Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Scythia

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default Scythia

you'd better find out before you address them
    Well, whatever you say, men better be contrite or they just might get their skull cracked by the head of an axe

And if you keep em back home well... they can always fight those random rebels that pop up
    And for Scythia, this is a great way to get experienced HA's to eventually send to the front. Scythian territory has more rebels than any other outside of Germania, from what I've observed (playing with fow disabled so I can watch how the AI handles the other factions). And with such large distances to cover, it's far easier to leave the axemen and foot archers at home. It's not too difficult to get a Legendary Cavalry general from chasing down brigands in Scythian country, though I'm sure those gals would prefer another amazon as leader instead of one of those ugly red-beards
    High Plains Drifter

Default Re: Scythia

Quote Originally Posted by IceWolf View Post
    What does XD mean?

Thanks Icewolf
    It's an emoticon for a devious smile lol. It's pretty common on Deviant art. I tend to use it a lot. Lol.
    "Hope is the Last to Die" Russian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    Well, whatever you say, men better be contrite or they just might get their skull cracked by the head of an axe

And for Scythia, this is a great way to get experienced HA's to eventually send to the front. Scythian territory has more rebels than any other outside of Germania, from what I've observed (playing with fow disabled so I can watch how the AI handles the other factions). And with such large distances to cover, it's far easier to leave the axemen and foot archers at home. It's not too difficult to get a Legendary Cavalry general from chasing down brigands in Scythian country, though I'm sure those gals would prefer another amazon as leader instead of one of those ugly red-beards
    Ha ha. XD Yeah. There certainly tends to be a lot of Rebels in Scythian land. Same with Parthia I hear.

The really large province, Tribus Alani, Campus Alani, I recently had a very bizarre issue.... XD I can't build watchtowers anywhere in the province! It's very bizarre. Am I really supposed to make some guy patrol that region every couple of turns? XD

Apparently the Greek writers said that a lot of the men in the North, (around Scythia) had orange-red-reddish hair. In the same description it mentions Amazon like warriors and such.... To be honest I've been surprised I've had so many orange haired Scythinans. XD It's fitting though.

Default Scythia

Am I really supposed to make some guy patrol that region every couple of turns?
    In my experience....yes. You'll eventually notice rebels pop up in just about the same places, so it's pretty easy to anticipate. The one place its' tricky to get at them is when they appear on the other side of the Volga in Maeotis province. I understand that the Volga is pretty wide when it gets close to the Black Sea, but there should've been a bridge much closer than having to go all the way up into Sarmatae. Once I build a port in Tanais, I just keep a single ship there and armies can board and then disembark without even having to move the fleet. Unfortunately for design purposes, the AI can't figure this out when it controls Scythia and wastes a lot of time sending a stack all the way up and around to get at a rebel stack.

I never worry about Tribus Alanni as I abandon it early on. Campus Alanni is too far from all the action and will eventually get to be a loyalty headache. I leave it to the Parthians to try and wrest it from the rebels. I do the same for Tribus Sarmatae. I use the troops from both of those provinces and take Chersonesos. Opens up the Black Sea trade routes and provides more income than both of the other provinces combined.

Had a very funny thing happen once, when I abandoned Campus Alanni. I never build a single thing there, not even roads. When the population reaches 2k (which happens pretty quickly), I disband the foot units, taking only the family member and the HA's, burn the place to the ground, and head for Chersonesos. One time, I must have really pissed somebody off as the resulting rebel stack followed me all the way to Tanais where I had to sally my army there and combine with those from Campus Alanni to defeat it. Only happened that one time so maybe they got their version of General Maximus......
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 06-26-2010 at 02:55.
    High Plains Drifter

Ah, alright. All sound advice. :D

Btw. I was thinking, for Scythia. Dogs might make an excellent counter to phalanx. Phalanx and spears, more so phalanx, is the bane of cavalry. But if the pikes are distracted with infantry.... and rabid hounds, then you could easily defeat the pikemen. Better opening a chance to out flank your opponent. Even possibly hitting them in the rear.

Default Scythia

Dogs??? You'll have all the great Mongol warriors-yet-to-be cursing your very name

Just kidding, of course. Dogs can be a pain in the a$$ to fight, so I suppose they can be useful. I never use them, personally. I prefer to make pin cushions of phalanx first before I run them over from the flanks and rear.
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    Dogs??? You'll have all the great Mongol warriors-yet-to-be cursing your very name

Just kidding, of course. Dogs can be a pain in the a$$ to fight, so I suppose they can be useful. I never use them, personally. I prefer to make pin cushions of phalanx first before I run them over from the flanks and rear.
    You have a valid point, but I ran into a battle where I had to make it come to blows. Lol. It was difficult to outflanck them with the tiny army I had. I did win though, and only lost 2 guys..... XD But the running and flanking issues were driving me nuts lol.

The dog's don't seem particuallrly factual to me. But they are available. And as a barbarian well.... might as well right? XD

but I ran into a battle where I had to make it come to blows.
    That's where the Scythian Nobles earn their keep. While you certainly don't want to be charging them into fresh formations, they have good enough A/D values to go over to melee after you've whittled your opponent down.

But the running and flanking issues were driving me nuts
    Get used to that, my friend.....that's what playing HA factions is all about

And IIRC, wardogs for any of the factions are fantasy units.....
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 06-28-2010 at 16:28.
    High Plains Drifter

Well you have a point. I've experienced more adjustments being needed in RTW than in MTW 2.

I know dogs are a fantasy unit lol. At least on any large scale.

Default Re: Sythia

As far as the Amazons go, I thought I read that they are hardcoded to win an autoresolved battle of up to 5:1 odds against them. Is that true? And as far as dogs go, I guess if you could get them behind the phalanx they would work, phalanx own dogs from the front.
    Last edited by Vincent Butler; 07-17-2014 at 19:10.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

Well: They are chariots with 14 melee/ ranged attack - so I suspect it is merely a function of the algorithm used (big, strong + chariot) rather than a specific hard-code. (I remember being flabbergasted when I first autoresolved a fight against chariots. Even in a city attack/ defence when if you fight it out in the streets you stop chariots dead (literally), you suffer huge casualties on autoresolve - I think I lost 300 men once in assaulting a Egyptian town that only had a single family member. - it might be in the last 10 years of my Gaulish campaign so if I spot it I'll write it in.)

Quote Originally Posted by weejonnie View Post
    Even in a city attack/ defence when if you fight it out in the streets you stop chariots dead (literally), you suffer huge casualties on autoresolve - I think I lost 300 men once in assaulting a Egyptian town that only had a single family member. - it might be in the last 10 years of my Gaulish campaign so if I spot it I'll write it in.)
    As Gaul, it is probably a good idea to try to engage Egypt in towns. You can stop their chariots using Warband, and can ambush their phalanx units using your Swordsmen. The AI is horrible in their use of phalanx. Engaging on stone walls if possible is even better.

The problem out in the field with barbarians is your units don't have the armour to withstand the scads of Pharaoh's Bowmen and other missile units, unless you use lots of Chosen Swordsmen. I have never had a Gallic campaign where I had the luxury to field large numbers of them. The Warband (and Forester Warband) are probably your best defense against chariots, with the large units of Warband and the range/attack of the Foresters. And your cav can't deal with the archers because their chariots will then wipe out your cav. I guess I would use my Foresters to deal with their archers and rely on my Warband in Guard mode to deal with their chariots. The problem is the low morale of the Warband.

Not that a barbarian campaign of mine has ever made it that far, I usually never even get all of Italy before I have to abandon the campaign due to finances, except for one British campaign where I had half the map and the Scipii had the other half (yes, they wiped out Egypt).

With Scythia, lots of missile troops to whittle down their chariots and archers. Maybe hire some Eastern Mercs to replace the Warband in my strategy, as your archers are good enough to deal with their archers, and can even do a lot of the hand-to-hand fighting.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112