Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Westeros Total War

Default Re: Westeros Total War

If I may ask...

What are the factions in this MOD?

I never read the books... So I am courious...
    BLOOD FOR BLOOD!
    DEATH FOR DEATH!

Smelo tovarishchi v' nogu!

I like Bush...

From 5000's post earlier...

greyjoys in the iron islands
    starks in the north
    tullys in riverrun ( maybe making the freys a protectorate of the tullys? but not really too sure how this works )
    lannisters in the west
    stannis on dragon stone

i was actually thinking of making king's landing its own seperate faction akin to the roman senate in the original game

tyrells
    renly
    not too sure how to handle these two, but they will definitely be in there
    I do think Dorne should be playable - for the variety if nothing else

I guess we're going to end up with a mixture of geographical and house names for the factions

The North = Starks
    Riverlands = Tullys
    Westerlands = Lannisters
    Stormlands = Baratheon (Renly)
    Dragonstone = Baratheon (Stannis)
    Dorne = Martells
    Iron Isles = Greyjoys
    The Reach = Tyrells

Other possible playable factions - King's Landing (Targaryen if you go for a scenario set before the start of the books??), Beyond the Wall (Wildlings\Mance Rayder), The Vale (Arryns, I'd like to see these guys playable actually), The Freys (lemme guess - Walder will have the 'fertile' trait, whatever it's called;))

Candidates for senate - King's Landing (not sure this fits - KL really isn't seperate from the house that rules), Night's Watch, Free Cities(?)

Hmmm, can you add new traits to the game?

Acutally, what I can do is draw up a spec document detailing what's going to be in the mod - it would help to have a clear plan of what we're aiming to do.

Is a good idea dajamieson, but at this point maybe still a "work in progress" spec. At the moment there are many ideas, but we don't all agree on every point. For example, me and 5000 would like to have acampaign set in the AGOT-ACOK time, concentrated in few years, while I recall you (not sure, if not, sorry :) ) would prefer a different setting played in a long time range, including Targariens.

As for factions (in a AGOT-ACOK setting) I would give king landing to the Lannisters, it reflect what is in the book. Balancing have to be worked out later.

To decide the setting, we could ask to someASOIAF community what they would prefer...
    Also, I think we could work on a second setting for a different kind of campaign, once we are ready with it...
    well we will see

Bigwig, I myself don't know how much time I will at the end dedicate to this mod, (and as 5000 has started, I also know nothing abouot modding...) we all do this for fun. just remain with us and discuss about it, it will help us a lot and keep high the motivation of everybody
    Phoinix_Massimo

Quote Originally Posted by dajamieson
    Acutally, what I can do is draw up a spec document detailing what's going to be in the mod - it would help to have a clear plan of what we're aiming to do.
    beautiful, that would be great

Quote Originally Posted by Massi
    Bigwig, I myself don't know how much time I will at the end dedicate to this mod, (and as 5000 has started, I also know nothing abouot modding...) we all do this for fun. just remain with us and discuss about it, it will help us a lot and keep high the motivation of everybody
    i agree completely, i've been workin too much on this lately, i've been laid up with a bad back, and haven't been workin, once i go back to work i proly won't spend as much time on it, plus i'm real lazy so i was never plannin on goin all gung ho on this, whatever help anyone wants to contribute, from offering opinions, to 3d modeling, will always be welcome. i was planning on emailing george r r, asking for permission to use the stories and characters in the mod, i had a friend in law school(like that means anything) write up a real polite formal type letter to send. i was curious what ppl thought on that, i just wouldn't want to put in a bunch of time and effort only to get a cease and desist letter from his lawyers or somethin.

progress:
    i've been able to change the house flags hanging over the cities, haven't figured out how to do it for units, howver, workin on that next

gotta question, you know the background color, under the city where it states the name of the city, ex. King's Landing, anyone know how to change that color?

i also posted a couple pics in:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...d=1#post685782
    that show the martell flag, that one, eh not so good, but i've also done renly's and it looks pretty tiite.

Westeros is coming

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Westeros Total War

I think the files you'll need to edit in order to change factions' color is descr-sm-faction in the data folder

It looks like that :
    faction romans julii
    symbol data/models_strat/symbol_julii.CAS
    rebel_symbol data/models_strat/symbol_slaves.CAS
    primary_colour red 165, green 20, blue 20
    secondary_colour red 0, green 0, blue 0
    logo_path data/ui/symbols/symbol_julii.tga
    triumph_value 5

Edit the primary and secondary colors. One of them will change the thing you're looking for.

Sending a mail to G.R.R Martin might be a good idea. He's quite a nice guy and I'm pretty sure he'll give you his blessing.

From what I see from his fan correspondance and stuff, GRRM is a nice guy. Make sure to tell him that it's just a fan driven project and I bet you'll get a good response. I'd be surprised if it were otherwise.

Default Re: Re : Westeros Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil
    I think the files you'll need to edit in order to change factions' color is descr-sm-faction in the data folder
    Edit the primary and secondary colors. One of them will change the thing you're looking for.
    thanks that did it, it also changed the backgorund color of the unit's flags as well as the line for borders.

Westeros is coming

i was planning on emailing george r r
    Not sure how quickly you'd get a reply - I think he's stopped answering emails personally while he finishes the book;)

I do know there was an issue when a Crusader Kings Westeros mod was being made with people using the arms from the westeros.org site as they were copyrighted.

*racking my brains* - I'm not sure, but I think GRRM has played a bit of Medieval.

If you're in doubt - post on Ran's ezboard site. He'll probably have an idea what GRRM thinks about game mods - maybe Parris or Lodengarl could help too.

In my opinion, the book series is okay, but not the fans.

I was almost killed for saying royalism was a 'bad idea'.

hey i am a big fan of the books, and i like your map, i do have something though. i think rosby should be closer to King's Landing, if you have the third book in hardback (for sure, thats what i have, and maybe in paperback) it has maps with much more detail, and rosby is only 30 miles or so from the city.

on the other map, id suggest putting the gates of the moon castle where you have bloody gate and moving bloody gate south and west a bit. and also i liked where you had deepwood motte, but it didnt look like you could get through the wolfswood at all. one final thing...seagard is actually north of the twins.

ok well im done with my constructive criticism, it looks great!

whats royalism, haven't heard the term before.

thanks for the advice, looking in the back of books one and two, seagard is definitely south of the twins, gave away my copy of number 3, so can't check there. thanks for the tip on rosby, will change it when i get back to the map.
    i have the eyrie and the bloody gate where they are becuase it was a little difficultto make the passge between them i didn't want anybody to be able to sneak by and attack the eyrie without first going thru the bloody. and your definitly right about deepwood, i know i have to thin out the forest a little, i was more or less just gettin it in there.

i been working on the house sigils lately and trying to get them to appear in game. although i haven't been working on it much, haven't been getting too much interest in the help department, and its alot of stuff that needs to be changed so i'm just takin it slow and doin a little here and there, but other that its goin pretty well, this is what i got:

And i did email George RR last week, no response as of yet.

Westeros is coming

oh and once again thank you image shack.

ImageShack® Hosting, for all your image hosting needs.

Westeros is coming

5000 - do you still have 'Baelish Hold' on the Fingers? I'd be tempted to take it out. Littlefinger's holding really isn't much more than a small village. If you want something in that general area, maybe put Sistertown in on one of the Three Sisters?

i was planning on keeping Bealish hold small and pointless, super small population, 0 growth. i wanted it in there cause petyr was a gangster, but will consider.

i been making pretty good progress in figuring out what files to alter to get changes to appear in game, here's a few more pics, instead of posting them straight on here i started a gallery at image shack

Westeros Total War Gallery

-joe

Westeros is coming

new gallery
    new gallery

Westeros is coming

uuuhh, that was weird, if the above link sent anybody to the microsoft homepage, this should be the correct link:
    the correct link

Westeros is coming

I really love to look at your maps, 5000.
    from my side, I'm still overwelmed by work, cannot start to do anything yet.
    Phoinix_Massimo

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Westeros Total War

Good work 5000. I fully support this project cause A song of ice and fire is the ebst fantasy book I've ever read

I read the books and thought they were great. A mod would be great also, but i have neither the skill no the time to contribute much.

The greatest problem will probably be appropriate units. The soldiers in Fire & Ice were very late medieval - heavy plate Cavalry, pikemen, crossbowmen, etc. It would be fun to play on the map with ancient type units, but wouldn't be like the age described in the books.

Do you think it will be possible to 'borrow' from the LOTR mod and the Medieval mod? Those skeletons, with some new skins, should do most of the units.

I think the map will be more fun than the original RTW. I don't think the AI handles the oceans very well, and with the Westeros map, the oceans are purely the perimeter.

Anyway, good luck and looking forward to playing it at some point.

AB

gallery's been updated
    Westeros Total War Gallery i be updating it periodically.

i think thats a good idea about asking the medieal mod, i've been posting on other boards ad someone there suggested that also.

Westeros is coming

hi 5000,

Do you have an army list already? I mean, a list of units that should be in the campaign.
    Here I propose one, we can discuss it of course. I posted it also at westeros.org, maybe we get some response/opinion form them.

Basically every Westeros faction has same units, with only different skins depending on the Houses. So, a Bolton knight unit will have the Stark flag, but different colours from Winterfell knights. And they will be named Bolton Knights if there is a simple captain to lead them, or "Rose Bolton Guard" if it is the Dread Lord at the head of this unit. Also, they can be trained only in the Dreadfort.

--------------------------------------------
    These general units are:

Horses.
    - Knights: heavy horses, excellent charge, excellent morale, good attack, good defense, heavily/very heavily armored, slow. First weapon: lance, second weapon: either mace, battleaxe, warhammer or longsword (changing according to the House).
    - Lord's guardsmen: heavy horses (same stats of the Knights, perhaps slightly better) led by a book character, they cannot be rebuild if destroyed or if the character is killed.
    - Free riders: medium armed horses, good charge, average morale, defense and attack
    First weapon: lance; second weapon: longsword (or mace, or battleaxe)
    - Scouts: light cavalry; average charge, low attack and defense; morale: from low to good. Special: on the strategic map they have better visibility range and highest movement.
    (special scouts are the Blackfish's and Tyrion's wildlings)

Infantry.
    - heavy spears: bonus against cavalry, good charge, weak attack, excellent defense, good morale, heavy armored, slow
    - light spears: bonus against cavalry, very weak attack, good defense, low morale, cheap unit, quick to train.
    - Man at arms, heavy: good defense, excellent attack, good morale
    Weapon: longsword or battleaxe
    - Man at arms, light: average defense, good attack, low morale, fast. Cheap unit, quick to train.
    Weapon: longsword

Missile.
    - Crossbows: excellent against armoured units, high letality, low range, slow to reload, slow, low morale
    - Elite bowmen: average against armoured units, long range, good morale
    - Recruit bowmen: medium range, low letality, low morale. Cheap, quick to train.

The balancement should be based on the following:
    horses > man at arms
    man at arms > spears
    spears > horses
    Horses are also fast, but more sensible to bolts/arrows (they make a bigger target), rare and very expensive.

Crossbows are very dangerous for armoured troops, but they are killed easyly by bowmen, because of the longer range of the bow.

This very simple scheme should guarantee a good balancing between the units. For whom played to Shogun Total War, the crossbows are intended to be specular to the teppos. This should reduce the effectiveness of "rush" armies and tactics in a multiplayer game. If people does not like them in single player, crossbows could be made expensive or slow to train.

Knights want to be the power of the battlefield in such a medievalic warfare, but I would not overpower them too much, or all the game balance would be compromised. I was also thinking they must be very expensive and, more important, VERY slow to train.
    Ironmen and Dorne should have some more special units. Also, Ironmen do not have mounted knights, so they could have an Elite man at arm unit

Dorne special unit:
    - long spear, heavily armored: bonus against cavalry, good attack, excellent defense, good morale, slow

Ironmen special unit:
    - Elite Man at arm with bow: melee stats same as standard man at arms, heavy; ranged stats same as Elite Bowmen
    First weapon: bow; Second weapon: battleaxe.
    - Man at arm with bow: melee stats same as man at arms, light; ranged stats same as Elite bowmen.
    First weapon: bow; Second weapon: battleaxe or longsword
    mercenaries:
    here comes for some interesting possibilities.
    - Dothraki riders: light armored, good charge, excellent attack, good defense, excellent morale. Ranged stats: medium range bow, good/average against armour.
    First weapon: bow; Second weapon: their special one... how is it called?
    - freeriders
    - unsullied: VERY RARE, light spears, bonus against cavalry, weak attack, good defense extraordinary morale
    - mountain wildlings: light horses, good charge, low defense, average attack, very good morale, fast (scouts)
    Some special unit in force of the kingdoms:

- King Robb guardsmen: I think there is the possibility to add a direwolf to the unit... would not be bad, isn't it?
    - Tyrion's mountain wildlings: medium horses, good charge, average defense, good attack, very good morale, fast (scouts category)
    - Blackfish scouts: knights stats, but fast, with medium armor and only good defense. Good pool of hit points for the blackfish himself.

that's a first idea. What do you think?
    Phoinix_Massimo

The Wildlings (north from the wall) should have a special selection of units (I guess they won't be playable, but just to have them as barbarians):

- Thenns infantry: medium infantry, good morale
    - Thenns cavalry: like a medium cavalry (freeriders) with average defense. Should be a rare unit.
    - Mance Rider cavalry: like a medium cavalry, with low defense and good morale. Mance should have a good pool of hit points
    - Giantsbane cavalry: as for Mance Rider
    - Wildlings spearmen: like light spear infantry
    - wildlings swordman, with bow: like light man at arms, ranged stats like recruit bowmen.
    - Mammuth: like elephants in RTW, extremely heavy cav, rode by giants
    - Giants: basically another cavalry, to see how they do work.
    Phoinix_Massimo

The night watch.

- Stewards infantry unit: man at arms with bow, light. Melee stats like light armored man at arm, good morale; Ranged stats like recruit bowmen
    - Steward crossbowmen: like crossbowmen, good morale
    - Builder unit: like steward, only good charge, good attack, good morale, battleaxe instead of longsword.
    - Builder spearmen: like light spearmen, good morale.
    - Rangers Infantry unit: man at arm with bow, heavy, elite. Melee stats like heavy man at arm, excellent morale; Ranged stats like Elite bowmen. Battleaxe or longsword.
    - Rangers Cavalry unit: like Knights.

General consideration: a man at arm with a bow should not have a plate armor... should therefore always be medium armor, not heavy.
    Phoinix_Massimo

Ringwraith Extraordinaire Member The Witch-King's Avatar

Great idea for a mod lads. Alternatively you could place the mod before the Aegon Targaryen landed in Westeros, in which case you have all the independent kingdoms fighting each other. :)

Now that I think of it, a mod based entirely north of the Wall would be pretty neat. It would be to Westeros:TW like how the Viking Invasion expansion pack was for the original TW games, a smaller sort of cross section of the original game using some of the same units and different dynamics. For example, if you played the Night's Watch you would have 0 population growth for obvious reasons, but you would periodically get "gifts" of fresh convicts from the kingdoms down south (who act sort of like the senate), maybe in return for successful rangings (exterminating wildling towns). Meanwhile the wildlings would start off either united under Mance or as seperate factions, and would have to protect their lands from both the wights and the night's watch with the ultimate goal of making an army large enough to breach the wall and escape to the south.
    Of course it's probably a little early to be talking about this before Westeros:TW is even complete, especially since it would be a lot of work. Just an entertaining idea.

there is a much larger discussion over here

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index...T&f=58&t=22366

i check back here periodically, so you can post responses here, if you don't wanna sign up for another board. Massi i PM'ed you about the unit list you came up with, good work.

Witch-King, as of right now the time period is set around the clash of kings, but i'm startin to think a different time period might be better, don't know, gonna run it by everyone else.

Bigwig, the idea was actually tossed around about an eventual expansion, we were thinking about doing the other continent with danerys, but a small mini campaign for the wall, perhaps a replacement for the tutorial, actually sounds like a really cool idea. i personally don't think it would be that hard, most the changes that would take place would be to the map. but like you said still waaay too early, to say if that would happen.

and hopefully we're gonna get our own site soon. i'll post a link when it happens.
    Last edited by 5000; 02-28-2005 at 11:15.

Westeros is coming

O my GOD!!!!....Winter is coming!!!

truly one beautiful idea!! if you have need of a hand for whichever thing I will make all what I can, even if me you will have to explain what and as to make... (o you even say me where I can find a guide) if instead it serves you of the diagram 2d for the background of the shielded ones I put myself endured to the search of images adapted and I put myself to the job with photoshop....
    my mail: s0ulw0lf@hotmail . com (without spaces)

ps:excused for as I write but use a translator
    for the mather of all battle,for the time of Wolf

Mediaeval Auctoriso Member Member Renown's Avatar

I was part of the team on the Westero's mod, for Crusader's King (as I seen someone mentioned it).

Unfortunately, the guy running the project kinda disappeared... and I didn't feel up to continuing his work (I simply couldn't handle that much.. and he truly had the text under control)

I mostly added my knowledge of the books plus knowledge of editing to get a few things done.

I believe I was the only one with the latest version of the mod...

(unfortunately my computer crashed recently..)

It was very good and bugless.

If you need any assistance... I'm here.

we've moved. our new site is Westeros Total War Forums

everyone come by, voice your opinions, make suggestions, let us know how we're doing, and help if you can. thanks

renown we're still looking for help so if you want swing by and let us know what you can do and are willing to do, thanks mang.

Last edited by 5000; 03-06-2005 at 09:51.

Westeros is coming

Mediaeval Auctoriso Member Member Renown's Avatar

http://westerostw.us/phpbb/index.php

!!!!

Our forums are up. We have a highly dedicated and knowledgable mod team.

We are looking for a few more members and some modellers.

This mod is based off of George R.R. Martin's series, known as The Song of Ice and Fire.

Expect fantasy, and medevial combat. This, is Westeros: Total War.

Winter is coming.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast