Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eastern Roman Empire (BI faction)

Oza the Sly: Vandal Invasion Member Braden's Avatar

Default Re: Eastern Roman Empire (BI faction)

I dived strait in on an ERE campaign when I got BI and although I’m a seasoned Rome player I’ve found even this “easier” campaign challenging. My experience does not appear to have been duplicated that often here though as my struggles have come from the fact that within the first 20 years I’ve been hit by THREE hordes – the Vandals, Huns AND Goths have all gone “horde” and struck out against me. The Samatians also went “horde” but only took a region I had just lost to the Huns (thankfully).

Thessalonica has been taken and sacked Twice so far but since this initial rush (and the Goths and Vandals settling North of Thessalonica and Constantinople) I have succeeded in gaining trade with them at least. I just couldn’t hold the hordes at the choke points purely due to sheer weight of numbers! Each horde had 6-8 full stacks where I could only muster perhaps 2-3 stacks of low level troops at the time. The Goths were the worse and included some nasty high level infantry (is it Chosen Warriors?), masses of horse archers where I had none and spear-bands etc. Although I managed to cull thousands in the battles, all I could do was give ground. Gladly though, they decided to “Settle”.

All this meant that the first attacks by the Sassinids were also a hard hit. Although they didn’t manage to take any settlements it has set my economy back by decades whilst I had to concentrate on building troops rather than money.

Now having dealt with the Sassinids finally (although experiencing a Roman rebellion continuously in the province in the far South East), I have started to focus on Money after all the really hard times before.

I only have a tenuous foot-hold on the edge of Europe with Constantinople and Thessalonica. So it’s a matter of building the economy to suit the long-term war against the now large WRE (we are nearly equal for land).

Relations with the WRE had been very frosty and broke out into sporadic fighting through the years I have managed to get back in with them and although I’m allied with some of their enemies (e.g. the Berbers).

I would like to know how to deal with Hordes though. I tried just about everything and although I managed to slow them down AND inflict casualties that would destroy any normal army I just got steam-rollered! I’ve managed to run out of arrows in battles as there are just so many targets (and this was with 8 units of archers on Large size).

It’s also all well an good defending bridges BUT if most of the horde can swim………this is what I’ve been faced with. However, and with luck, I won’t have to face a horde again as I’ll be able to crush their combat units in the field normally and the only “horde” left will be peasants.

I’m currently pursuing a campaign against the WRE as I have finally secured the East. I have had to disposes the Vandals of their single territory so I could secure my Western borders before starting completely.

What I am experiencing is poor loyalties in my Generals and now a lack of family members since I’ve suddenly lost 5-8 in quick succession. Some good news was that since a battle against rebels last night I did manage to adopt a Captain but I’m still waging a war in Europe without ANY Generals. To help keep troublesome Eastern provinces in line, what family members I have are having to say put in places like Jerusalem so I need to work on both Loyalty AND Happyness in the East.
    Last edited by Braden; 02-03-2006 at 13:50.
    My Steam Community Profile - Currently looking for .Org members I know with NTW for MP stuff (as I'm new to that...lol)

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Braden,
    I have similar experience with my current game. I disbanded most of my ships to get a better cash flow. I fortified the crossings of the Danuba. This save me at the beginning from horde attacks. I concentrated on my eastern campaign and attacked the first Sassanid town (Hatra I guess) as soon as possible. No reason to wait, things get only worse. I assaulted the town and had to defend it against another army. These battles broke the backbone of the Sassanids. I advanced to Susa and even pushed further until I had all of their towns. Susa is an excellent production centre. Of cause these fights were difficult. The Sassanids frequently invaded Asia Minor. But finally I made it.
    In the meanwhile a horde bypassed my defence and attacked Thessa. I built up an army at Konst. and reconquered the town. Then I used this army to take the rest of Balkans and then crossed the sea to attack Italy. Do this asap. The Italian mainland's defense is weak. You can take it and then have some first class cities. And you weaken the Western Roms - bloody bastards!

Thanks for the advice, I’ve progressed and gotten over that initial “hump” but now it’s the war against the WRE and it’s getting serious. I’ve cleared them out of Africa but I’ve not crossed into Italy yet – BTW: Rome is a Rebel state and has been for quite a while.

Think I’ll take your suggestion and cross over to Italy but whilst attacking from middle Europe (Aquincum – sorry using names from Rome map). I’ve suffered a large defeat trying to take the huge city here – defenders included a first cohort. But I’ve assembled 2 stacks to re-assault after losing a full stack on its walls previously. Canny AI though has put a fort at the bridge into the region from Campus Iazyges (again rome map name).

