Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: frogbeastegg's Guide to Rome: Total War and the Barbarian Invasion

Default Re: A Beginner's Guide to Rome: Total War

When you start RTW up go to 'options' in the main menu, then 'video settings'. Check the box labelled 'advanced options' and a lot of extra options will appear. There is a drop down menu labelled something like 'unit size', click on the arrow and select a larger unit size from that menu. On the largest setting some units have as many as 240 men in them.

Note: The new unit size will take immediate effect in custom battles and new campaigns, but any existing campaigns you have going will keep the smaller unit size. Having more men in each unit also demands a lot more from your PC, so you may find it gets very jerky.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Note: The new unit size will take immediate effect in custom battles and new campaigns, but any existing campaigns you have going will keep the smaller unit size. Having more men in each unit also demands a lot more from your PC, so you may find it gets very jerky.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the advice -
    re - is this a presentational change then rather than the ability to build more units and merge them - i.e. will cav units costs the same but I will get 100+ for my money - or will I have to build 4/5 units and then merge them?

You still build just the one unit, but now instead of having 80 men it will have 160 (or whatever the numbers are; it varies a lot). The costs are the same ... I think; certainly in custom and MP modes they are. The larger units DO draw more population from your cities when they are recruited; this makes it harder to grow your cities and you must think carefully about what you recruit. If you swapped from default to the largest size each unit will take apporximately twice as many men from your cities on recruitment. This makes it very easy to depopulate your cities in short order.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

cheers for the advice

Lee

started to play the quick battles -
    is there a progression to these - or are they generated randomly - I would say it is the former as I have gone away and come back and am stillon the same one

which incidently I could do with some help with

have loads of horse archers - with a bit of heavy cav + minimal ground troops (2 spearmen 2 archers)

cannot seem to beat phalanx / heavy cav opposition - mainly because they have elephants that I cannot destroy

please help

Minimus, I would suggest that you ask your question in the Entrance Hall forum, in your own thread. This thread should ideally only contain questions or comments directly relating to frogbeasteggs excellent guide. You will likely get more response if you ask your questions to a bigger audience, such as the people who visit the Entrance Hall.

I haven't played the quick battles in RTW. If they are like the quick battles in MTW they are randomly chosen from a pool of predefined battles. In MTW the random choosing thing was broken so the same battle always appeared first.

I can give a few general tips for the battles you are having trouble with but nothing definite. The foot archers can use fire arrows; this kind of arrow is more likely to frighten elephants and make them run amok.

Horse archers are good against phalanx type troops if you keep them mobile and safely out of melee range. You can bypass the shield defensive bonus by running your HAs around to the sides and rear of a phalanx. This allows you to kill more men per volley. You should try to lure a few units at a time away from the rest of the aermy, shoot them up until they are weakened, then mob them with your heavy cavalry to quickly and efficiently destroy them.

You should only engage in melee on your own terms with a mobile army like this. Never let the enemy decide when you enter the melee.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulstan
    Very nice!

"Their Gods are Bacchus (large bonuses to happiness), Juno (small bonus to happiness, increased population growth) and Jupiter (small bonus to happiness, small bonus to law)."

Should not Juno be Ceres? Maybe Juno is the name of Ceres or something, but the temples in game (or at least, the American version I have) are called Ceres. If your version says Juno then nvm :)

"Green is good; green is where you want all your cities. Yellow means there is a chance the citizens will riot, red means they are going to storm your posh mansion, trample the flower beds and do unspeakable things to your pet kittiekat"

Actually I think yellow never riots. I have many yellow faced citizens living peacably in my lands. Blue is riots I Think, and red outright revolts.

Hi, yellow is that the ppl are satisfied and that their pretty happy
    Green is that their feeling incredibly happy, but aslong as you keep your population in yellow everything is gonna b allright

I have another diplomacy cheat for you: When playing a Roman faction, post diplomats to pester your allies for cash to attack factions. Each time you are about to attack a rebel army, ask the other Romans for huge payments. I have gotten 6000 from each ally, with no upper limit in sight yet, just to trounce a mangy little band of rebels.

Hi.
    I think you did a very good job and I ask for your permission to translate it in french for a french forum (i'm french :D)
    I give you the link if you want : www.lavigie.org
    Thanks.
    Eldritch

V quickly; the org has been plagued by tech problems maknig it incredibly hard for me to actually get to the forums, and the forum usually breaks within minutes of my arrival. Minutes is if I am lucky; seconds is if I am not.

Yes, feel free to translate to French as long you you keep the credits intact and all those other logical things. I'm going to do a big update when 1.2 finally arrives, so you may be better waiting until then.

Callensius, Jim Boyd, thanks.

Just Another Cretin, eh? Member L`zard's Avatar

I don't know about you peeps, but don't ya just wish Lady FrogBeastEgg lived next door?

FinestKind, Milady, waiting for the pdf ver........

May you never die! (hoping that you'll be around to do the guide for the expansion, lol)
    Last edited by L`zard; 01-29-2005 at 16:35.
    I have the heart of a little child, and the brain of a genius; I keep them in a jar under my bed.

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg

Remember how you used to set your army up in a nice, pretty formation, then select them all with ctrl+a then hold alt and click to move them, and they kept that nice, pretty formation and facing? Well, not any more. Tragically the ‘move but retain facing’ command is gone and there is no substitute.
    The 1.2 Patch has brought it back! Alt-Right-Click works again, just as it used to in the previous TW games - and I`m very happy to see it restored (especially as it wasn`t even mentioned in the Patch readme)

It`s especially useful if you`ve drawn up parallel to the enemy line but not quite close enough. You can now pick individual units (or the line) and Alt-Right-Click to move them forward into Pilum range say, without them ending up at odd angles if you click slightly off centre. That will prove to be very useful. You can also move directly backwards without losing facing. The men will turn round, march to the new position and turn to face the front again. Pity we don`t have a "withdraw while facing forwards all the time" command - but this is close enough, especially if you move a little at a time...
    Last edited by Calmarac; 02-04-2005 at 17:32.

Now the Patch is out have any date for an update?
    In peace sons bury their fathers in war fathers bury their sons.

Thank you, L`zard. I will consider the PDF when the 1.2 version of the guide is posted, unless CA announce they are working on a 1.3 patch.

Cloudnine, you lived up to your name - thank you! I had not even thought about trying the old alt+move command to see if it had been reinstated in 1.2. Wohoo! I'm one very happy frog.

Lord Hornburg, well not really. Say ... a couple of weeks to really get to grips with how 1.2 plays and what has been changed, maybe a week to write new sections and make the required changes to this version ... so around three weeks to a month, maybe. It also depends how much time I have.

agitated Member master of the puppets's Avatar
    where destruction lay around me from a fight i could not win

well i beat the campaign befor i found this but i wish we had more imformed individuals such as you froggy

only shame is that now you have to write a even longer 2.1 version speciying the changes HAHAHAHA

that is of course if i have the athority to say such to such an astudius moderator
    Last edited by master of the puppets; 02-05-2005 at 17:44.
    A nation of sheep will beget a a government of wolves. Edward R. Murrow

Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness. —1 John 2:9

I hadn't realised that Frogbeast was so well known for her guide, I hadn't even known you were a lady, I suppose I should have caught on with the 'frog in her pad' thing, talk about ruining my the mental image I had of you.

And the point of this post is for me to ask a quick question, are you planning to do another unit guide?, there seems to be a distinct lack of them around (that is ones that do more than just copy/paste the game description), and the last one you did for MTW I found very valuable, it gave me some new pointers I hadn't considered before hand and some new information I hadn't known.

Oh and not to be presumptuous, I'm assuming these guides are a labour of love on your part, but if its so time consuming as I imagine it would be you should probably get some help writing them up. Not offering my own of course, I'm an insensitive jerk who shies from such things on the internet, but one does feel symapthetic to the amount of effort you must put into these things.

Partly why I felt the need to express my appreciation for the work you have done before at the same time as asking when/if you would be completing more

Tribune of the Plebeians Member Guildenstern's Avatar

Many thanks for this marvellous guide from a real beginner. I've a problem veterans like you can surely solve. I'd like to practise a bit by doing the Prologue campaign but unfortunately I can't save my progress, so every time I have to start all over again. At a certain point advisor Victoria says one cannot save the Prologue until 10 turns have elapsed, but I played for more than 20 turns and the Save option remained disabled. I always
    accomplish the two main objectives of the tutorial campaign (defeating the rebel army of Gauls and conquering the settlement of Tarquinii) and construct all the buildings following Victoria's advice, but this seems not to be enough to unlock the Save feature. Shortly after Victoria tells me I've learned the basics of the game and gives me the option of quitting or continuing to play
    (the Senate give me the mission to capture another settlement, whose name I don't remember) but I can't save the game yet. Maybe I always fail to do some vital actions...
    Before leaving the Prologue definitively, I'd like to know if the Save option can be enabled somehow or it is permanently off during the tutorial campaign.
    My last question: I've played version 1.0 so far; can I apply patch 1.2 directly or must I fix the game with patch 1.1 first?

Thank you very much for paying attention to the marginal uncertainties of this bewildered newbie.
    Omnia enim plerumque quae absunt vehementius hominum mentes perturbant.
    For generally all evils which are distant most powerfully alarm men's minds.
    Gaius Julius Caesar

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    John Lennon

Sorry, yet more delays and general froggy tardiness in relation to this topic. I'm having a lot of problems with my firewall and this site; I thought they were fixed but life fools us like that.

Unit guide: not sure. Yes, these guides are labours of love and take probably 100 hours or more just for the initial draft, playing, writing, researching, reading, formatting, checking, screenshot grabbing and editing, and probably more. I don't know if I will have the willpower left to do another RTW guide after the 1.2 update of this guide; the more I work on a game in this kind of detail the more I begin to get sick to death of it. This RTW guide was much more intensive and time consuming to produce than the MTW ones, much more.

Saving: I have only played the prologue once, and I didn't try to save at all. I had no problems at all saving in the main campaign, and moved over to play that as soon as I could. You could try starting an imperial campaign with some random faction and then immediately opening up the options menu to see if you can save or not. If you really want to play the tutorial some more and save your game you could also try hitting ctrl+s on the campaign map screen; this should produce a quick save. Be aware you can only have one quick save at a time; any new save done this way will replace the old one. I don't think that feature was disabled in the prologue. There may also be some autosaves from the tutorial; normally the game saves at the beginning of every turn. Again, I have no idea if that is disabled in the tutorial or not.

Patch: It should be fine to apply 1.2 straight onto 1.0 without bothering with 1.1

Tribune of the Plebeians Member Guildenstern's Avatar

Thank you for your suggestions about patch application and saving options.
    All three of them (normal save from the options menu, end-of-turn autosave
    and quick save) work correctly in the imperial campaign. On the other hand,
    they all seem to be disabled in the tutorial: options menu save can't be clicked on, no tutorial-related autosaves appear on the saved games list, and
    hitting ctrl+s on the campaign map screen always produces a 'save failed' warning. All things considered, and to put an end to this question of minor interest, we can conclude that the prologue cannot be saved.

I will now move over to play the imperial campaign to enjoy this great game and see if I can put into practice what I've learned from your excellent work.
    Your guide proved to be an essential tool that allowed a Total War games beginner like me to understand the mechanisms and dynamics of the game (at least I hope I did!).
    I think the key feature of the guide is clarity, that is its (your) ability to provide the inexperienced reader with the basic detailed instructions to tackle practically every situation, even the most complicated ones. None of the guides or faqs for RTW I ran up against before yours manage to do that.
    You produced a really exhaustive work, with no remarkable obscure points and useful at a glance. Most importantly in my opinion, it's being sincerely appreciated by lots of gamers, newbies and vets, expressing their gratitude to you in this forum every single day. Well then, in the long hours of intensive work while you're refining and updating this admirable labour of love, think about that, feel proud of yourself and... hold on!
    Omnia enim plerumque quae absunt vehementius hominum mentes perturbant.
    For generally all evils which are distant most powerfully alarm men's minds.
    Gaius Julius Caesar

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    John Lennon

Matcham Valley,Central Coast,New South Wales,Australia. A semi Rural Community,with lots of Beaches,Waterways and Horse Trails.Only five minutes from major shopping,theatres and Services.

I can't tell you ,how much I am enjoying your guide. I bought my copy of RTW in Thailand,all nicely boxed. When I got Home,NO MANUAL. Duh!

So,I have been feeling my way through the Campaign. Sorry you couldn't help me with the Cival War,which is fast approaching.

Beautiful Website,Congratulations.

Research Fiend Technical Administrator Tetris Champion, Summer Games Champion, Snakeman Champion, Ms Pacman Champion therother's Avatar

I don't know if I will have the willpower left to do another RTW guide after the 1.2 update of this guide; the more I work on a game in this kind of detail the more I begin to get sick to death of it.
    I can certainly sympathise with that. Just give us a yell if there is anything we over at the Ludus Magna can do to help you out.
    Nullius addictus iurare in uerba magistri -- Quintus Horatius Flaccus

History is a pack of lies about events that never happened told by people who weren't there -- George Santayana

I'll make a note about the lack of saving during the prologue and try to remember to include something about it in the next update. My to-do list is pages long, and even with things written down I think there will be bits I will forget. There's simply too much.

It is always good to hear when the guide has proven useful; it's the closest thing to pay I get

The civil war ... well, much will depend upon your situation as the war begins, what cities you own, what armies you have and where, that kind of thing. I would recommend a series of quick strikes against Rome and the other two faction's core cities in Italy as soon as is feasible; this should weaken them significantly and give you a boosted power base of strong, upgraded Roman cities to work from. I have found the AI to be very easy to cripple if you can take its core cities; it will continue to send armies against you but they will be low tech and easy to defeat. Perhaps too easy; it very quickly gets boring stomping on pathetic armies.

therother, thank you. There are times when this guide is too much for my slender shoulders to bear, and slowly being crushed does nothing for my already quite often tetchy temperament. I'm sure I had lots I wanted to look into, but now my mind is so filled with things I have to do with this guide I can't even remember what they were. I've a written list; it's so long I can't find anything any more. If I ever remember what they were I'll let you know. I’m sure one of them was about combat factors and what has survived from the old games …

Just wanted to say very nice guide, picked up alot of very useful info in this thread and from the guide.

One thing I noted while messing with the controls was I accidently used ctrl+r mouse click in the middle of my cavalry and the formation had them all facing outward in a circle. After playing with the ctrl key some more I still couldnt figure out its complete function but it does make some formations form up very oddly, wether this is a bug or something I missed here, I am not sure.

This game sure is odd tho and I still cant figure out how the CPU has soldiers that basically sit around all their turns yet when spy them out alot are silver ranked or at least 3 ranks. I seem to only get experience when my unit takes heavy losses. My generals seem to gain ranks good tho. Started a long campaign and so far doing decent with barely green troops versus more experienced enemy, I love my onagers, even tho they miss alot they can wreck some havoc when they hit. I usually try to have 2 for every attacking army and thus I never bother building siege equipment, I take down the gatehouse and door, and if ammo permits maybe another hole in a wall, but this is hard to do against good walls sometimes.

The casualty/healing rate is kinda whacky too, I used my javelin cavalry to do a suicide melee attack on the enemies onagers and they did manage to take them out but they were routed and down to 2 men, at the end of the battle I almost had a full squad healed. Meanwhile some units never got 1 casualty restored and they were never in the thick of battle.

Using roads and walls as the first item to build in every settlement I captured , I was able to speed my army thru territory and leave the garrison with some defense enough to let me come back if needed. I started out with no enslavement but it was taking too long to pacify settlements so started enslaving , have not tried killing as wasn't sure if take any bad hits on my generals.

Ballistae IMO is a waste of coin, I have yet to find a good use for them as a unit of archers can take out more enemies in 1 volley than a ballistae can. Maybe for elephants, but seeing 1 big arrow take down 1 trooper if I get a hit just wasn't worth it, not to mention they reduce travel.

I am still trying to find a good counter to mobile missile cavalry as they seem to be my bane. So far only good tactic I had was using cavalry to try to keep them on the move and hopefully drive them within a melee unit.

Anyways sorry for the ramble, I am eagerly waiting the printable version so can make sure didn't miss anything.

BTW not sure if saw this covered or not but if you have settlement detail screen up and construction tab open, you can see the changes a particular item will do to the settlement, usually the food or trade items.

Also you can make a red settlement blue or yellow just by recruiting troops, even tho they haven't been made yet. It seems to take from the population pool even when queuing as it does the coin so reducing the population can bring it into a non red condition. This helps if already have low taxes and nothing to build right away. Sometimes tho just queuing certain structures can have same result.
    Last edited by Lochar; 03-01-2005 at 10:20.

Sections 12. Extortion for beginner’s: aka diplomacy, 13. Pretty in purple: the Senate and 14. The Gentle Art of War: being a battlefield guide

Battlefield Guide for Beginners

Hi

I read with interest the various battle tactics posted by members and all of them had their merits and quite a few of them were very good indeed.
    Frogbeastegg’s section 14. The Gentle Art of War: being a battlefield guide was found to be particularly comprehensive, very useful, provided many excellent tips and inspired me to put this down.

There is much that has been written and could be written regarding this aspect of the game, with my own advice to beginners in MP mode is to keep it basic and simple in the early stages of learning.
    This makes the grouping of units easy to deploy, move, attack and defend.

4 or 5 groups at most and the General on his own should be grouped. With the General selected for mobility, horse or chariot for all non Roman factions.

Grouping
    Units are grouped as:-
    1) Infantry
    2) Missile (archers)
    3) Left flank (Usually horses or elephant)
    4) Right flank (horse or elephant also)
    5) Onagers (If chosen)
    and the General.

Deploying -The Basic

I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I
    Left Flank MMMMMMMMMMMMM Right Flank
    OOO G
    Moving
    Before moving anywhere, take a good look at the oppositions forces.
    Look to see the units selected and how they are deployed.
    Have they been selected for a defensive strategy or are they already moving, to a better location to fight, or towards you to attack? Are they walking or running?

Whenever possible, move Infantry first, then the Missiles, Left flank, Right flank, then the General, who should mostly be positioned from mid point and slightly to the right.

Try to always walk your own units - single left click, instead of running everywhere - double left click. Only run when necessary, the last part of an attack or to help other units out if they are in trouble.
    Moving with ease shows confidence and ability, and is perceived as experience by an opponent.

When moving and repositioning, I think it is always best to redraw each group on the battlefield, for a couple of reasons. One reason being so as you know exactly were they will move to. Another is that the redrawing allows for you to make changes to the frontage and depth of the units within the group, which is useful when you are making a counter-move to an opponents troop movements. This also allows you to be able to react quickly to an attack and allows you to send help to an ally that could use some assistance or take out a few stray men. This can mostly only be done by knowing where your own troops are and where you have requested them to go to.

This comes with only a wee bit of practice and eventually becomes second nature.
    For me this usually goes like:-
    select a group of units
    redraw on battle field
    press and hold down the space bar
    select another group of units
    redraw this group in relation to the first group and so on.

To make minor adjustments or to turn individual units around, use the < and > keyboard keys of the selected unit.

Defending
    Onagars are really only good to force an opponent to attack you if you have a good defensive position with units selected for the purpose, usually mostly Phalanx.
    Almost always attempt to have your forces in an elevated position to the opponent.
    Keep your forces close by each other and in formation, but not too tightly packed together, as Onagars and Missile troops can and will wear them down.

Attacking
    This is probably the most difficult part of the strategy except in "Grassy Flatland" (" Mythical Roman Heaven" - this name tag becomes obvious when you have played this map a few times).
    As a beginner, never attack up hill, as there is a distinct likelihood that you will lose.

Camera Work - Make Your Own Sword and Sandal Epic Movie
    This is one of the most fun aspects of the game that I enjoy.
    Learning early how to control the battle camera, very well, is one of the keys to successes.
    Particularly moving it from a low battle level to the highest. (a wheel mouse is good for this, or keyboard keys) Spinning it around at the different available levels and across the battle field quickly.
    Also, at the height of a battle, keep an eye on units that are not fighting that should be. Spot the you unit that is standing around, decide who best to attack and attack them. You would be surprised how many fairly experienced players overlook this simple tip and which have cost them a win in the past.

be on double clicking on units that are not attacking anyone at the height of the battle, and making them attack,

When the battle is over - review the successes, and study the failures.
    After the battle and when you win, review the moves that brought the victory,.
    When you lose, study all of the moves, that everyone made, as this will eventually make this sentence obsolete with perseverance
    You need to always remember, that no matter how good you think you are, you cannot win them all, and how long would it be before you stopped playing if this were possible?

There is more that can be written regarding faction selection based on your allies and opponents own faction selection, as well as specific unit choices that would complement your allies and be most effective in fighting as a team. A very good tactic used by the Clans that fight.

A possible suggestion to the Web Site Administrators would be to allow links within these postings of saved Replay games that would show the offered advice in action.
    I hope this is of some help to someone.

It's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick
    Last edited by frogbeastegg; 03-07-2005 at 11:07. Reason: Slimmed the quote down. I'll be back to answer the latest posts this afternoon; got to go out very soon ....

Nice post Maestrofiglio ... but did you have to include frogbeastegg's complete guide from section 12 as a quote

@frogbeastegg, is 1.2 nearly ready !!!

Don't know if it's a good thing reading these forums as I've read so many complaints regarding bugs in the game that its kinda put me off it, e.g. AI seige bug, horse archer bug, etc, etc see here

http://p223.ezboard.com/fshoguntotal...ID=21423.topic

I'm gonna stop looking at forums and just play the game

Very, very quickly; I'm still a busy frog:

The circular formation will be one of the preset group formations. Select two or more units, group them (hit 'g') and you should notice a small button light up on the interface ... it looks sort of like a flag and an eagle. Click on this newly lit up button and it will give you a list of group formations. Some require quite specific quantities of certain types of troops to work neatly.

Solder experience ... might come from temples, buildings or similar. Units also seem more prone to gathering experience in autocalced battles, and the AI has to autocalc all battles between non-player factions.

Casualty/healing. I've been looking into this a little, and I've found nothing too solid. It seems as if men are more likely to recover from missile wounds than melee ones.

Ballistae (and other siege weapons) are next to useless as antipersonnel units on larger than default unit settings because the number of engines in each unit does not scale up accordingly, only the number of operators. They are best reserved for sieges only. [mental note: add stuff about siege weapons to next update]

Mobile missile cavalry ... try using two units of fast cavalry to put the missile unit in a pincer. The AI won't pull them back if you don't target them directly or get too close, so get neatly into position before attacking. Or you can shoot them to death with archers.

Effects of buildings about to be constructed showing up in details, noted. Thanks. Will try to add. Not sure if the bit about population being removed immediately when a unit is set to build is already in or not; will check.

Maestrofiglio, that is some very good advice. I'm not sure if I intend to add a MP section of my own or not yet; I do actually play MP occasionally. If I don't would you mind if I added yours in and gave you credit, just like the diplomacy section?

As long as a replay is hosted somewhere it can be linked to in any topic here, just use the [URL= address of file for download here [/URL] tags, but remove all the spaces. The org does do some file hosting but it is ... tricky.

The endless bug reports in SP are one of the major reasons I lost interest in SP mode, but the frog's thoughts and review of RTW is a whole new topic. Suffice it to say I see potential, but I am not the least bit happy with how broken the game is in SP mode. I am attempting to mod it into something I can enjoy, but I can’t do a thing about most of the bugs so I’m not convinced my efforts will work to my satisfaction.

The 1.2 update is being written, very slowly in what little time I have available for the project. It's slow work; there's a lot in need of changing, and a lot I want to add.

Very, very quickly; I'm still a busy frog:

The circular formation will be one of the preset group formations. Select two or more units, group them (hit 'g') and you should notice a small button light up on the interface ... it looks sort of like a flag and an eagle. Click on this newly lit up button and it will give you a list of group formations. Some require quite specific quantities of certain types of troops to work neatly.
    Appreciate ya taking time away to give some info, altho I never saw the circular formation as one of the group options. Its mainly just column, line, and then a few variations with archers first or melee units. What I encountered was just a single unit of cavalry, an I think the control key messes with their trying to get into formation but what resulted was a single unbit of cavalary with everyone facing outward in a circular pattern. Actually was playing with it again, the dont form a perfect circle but do face away almost 360 degrees, but the strange part is u cant move them this way and sometimes after a time the revert to a normal formation. The ctrl key gives a shield and I wonder if this is a quick guard formation, or it could be just a silly bug.

I use the ingame formations alot mainly to clump the same type together and then customize from there.

I have seen that most other factions get temples or other buildings that do boost exp when training, I guess starting as scipii (sp) just doesnt have any. From what been reading tho , I really shouldnt use their temples as they contribute to the culture penatly.

I did finally find out tho that traits can be decreased, never saw it before but had a cowardly one go away after had my general in a out and dirty fight. But I guess its limited to which traits to decrease as dont see how to counter a general who's an alkie..:)

Anyways thanks again for the useful info, I refer to this post alot..:)
    Last edited by Lochar; 03-09-2005 at 23:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Lochar
    I have seen that most other factions get temples or other buildings that do boost exp when training, I guess starting as scipii (sp) just doesnt have any. From what been reading tho , I really shouldnt use their temples as they contribute to the culture penatly.
    Scipii's temples of Vulcan boost the experience of troops. Awesome Temple adds one level of experience. Pantheon adds two levels of experience.

The Building Browser is useful for comparing the stats of the highest level temples when deciding which temple to build in which cities.

yeah I just realized that I wasnt scipii but julii, and they just have bonuses to public and law.

I kinda wondered if they are given sonmething else to make up for this lack, but so far dont see anything, altho havent built any pantheons yet.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast