Thread: What province size?

Wandering Historian Member eadingas's Avatar
    Llanfairpwll- gwyngyll- gogerych- wyrndrobwll- llantysilio- gogogoch

Default What province size?

Well, here's the question: what average size of provinces do you have in mind?
    As it is now, we have it very extreme. There is Sicily, small island divided into three, and Rhodos - one might ask, if Rhodos is a separate province, why not Isle of Man, or Gotland? - and on the other hand we have Scythian and Arabian provinces - vast areas of empty land. Of course, the further from the med, the bigger and emptier provinces.
    I can see there will be controversies on this subject. There is a temptation to put all the info we have on the map - so, Gallia, Britannia and parts of Germania will be divided into small provinces, because we know a lot about them. I don't think it's fair for the lands further away. Did you think of averaging the size of the provinces somehow?
    I'm still not here

Father of the EB Isle Member Aymar de Bois Mauri's Avatar
    Staring West at the setting sun, atop the Meneltarma

Default Re: What province size?

Quote Originally Posted by eadingas
    Well, here's the question: what average size of provinces do you have in mind?
    As it is now, we have it very extreme. There is Sicily, small island divided into three, and Rhodos - one might ask, if Rhodos is a separate province, why not Isle of Man, or Gotland? - and on the other hand we have Scythian and Arabian provinces - vast areas of empty land. Of course, the further from the med, the bigger and emptier provinces.
    I can see there will be controversies on this subject. There is a temptation to put all the info we have on the map - so, Gallia, Britannia and parts of Germania will be divided into small provinces, because we know a lot about them. I don't think it's fair for the lands further away. Did you think of averaging the size of the provinces somehow?
    Nope. I think each province's size should be related to geographical informantion only. The subdividing should relate to faction possession or strategical importance for the period, like Sicily.