Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Army Lists

Senior Member Senior Member hoggy's Avatar

Default Re: Army Lists

The Koreans will have officers and generals but not unique ones. The officers will be the goguryo on foot and generals will be a retexture of the goguryo. If there's time later we may improve on this (as well as adding more Korean units) but for now they are a mini faction without the added extras of the major factions.

Quote Originally Posted by hoggy
    The Koreans will have officers and generals but not unique ones. The officers will be the goguryo on foot and generals will be a retexture of the goguryo. If there's time later we may improve on this (as well as adding more Korean units) but for now they are a mini faction without the added extras of the major factions.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Hoggy, some questions about your drawings;

When you're drawing your horses, do you draw them from photo models or are they entirely from your imagination?

Also, what do you do for a living? Are you a professional artist? Frankly you're a lot better artist than some ofthe artists I see here in Vancouver that are making $60,000+ a year...

Have you produced any paintings as works of art in themselves? If so, could you post some of them please?

I normally try to draw them myself but if i get stuck I'll look for a photo for reference, I've never been very good at horses. I'm a games artist so i mostly work in 3D and don't have any paintings or anything like that really. Mostly I just concept what I'm going to build as it gives me some thinking time. Time to plan the model and work out details etc. $60K sounds good but a little out of my league

MUSIC FOR THE DEAF, AFTER Member Sykotyk Rampage's Avatar

60,000 Canadian dollars are 24,967.76 pounds
    your worth more than that Hoggy and a cost of living allowance and a new computer and a snazzy car, nice house, garden, yearly supply of pints, a graumbacher pen and ink set with inlaid pearl handles, a french maid -yes in the black and white uniform, toast and tea at 4, a jaccuzzi with the mandatory martini bar and live band that plays what ever you need at the time, limousine service to the airport where your jet waits to take you to the coast of spain for a holiday that you get every second week and twice on sundays with the swedish swim team and when your over worked and stressed from drawing and sketching and clicking the mouse your shoulders are massaged into a warmth and relaxed state by twins named Cassie and Veronica but I digress................but really you should at least have the free beer

SKR

HARSH MUSIC FOR HARSH MINDS,
    ENVIRON-MENTAL SUITS NOT INCLUDED

Talking Re: Army Lists

I normally try to draw them myself but if i get stuck I'll look for a photo for reference, I've never been very good at horses. I'm a games artist so i mostly work in 3D and don't have any paintings or anything like that really. Mostly I just concept what I'm going to build as it gives me some thinking time. Time to plan the model and work out details etc. $60K sounds good but a little out of my league

"I've never been very good at horses." :lol:

We all beg to disagree...

CA should hire you to do horses alone, if nothing else..

Just your average dragoon Member DragoonXXIV's Avatar

|deleted|
    Last edited by DragoonXXIV; 07-08-2005 at 00:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Sykotyk Rampage
    ...but really you should at least have the free beer
    here, here. I'd gladdy buy hoggy a round if i ever meet him.

hey . . . .here's another idea, i dont know if this is being made . . . but prehaps you should make terracotta units . . . . like terracotta soldiers for china . . . a thing for them to defend them from the demons (like in real life) or terracotta infantry for demons, cause they look alike. prehaps as rebels in-between china and demons . . . . maybe they even have enough units (terracotta cavalry,infantry,chariots,archers etc) to make a mini-faction themselves! but i think you guys are too busy to make another mini-faction but terracotta units? or are you already planning to make these?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly5
    hey . . . .here's another idea, i dont know if this is being made . . . but prehaps you should make terracotta units . . . . like terracotta soldiers for china . . . a thing for them to defend them from the demons (like in real life) or terracotta infantry for demons, cause they look alike. prehaps as rebels in-between china and demons . . . . maybe they even have enough units (terracotta cavalry,infantry,chariots,archers etc) to make a mini-faction themselves! but i think you guys are too busy to make another mini-faction but terracotta units? or are you already planning to make these?
    Terracotta were for defending against Demons, so perhaps they could be the unique unit of China, with incredible moral, unwaivering at the demoralizing sight of the demons..something like the spartans of the greeks in Vanilla? If its possible, also a combat bonus to demons?

Hmm.. if i'm not mistaken i've seen a rather definate trend in the army lists, namely the historic factions don't have mythological units. While the rebels and magical factions (monks and demons) do. I think it's best if we stick with that trend, but that's just me. Either way, let Hoggy & Co. finish what's already slated before adding anything new, remember there is still a lot of work to be done.

they are still bery far compared to other mods . . . from the looks of it prehaps even a possible beta might be in in less than a month . . . or half of one. . . *hopes*, however, prehaps if not-not able to incorperate terracotta units for china (it would be cool though . . they played a pretty major part in chinese demon-defending mythology. prehaps they could be rebels . .or . . watever.

if so, i think that the terracotta units should have high or low (is terra cotta better than metal? well, they are hollow . . prehaps their defence should be weak . . . .) defence, no moral (they have no fear, just follows their masters orders), bonus vs demons? (i dont think thats possible though . . .), ok attack, and should they be able to run amok? like the sorcerors lose control of them . . . . oh well, as said before (be others) its hoggy and co's choice.

That's true DragoonXXIV, much of what is suggested might be perfect for the mod, but perfect for Hoggy to consider himself when the mods been released and there is actually time to do it without stressing himself out.

I believed I heard some comment of some mythological units being mercenaries. Don't know. :D

For future refernece chilly, terracota is rather brittle. If i'm not mistaken it's a type of clay, so think of how fragile a clay vase/bowl/whatever is. So they should have very low defense, but maybe 2(+) hitpoints as you can chop off an arm but they keep coming. If you were going to implament them i would recommend they serve as banner men, thier presence inspiring others and rallying the wavering (like the roman Aquali/1st Legion in vanilla). Also i believe that some of the mercenaries are definately mythological in nature.

Assistant Mod Mod Member GiantMonkeyMan's Avatar
    plymouth - scrubbing Beirut's toilet with a cat...

having terracota units would be great! but maybe only buildable in the chinese capital? or something like that so that you wouldn't get to many of them and have chinese armies made only of terracota units
    another idea would be to have a sort of terracota army building like a wonder that would improve troop morale and allow for longer seiges or something....

for korea i think that they shold have some sort of elite spearmen as well as their 'militia' type spearmen to give them more combat infantry cos at the mo they are kinda low on units... but it is up to hoggy

DragoonXXIV- oh, ok, i thought so, but i just wasnt sure . . . after all, they are a full body of clay (but hollow) unlike the humans who wear some armour but is then flesh. yeah, the multiple health points sounds proper

GiantMonkeyMan- oh, here's an idea, i think its possible to allow fairness by making a wonder like- THE TERRACOTTA ARMY BURIAL SITE and then, that one wonder allows terracotta units to be built and will be placed at the relative place where the terracotta army was found. and also, korea is a mini faction, so its kinda supposed to be weak . . . .

Choson (Korea), Monks and Karazai Khanate (Mongol horde) are mini-factions so they doesn't have big army lists yet. But Hoggy has mentioned many times that the mini-factions will probably be buffed up with more units after the mod is released.

Guubok Jangon, my self and a few others have posted much material and stuff about ancient Korean warfare and warriors (especially Guubok Jangoon, he is a living ensyclopedia of Korean history ;) ). So I belive that Hoggy have a lot of visual input to create new fantastic yet historically accurate models and units.

You can find a korean heavy armoured unit-suggestion based on Gaia on the Screenshot-forum at page 17 I think.

I am quite negative when it comes to make the Terracotta army as a unit-choice. I think it would fit better as a moral/stat-booster wonder or/and building type. An unit created in the same region as a Terracotta army will fight better against demons and other strange humanoids and semi-beasts.

And if the Terracotta should be a playable unit, well then I think that it would fit better in the Monk faction since they allready have magical/magic using units like the Masters. The monks could have the knowledge how to create terracotta warriors and and animate/enspirit them with the wisdom/knowledge/holiness of the Enlightened One... or something similar. It would fit their spiritual army-profile. Atleast I think so.

