Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Eastern Roman Empire (BI faction)

Default Re: Eastern Roman Empire (BI faction)

Rome was meant to fall dude.

But if you still think the world needs Caeser, and if ur short on money, take half the garrison of EVERY city you have and put them on the border and form armies. Trust me, ur in for a real slugfest, no way this is gonna be easy.

Also, attack from ur bases from italy, attack that barbaricum province (the north russian province). and surround their lands.

I think the problem is in the type of infantry you're using. Legio Lanciarri are an excellent choice for fighting the light infantry/heavy cavalry armies of the hordes and Sassanids but they're no good against heavy infantry. Start replacing them with Comitatenses or preferably Plumbatarii infantry; the Plumbatarii are similar to the Comitatenses but carry longer ranged javelins with more attack and ammo so they'll be able to kill more of the Celtic infantry before they reach your lines...their only downside is that they need an Army Barracks in order to be recruited. As long as the Plumbatarii/Comitatenses infantry are supported by Eastern Archers and Cataphracts/Clibinarii (or Scholae Palatinae if you can't afford the other heavy cavalry) they should be able to beat any Celtic army they face. You could also build Foundries in some of your cities if you can afford it since units trained/retrained there will get a +2 bonus to Armor and Attack which will cut down on casualties by alot.

Btw, if you have any Urban Barracks then you can also train Comitatenses First Cohorts which are similar to the Comitatenses except they are bigger units, better at melee fighting, have somewhat higher defense stats, and raise the morale of nearby units. I always have 2 of them in any of my armies when I can but they are generally more of a luxury unit than anything else and cost quite alot.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Phoenix; 09-17-2007 at 06:11.

Anyone else thinking that those ERE's repeating chariot-mounted ballistae are way overpowered? It's like having machine guns back that age...
    3 words fit every situation: THIS IS SPARTA!

It's about 750CE now things have gotten worse, but contained. I've lost all my settlements in Europe, including Italy and Greece. Constantinople still stands, the last beacon of Roman glory in Europe. I reinforced it with about 15 Plumbatarii, which are now all silver experience. The Celtic offensive managed to breach Asia at Kotais, but i managed to resist. I fell back to my "buffer-state" strategy, sacrifising the four towns there, though im moving to recapture them currently.

At the moment, the Celts are preoccumpied trying to take Constantinople, though ive won every siege so far. Also, the berbers have launched a push into Africa, taking Carthage and besiegeing Ludgis Magna (?).

I'm still suffering from financial problems and have around 70k atm. I attempted to build a large cavalry force to re-take Europe but i lost loads of Denarii.

Overall, im holding the Celts back in Europe and am begining to fortify Alexandria for a possible berber invasion.

Will try an post some maps later.

(also, any idea when/if the game ends? I've come so far now im actualy the Byzantine Empire )

I also adopted a very effective "scorched-earth" strategy, where i demolished all the buildings in a town which looked to fall halfway through a siege. This lets me take all the denarii from a town (usually around 10k) and let the Celts deal with it. So, if i ever get round to re-capturing them, they will have already built it up again.

For anyone still intrested in my Celtic war, heres a quick update.

Since im now in the late 700's, i felt it prudent to change my faction to the Byzantine Empire. After a quick overhaul of mini-modding, i have have a pseudo-Byzantine Empire under my control, complete with new modernized units.

After years of celtic oppression, the thinkers of Constantinople have decided upon a long-term strategy to defeat the celts.

The Triplasios Dieythynsi plan ([from] three directions) utiliseses all the rescources avalible to the Byzantine Empire at present. Attacking from the three major power bases left in the Empire - Asia Minor (inc. Constantinople), Northern Asia (inc. Antioch, Hatra, Jerusalem, Sidon and Ctetisiphon) and North Africa (inc. Alexandria, Jerusalem) - three seperate crusades will be launched.

The first crusade, named the Third European crusade, will be formed in Northern Asia, where two specfic anti-celt legions will recapture northern Europe and Germainia, before finnaly stopping at the Frech Coast.

The second Crusade from Asia minor, with similar forces to the first crusade,will push through Greece and into Italy, taking back Rome, before linking up again with the first crusade in Frace.

The last crusade will be smaller, and based on quantity rather than quality. One (or more) large armies will smash the weakened Berbers aside and take their provinces in Northern Africa. When that objective has been completed, they wil lcross via boats into Spain, and then finnaly up into France, linking up with the other two expeditions.

This will effectivley destroy the remaining enemies of Constantinople. The Celts will be cut off in England, ready to be destroyed at will, whilst the Berbers and any other remaining factions will be swept aside with ease.

Ofcourse, it cannot all be done at once. The campaigns, though fast, will not be a blitzkrieg. Time will be taken to consolidate each town and strengthen the supply lines (see one of my previous posts which details a supply line on the European front, and imagine it about 10 times bigger).

Each crusade will feature two legions (1 general, 4 light cav, 5 eastern archers and 10 lanciarii), along with up to 10-20 spies, 10 assassins, ~peasant armies for quick garrisoning and one army of 5-10 generals to complete the supply lines.

Whilst im here ill detail the anti-celt tactics i mentioned earlier. (it only works i when attacking. a defensive plan is being drawn up now).

Take your 10 lanciarri units (L) and array them in a line. Then place two units of light cav (LC) on either side. Take five units of Archers (A) and place them behind the centre six lanciarri units. Your general then stays in the rear.

LC LC LLLLLLLLLL LC LC
    AAAAA
    G

The celts (a typical army of 1 gen, 2 cav, 6 gallowglasses, 6 pictish spearmen and a few kerns) will stand in range of your archers (???) and begin to get mowed down.

Advance your LC and then the pictish spearmen will move to enagage them. Draw them back and then they will stop and form a shiledtron, easy kills for your archers.

LLLLLLLLLL
    LC LC AAAAA LC LC
    G

Next, the enemy gallowglasses (X) will attack your L in force.

XXXXXX
    LLLLLLLLLL
    LC LC AAAAA LC LC
    G

Move your cavalry behind them and pin them against your spearmen. Your cavalry will make short work of the swordsmen and theyll flee in seconds.

LCLCLCLC
    XXXXXX
    LLLLLLLLLL
    AAAAA
    G

Then, pull back to your normal formation and let your archers deal with the rest of the enemy. Should you run out of ammo and some yet live, advance your massed L and seize the day.

This tactic relies on the Lanciarii units (limitanei could even be used) to hold a protective line in front of the archers, whilst they eliminate the deadly spearmen, and your cheap cavalry destroy the otherwise amazing gallowglasses. You'll allways take minimal casualties and most of your units will come out without a scratch. (overall average fifty casualties)

interesting, but ere have such darn hot infantry, the first cohortes and plumtari, it is a same not to put them to use.

loyalty is my current problem. the emperor is busy crushing the Sassanids so the Danube frontire depends on a scion with low overall dependability. can he rebel outside a city, do you think? if he does rebel, hopefully the crew holding Constantinople will stay loyal.

oh, and be careful to hand over any offices from junior officers who go into battle to someother character in anice safe city. if the character holding the office is killed, you lose the office.
    But vain the spear and vain the bow,
    They never can work War's overthrow;
    The hermit's prayer and the widow's tear
    Alone can free the world from fear
    (Blake)

another difficulty with the ere is training governors. you need managers with all the big towns. but most of the family couldn't manage a piss-up in a brewery, pardon my french.

also the ostrogoth rebels hold a province where i could build a profitable port. they do look like a curious hornets-nest. i wonder what happens if i run up and poke them with stick?
    But vain the spear and vain the bow,
    They never can work War's overthrow;
    The hermit's prayer and the widow's tear
    Alone can free the world from fear
    (Blake)

Mastering the ERE faction is very easy (VH/VH with huge units and no mods). Destroy all pagan shrines and convert to Christianity, everywhere except Salamis. Set taxes here to low to boost the population and build the temple to Mithras. Also, centralize the capital at Salamis and this should get you about two thousand more denarii each turn by decreasing the distance to capital for most of your richest provinces. Put the pagan diplomat and any weak pagan FM’s there to convert the Christians quickly. Since it’s an island, this won’t interfere with the religion of any other settlements. Tweak the taxes and add peasant garrisons elsewhere and you should never even have a riot. You will get a great deal of income to upgrade your economy.
    To secure your empire, build a fort at the two crossing points on the Danube east of Sirmium, the bridge between Antioch and Hatra, by Caesarea and Sinope and also in the pass NE of Tarsus. Eventually, I fortified the passes in Greece as well. One lemitanei unit is enough to garrison them. Keep a good garrison in Sirmium or at the bridge to its north, as it can not be fortified.
    I concentrated my military production in Antioch (cavalry and foundry), Sidon (eastern archers and onagers) and Jerusalem (plumbatarii and first cohorts). Upgrade Salamis with military buildings and eventually an Awesome Temple. Now your units can be upgraded to silver weapons and armor at Antioch and then ferried to Salamis for an increase of two skill levels. I built up Sirmium with basic structures to maintain an army to defend the Danube.
    Eliminate your navy except for a bireme at Constantinople and Antioch to be used as a ferry. Keep an army at the Danube and send everything else to Antioch. You should have enough starting units there to get two armies with two legio lanciarii, four lemitanei, six eastern archers, four hippo-toxotai and two cavalry each. Send one army along the Black Sea to Kotais-Artaxarta-Phraaspa-Arsakia and the other to Petra-Dumatha-Ctesiphon. These two prongs will draw the Sassanids away from Hatra, where the third army (that you must build) can easily be victorious. I swapped some military retinue around to get three generals that each had four stars, one for each army. I make one other stack with as many Christian FM’s, diplomats and spies as I can scrape together and just send them around to convert the heathen conquests by their presence. I usually put the best two administrators in Constantinople and Alexandria, again with economic retinue.
    Conquer the Sassanids, as well as Petra, and Dummatha, then the two rebel provinces to the north around the Caspian Sea. Now move your armies west, or raise new ones, so that you can blitz the WRE. You want to take Lepcis Magna and then Carthage with one force. At the same time, take Salona and ferry another force to Italy. Take Tarentum, Rome, Ravenna and then Mediolanium for the final victory.
    Last edited by Agent Miles; 12-15-2008 at 21:25.
    Sometimes good people must kill bad people to protect the rest of the people.

I was wondering about something with the Eastern Roman campaign. Is it inevitable that the Western Roman Empire will turn on you fairly early in the game? I remember I was allied with them until like 20 to 25 years after the start and they suddenly backstabbed me and declared me an enemy. I don't think I did anything to offend them, but then again I might have crossed into their territory without agreeing to that through diplomacy or maybe it had something to do with alliances with other factions that were incompatible.

The Eastern Roman campaign starts off pretty tough I think, since you almost instantly lose Constantinople and northern Greece to the Sarmatian and Gothic hordes that seek a new homeland, and it takes a while to take them back. At the same time you're facing constant pressure from the Sassanids to the east who pretty much only have you as their main enemy and obstacle. The whole pagan/Christian thing can also further complicate things when money and men are being used for other purposes early in the game. Later on though, after you deal with the barbarians and Persians, it becomes smooth sailing for a while. I have yet to play with the Western Empire, but apparently it's tougher.

It was my favorite faction to play with in BI and got pretty far into it, like around 500 AD, before I accidentally overwrote the save file with a Frankish campaign that I started

They turned on me pretty quickly too. I suspect that may be hardcoded or at least there's a strong inclination in that direction, in order to mimic the circumstances of the Fourth Crusade, which ended up with the west sacking Constantinople.

The main reason why ERE is no easy is that their Governor buildings have an additional bonus in public order. If one takes that out and incraeses the required regions for victory to include Gaul, Iberia and North Africa in their entirety, as well as mod out the hugely overpowered equites clibinarii and nerf the also overpowered eastern archers, ERE can be lots of fun.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

the angry, angry elephantid Member wooly_mammoth's Avatar

For some reason I can't find this discusses anywhere on the Internet, so I'll ask here.

Almost done with my vanilla version of BI ERE campaign, only need 6 more territories including Carthage, but I've noticed something distressing. The Emperor is a complete badass, with excellent stats, very good traits, great retinue. He has lead the same comitatenses units in conquest from Antioch to Arsakia and then back all the way to Rome. This guy has seen the empire grow under his rule from a poor, religiously divided, on the brink of annihilation territory to the biggest power in the known world that no one dares to challenge, and yet his loyalty is dropping like crazy.

So, can the taffing Emperor actually betray you and join the ERE rebels? To me, that sounds completely stupid and illogical. It makes perfect sense for a general with a good military career to decide there's more to his name than the mudholes in Armenia, proclaim himself emperor and go rebel with his troops, but will the actual Emperor of ERE do that if his loyalty gets too low?

Quote Originally Posted by wooly_mammoth View Post
    For some reason I can't find this discusses anywhere on the Internet, so I'll ask here.

Almost done with my vanilla version of BI ERE campaign, only need 6 more territories including Carthage, but I've noticed something distressing. The Emperor is a complete badass, with excellent stats, very good traits, great retinue. He has lead the same comitatenses units in conquest from Antioch to Arsakia and then back all the way to Rome. This guy has seen the empire grow under his rule from a poor, religiously divided, on the brink of annihilation territory to the biggest power in the known world that no one dares to challenge, and yet his loyalty is dropping like crazy.

So, can the taffing Emperor actually betray you and join the ERE rebels? To me, that sounds completely stupid and illogical. It makes perfect sense for a general with a good military career to decide there's more to his name than the mudholes in Armenia, proclaim himself emperor and go rebel with his troops, but will the actual Emperor of ERE do that if his loyalty gets too low?
    If I remember correctly, if the Emperor is your faction leader or faction heir, he cannot turn Rebel. I know faction leaders/heirs cannot be bribed.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

Started both a Frank campaign and an ERE campaign. Abandoned Sirmium and am using that army combined with the one north of Constatinople to attack Salona. Figured that Sirmium would come under attack too quickly to defend (taking Hadrian's idea, abandoning untenable parts of the empire), and Constantinople can hold off any hordes who attack. I can retake Sirmium later.

My only gripe is, why are all the Roman towns so basic, especially the barracks situation? I am having to build a lot of starting Barracks in my starting towns. I mean, even in Tarsus, for Pete's sake. If those towns existed in RTW they should be more advanced to start BI.

Note: you don't want Antioch to come under much attack, otherwise your finance will tank. Good idea to go after Hatra, I think, so that is what I will do.
    Last edited by Vincent Butler; 01-07-2018 at 08:31. Reason: answered question about Salona
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345