Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Scythia

Default Re: Scythia

Quote Originally Posted by littlegannon
    i no but i just find it more exciting if u have infrantry and calvary fighting rather than just missle calvary
    yea, i know what you mean..
    i'm not great at commanding infantry which is why i tend to sway to the side of cavalry.. after all, i'm a great cavalry commander! i remember once, i managed to rout almost a whole Julii army using two Spanish generals.. I bet you can just imagine the battle. And I bet you can imagine my talent and skill as a cavalry commander..

I guess this is why i like to play as the Scythians (good cavalry) but I don't enjoy the playing as the Romans (no cavalry)..

i am suprior infrantry commander i am a great commander all over but infrantry is my stong point i no strong points were to hit and am a great infrantry commander
    "Do you have blacks, too?" —to Brazilian President Fernando Cardoso, Washington, D.C., Nov. 8, 2001
    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004
    "I want you to know. Karyn is with us. A West Texas girl, just like me."
    —Nashville, Tenn., May 27, 2004

how stupid george bush is !

I'm sure you favour the Romans and other infantry based factions like Barbarian factions who have good heavy infantry..

I bet you hate factions like Parthia and Armenia where their best infantry troops are Eastern Infantry.

actually i like arminea but i aint a fan of parthia i like arminea because of the catphracts.i dont like teh romans that much they are there infrantry are boring i like germinia and thrace are pretty kwl.scythian nobles are amazing they are amzing and are the and the later babarian warlord.
    "Do you have blacks, too?" —to Brazilian President Fernando Cardoso, Washington, D.C., Nov. 8, 2001
    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

Quote Originally Posted by littlegannon
    actually i like arminea but i aint a fan of parthia i like arminea because of the catphracts.i dont like teh romans that much they are there infrantry are boring i like germinia and thrace are pretty kwl.scythian nobles are amazing they are amzing and are the and the later babarian warlord.
    Parthia have cataphracts too. I bet you have never even had a campaign with the Parthians, otherwise you would know about Parthian Cataphracts.

i have i took loads of the world and i did well but i still didnt enjoy them

Parthia are similar to Scythia but I think Scythia are stronger because of their superior infantry units, although Scythia dont have cataphracts.. or cataphract archers

na i think sytia are alot better there noble horsemen are amzing and late genreals are 2

I said Scythia are a stronger, please re-read my post for clarification.
    I'm aware that their noble horsemen are an amazing unit.. of course they are!

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

I started a Scythian campaign (h/h, large, long), this time with patch 1.2. Scythians are funny to play. In the beginning you have nothing but archers (mounted and unmounted). After playing Germania this is very strange. They remember me of red indians, comanches or so.

I attacked the town sout of my headquarter at once and managed to take the town in the second round. My archers killed more than half of the garrison before I even entered the town. I also fought a battle with one mounted bowman unit against 5 infantry units (heavy falxmen, hoplites, javelins. I run around them and killed more than the half, loosing just a few horses.

Now the bad news. I have two problems.

1. When the armies are getting bigger (5 horse archers against 8 enemy units) the battle field is just to small to avoid close contact. This is even worse when the enemy has cavalry, too.

2. The enemy has a lot of family members with their guards. I can easily kill all their infantry but if their army has enough heavy cavs with some mounted javs the it is my turn to bleed.

3. In this new patch I am not able to retreat my units from the battle ground. This doesn't seem to be very realistic. Cav should be able to break off a battle whenever they like to.

Can anybody help me?

Not had any trouble in my current Scythia game (M/M).
    Militia Cavalry can be a pain in the arse, since Skirmish doesn't kick in until long after Javelins are sticking from your HA's corpses. Since your units have longer range, try micro-managing your HAs to run away whenever the Militia Cav get in range. It's annoying, but often the only thing you'll have to do in a battle anyway, so I can live with it.

Family members can do a great deal of damage to your precious units, so use your speed advantage and gang up on them. It may take a little while for them to start dying, but soon enough they'll be dropping like flies.

As for not being able to retreat... not sure what's going on there.
    A couple of times my HAs have run out of arrows (usually while shooting those damn Peltasts) and I've been able to withdraw them from the battle without any problems.

Answer to HA use is to not rely on skirmish mode, always know where your units are and what they face. Cannot say enemy cav is too much threat, they will isolate themselves from their army and become easy pickings.

Thank you for your advices!

I tried again. It is getting better but still not good.

One problem with Scythia is that it is incredible big and it takes ages to collect your armies. So I took all my troops from my capitol (yes, I didn’t leave a single unit!). I attacked Camp Geten at once. I besieged it at the first round and took it at the second one. You call this to ‘katank’ your enemy. It worked very well. I killed 50% of the enemy before entering the city. All their infantry was crushed. Only the family member with his guard stood at the market place. I advanced my archers and fired on him. He attacked them and my chief had to support them. I killed him and took the town. However, my chief’s guard had some losses.

In parallel I sent the other troops to my southwestern frontier. One tribe was sent to Crimea which I besieged but not attacked. I Camp Allani I left peasants and one unit of archers. Later I built horse archers here to observe the Parthians. They came and they left again. I didn’t invest any money in Camp Allani or Camp Sarmat. I tried to build harbors as soon as possible at the coastal cities.

After the success at Camp Geten I marched to the Thracian capitol. First I had to fight an army that wanted to take Geten back. They had infantry + general and I had three horse archers and chief. Ratio was 2 : 1. I attacked and so AI was very passive. (This must be a buck!!). I shot at their line, their general made a breakout, chased one of my horse units while the other ones shot at his rear. Unfortunately he caught one unit and I lost some 50 horses. He had some losses and returned to his main army. I shoot at every unit that tried to approach me and esp. at the general, when he was in reach. This was demoralizing to them and after heavy losses they started to withdraw. Now my heavy cav attacked their general and killed him. In totally they lost 500, I lost 50.

I built a fortress at the river and controlled now my new province. I moved forward to their capitol, but I had to stop besieging them two times because of big armies in my back I had to deal with first. In one of these battles I killed a third family member. Both battles were very successful. I killed 10 times as much enemies than I lost myself. I also had a small battle where I had twice as much soldiers and this was a massacre. Losses 1 : 100!

After these victories the Armenians and Germanians allied with me and the Dacians and Parthians didn’t dare to attack!!

After my army was refilled, another army arrived from Crimea. I had to wait one turn because of two Dacian armies near my capitol. They disappeared again and I attacked the capitol for the third time. I had one army in the south and one in the north each led by a 4 star chief. The gate was open and I attacked at once. I led the south army, the computer the northern one. The northern army was horse archers only. Very soon I received news from them: gate conquered, chief killed, army took flight. My army was doing better. The enemy was hiding until I entered the town. I killed many enemies with arrows. My general and one barb cav tried to secure the archers. However, my general was attacked by horse javelins and he was killed at the first shot. My general’s cav and my barb cav were caught into close combat and so I had only archers left (2 foot 4 mounted). Foot archers are very effective in killing but vulnerable. Horse archers are not very effective but can withdraw easily. At the end of the battle each side had lost some 75%. I had not been able to conquer the city (time!). Now I gather my troops in my fort wait for reinforcements and attack again. Time is running away. I now that Thracia has still a second town I have to conquer. Hope next time I can report some progress.

I made it, Tylis is mine.

I started to besiege the town once again. Next turn I was attacked by a Thracian army coming from outside (500men, no general, only some jav horses). The garisson (500men with two generals) didn't dare to join the attack. So my units (1 chief, 4 bowmen, 1 phalanx and 6 horse archers in total 1000men and 600 horses) had no problems. Silly Thracian attacked even though they were outnumbered. Tried to hide behind shields and armors. My arrows made them die like flies. I lost 6 men, they lost more than 400!!

Even though the Dracian send two armies (only three units each) to threaden Geten and Sctythi I now attacked Tylis. I used the phalanx as a shiel in front of my archers. 4 units of archers made uge demage in the rows of the Thracian falxmen. They even killed one general. However, the falxmen finally succeeded in killing the phalanx _ their attack was stopped by my archers. The last Thraccian general tried to defend the centre. My archers weakened him and my chief killed the running rest. Unfortunatelly, my chief died in this last attack.

I killed everone inside the town. Now I am filling my army again and will then go for Byzantium. I will also attack the Dacians. Looks like our gods send them to feed our arrows.

Franconicus,
    First congratulations for your victory but I am concerned because you make report another Warlord dies. Your Warlord gains his stars and influence and becomes 'conquering hero' and such but you must at first look after his safety. When units rout and run it is better to chase them off with HA as shot in back will kill many, also if your Warlord is too close when HA are shooting enemy they will possibly shoot him too, so beware of this. Try if possible to keep a unit by him, perhaps barbarian cav and by this you have chance to double any unit that manage to attack your Warlord. By what you describe it will not be long before Macedonian army try to steal your new land. They look tough but are little more than targets for your HA

In my SPQR v1.0 campaign I now hold 38 regions and I destroyed Dacia, Macedon and Greece ( Thrace is not represented ) I am almost done crushing Germanic but Brutii made attack to my southern flank. I dealt with them severely and they lost many men and 3 regions they once held. Last night Julii have decide to confront my forward armies, thinking I am too busy with Germanic. My army of 500 were outnumbered 3-1 and they also had 293 man reinforcement and I was unable to withdraw. My army was 3 archers 2 axemen 2 barbarian cav my Warlord and the rest was HA. It was long and hard and casualties were high but I was victorious and Julii now know to fear HA

Thanks Hun, good advice!

I know how wealthy the family members are and I am very concerned that I lost 3 of them to conquer one town.

In the first battle I lost two four star generals. I attacked with two armies and one was controlled by the computer. This general was killed almost immidiatelly. I attacked with my second army and the General was doing nothing but secure my left flank. Some horese javelins attacked. I made them withdraw and lost only one - the general.

The last one was a rookie without experience. Due to the complete lack of any non archer unit I wanted to use him to clear the city centre as all enemies were running. I also thought this could give him some personal kills. Obviously this was a mistake.

Let the Macedonians come. With an army of four bowmen and 6 HA units I am willing to mess with any army on plain ground. And I want to raid Greece anyway. So the more I can kill before they hide in their Polis the better.

Your campaigne sounds very promising. Seems that you almost made it. Go and teach the Romans your lesson. Make Rome a meadow for your horses!!

Hehe! Yes you go slaughter Macedonian armies. They nasty black banner is all they have and your HA will make fools of them and the phalanx, same with Greece.

I think Julii will wonder now what to do I am hoping because I want to finish Germanic for good, they have resisted too long because of others attcking me.

I must tell you untick box for AI manage of reserves, control them yourself AI will kill your Warlord everytime by charging to his death.

You are right! You can unlock the computer control of the reinforcements! Is this new in the patched version?

Last night I played for just half an hour. I attacked the two Dacian spearhead armies. In total I killed 350 men and lost 6 (first appearance of my axemen). However, 300 managed to escape! I couldn’t stop them with my HA. The good news is that after the 2nd battle one captain was affiliated in the family!! Now I have 5 chiefs, again.

Let’s go south!

Heya all, i'm pretty new to these forums, but I've been playing RTW for some months now. Just into my first twenty turns of Scythia, guess I screwed up because I didn't rush. Began by spending everything on economic improvements (roads, ports, and the like) while my four armies went all over the place. Campus Getae is a nightmare, I can't leave it (despite having conquered it in turn 3) because it revolts the instant I step away from the gates. As a result my Campus Scythii army is bogged down there until I scrape together enough money to build a sacred grove of papay. Can anyone tell me if a ~2000 denarii net gain every turn is considered good for Scythia that only includes the steppe provinces?
    On a side note, I find that my horse archers have a knack for charging at the enemy instead of opening fire whenever I doubleclick on them. I was fighting a sally from Campus Sakae, 3 HA, my heir, 2 archers, against 8 HA, 2 EI and 1 Peasant (god knows why) and I discovered to my horror that one of my HA had charged the enemy HA that sallied out and was slaughtered to a man. Anyone experience that before? Won it, in the end, but that HA unit was not expendable. Does it have anything to do with my setting ammunition to unlimited (yeah, well, that was a strange thing to do, but I did it anyway.) Or is it just because I'm a bad general, since I normally play with balanced but infantry-heavy armies? :-P
    Oh, whoever said fighting Macedonia was easy? My Scythian friend (in the same school) got utterly trashed by a Macedonian army of 5 phalanxes and 7 light lancers (and general, too). Exhausted horse archers are troublesome to control. >.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Ave Pezhetairoi (what an unusual name),

good to have you here!

Operating HA in skirmish mode it happens that they are caught in close combat:

- when they retreat, thy move to the edge of the battlefield (they always do), but they do not leave; so they get trapped;

- they always concentrate on the on unit they are firing on; if another unit approches, they ignore it until they are attacked

- I had a battle were the enemy (Thracian) had one unit of mounted javs. I sent them one HA and didn't care about them any longer. I thought that the HA could easily deal with javs because of their longer range and maybe higher fire frequency. I was badly surprised when they were caught in close combat almöst immidiately and killed soon. Looks like the lavs are much faster and do not bother with throwing their javs.

Looks like Scythia is still very popular. To me it is still an unsolved problem. But several veterans are currently posting, so maybe they can help me find the “right” strategy.

I am playing on hard / hard with large units.

Here some basic questions:

- What to do with the Parthians? Ignore (then they will attack you sooner or later), attack (then your Alanni army will be sitting in the wrong corner) or block them with a fortress (then you have to invest 500 dinarii).

- Crimea: I used to attack it with my Tangisian army. Is it better to move this army east and leave Crimea to the Alanni army?

- Rebel towns: I didn’t attack them because I thought it was a waste of time. Do you have other experience?

- Campus Scythii: I always attacked Campus Getae. Thracia was my first joice because Getae is dangerously close, conquering Thracia helps to increase sea trade and it opens the way to the gold chambers of Greece. Maybe it is better to attack Tylis first? Do you have other suggestions?

- Field battles: In the beginning you have only archers (foot & horse). You do not have money to build new troops, so you have to rely on the ones you have. I had some big hits and some disasters. Enemy’s cav is always reason for trouble. Co-operation between HA and foot archers doesn’t work. How do you protect your foot archers?

- Towns: Do you attack them? What is your tactic?

- What is your building strategy?

- How do you make money?

I am looking forward to your suggestions!!

Hello again.
    Do not attack Parthia, they will in general ignore you and trade. If they attack they most often cannot sustain as they have other fronts to worry over and will ask for ceasefire. This is when you make money
    Make counter proposal that they pay you, demand 7000 denarii and tribute of 1500 for 6 turns, they will often suggest amounts in your favour. Any amount is better than no amount yes? This is true when ever a diplomat comes calling, demand money in the usual Steppe tradition.

I leave my archer warbands as garrison and use HA as fighting force. when I can afford I will hire mercenary HA as they are good for cheap cost. Let your Warlords gain experience with killing rebel armies and when the time comes to crush Thrace their slow armies will fall fast. Thrace are same as Macedon and Greece, they are untrustworthy and will stab your back when you do not look. Because of HA armies I lay seige and wait, the enemy is forced to sally or surrender. This takes time but it does work.

Use conquered towns and cities to train better troops and spend little on your own start towns, your people are from the Steppe and endure much hardship.

When you defeat each town you slaughter all inside, this is how you make money, you do things the Steppe way.

So I recap, when ever you get chance demand money. You spend money on more HA. When you conquer you kill all.

Later you will own armies with axemen who can form infantry back up for archer warband but always think HA as main part of the army.

Taking Crimea allows good trade route. I hope this will help.

Pezhetairoi,
    You must not rely on skirmish mode keep watch to your HA, even Romans will cut them down with pila because spear range is quite big in RTW so always know what they are doing.
    About the 7 light lancer army, how many HA fought these. I use HA to draw out enemy cav and then gang up on them, light lancers die fast when you shoot their backs and remember HA can fight as well as shoot but 2 on 1 is the answer here, 1 attacking from rear. It is always better to kill with arrows though and a watchful eye will keep your HA out of trouble. Move them yourself, just before they skirmish so you send them to right directions and that way you keep control.
    I met many huge Macedonian armies, each time they have many phalanx and roaming cav and I have my HA. I keep my HA together and wait for the cav attacks and pick them off. When they have no cav left is when my HA split up to deal with phalanx.

In my campaign I now have 47 regions and I have made camp overlooking Rome. Germanic are dead and Britons tried to attack but suffered at the hands of my faction heir. The fight for Rome is going to be very hard, the Julii have many big armies ( but I have 2 of their eagles ) and the Senate has 2 huge armies of Praetorian guards and Praetorian cav.
    Last edited by The Hun; 04-11-2005 at 17:05.

I hear people talking about Crimea?? What is that ???

Quote Originally Posted by Craterus
    I hear people talking about Crimea?? What is that ???
    The Crimea is the peninsula in the Black Sea on which lies the city of Chersonesos. In-game it is called Bosphorus, probably after Regnum Bosphori. Nowadays it is part of the Ukraine.

Whahooo! Fiftieth post!

Damn I'm slow...

Smile Re: Scythia

[QUOTE=The Hun]
    About the 7 light lancer army, how many HA fought these. I use HA to draw out enemy cav and then gang up on them, light lancers die fast when you shoot their backs and remember HA can fight as well as shoot but 2 on 1 is the answer here, 1 attacking from rear. It is always better to kill with arrows though and a watchful eye will keep your HA out of trouble. Move them yourself, just before they skirmish so you send them to right directions and that way you keep control.
    QUOTE]

I see... O_O Apparently my friend was fighting that army with just what he started with in Campus Scythii.

Gah, skirmish doesn't work, eh. Lots of pausing in the works, then. I used to hate pausing, priding myself on managing the whole battle in realtime. Oh well. guess that's got to change. Hmm. So that's why my Vicus Venedae fight didn't go so well...

Ahhh well, I happen to have been very naughty with Parthia, Campus Sakae was taken so I'm at war with them, and I'm still wondering if I should bring my Alanni army west to reinforce the Germanic front, or to go into Parthia/Armenia... Are ports at Alanni and Sakae any use?

Mmm, Franconicus, for what it counts, my opening strategy was to use my Sarmatae army (reinforced with 2 HA units) to strike west to Vicus Venedae while my Scythii army hit Getae, my Tanais army hit Chersonesos, and my Alanni army hit Sakae for the sake of territorial consolidation. Of course, I'd built peasants in every village so I could pull out every single unit I had without worrying about order. I'd planned to hit Tylis immediately after that, and Locus Gepidae (that stupid village we known as Domus Dulcis Domus, which, for god's sakes, means 'Home Sweet Home' in Latin). But of course, Tylis is not attainable since Getae is on the brink of revolt. Naturally I decided I wanted the Greek peninsula, am working towards that now, as soon as I pacify Getae and my Chersonesos army arrives at Getae to reinforce my army. A lot of movement, but only four battles so far, all of them siege/sally battles.

My building strategy was really to just pile up on as many traders and ports as I can. I'm still in the starting period of the game, but I can safely say practice ranges will come next so I can train archer warbands. Their flaming arrows are really useful when stopping enemies from leaving their gates in sally battles.

Diplomacy wise... I seem incredibly unlucky, because every time I try selling map info, not only do I get tribute demanded of me instead of an offer of money, but demanding money is hopeless. Sigh. All I've gotten is trade agreements with my neighbours, but not alliances, or tribute. Top on the list of those who've offended me is Macedon. They will die after I've used Thracde to wipe the floor with.

Oh and Franconicus, pezhetairoi = Macedonian pikeman :-D I used to be a very good Macedon player (albeit heavily reliant in mercenaries in Scythia :-D) and I'm still living in the dream of becoming a second Alex the Great, so.

Oooh. Long reply. Why do you guys get pictures of Roman generals while all I can choose is one of barbarian diplomats? Not fair! ;-P

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Skirmish does work but units not all go in safest direction and can get trapped with map edge and such.

I would expect Parthia to soon ask for ceasefire. Demand payment and tribute. I must be plain, you not always get tribute but demand all the same. When diplomats ask for trade you say for sure but first pay me

I own 50 regions now but Senate have more than I first saw, at least 4 armies over 20 unit strong all Praetorian with gold upgrade. They are unstoppable. I killed 1100 and lost the battle as they killed 1700. My arrows bounce off and my axes too. It will be very hard these last battles.
    Last edited by The Hun; 04-12-2005 at 16:19.

Something about siege tactics(good when playing factions with weak infantry)
    In my opinion the best way to take the castle with minnimum casualities is to besiege it with an army smaller then defenders have provoking them to attack.
    For example in my scythia campaign which I'm playing now I besieged Corinth with one "silver" exp general and one unexperienced while enemy (macedonians) had 3 pikemen units 1 light cav and general- so they decided they are stronger and attacked .
    While pikemen went through one gate enemy's cav went through another so I dealt with them first (Tactics: when enemy charges my cav (which proveked him to do this) it reatreats while my other cav unit cahrges enemy,so the enemy looses charge bonus)The main thing was to kill enemy general to lower enemy's morale.So I've made both enemy cav units flee.
    Then it was easy enough with pikeman: while one cav attracted attantion of pikemen another charged it from the back( of course it's better to use more exp cav for charging).
    Finally when all (if enemy's cav returnes you can drive it routing again easily)
    of enemies are routing you'll have a message which will ask if you want to continie battle or to end it.So choose to end it.VICTORY the castle is yours.
    Resume: with minimal casualities you take enemy town and destroy his good Army in ONE turn.Of course later it's better to garrison town with more troops so it won't revolt.

Is there any way to avoid corruption?

Thanks for the replies. I love this forum.

Pezhetairoi, does it pay to send an army north in to the barbarian region (Vicus Venedae and DDD)? I always tried to concentrate all my troops to one decisive campain.

Based on your feedback I tried again with an improved strategy. Focus is the invasion of Thracia. This is my first target because it is dangerously close and if I have it I have good access to the sea trade and I have a base to invade Greece (=more money).

These are my initial moves:

Alanni: I send all my HA to Crimea. My chief builds two fortresses against the Parthians and then follows the HA. The foot archers go into the forts.

Tangis: They all march directly to Scythii, to reinforce the expedition forces.

Sarmantae: The two archers go to Scythii two to reinforce the garrison in the capitol and in Getae.

Scythii: I send the spy into Getae. My horse archers and my big chief march to a position southwest of it. Here they wait what happens.

Thracian moved three infantry units from Getae to Scythia. My cav attacked them and killed them without a loss. I now besieged Getae . My foot archers came too together with a new family member. I attacked the town. Infantry was easily killed. Their heir defended the centre. I fired on him from different sides but nothing happened. I placed my big chief in his rear and the other family member in front of him and attacked. I killed him but I lost my fam member and some HA and FA. I enslaved the town.

Now I the Thracian offered peace and gave me money. I accepted and was now able to produce 4 barb cav units. They really helped me much. With this army I invaded Thracia again. (Why not?) They had an army going westward to Macedonian. I killed them. Then I attacked another army south of Tylis. My new army was a combination of my Scythian and Tangisian army plus 4 barb cavs. In total 7 HA, 4 barbs and two chiefs. This is a deadly combination. The archers weaken the enemy, the barbs protect them and finish the game. Only problem is that I cannot refill the units. I am too far from home and I have no money. After killing all the field armies I besieged their capitol. It was defended by three family members and lots of infantry (javelins most) and HJ. They finally attacked me. I killed everyone and took the town. Thracia is history. I killed everyone. I refilled my army and I am looking now for Byzantium, which is rebel owned.

In the East I besieged Crimea and took it without fight. The Parthians came and besieged my fortress. They attacked it two turns later and killed the garrison (peasants). Four turns later they besieged Alanni. I had two FA and 3 peasant units here. They attacked with one peasant and 8 HA. I made a big mistake. I placed my archers at the wrong gate!! So they broke the door and could enter the town. I killed many of them but in the end I had to surrender. Now I have to build an army to cover my eastern flank.

Politics: I tried to get as much money as I could get. I allied with Macedonia, Brutii, Julii and Senate. They all have nice towns and I’d love to see them burn.

What do you think about this??

Quote Originally Posted by IliaDN
    Is there any way to avoid corruption?
    IliaDN,

yes, kill them all. (Just kidding). I think it helps to have a familiy member there (watch their peronal abilities). Maybe it helps to have the capitol close. See http://bbb.unknownnet.com/rtw/bestcap.htm

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast