im tired of only being certian factions.thanks!
    VAE VICTUS-PaNtOcRaToR
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomi says
    Honour is that which preserves the dignity of the human spirit.
    It’s how you treat people, that makes you an honourable person.
    Not how many battles you win.
    The glory of your victories will soon be forgotten.
    But the kindness and respect you show for others, will not.
    So is there really any honour in Total War games?
    No.
    But there is in some of it’s players…

Default Re: how do i unlock ALL factions?

Quote Originally Posted by VAE VICTUS
    how do i unlock all these factions?i have no clue please tell me,you can e mail me htg04@yahoo.com or send me a message .please im tired of only being certian factions.thanks!
    Unlock All Factions – In RTW, some factions are playable, some are unlockable and some are unplayable. This is how you unlock and play all the factions (thx to littlecheese07 of TWC for this idea).
    This is from Quietus Guide:
    Go to your folder, RTW>world>maps>campaign>imperial_campaign>desc_strat.txt. Simply move all the factions under the “nonplayable” and "unlockable" that you want play to under “playable”. Thus, in this list, Egypt to Greek_cities are unlockable, Roman_senate to Slave are nonplayable (it is advisable from other players NOT to touch or play the “roman _senate”) and Romans_Julii to Romans_scipii are playable. After you’ve arranged the text files, do not forget to SAVE. You may now play the new factions when you load RTW.

campaign imperial_campaign
    playable
    romans_julii
    romans_brutii
    romans_scipii
    end
    unlockable
    egypt
    seleucid
    carthage
    parthia
    gauls
    germans
    britons
    greek_cities
    end
    nonplayable
    romans_senate
    macedon
    pontus
    armenia
    dacia
    scythia
    spain
    thrace
    numidia
    slave
    end

Good Luck!

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VAE VICTUS
    Franconicus is right about the unlocking faction part. I recommend against hitting the Senate tab while playing Senate as it crashes the game. Also, playing rebels is occasionally glitchy.

Another friendly piece of advice is please do not post your email for spambots to crawl. It will lead to abundant spam. At least do something like htg04[at]yahoo.com which is very readable by humans but not by crawlers.

Question Re: Dacia

I've had a fun game with my ancestors even took Rome after 100 turns them praetorians are tough but it was very rewarding to crush the senate and the brutii, the scipii and julii are holding out on the islands to the west .How to do that easy take the balkans as quicly as posiible ally with scythia and germany.
    i can help you with some questions ,mentioned previously in this thread
    Why the dacians have balistas?because they have been in contact with the greeks and romans for quite some time and are more "civilized" then most other barbarians.
    As for the cavalry most of the dacian cavalry were actually allied cavalry roxolan,carpian,yazighian,iashian cavalrymen sarmatians at origin but quickly assimilated into the dacians.

I have NEVER heard of Roxolans, Yazighian etc, but I'll take your word for it, since your ancestors were Dacians :-D I've only ever heard of Pannonians.

Perhaps we should give improved Sarmatian cavalry to the Dacians as buildable units in a mod. That'd give them a unit to match the Germanic Gothics. Otherwise Dacia is quite limited.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

I just started my Dacian campiagn. I was being stupid and didn't think to check here about stratagies and so forth sooo....

I took what troops I had an went and attacked Tylis. Their faction leader was off trying to take some city I forget which one, maybe Thessolonica. So I take the city, their main army comes back and passes by my army in Tylis. They wander around for a few turns while I rebuild my army in Tylis and begin building a new one in my main cities. I take my army from tylis and destroy the Thracian army and send a small army to take their last city. Thrace died very quickly. Now that I have some income, I plan to expand south and west. I know it will be tough in the south, but the cities will be of infinite help.
    Last edited by bubbanator; 07-27-2005 at 21:07.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups...

"Incompetence - When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do. "

I would have preferred Campus Getae: it's a shorter distance from Porrolissum, and less heavily defended. You need sea access fast. Getae also has quite a decent growth rate, so you may want to consider. It shouldn't be tough in the south as long as your infantry refrains from face-to-face contact with the phalanx. I used to join my infantry in two-unit teams as the Germans (whose axemen are identical to falxmen in some sense). Firstly I separate the phalanx by staying close to them and trying to get into their rear, then the two-unit teams come into play. I strike one unit in the flank with one axeman unit, then when the phalanx turns in disorder to point spears at that axeman unit I charge the second unit into their rear, then retreat the first unit, then repeat until they break. Then I move on the other one unit next to it. Meanwhile the same is happening all throughout the other unit teams, and my cavalry are also doing their share. It works quite well, I think. Not much of a struggle as long as your infantry stays close to the phalanx (so they stay in phalanx mode and can only walk while you run) but not close to contact them unless you are ready to.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Patria Nostra Romania Member Gemenii XIII's Avatar
    Colonia Ulpia Traiana Augusta Dacica Sarmisegetusa

Originally posted by Dromikaites
    the Romanians chose to fight: difficult terrain, where the technical (heavily armoured Polish or Hungarian knights) or numerical superiority (Turks and Tartars) were negated. Now, back to their ancestors, the Dacians

The ancestors of the Romanians were Romans not Dacians, and trust me, all my fellow Romanians say that Romanians are half Dacian half Roman. But how can this be true when Romanians speak a latin based language and has no Dacian elements whatsoever. (lets not forget what happened to the native Indians in North America)

Last edited by Gemenii XIII; 08-13-2005 at 01:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemenii XIII
    Originally posted by Dromikaites
    the Romanians chose to fight: difficult terrain, where the technical (heavily armoured Polish or Hungarian knights) or numerical superiority (Turks and Tartars) were negated. Now, back to their ancestors, the Dacians

The ancestors of the Romanians were Romans not Dacians, and trust me, all my fellow Romanians say that Romanians are half Dacian half Roman. But how can this be true when Romanians speak a latin based language and has no Dacian elements whatsoever. (lets not forget what happened to the native Indians in North America)

Alright, I've started on a Dacian campaign and I have some insights to offer. Firstly, going for Getae is basically a waste of time since your main army is closer to Tylis. Don't even waste time trying to attack Lovosice and Aquincum. They're so undeveloped and so low in population that they simply aren't worth the effort. Secondly, the Thracians start spamming peltastai quickly, and are soon coming up with falxmen in Getae, so your best bet would be to strike hard and fast for Tylis. In my campaign I only took Tylis after 10 turns OF manoeuvre to draw all Thracian forces into the north, around Campus Getae, and even after taking Tylis my debt didn't improve. Yes, that's one thing you'll note--the Dacian debt is the most annoying thing you'll have to deal with early-game. You can't exterminate, because then the tax rate would fall crazily for a one-off injection of cash, and you can't retrain even then, because you'll be in debt. It all boils down to casualty minimising, which is difficult. Eventually I managed to lock the sum of the Thracian army in Campus Getae (idiots) and besieged them until they gave up and sallied, upon which I shot them to pieces with my archers.

As Dacia you will not get any rest from Macedon once you take Thrace. In my game, the moment I took Campus Getae a large Macedonian army marched for Porrolissum, and was only drawn away from there by my storming of Bylazora. In my campaign, the Macedonians went a little crazy on light lancers, I'm afraid. You know something's wrong when the MAcedonians behave like the Scythians and send a 12-unit army with 11 of lancers. Well anyway. I drove straight for Thessalonica after retraining my depleted grand army (still the only I had, with my western frontier under threat from Macedon, who had Segestica, my northern one threatened by Germania, who had Lovosice, and my eastern frontier threatened by Scythia, which was building up menacingly.

I turned my faction heir into a military genius in the Thessalonian plains when he came under attack from two great Macedonian armies (all of which had 11-12 lancers) which he managed to beat off with combined operations from flaming arrows, massed family-member charges (I had 7 family members with me, the sum of my royalty) and falxmen in flanks. Nevertheless, I sustained seriously heavy losses. If I recall, in those three battles I lost nearly a quarter of my army (including 2 factioners), mostly in barbarian cavalry and gaesatae, in exchange for utter victory and 2 Macedonian family members killed, which is all in all not too bad a deal. Then I played a Napoleonic style campaign that drove apart three Macedonian armies (yes, it was frantic) trying to merge, crushed the faction heir's force, and attacked the largest element after that just outside Thessalonica, drawing out the garrison and emptying the town in my victory. Thessalonica was plague-ridden so I just sent two gaesatae in.

In summary of the rest of the campaign, I fought two more great battle which later emptied Larissa and Athens for my taking, signed an alliance with the Brutii, and took Segestica which turned rebel after my capture of Thessalonica. I also took Aquincum, having earned enough money to raise a new army exclusively of nobles, falxes and chosen swordsmen and archers. I'm poised for a two-pronged attack of the Romans after I finish off Macedon in Corinth.

I think Dacia has been the most challenging campaign I have faced so far. Even when I was playing Armenia and faced my first defeat, I do not think the situation was ever as desperate as mine... One grand army of mediocre troops facing three large armies of the deadliest light cavalry ingame, saddled with monstrous 5-digit debt... At least my Armenian economy never let me down.

What paths of expansion have you Dacians tried out? Any variation from mine?

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

my experiences with dacia is to immediately defeat thrace, macedonia and the brutii. its a lot of hard work, so always take control of battles yourself. like pezhetairoi said, its all about casualty minising.

my plan was to take greece, establish a nice base in greece, and launch my plans from there. starting where u started isnt good at all. a good plan (that i have found) is when you are about to be attacked by the germans or scythians from the north, porrolisium and campus gaetae are definitely theirs - concentrate on getting greece. destroy all buildings, and move troops out of towns...the money will do you good.

one thing i also found about playing greece - the plague can be annoying, when it started from Thessalonica. if you control Thessalonica, dont let nething out. if you dont, dont send ne spies to infiltrate it YET. all of greece was under the plague - one thing that dacians lack at the beginning is population, along with money. this deadly plague delayed me from taking all of greece, so i had to duel with the brutii a bit.

so once you have greece in your hands, its pretty easy from there. nobles, chosens, onagers kick ass!
    TIME IS A DOUBLE EDGED SWORD...

Abuse it, and it will work against you...
    Use it wisely, and you will be eternally
    and everlastingly rewarded and blessed

battle wise, ive found in the beginning that a mixture of cavalry + archers are effective, particularly against the greek factions. they have slow hoplites which u can shoot to bits from long range, and mass ur cavalry to drive away their missle troops.

against rome, however, its gonna be a lot harder. yr cavalry r gonna work a lot harder. all this is pre-chosen, pre-nobles. once u got chosens and nobles, then it becomes a lot easier. A LOT EASIER. especially with onagers and ballistae, u can afford to sit back and rain expendable projectiles rather than being all barbaric and charging in with nothing to fall back 2.

if only they had horse archers...damn...

thats my 2 cents...
    TIME IS A DOUBLE EDGED SWORD...

Abuse it, and it will work against you...
    Use it wisely, and you will be eternally
    and everlastingly rewarded and blessed

My Dacian Campaign fell flat at the first hurdle.

I drove all available units south to the nearest Mac city. The first major engagement was going really well. Was. My units, despite having an advantage started routing. First 1, then 3, then, well the rest really. The Mac army was suddenly like a hot knife through butter.

I even heard myself say "butter" in realisation at the scene infront of me!

I couldnt recover after that (no wonga) so quit. I fully intend to start a Dacian campaign again soon though after review of some of the comments here. The challenging start position is too appealling...

Quote Originally Posted by katank
    Franconicus is right about the unlocking faction part. I recommend against hitting the Senate tab while playing Senate as it crashes the game. Also, playing rebels is occasionally glitchy.

Another friendly piece of advice is please do not post your email for spambots to crawl. It will lead to abundant spam. At least do something like htg04[at]yahoo.com which is very readable by humans but not by crawlers.
    The reason the Senate Tab crashes the game is your graphics card... It is probably only 32 Mb of memory. I too, had this problem until I updated to a 64 Mb graphics card...

Ally immediately with Scythia and attack Tharce...conquer Tyras and Campus Getae....after that break the alliance with Scythia and declar war to them...attack them and conquer the norther provinces...so my advice is to go and conquer in the north (Dulcius Domus) and then march in the west ocuppy Iovosice and Aquicum....about now you will starting to have a nice income...start training many troops in the capital (Porolissum) and wait for the Macedonian attack...after they will attack you ,immeditaley start an counterattack and try to ocuppy Bylazora....step by step (city by city) you will conquer macedonian cities (very important to conquer Byzantium,from there you will easly lauch an invasion into Pontus)...and greeks too....BUT i won't advance in the Pelopones too !! build a fort at the entrance in the peninsula..you will be protected by the greek invasions....hold this position until the romans (usually brutti) will be present there and attack greece...after the greeks will be weaken by the wars with the brutii....try to profit and take theier cities....then romans will aslo be weaken and push them back from Greek peninsula !!

this is my most frequent dacian strategy
    Last edited by Coldfish; 04-14-2006 at 19:08.

Now some basic military strategies about dacians

Against Scythians use: foot archers and light cavalry

Against Greek and Macedonian phalanxes use: many archers & missile units as well as some heavy cavalry...with this, with some smart flanking moves you can destroy easly the phalanx units

Against Romans use: heavy melee troops (well trained falxmen and choosen swordsmen) you can't lose! an well trained falxmen or choosen swordsmen are no match for the legionaries and even could bravely resist to praetorians and urban cohorts!

Against other Barbarians use: combined ,well balanced units
    Last edited by Coldfish; 04-14-2006 at 19:29.

Sardonic Antipodean Member Trithemius's Avatar

I've been helping a friend learn more about RTW by playing some MP battles with him and committing serious errors for him to recognise and exploit (I think it's more useful in learning than for me to kick him around repeatedly until he decides that RTW is boring!). I played Dacia vs. Germania and found that I didn't have to try very hard to make mistakes! I then did some tests on my own with falxmen vs. spear warbands and I could not make them win unless the odds were about 5:3 in my favour (and even then with pretty impressive casualties). The spear-warband is (predictably) very strong to the front (even Chosen Swords don't do too well) and they are large enough that it is hard to flank a line of them with an equally sized army - so what do the poor Dacians do in order to beat the Germans? I need some help for my counter-example and I am just lost! :)
    Trithemius
    "Power performs the Miracle." - Johannes Trithemius

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast