Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Discussion and Announcements

Default Problems...............

Why are the GCS so weak, DBH?

Default Re: Extended Greek Mod

Miloshus: That error is pretty common if you still have the wrong version of the game intalled. Unfortunately the patching process doesn't always work correctly. Check the options screen to see which version you have (should be in the top right corner of the screen).

Cesare diBorja: At the start of the campaign you mean? Historically the GCS were very weak at that point in time. They were dominated by Macedon, and although they made several attempts to break Macedonian control of of mainland Greece, all failed until the Romans finally broke Macedonian power. Then they were dominated by the Romans.

Wink Re: Extended Greek Mod

Cesare,

In my campaigns, playing the Macedonian faction, The Greek states usually break their complete (trade and joint access) alliance with me and attack Larissa (not Corinth) by the summer of 276 BC. By that time, they (the Greeks) have trained up enough troops to make the project of returning them to their rooms without supper a costly and thankless task. (I just took a few screenshots of a really nasty pitched battle tonight near Athens where my Macedonians terminated Antigonus of Sparta with a decently equal number of Spartans and Greeks - not easy to do).

When playing the Greek Cities themselves, I've found that the double alliance with Macedon and the Seleucid Greeks can be sustained deep into the 760's, giving the Greek cities ample time to expand and grow. Although Independent Rebel Greeks (the Brutii) begin at war with the main Cities faction, they're spread seemingly all over the map and pose no greate threat to the GC. If you play the diplomacy with them carefully, your allies will deal with them where they might wish to deal harshy with you (Asia), and their own problems with the Romans in their centre (Italy and Sicily) will have them accepting an alliance with you by the late 270's.

The earlier version of XGM that I was playing over the summer had weaker versions of Macedon and the GCS in an Assured-Mutual-Elimination War with the GCS pursuing defense in Tarentum and Pergamum as well as Greece. XGM 4.xx is a huge improvement over that!

That reminds me, DBHo,

Since the posts in this thread (and my posts in particular) sometimes pitch into the topic of XGM-strategy and tactics, instead of XGM-modding and tech issues, don't you think it would be cool to have a separate thread for "in-play" XGM strategies?

Btw, I've been playing around with faction-based hidden resources, (things like Syracusan elite hoplites for factions controlling Sicily and South Italy and (forbidden) Macedonian Cavalry to the GCS if or when they conquer cities within the Macedonian sphere of cultural settlement).

XGM version 4.1.21 is now available for download.

You can get it here.
    You can see the readme here.

The major changes are:

XGM Version 4.1.21

-Rebalanced "Seige of Sparta" historic battle
    -Minor bug fixes

XGM Version 4.1.20 (beta version)

-Loyalty activated for Carthage
    -Numidia converted to Carthage rebel faction
    -Carthage and Numidia unit rosters merged
    -Added install option to make Seleucid rebels playable as Baktria
    -Added install option to reduce AI economic bonuses
    -Added scripts to spawn extra stacks when cities rebel to rebel factions

If you have trouble reaching TWC then you can also take a look here.

Quote Originally Posted by Agathon
    Since the posts in this thread (and my posts in particular) sometimes pitch into the topic of XGM-strategy and tactics, instead of XGM-modding and tech issues, don't you think it would be cool to have a separate thread for "in-play" XGM strategies?
    Sounds good to me.
    Btw, I've been playing around with faction-based hidden resources, (things like Syracusan elite hoplites for factions controlling Sicily and South Italy and (forbidden) Macedonian Cavalry to the GCS if or when they conquer cities within the Macedonian sphere of cultural settlement).
    Opinion seems to differ a lot on regional units. Some people want lots of them, others find it a nuisance to have all these units that need to be shipped home for retraining. For some reason I don't get the same complaints about the mercenary AOR units though. Maybe people view it as a bonus that they can retrain mercenary type units at all. :)

Anyway, my approach has been to pile on the mercenary AOR units in abundance, while trying to limit the number of other regional units.

Default Re: epic stone walls?

Hi, i love your mod. But i do miss having epic stone walls, is there anyway i can make them available again?

Default Re: epic stone walls?

Quote Originally Posted by wisefather
    Hi, i love your mod. But i do miss having epic stone walls, is there anyway i can make them available again?
    Try deleting [rome]/xgm/data/descr_walls.txt. You will also have to remove the nobuild requirement from export_descr_buildings.txt.

Default Thanks! one more question?

Thank you!

it works like a charm, i've finally got my walls back ^^

Just one more quick question, it's about the new set of skins for the romans in your mod? is there a new skin for the urban cohorts? and if so, is there anyway to make them available to recruit with there new skins, I'm dying to see!!!

XGM version 4.1.22 is now available for download.

You can get it here.

The only changes are minor bug fixes. I fixed an issue with the Carthaginian peltasts, and a couple of issues with the Modding Legion units. Modding is likely to remain slow for a while but will still continue. :)

wisefather: There is a Modding Legions skin for Urban Cohorts, but XGM uses the Early Legionary skin instead (because Urbans are supposed to be a garrison unit). You can download the Modding legions pack and install it manually if you want to.

Ok thanks :)

The download links all apear broken.
    Help?

The new download addresses can be found at www.wmwiki.com/hosted/xgm
    The best is yet to come.
    ZX MiniMod: Where MTW meets AOE
    https://www.wmwiki.com/hosted/ZxMod.exe
    Now on beta 3 with playable golden horde!

Is it possible to use the 4tpy mod with XGM? If so, where could I find it,and how would I get it implemented?

Thx in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Is it possible to use the 4tpy mod with XGM? If so, where could I find it,and how would I get it implemented?

Thx in advance!
    Unfortunately there is no easy way to combine the two.

XGM version 4.1.24 is now available for download.

You can get it here.

The major changes are:

XGM Version 4.1.24

-Added new victory conditions for most factions
    -Added "Force Diplomacy" script

XGM Version 4.1.23

-Added script to spawn garrisons when rebel faction replaces parent faction

Force Diplomacy: This allows you to force any faction to accept any diplomatic offer you make to them. You can access this by clicking on the help button on the diplomacy scroll (the questionmark in the top right corner) and then clicking on the "show me how" button when the advisor comes up.

This option is included so that you can correct for certain weaknesses in the AI. Here are some suggestions for how this option can be used to make the game more realistic and more interesting:

(1) The AI doesn't know when it's beaten. You can use this option to force a faction to accept a ceasefire or protectorate status when they have been beaten down to the point where you could crush them easily. My own house rule is that I can use this option when a faction has been reduced to three regions, I have their capital under siege, and I have enough forces available to crush them easily within a few turns.

(2) The AI often doesn't know a good deal when it sees one. You can use this option to force the AI to accept an offer that is clearly to their advantage.

(3) The AI won't keep an alliance, even with a reliable ally, and even when breaking the alliance would be foolish. If you want to role play a lasting alliance, you can use this option to keep the AI from staring wars that don't make any sense.

If you do use this option it is a good idea to come up with sensible house rules, at the start of your campaign, that govern how and when you can use it. Your game will be a lot less fun if you use this option as a cheat to make the game easier.

Excellent. I am for sure going to download this. I liked the version I had earlier, I forget which version.

Version 1.25 is available at www.wmwiki.com/hosted/xgm

Simplified faction objectives are available at www.wmwiki.com/hosted/xgm/xgmwinconditions.zip
    The best is yet to come.
    ZX MiniMod: Where MTW meets AOE
    https://www.wmwiki.com/hosted/ZxMod.exe
    Now on beta 3 with playable golden horde!

XGM version 4.1.26 is now available for download.

You can get it here.

The major changes are:

-Changed Heavy Peltasts to javelin/spear unit
    -Added Heavy Peltasts to Macedon and Seleucids
    -Renamed Heavy Peltasts to Thureophoroi
    -Added heavy javelins to Thorakitai
    -Re-named Thureophoroi to Doryphoroi
    -Added re-coloured skins for GCS and Seleucid rebels (by Maraxus)

The heavy javelins are a new missile type with a range and damage that falls roughly between javelin and pilum. There new rebel skins don't have matching unit cards and sprites yet.
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; 02-10-2007 at 23:38.

downloaded 4.1.26 and am getting this message now....

xgm/data/world/maps/imperial_campaign/descr_regions.txt.at line 4 col 1 couldn't find region 'al-maghrib' in string table.

I notice that prior to this vanilla RTW would not work after you start a campaign it automatically goes back to the Main Menu....

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

nnealey1@hotmail.com

Nick

nnealey1: Sounds like your main data folder was corrupted/over-written by another mod. The most reliable solution is to completely uninstall and delete RTW off your system, reinstall, re-patch, and then try installing XGM.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Unable to win any faction on VH/VH or H setting.

Unable to win, so far, on VH/M with Rome.

Cannot avoid constant crushing debt. Win battle after battle but lose on attrition as I cannot replace my armies fast enough without sacrificing garrisons and having everything revolt.

Can afford one field army, but any more yields debt -- and as Rome I need 2 or more just to DEFEND what I've got -- any neighbor declares war and attacks. I'm in an endless locust cycle (exterminating everything) and unable to build cities much.

I am not a horrid player of RTW. Thoughts on what I am doing wrong?
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Seamus Fermanagh: Some factions are not that hard to win with, but Rome is pretty tough, especially before the reforms.

Here's a few pointers:

Watch out for the unit upkeeps - especially for cavalry and ranged units. Infantry are generally better value for money, and the city barracks level units are usually the best value for money.

The AI factions get large economic bonuses from the "founding monument" buildings (usually) located in their starting capital city. If you're in an all out war with a faction you should make it a priority to capture their capital.

Especially in the early game you need to go where the money is. If you play Rome it's tempting to go after the Gauls relatively early, but Gaul doesn't pay and you wind up with a long border to defend. Once you take northern and southern Italy it's better to go for Greece, and the islands.

REX POLONIAE Moderator KLAssurbanipal's Avatar

I released my skinpack - 10 Hoplites.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...t=76046&page=3

Are You interested them for Your mod?

Beware! Relentless Looter! Member Flavius Merobaudes's Avatar

Default AW: Extended Greek Mod

Hello. I just downloaded 5.0.5b and played some rounds. The culture system is great as it makes the game less easy and campaigns are more interesting. But I'd like to have my stables and archery ranges back. What can I do?

And btw, when playing as Baktria, you can still get the priestess_of_britannia ancillary from the temple of Hermes. But that's just a small thing.

Finally, I might suggest introducing a shrine of Buddha for Baktria. Not that I'm so much into buddhism, just in reference to graeco-buddhism (Buddhas of Bamyan). Effects might be population health bonus and increased public order, or something in that direction.

Thanks for your highly appreciated mod.

King Louise Assurbanipal: Nice skins. I'll keep them in mind if I ever get around to adding more hoplite units. :)

Flavius Merobaudes: Thanks for spotting the ancillaries problem. There were a couple of others that needed fixing as well. Buddhism sounds like a nice idea as well.

BTW there should be a new version of the beta available shortly - I've added hordes.
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; 03-07-2007 at 14:09.

XGM version 5.0.7 is now available for download.

You can get it here.

The major changes are:

-Added horde ability to Scythians, Parthians, Gauls, and Germans
    -Added Barbarian Interface from BI
    -Added culture mechanism using the religion mechanism from BI
    -Removed all Peasant units
    -Garrison units (Town Watch etc) moved to Government buildings
    -Added culture specific Barracks buildings
    -Merged most recruitment to Barracks buildings
    -Added Auxiliary Barracks
    -AOR units moved to Auxiliary Barracks
    -Hippodrome and Circus maximus are now Roman only entertainment buildings
    -Catapult Range and Siege Engineer now recruit Siege Weapons only
    -Added Grain Exports building to certain regions
    -Merged Macedonian and Greek Heavy cavalry units
    -Removed Scorpions

Military Infrastructure: Apart from garrison units, AOR units, siege weapons, and naval units, almost all recruiting has been moved to the Barracks buildings. The barracks buildings are also now culture specific. That means that when you capture a settlement that belongs to a different culture group you will need to start building your own barracks before you can recruit anything better than garrison units. Garrison units are now recruitable from government buildings. AOR units are now recruitable from Auxiliary Barracks buildings.

Colonies and Culture: A new culture mechanism has been introduced using the religion mechanism from BI. Populations in a settlement will be divided between three culture groups: Barbarian, Western Civilised, and Eastern Civilised. When you xcapture a settlement that belongs to another culture you can begin converting the population to your own culture by building a colony. This will cause unrest in the short term but greater stability and tax income in the long term. It will also make it possible to build your highest level barracks in the settlement.

Version 5.0.8 is available. It fixes a problem with the desktop shortcuts that was causing ctds for some people.

XGM version 5.0.9 is now available for download.

You can get it here.

The major changes are:

-Added East Africa AOR
    -Added AOR Nubian Spearmen recruitable by most factions in East Africa
    -Added AOR Nubian Cavalry recruitable by most factions in East Africa
    -Added AOR Ethiopian Axemen recruitable by most factions in East Africa
    -Added Arabia AOR
    -Desert Infantry are now recruitable by all factions in Arabia
    -Desert Camel Warriors arenow recruitable by all factions in Arabia
    -Desert Camel Archers are now recruitable by all factions in Arabia
    -Picked Rhodian Slingers converted to AOR unit recruitable by all factions in Rhodos
    -Picked Cretan Archers converted to AOR unit recruitable by all factions in Crete
    -Minor bug fixes, economic changes, and adjustments to auxiliary recruiting

XGM version 5.1.0 is now available for download.

You can get it here.

The major changes are:

-Added Indian Ocean and Caspian Sea regions to fix naval AI problems
    -Removed Erain and Qatarban regions
    -Map fix for several AI path-finding problems
    -Added re-coloured skins for Carthage rebels (by Maraxus)
    -Added Armour Piercing attribute to slingers
    -Minor adjustments to campaign start

This version is not savegame compatible with older versions (because of the map fixes) so don't upgrade unless you are planning to start a new campaign. The changes to the campaign start mostly involve the addition of some large rebel garrisons.

WOAH! You guys are popping out new versions like there is no tomorrow. YOu guys are doing an awesome job!!!!!!!1 I got 4.1.4 or 5 when it was relativly new, and it wasn't that long ago. Right now, I think I will stick with this one because I cannot keep up with all this progress.hehe

Keep up the good work
    RM3

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast