Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Scythia

Default Re: Sythia

Can Scythia make Onagers? I've found that taking Parthia early is a good thing for u. Just rush into their northeastern territory and lay a siege. Wait it out and they'll sally out. WHen they're gone, expect no other foray from Parthia into your territory. They are simply too weak and dirt poor to attack ur northern cities.
    Last edited by m4rt14n; 12-12-2004 at 15:16.
    Why cant we just get along???

Quote Originally Posted by m4rt14n
    Can Scythia make Onagers? I've found that taking Parthia early is a good thing for u. Just rush into their northeastern territory and lay a siege. Wait it out and they'll sally out. WHen they're gone, expect no other foray from Parthia into your territory. They are simply too weak and dirt poor to attack ur northern cities.
    Yes, they can build onagers. But Parthia isn't in my mind to conquer. Too long distances.

Now i'am in front of Rom. I slaughtered every city to death on the way to Rom. Its a big money boost. But i like more to build up a good economy first before laying siege on an enemy. But Scythia is for rushing only. I have to play another "economy culture" like one of the roman factions after finishing this campaign :p.

Quote Originally Posted by tnt_73
    Yes, they can build onagers. But Parthia isn't in my mind to conquer. Too long distances.
    The beauty of it is that you don't really have to attack any Parthian city other than the one in the top-right corner of the map. After you take that, they don't seem very inclined to take it back and they tend to head South or West towards the Seleucids or Armenians for expansion anyway.

Even if they do come after you and try and take that city back, you'll see them coming a mile away (one of the blessings of Scythia's provinces being so vast!) and should be more than ready to repel the attack by the time it arrives.

After taking out that Parthian city, I found that I could focus my attention pretty much entirely on Western expansion and wars with the Greek factions.
    Last edited by Funky Phantom; 12-17-2004 at 20:57.

a few things i have to add in to the pile.

1. first thing i did was change my capital to Tanais... this is the most central, is the one that will most likely grow the fastest, prevents your starting cities from being too rebellious, and is least likely to be under threat anytime soon.

2. in both east and west the rivers provide natural barriers that you can exploit. a single unit of archers in a fort can certainly hold the enemy up as your cav redeploys
    (this is especially applicable near campus scithii... when a thracian army can just walk in and siege straight off.)
    if you so this there is no need to have a garrison in any of your cities of more than a couple of archers/axemen, and this is important since cash is hard to come by.

3. i siezed the northeast parthian city, then negotiated peace with everyone i could get at.
    then i moved all of my horse archers towards the west, split into 2 armies of about 4 HA and 1 light cav (in the NE i develped head hunting maidens, and they are excellent light cav... better than barbarians by some way)
    each with a general, and in a few short years of fighting the Dacians and Germanic peoples had gold chevron troops and 6*+ generals... which would come in handy when the massed forces of Parthia and Armenia came calling.

but when they did the forts at the fords meant these armies were bimbling around in a whole big area of naff all, and vulnerable to the fast, small cavalry raids... after a few turns of being smashed up like this, they saw sense, and paid through the nose for a ceasefire!

4. never leave your cavalry in towns if possible. your infantry can hold a few turns, and gold chevron cav is too valuable to lose in a siege of some pointless little germanic town...
    use the starting forces carefully, and you hardly need to sell map information at all!
    Last edited by mystic brew; 01-06-2005 at 10:52. Reason: more detail

I'm about to start my first Scythian campaign (just waiting to finish brutti campaign)

I decided to do some practising on custom games with the horse archers and noble archers against various armies.

Infantry is pretty easy to take down, but i'm still having a lot of trouble against cavalry. I've read various guides saying that ya gotta take of skirmish mode when approaching the red border and manually controll em. The problem is that when i issue them to start turning a bit and run, they stop for few seconds and then get munch by cavarly and then get routed most of the time. It seems that whenever i try manually change their running direction, they stop for an instant which allows pursuing cavaly to get close enough to knock some over.

I noticed that scythia have warhounds in custom games. They kinda work nicely in messing up cavalry lol

Quote Originally Posted by Vikings
    Dont think Scythians had anything to do with Amazons, is there any positive infos on books/records out there? If there was any, prob convert them more barbarian types compare to Xena but lost faith with the true God (Artemis).

-Vikings
    Herodotus refers to a Scythian tribe the Sauromatae (sound familiar) made up of the descendents of local Scythians and Amazonian survivors of the war that destroyed their people. The Amazons overpowered the crew of one of the three ships bearing them into captivity but being no sailors the winds and tide carried them north, where they landed.

They eventually got together with a group of the local men whose people they had been raiding in the meantime and they all went north to found their own tribe. Herodotus mentions one of their customs as being that the women cannot marry until they have killed a man in battle. (sound familiar once again)~p

There is also a mention of Hyperboria, apparently the people who lived in Hyperboria worshipped Artemis and would send gifts to the Temple of Artemis at Delos (the birthplace of Artemis). Though Herodotus doesn't connect the Hyperborians with the Amazonian descended tribe he mentions.

Member Member Claudius Maniacus Sextus's Avatar

Angry Re: Sythia

finaly managed to start a sarmatian campaign.
    i gave up my 2 E reg. to parthians hwo oferd me for aliance TR and map 1500den.(for 5 turns).conquerd crimea and after 4-5 turns armenia sends 3 smal army hwo DONT attack.and send emisseries to dacia and romans from hwo i get roughly 50K+ from alliance TR and map.after some econ. development thrace attacks.so i say:What the hell i dont really want N anyway,so i put all my forces on boat and send them into asia minor.so i start cap. the rebel halicarnasus,after that sardis.develop a couple of turns and then pontus attacks.i attack their less garisoned city's......first the one right next E to sardis the N one but i see the people of pontus conquer pergaum(which actually was the last city they had,made capital actualy,FULLy garrisoned with many Einf. and some CArc and Arc).so i went for their NR.1 town in pontus region.build there some chosen arc. and sarmatian noble archers for defense as their Pergamum garison sallys to liberate the cappadocian sieged settlement(i sieged it with only 4-5 HA).they manage to distroy my atacking army,soo retreat into taking the town in Gallatia but by then i prepeard an army full of chosen archers(for their few BUT deadly chariot archers) and schytian nobles archers.also had an diplomat for bribeing their BIG last army the pergamum garison hwo have comed after my cappadocian siegeing army.conquerd capadocia and after that pergamum.after that conquerd Rhodes since the greeks have only 2 prov.
    this is as far as i played.also got an alliance with egypt hwo seem to NOT manage to distroy the seleucids.WOW!!!i pray from the moment i have played RTW to not be distroyed the S. but it REALLY has happend in an BAD time.
    I must mention i have NEVER had less than 7k avreage in my treasurey,and won most of the battle with less than 10 losses(avrg.).Oh and remember about the landing of the armenia i gifted crimeea to them too(im such a good person ).Now im thinking of invading Egypt,but that would mean to have with the now "dangerous" seleucids.or erradicate the S. but face egypts Pharaoh Bowmen.I tell you Sarmatia is for the beg. because they realy SUCK n the end.i must mention a funny moment when 1 remaining generals cav.(4star) routed my 54 HA!!!!i must tell you the morale is unballanced.in real life armys RARELY routed.well i will tell you more as i conquer.
    ABSOLUT Orthodox Religious Fanatic
    "Ave Domini,Murituri Te Salutant''

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Default Scythia

merging for thread spelling
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Default Re: Scythia

wow Scythia is really unpopular, only 49 views ?!

well anyhow , don't bother taking the Partian settlement at teh upper right corner of the map, just make an alliance and keep a unit op peasants on the bridge bordering your settlemtn and theirs they won't attack and break the alliance if you do that.
    I went after the Thracians right form the start, HA really kill those falxmen , take the Thracian city's and if your lucky you can even make them your protectorate ( I was lucky )
    that will help your cash problem and help you build up your economy.
    I then captured the rebel provinces in the north, forgetting the Amazone's for the moment, however the Germans also wanted these provinces so they seiged both of my settlemtns in the north, I beat one and the other one vanished because of teh load-game bug I suppose. I the forgot about the Germans for the moment , they forgot about attacking me and we even made a ceasfire.
    try building your main troop building city's to mass produce your Scythian Noble archers, they are the elite unit, and will save your ass lot's off times.
    now you have to options , or 3 it depends on how rich you are, you can try and take armenia ( I did ) which is a long walk but It's rewarding and fun.
    you can try and destry the dacians ( Did that too ) that is probably the easiest so I would recommend that, and you have to destry them for your short campain ( which I was doing at teh time )
    your 3rd option is to take on the macadonians, which I would only do if I was really rich ( as in able to support large and many armys ) I didn't do that, was busy in armenia and west dacia , and I decided it was to early to get in to a war with a roman faction ( Brutii ) , and the Macadonians make a great buffer zone until you are able to support various grand army's

the Scythians are hard at the start, due to the large plains they have to cross and lack of money, but they are really fun to play especially if you like a chalange ( sp ?)
    I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

it sounds as if the scytians have pretty good units..
    i've decided they are going to be my next campaign (i haven't had a successful barbarian campaign yet!)

I recommend you try SPQR Scythia campaign. In my campaign I decided to attack Germanics and was doing fine. Then my Dacian allies decide to stab my back. I extorted money from Germanics by becoming a protectorate....you need money, use wits. Dacia would be so sorry as I marched into the basin and crushed their futile attempts. All through this punishment I had to tend to Parthian treachery, Armenian arrogance. This I finally managed and went for kill in Dacia. Now Macedon chose to take advantage by seiging one of my conquests. They send huge armies......only handfuls of survivors return home. I negotiate terms....usually PAY ME and continue to take Dacian cities. Germanics attack me again, I slaughter them and demand payment. Macedon attack over and over but now my armies can smell total conquest of Dacians and kill the Dacian King in last pathetic battle, their one remaining town rebels and is crushed next turn.
    I wanted to destroy Germanics but Macedon is becoming a thorn in my side. I might have to punish their treachery.
    SPQR has been more fun than v1.2 was

whats the SPQR mod do?
    what does SPQR stand for? (i've always wondered that) i guess r stands for rome and the s stands for senate?

SPQR Mod makes battle more realistic, unit speed and kill speed is slower. There are better unit skins for such as Scythian HA and many more and no silly dogs and screeching women. When I did normal campaign I met screechers every German battle now I meet Berserkers who are much tougher. I am finding this campaign much more realistic and less silly things happening.

SPQR .. I cannot remember is Latin I think but a search would find I think.

Macedon are looking poor shape, they may want to beg for pity or their time will be over but again like earlier I have attacks now from another faction. The Gauls have attacked, they seem to be strong faction, I think 3rd of all. we shall see.

Screeching women and wardogs were probably used on the rare occasion but none at all is probably better than every battle.. thanks!
    where can i find this mod?

SPQR means The Senate and Roman people
    It is beleived that the Latin is Senatus Populusque Romanorum.
    But others beleive it stands for Senatus Populusque Romanus.
    Last edited by Craterus; 03-28-2005 at 12:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch_guy
    wow Scythia is really unpopular, only 49 views ?!

That is some sort of forum glitch - I clearly recall Scythia having (at least) over 7000 views a couple of weeks ago. In fact, judging by the amount of replies, I would think it was one of the most popular civs to play. I have not played since before 1.2, but back in those days, Scythia was probably the easiest civ to rush with and one of the easiest to play with in general due to the sheer power of mounted missiles in R:TW. The Scythians were my first vh/vh (long) campaign and I won easily. But maybe things are different now...

Boulis

Scythia was probably the easiest civ to rush with and one of the easiest to play with in general due to the sheer power of mounted missiles in R:TW.
    That's a reason i would like to play as them. I love missile cav but it might be easy because I'm really experienced in strategies and battle methods using missile cav.

Is there a forum about the SPQR mod? I would like a bit more info.
    (sorry if this is spamming..)
    Last edited by Craterus; 03-28-2005 at 16:48.

Sytchia is a fun campaign, Horse Archer battles are a very diffrent experience compared to the other factions, you can wipe out entire armies without losing a single soldier, yet the battles can last a lot longer then non Horse Archer battles. Your worst enemies are archers & cavalry.

In my campaign (VH Campaign, H battles) I was on the back foot drom the beginning I had to fight a defensive war against Thrace Dacia & Germania for around 40 years, your starting cities will make no money for you at all, you'll barely have enough to survive, to get money you need to take the southern cities belonging to thrace & macedonia, but this will put you on a collision course with the romans, as they also go for those cities.

Unfortunately I had to give up my Scythian campaign because having too many archer units in a battle made my game lag beyond playability, does this happen to anyone else?

I know what you mean, I have many units of horse archers and can fight battles without losing any/many men at all.

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

The best part about Scythia is HAs with muster field!!

Early access to onagers and chosen archer bands makes them better than parthia and armenia IMHO.

You need to rush Thrace ASAP. You can sack Campus Getae easily though Tylis is a harder fight. (I first killed their faction leader and most of their army in their failed sally. Then, same turn, the rebel army sallied) The second battle was especially tough as there was one unit of cav that needed to die but it was guarded by bastarnae who are amazingly fast while running.

Focus on blazing a path straight down to Sparta and turn to smash Rome. There is no point in fighting Parthia, Dacia, or the poor rebel areas. Money is key and you get it by heading down south fast.

You don't need high tech levels so feel free to exterminate for cash.

Headhunting maidens are great antiarmor cav that can maul general units and protect your HAs. Too bad they take 2 turns and can't be retrained easily at the front. I tend to move solely towards noble archers later on.

what does IMHO stand for?

Head-hunting maidens? what are they, they sound like a cool unit?

IMHO = In my humble oppinion.

Head hunting maidens are female cavalry, they carry armor piercing axes.
    Sytchia is propably the only faction where you can field an all female army and kick ass with it..

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

They have better stats than desert cav one on one but lose to them due to the latter's greater numbers.

Headhunting Maidens are best at dealing a nasty shcok to heavily armored units by using their armor piercing axes. They can maul a cataphract unit. While perhaps losing in the end, they can effectively take a heavy cav unit out of commission during a battle. Use them in pairs or threes and you have a very good protection force for your HAs

Quote Originally Posted by Aimar78
    IMHO = In my humble oppinion.

Head hunting maidens are female cavalry, they carry armor piercing axes.
    Sytchia is propably the only faction where you can field an all female army and kick ass with it..
    If you had an army of screeching women against an army of peasants, you could kick ass lol... maybe not? I think a test is needed.

I always wondered what would be a good protection for missile cav ,like horse archers..

As Egyptians, I use Desert Cav to accompany my Chariot Archers

Angry Re: Scythia

i found these boring all it is horse archers and rubbish foot soldiers i found these really boring .
    "Do you have blacks, too?" —to Brazilian President Fernando Cardoso, Washington, D.C., Nov. 8, 2001
    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004
    "I want you to know. Karyn is with us. A West Texas girl, just like me."
    —Nashville, Tenn., May 27, 2004

how stupid george bush is !

i find missle calvary boring
    Craterus i think its more fun playing hand to hand fighting not shoting missles to destroy or rout an army
    "Do you have blacks, too?" —to Brazilian President Fernando Cardoso, Washington, D.C., Nov. 8, 2001
    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

Aimar78 head hunting maidens arent that great stop monaing on about them

and craterus screeching woman have heavy weapons and are stronger than peasants

a good protection for missle calvary is any other strong and fast cavalry

Quote Originally Posted by littlegannon
    i find missle calvary boring
    Craterus i think its more fun playing hand to hand fighting not shoting missles to destroy or rout an army
    It's a nice tactic and I'm sure it would beat your infantry-based army if you tried to fight my missile-cav based army. But you never know mate?

i no but i just find it more exciting if u have infrantry and calvary fighting rather than just missle calvary

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast