Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quietus' Rome: Total War Guide

Question Re: Quietus' Rome: Total War Guide

i want to know what all special abilities do for example Rally troops.
    I really want to know them all

i want to know how i unlock new campaings? completing one of the roman campaings?
    And WTF is sap?

Default Re: Quietus' Rome: Total War Guide

Hello everybody. I've some queston. I wonna download patch1.3 for RTW, but i can't download it from your forum. Please HELP

Cool Re: Quietus' Rome: Total War Guide

Good guide by Quietus. Lots of Thanks for this information.

I'd really appreciate some help here. Brand new to the game and I know it's old hat to most of you but I can't understand the concept of a "turn". Does the game not progress on it's own? If not, when and why would someone initiate a turn, or end a turn? What happens if you don't end a turn, but just keep playing? Sorry if this is basic but I've never seen the concept explained anywhere.

Hi jcmcn5. RTW is not a "real time" game - it does not "progress on its own." This is a turn-based game. When you start the game, you'll see that the year is 270 BC, and it's Summer. Once you've moved everyone you want to move, built whatever you're building in the towns, made your diplomatic deals and fought any battles that come up, you click the hourglass in the lower right corner of the screen. When the game returns control to you it will be Winter, 270 BC. Turns are 6 months long, and don't end until you click the hourglass, which also leads to the start of the next turn after the game moves AI factions around. I hope this helps, and welcome to the Org . . .
    "Shoot it! With the gun! That's what the bullets are for, you twit!" ~Group Captain Lionel Mandrake

Etym, Thanks very much for the response. I wasn't expecting one so it's nice to see someone read it. So, if the idea is for me to not hit the turn link until I'm done making all my moves, then what constitutes the end of my move? If I'm playing a campaign against the computer, when do you decide to do so? Do any changes take place other than the advance of time, i.e., does the computer make it's own moves to counter what you've done?

Hi. When you end your turn, each AI faction (being everybody else) takes its turn. You can see some of their moves where the map is lighted. The lit-up map represents what your forces can "see" from where they are; the darker map portions are hidden by the "fog of war" (I believe you can turn fog-of-war off in the option menus, so you can always see everything).

Your move ends whenever you hit the hourglass - you decide when that is. I expect most players, like me, develop a routine or checklist so they don't forget to move or build some unit. When my checklist is complete, I end the turn. One "safety valve" you can use (because we all screw up sometimes, and beginners do so often) is to save your turn in stages. For example, after you check all your cities and queue up the buildings/units you want them working on that turn, save the game. When you make diplomatic deals with the AI factions, save again under a different name. I especially recommend saving just before you start battles, or even before you move your armies into contact with the enemy. That way, if you really want to attack that turn, but find that all your movement is used up just moving to the target, you can reload and try a different way. Similarly, if you screw up the battle itself, you can reload and try again, learning from your mistakes. Whether you refight the battles just for educational value or to improve your standing in the game is up to you (it IS just a game, after all).

So, the short answer is: after you're done, the AI will react to your moves and make moves furthering its own plans. You'll know you should click the hourglass when there's nothing left that you want to (or can) do in that turn.

Good Luck and Regards, ET
    "Shoot it! With the gun! That's what the bullets are for, you twit!" ~Group Captain Lionel Mandrake

Thanks very much Etym. Much appreciated

Its informative post it gives a lots of information related to topic also provide some more information related to topic.

Hey,

I'm having trouble setting my screen resolution on RTW via Quietus' guide. The guide says go to RTW>data>descr_auto_optimise_options.txt.
    I cant open my "data" file, I get a message that says "Cannot open the cabinet file" :/

I also cant set all factions as playable because I don't have a "world" file. The guild says to go to RTW>world>maps>campaign>imperial_ campaign>desc_str at.txt.

I realize that RTW is probably an old game now and not many ppl play it anymore or have much interest in it..... but I would appreciate your help very much :)

I have Windows 7 as an operating system, just fyi

Thanks!
    -General

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

descr_auto_optimise_options.txt should be in the data folder, not the data file. I don't use Windows 7, but I do hear that it has some strange "accessibility" settings that make modding difficult. Maybe that's the cause of the problems?
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Thx for the reply! My bro fixed it while he was messing around... we just got Win. 7 a few days ago. It is way better than Vista XD. We have all the factions listed as playable, we just need to adjust the screen resolution.

Regards,
    General

Question: what is a green spy/diplomat?
    Not a brutii i suppose, im the brutii

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hello oman, welcome to the .Org .

I am afraid this is the wrong place to ask that question: for general SP questions you should use the Colosseum. But since I am posting this anyway: the spy and diplomat are probably Gauls. The Gaul faction has a dark-green motif.

When you hoover the mouse-pointer over a character, army or structure, the tooltip will tell you who owns it.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123