Obviously, things stalled initially due the sudden economic hit from going to war against the WRE. Although I was already “at war” with them, once I actually started a land campaign against them several allies and trading partners dropped connections to me so money is constantly tight (6k a turn only).

How effective are siege weapons against Epic defences? Or is it a matter of as many siege towers as possible?

The Barbarian tribes are still an issue but I now know my defences are reasonably firm – thank to the advice here – and I’ve been able to use Hordes to my benefit.

Herding: Using my army group of nearly three stacks of troops I’ve managed to displace and herd the Goths and the Vandals into WRE lands to cause as much pain to them as possible before I invade just behind them! After my defeat at Aquincum the Goth horde passed by Campus Iazyges and initially I placed my stacks to defend my own territory but as they avoided me I keeps moving the armies to push them West rather than South or North.

Although the WRE forces have defeated the Goth horde they have been weakened and I’m following right behind whilst the Goths keep moving West.

Obviously, I don’t think this tactic will work all the time but using a horde or two as your own blunt instrument of destruction and death is working for me currently.

Ha,ha,ha!
    My Steam Community Profile - Currently looking for .Org members I know with NTW for MP stuff (as I'm new to that...lol)

Fantastic idea herding the barbarians to do your dirty work, if it works well you could find seriously depleted barbarian factions ripe for the conquering when your imperial armies follow their trail of destruction. This kind of tactic is a good way to go about a total conquest of the WRE and reunite the empire, which is near impossible any other way.

I’ve not been able to capitalise on this as yet as the Vandal Horde I was herding went right past one of the cities I needed, I had to besiege and take it, an operation that took much longer than it should as the city had a First Cohort defending it!

Anyway, all is not lost at the Horde stopped just North at the next barbarian held city. All I need to do is wait behind them to see what they do next.

If they take it and disposes another Horde, then I have several options. Either herd and follow the new horde or herd the new horde away and besiege/take the Vandals new city – causing them to horde again, so I have TWO hordes to Sheppard.

Truth is, after losing 5k men taking the first city, can I afford to send two/three stacks off into the wilderness….pillaging as they go?

I truly wish I can but I’ll have to see how many armies I’ve got left….

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Horde both! You do not have to guide them completely. Just send them in the direction you want them to be (WRE is guess).
    Herding has a big advantage: they soften your enemies and weaken the towns; but it has also some drawbacks: they are hard to control and the cities you get are already ruined.
    So I guess a good compromise is to make them hordes, lead them into the right direction, take a town or two, and then leave them alone. Or send a spy to accompany them!

In my game I had some trouble with the Franks. As far as I could see they never horded. But they managed to build a big empire and attacked me at the Balkans with several armies. Even lost a town (the one at the Adria). The Rox controlled all of Russia and tried to invade me several times; but they were always weak and my garrisons could do the job.

But finally I made it. I pushed the Franks back. In the end I controlled the middle east, egypt, carthage, Crete, asia minor, the Balkans, Italy, southern france and corsica.

For a win now in my campaign I only need to take Rome officially (although I don’t have any forces in Italy yet to do this), I’ll obviously want to continue beyond this.

I had to land the substantial force in Syracuse, who were heading for South Italy as the WRE ships were too well placed for me to get past – so emergency land-fall in Syracuse (a rebel large city), which they took for little loss. I plan to build it for trade. However, I really need to get that army from the island, well at least the General as he’s the faction Heir! (if I could post the picture, I’d show you an island nearly completely surrounded by dozens of little WRE fleets)

I’ve also manage to get a few Merc units of Elephants from the Far South East of my Empire – I lost one the other night taking a WRE city which had far too many Sarmatian (sp) heavy cavalry units in it. I may have lost the merc unit completely but I shudder to think what damage those heavy units would have done against my poor infantry.

Hordes – The Vandals have been happily leaving a trail of rebel towns and cities behind them (three so far!), which I’m happy to snap up. However this is leading this army well into Germania so I may have to let the Horde travel without me soon. I’ve been careful to take out only one of the Two Goth settlement which remained, the last one is a nice buffer between me and Russia (i.e. the Balkens). AND it stops them “hording” on my Eastern front. I shall offer peace to them now.

However successful against the WRE I may be (and that seems to depend on how many Sarmarian (sp – again) units they have) I’m always thinking about when I’ll come into direct contact with a Horde again. My previous experiences were devastating, but I’m determined to overcome this.

SO, better concentrate now on securing my borders and building up my trade network. Anyway, I think I’ve got to that stage in the game where I’ve reached “Critical Mass” and although the BI game is likely to throw up possible bumps (Hordes, perhaps the WRE have been gathering their own troops just far across the border), it’s that point in the game where you look at the map and the quality and quantity of opposition just across your borders and think “I’ve won”.

Quote Originally Posted by Braden
    I would like to know how to deal with Hordes though. I tried just about everything and although I managed to slow them down AND inflict casualties that would destroy any normal army I just got steam-rollered! I’ve managed to run out of arrows in battles as there are just so many targets (and this was with 8 units of archers on Large size).

It’s also all well an good defending bridges BUT if most of the horde can swim………this is what I’ve been faced with. However, and with luck, I won’t have to face a horde again as I’ll be able to crush their combat units in the field normally and the only “horde” left will be peasants.
    If you're playing the ERE, then you need to retreat (basically build your economy in Asia so that its strong enough to handle the sudden drop in income when you have to leave Turkey). The hordes will arrive in about 15-20 turns, so you have ample time. Then get out of Constantinople, Thessalonica and Athens. Destroy as many buildings as you see fit. Go and deal with the Sassanids. Then come back later when the hordes have worn themselves out.

This is the safe strategy. This is a strategy I use on H/H.

Otherwise you can take them all head on. Problem is, the Goths will come after you, so will the Huns, and the Sarmatians probably. Its not easy fighting hordes, and bridge warfare can only work so many times.
    Last edited by Garvanko; 02-12-2006 at 21:51.

Three of the hordes landed on me (as ERE) within the first 10 turns so I didn't have time to prepare. However, that was long ago and although that's certainly put my campaign well back I was able to defeat one horde last night.

The Slav's tried to get across a bridge and I was lucky enough to have an experienced Cohort (full stack) right on it at the time. Five battles later (gods! that was boring) I'd utterly destroyed them. I guess I was very lucky though as they never tried to swim (had no capable units) as I don't think I had sufficient infantry to hold them if they'd done that.

I had 8 archer units and only 4 infantry units.

Hello all good people,
    It's always intersting to hear what people say on strategy and how to deal with various factions. It always says alot about ourselves as individuals. I have found that unless you prepare quickly you will be hit from both sides. I have found the Sassanids to be extremely adventerous in their campaigning.

Waht I try to do is buy off barbarian factions while I deal with the sassanids. I have found the use of strategically placed forts very handy. even if they are only manned by one unit, or less, they give you three turns to rally your troops and prepare for invasion.

Another trick I have found is to allow my cities to rebel, then seige them, sack them for money, and then convert them to paganism. I have been successful in converting the whole ERE back to the old religion. Once you have enough money you can then start a counter offensive.

I have been using the strategies from the book "The Grand Strategy of the Roman Empire" which I have found extremely well. Essentially by using well placed forts that are manned by Limitanai, then reinforced by legios and major cities, you can keep invaders pretty much contained. I have used this with great success along the Rhine and Upper Danube. Very very effective.

So the keys are:

well paced defenses
    make alliances, trade etc,
    get cash
    establish postion of strength
    counter attack

Cheers all

geoffrey

After finishing a Carthage campaign in 1.5, I decided to try ERE in BI, so I could have archers again. I'm not sure I should have bothered; something seems to have happened to degrade Roman troops badly in the intervening centuries. Two archer units (large unit size) can only kill one solitary levy spearman with every other volley, and they're pretty much useless against everything else--though they will kill camels if they're running away fairly effectively. Eastern archers have better range but an equally dismal kill count. My troops are woefully unable to deal with the Huns; fighting them defending a bridge with a bunch of my spear units, which should have been cake, I was massacred, and even rebel units that are about the same size as my army beat me half the time. Anyway, I've taken to fighting the Sassanids purely by outnumbering them; I narrowly killed a Cibinarii Immortal unit solely because I outnumbered it 450 to 45 (including my general), losing most of the army in the process. And I'm only playing on M/M---did ERE get seriously nerfed in 1.6 or something? Because everyone else in this thread says that they're really easy on H/H and VH/VH and I'm barely hanging on; I still have most of my territories but the Goth, Vandal and Hun hordes are all in my lands and my defenses are weak at best. The only positive is that I got lucky and managed to kill the ten-star Hun King, which caused that horde to retreat. But there are still three more out there....and my night-fighting emperor died 2 turns in, so that's not an option.

I did make the dumb mistake of destroying the Zoroastrian shrine in Hatra; the public order went from 60% down to 0 and now it's in constant rebellion. Gotta remember to check the population distribution before doing that in Sassanid territory.

Ok so the first thing i did was deal with the few red cities. after that i immediatly reinforced my borders against the Sassanids (i like calling them Persians) easier said then done. Think of horse archers with mail armour and youve got a challenge not only that but the Persians have elephants which were used in alot of my wars gainst them. so i take hatra and other sassanid cities and kept pushing until my army of 3000 men were defeated by sassanids of 2000. my mistake was making sure my men could withstand and kill elephants. most of my battle line was torn through and wasnt prepared for a wave of cillibinori immortals. so the morale of this story is be prepared for the sassanids horse archers and elephants.

Having plenty of spearmen available to deal with Clibinarii is pretty important. Once the Sassanids are out of the way, though, things are pretty much a walk in the park now. The WRE begged me for a ceasefire; I wasn't inclined to give it to them so I demanded Carthage. They agreed! Their former Carthaginian army has now trudged all the way around into the former Scythia on their way back home. I just need to kill the Berbers and this game is won.

Terra, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, somewhere in this universe.

Overpowered archers are ridiculous though. Anyway, the Romans are very effective if you can use them properly. Just their pila (darts for plumbatarii) are enough to rout a few units before they come into contact with your troops. Then, engage them with your line, and then use the remaining ones to flank.

The hordes can be held back with night battles, allowing them to be annihilated one stack at a time. Alternatively, you could send in the assassin squads. Or, best of all, combine the two tactics to efficiently rid yourself of the horde threats. The assassins should be easily affordable with the strong ERE economy.
    Student by day, bacon-eating narwhal by night (specifically midnight)

I've been using assassin squads to good effect in my ERE game. Bloodthirsty, but entertaining. It certainly helped eliminate the Sassanid Menace...I'd much rather kill 2 of 3 Clibinarii Immortals via assassination than fight them on the field.

Finished this campaign the other night. I thought I would have trouble with the Berbers in Dimmidi (or the town that used to be Dimmidi, I can't remember if it's still called the same thing), since they outnumbered me and had a family member there and I was taking it on with a rag-tag group of cavalry headed by a mere captain. But the Berbers obligingly sent a force out to attack me just before I got there, and on the open field I was able to use my ballista and scorpion to good effect to break their ranks, allowing the cavalry to wipe them out. That left just the family member in the city, and he didn't last long.

Needing two more cities, I turned my attention back to the WRE, which I now had a ceasefire with thanks to their donation of Carthage. I soon got into a War of Assassins between Rome and Patavium (or what used to be Patavium; I am always calling cities and factions by their RTW names). They got lucky and killed my governor so I brought the hordes of death down upon their heads, slaying the family member, sabotaging nearly everything, then besieging. My spy opened the gates and mayhem ensues A reinforcing army approached, I slew the family member at its head, and they turned back. Heh. One more city to go. My army that landed on Sicily some 10 turns ago then went into action, besieging Syracuse. It wasn't quite big enough to get more than 2 siege towers built in a turn, but I went for it. Things were touch and go on the walls, since the WRE had a half-unit of plumbatarii up there, but I was eventually able to capture the gates as their plumbs fought on, and send the cavalry in, and that was pretty much all she wrote for Syracuse FTW.

In the meantime, the Franks decided to attack me in Thessalonica, so after saving the Win I sallied and utterly destroyed that army. No telling if I'll play on a bit; I'd like to wipe out the Goths, if I can, with my many now-well-trained assassins.
    Last edited by gardibolt; 05-18-2006 at 18:13.

Are the ERE generally one of the easier people on BI to win with, or are they a serious challenge? I would like to play a bit of BI (so far I've only really played around a bit with the Huns) once I have got a few games under my belt in Vanilla. If I do play BI, I will definitly play these guys, because I don't really like the barbarians: they're uncivilized smelly little buggers.
    I support Israel

Terra, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, somewhere in this universe.

They're definitely easy compared to the WRE. Even if attacked by the hordes, just retreat behind the Aegean Sea/Black Sea and focus on the Sassanids. The WRE, on the other, hand, actually have no choice and must face the hordes. ERE is a walk in the park compared to the WRE, because it is targeted by less factions, and has powerful cavalry. It is also pretty much unified in religion, with hardly any pagan cities in the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius
    They're definitely easy compared to the WRE. Even if attacked by the hordes, just retreat behind the Aegean Sea/Black Sea and focus on the Sassanids. The WRE, on the other, hand, actually have no choice and must face the hordes. ERE is a walk in the park compared to the WRE, because it is targeted by less factions, and has powerful cavalry. It is also pretty much unified in religion, with hardly any pagan cities in the beginning.
    Good! Thanks. Do the WRE not get those super awesome Equites Catrfractii?
    I support Israel

The WRE don't get Cataphractii, Clibinarii or Eastern archers. Instead, they have Praeventores (think arcani), Sarmatian Auxilia (fast, reliable cavalry) and Scholae Palantinae (expensive and not great cav).

Sarmies have the advantage of a lower tech requirement and quicker recruitment though. They're also cheaper. It's also strangely satisfying to butcher barbarian with barbarians.

Sarmatian Cavalry on vanilla Rome are very good mercs.
    I support Israel

Sarmatian Auxilia in BI are better. They're recruitable from any city with level 3 stables, are more tightly packed, and thus deliver a more dangerous charge. They're also cheaper and retrainable if need be.

And what can I say? Red just looks better than Green

Sarmatian Auxilia in BI are better. They're recruitable from any city with level 3 stables, are more tightly packed, and thus deliver a more dangerous charge. They're also cheaper and retrainable if need be.

And what can I say? Red just looks better than Green
    Are Clibarnii better?
    I support Israel

In the campaign, the Clibinarii have the disadvantage of cost. They also take two turns to recruit. However, they're far more difficult to take down, and have super-heavy armour and armour-piercing clubs methinks. They're slower than the Sarmatian cavalry, and the numbers should be equal.

In the campaign, the Clibinarii have the disadvantage of cost. They also take two turns to recruit. However, they're far more difficult to take down, and have super-heavy armour and armour-piercing clubs methinks. They're slower than the Sarmatian cavalry, and the numbers should be equal.
    Aren't you refering to Catrafractii?
    I support Israel

Roman Clibinarii don't have arrows, and Cataphractii use swords, not clubs.

BHCWarman88

Roman Clibs are Good,but they are Expensive,holy hell........

When you've got the top economy in the known world, cost doesn't really matter.

The WRE don't get Cataphractii, Clibinarii or Eastern archers. Instead, they have Praeventores (think arcani), Sarmatian Auxilia (fast, reliable cavalry) and Scholae Palantinae (expensive and not great cav).

Sarmies have the advantage of a lower tech requirement and quicker recruitment though. They're also cheaper. It's also strangely satisfying to butcher barbarian with barbarians.
    Hmmm, ERE get Scholor Palintae too. I had some in my latest ERE campaign and they're avilablr to ERE in custom battles. WRE also get Auxilia Paltinae (best spearmen on the game) and ERE also get Legio Lanciarri (legionaires with a spear instead of sword).

Anywho,

Meh, just on normal/normal. Quite fun, short of it is I kicked Sassanids into that crummy city in Russia, then took Tarentum on the end of the Italian Peninsula before moving up to Rome and expanding outwards from there. Then I realised it was in victory conditions to take Carthage so I sent a small expeditionary force out to take it from the small WRE garrison.

Hm, didn't know that as I play WRE instead. Anyway, difference is that the WRE have less uber cavalry, so some people might build the SP. In the ERE you wouldn't though, since they're so bad compared to the cataphracts or clibinarii in terms of cost:effectiveness in my opinion.

Interesting to see how easy it is in M/M: the Huns settling so early and the Franks not hording. Where are the Goths, by the way?

Erm, Goths where hording around Alemanni sort of territory. Sarmatrians sieged Mediolanum, I defended and after that they where hovering around in my lands (I think if I hadn't have won the game they'd have sieged in the next few turns)

To be fair to the Huns, they did siege Constantinople every turn lol.

IMO ERE campaign would be more fun if:

A)Sassanids could recruit Sughdians anywhere, their mass spearmen armies are simply easy to take down.
    B)ERE had a faction to their south, surely there was some sort of faction around there in those times lol. IMO in vanilla the best campaigns where in asai minor sorta area due to all the successor states around you.
    Last edited by Monarch; 06-04-2006 at 11:14.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast