Thread: Second internal release - task list

EB insanity coordinator Senior Member khelvan's Avatar

Default Second internal release - task list

Alright everyone, the time has come to start some change control and determine exactly what we'll be adding to our second release.

My part in this is to collect all the different work and add it all together into a single build, since many people are doing work on the same files. The work list so far contains:

- Refinement of terrain movement modifiers (me)
    - Increase in overall unit defense to slow kill rates further (me)
    - Fixes to campaign map starting locations (me)
    - Changes to campaign map + new provinces (Dead Moroz)
    - Changes to Dacian and Thracian descriptions (Stormy)

So, in order to get us moving toward a common goal, I am going to set an arbitrary date: This coming Friday, November 5th, as the date on which I will no longer accept new work for the current build. That means that you must have your work to me by Thursday the 4th.

Please drop a note here as to what you can have to me by that time. If you have new unit graphics/animations please make sure you are coordinating with the others doing work on the faction so that I also have unit stats for the units you are working on, and descriptions.

If this date is not acceptable for some reason, please let me know. Do not worry if you can't make this deadline: This is just an interim milestone, we will be creating and releasing at least several internal builds before we release a public one, so that our players are not playing an unfinished or buggy product. We are more concerned about the quality of our work than we are speed in releasing it.

Please provide as much detail as you can about what you intend to send to me for this build.

Thanks,

-khel
    Cogita tute

Default Re: Second internal release - task list

khelvan, I made all possible changes on current campaign map: added new provinces and changed borders of some old, corrected region/city names and default cultures, added new resources to some provinces. Tomorrow I'll send you all files.

I made new map widened to north and east. But now it just CTD on start. Trying to find the problem.

Father of the EB Isle Member Aymar de Bois Mauri's Avatar
    Staring West at the setting sun, atop the Meneltarma

I will release a full reworking of the stats of the Iberian units, of the Roman units (including the inhability to train: Arcani, Wardogs, Incendiary Pigs, Gladiators and Roman Archers), some Carthaghinian stats alterations and some other factions legionairy stats alterations. A few altered descriptions for the Iberian and Carthaginian units. You'll recieve my mail wednesday afternoon.

BTW, Dead Moroz!! I hope you'll be able to include the new Iberian map me and [cF] HanBall are working on, in the Alpha 0.3 release (the release after this next one). I'll post that info later this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Aymar de Bois Mauri
    I will release a full reworking of the stats of the Iberian units, of the Roman units (including the inhability to train: Arcani, Wardogs, Incendiary Pigs, Gladiators and Roman Archers), some Carthaghinian stats alterations and some other factions legionairy stats alterations. A few altered descriptions for the Iberian and Carthaginian units. You'll recieve my mail wednesday afternoon.

BTW, Dead Moroz!! I hope you'll be able to include the new Iberian map me and [cF] HanBall are working on, in the Alpha 0.3 release (the release after this next one). I'll post that info later this week.
    Yes, I'm planning to make all regions changes for Gaul, Germans and Iberians for next build. AFAIC they are still in discuss level. I have some questions to Psycho about Gallic provinces. And just have no time to finish all this work for version 0.2.
    But for 0.3 I hope we will have entirely new map with all necessary changes. Or at least proper original map.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moroz
    Yes, I'm planning to make all regions changes for Gaul, Germans and Iberians for next build. AFAIC they are still in discuss level. I have some questions to Psycho about Gallic provinces. And just have no time to finish all this work for version 0.2.
    But for 0.3 I hope we will have entirely new map with all necessary changes. Or at least proper original map.
    Great. I'll try to get the definitive information for you ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Aymar de Bois Mauri
    What's wrong with Roman Archers? Why do you want to get rid of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moroz
    What's wrong with Roman Archers? Why do you want to get rid of them?
    Yes. Not that they are a ridiculous unit, but the Roman army never used really them, until the 1st century AD. And then they weren't exactly Romans. They were Auxilia recruited form the eastern provinces of the Empire (reflex composite bows).

Ok, I have received a ton of info from various people. I will see if I can incorporate it all this weekend for our second internal release. I should be around during the day tomorrow on instant messenger to discuss.
    Cogita tute

EB Unit Dictator/Administrator Member Urnamma's Avatar

I've heard that increasing defenses screws up the gameplay by unbalancing it... Check out Rome: Total Realism. They tried that and ultimately rejected it as a possible solution to slowing the kill rate down. FYI
    'It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.'
    ~Voltaire
    'People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid. ' - Soren Kierkegaard
    “A common danger tends to concord. Communism is the exploitation of the strong by the weak. In Communism, inequality comes from placing mediocrity on a level with excellence.” - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

EB Unit Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by Urnamma
    I've heard that increasing defenses screws up the gameplay by unbalancing it... Check out Rome: Total Realism. They tried that and ultimately rejected it as a possible solution to slowing the kill rate down. FYI
    You know what they did instead? They've increased the HP of every unit and consequently decreased the General's resistance (max 15HP). So, to compensate they've increased bodyguards HP too. Result: Jedi General + Jedi Bodyguards. Not a very good idea for a "Total Realism" MOD, isn't it?

EB Unit Dictator/Administrator Member Urnamma's Avatar

You know what they did instead? They've increased the HP of every unit and consequently decreased the General's resistance (max 15HP). So, to compensate they've increased bodyguards HP too. Result: Jedi General + Jedi Bodyguards. Not a very good idea for a "Total Realism" MOD, isn't it?
    That's hilarious. Oh well, serves me right for not reading farther. And yeah, the gameplay does seem a little odd with total realism... Just trying to help
    'It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.'
    ~Voltaire
    'People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid. ' - Soren Kierkegaard
    “A common danger tends to concord. Communism is the exploitation of the strong by the weak. In Communism, inequality comes from placing mediocrity on a level with excellence.” - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

EB Unit Coordinator

Flying Dutchman Member Ellesthyan's Avatar

Humm... Never noticed that hp problem, Aymar... Been playing the realism mod for a while now, and generals aren't exactly jedi.
    A.E.I.O.U.

Austria Est Imperare Orbi Universo
    Austria is destined to rule the world.

(Or, as the Prussians interpretated it:
    Austria Erit In Orbe Ultima
    Austria will one day be lowest in the world.)

Österreich über alles!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellesthyan
    Humm... Never noticed that hp problem, Aymar... Been playing the realism mod for a while now, and generals aren't exactly jedi.
    Well, I haven't tried the MOD myself but, from what I've read, that is one of the problems. Besides, the more HP to the general unit, the most likely for the AI to charge their general in to the fray (unrealistic).

The generals themselves are not jedi, the general's units are super units.
    Cogita tute