Aw shucks...a living encyclopedia? :D

But yes, you can find some pictures of Gayan plate armor in the screen shots thread. Above them, I have some pictures of Goguryeoan infantry.

I think the monks having terracotta soldiers would be more acceptable too. Kind of like puppet masters.

But I don't think they would be able to do much. They're made of clay. Their armor is made of clay. Their weapons are made of clay. Their horses and chariots are made of clay. They'd just explode on contact witht the other units. ::poof::

well, they are demented, empowered with magic . . . so they should be a little stronger . . . and i dont agree with the monk idea, monks are all the way in new zealand(sp?), th terraotta army was in wat? north west china? . . . so i think it should belong to all factions, the terracotta army should be a wonder in a rebel settlement whichever faction can capture the wonder, whichever faction gets terracotta warriors, china and demons are closest so they will probally begin with them, it kinda gives it a historical feeling, evil terracotta or good? ah .. . . i dont know what i'm talking about, i probally dont make sense . .. i just woke up . . . *goes back to sleep*

I know the whole idea of Gayan infantry is subject to whether or not Hoggy decides to expand the mod after it is completed...but I thought I'd just post some pictures here.

I've mixed in the old pics that I posted in the Screenshots thread with a bunch of new pictures I found. I hope this helps somehow.

Helmets

Neck Guards

Body Plates

Shield

Arm Plates

Horse Related Stuff

I'm assuming that the Chinese Ox chariot thing is no more.

Well, digging through history, I came across a cool substitute!

The wooden ox! Historians think that it was just a tricked out wheelbarrow, but taking some historical and fantasy license here, we could make it like litererally a giant walking ox with archers on top. Wouldn't the elephant skeleton work for that?

More on the ox.

http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/ind...1&hl=wooden+ox

haha, ace! I'll stick it on the wish list for future possible development.

WHAT? no more ox-chariots?? why? those things were awesome...

Quote Originally Posted by Gubook Janggoon
    I'm assuming that the Chinese Ox chariot thing is no more.

Well, digging through history, I came across a cool substitute!

The wooden ox! Historians think that it was just a tricked out wheelbarrow, but taking some historical and fantasy license here, we could make it like litererally a giant walking ox with archers on top. Wouldn't the elephant skeleton work for that?

More on the ox.

http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/ind...1&hl=wooden+ox

Dude. This mod is -BUILT- on historical and fantasy licenses. :D

That would be an impressive addition, and something to grant elephants to more than just the indian faction too, which might help balancing issues. Could work for a future release!

I've updated post #7 of this thread with some concepts of some of the mercenary/rebel units.

I've updated post #7 of this thread with some concepts of some of the mercenary/rebel units.
    I would be careful of using Hanuman as a unit though. He is a diety for many people, and he is one person. Having several "hanumans" wouldn't really work.

Instead, you could name the unit after Hanuman's race, the Vanara. While Hanuman is one person, other's like him (i.e. monkey/humans in Hindu mythology) are called Vanara.

Just a suggestion.

I think that would be wise.

We wouldn't want to offend anyone.

I'm anxiously waiting for the Turtle Riders. : D

Quote Originally Posted by AlokaParyetra
    I would be careful of using Hanuman as a unit though. He is a diety for many people, and he is one person. Having several "hanumans" wouldn't really work.

Instead, you could name the unit after Hanuman's race, the Vanara. While Hanuman is one person, other's like him (i.e. monkey/humans in Hindu mythology) are called Vanara.

Just a suggestion.
    True, I'll change them to Vanara.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

are those hanuman/vanara slingerers? or what weapon do they use?

I understand this would be alot of work (and thus apologise pre-emptively), but could the first page of posts, with the basic army lists on them, be updated? Perhaps with a brief description of the unit and how it functions on the battlefield (poor hand to hand fighters useful in numbers, skilled archers but lightly armoured, etc etc)?

It would make things alot easier for people looking through the races. Especially now when things seem to be going so fast, and some people (such as myself) are eager to look through the races to hazard a guess what would be the most enjoyable for our play style.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast