Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Feedback & Campaign reports

Default Re: Feedback & Campaign reports

Quote Originally Posted by R'as al Ghul
    About the disloyal taishos....is it something that we need to fix?
    No. I wasn't making use of all the options to improve loyalty.

Do we need to change the province income? I'd like the map to be fair, meaning that all clans should have the possibility to rise to power.
    I don't know. Takeda's starting position is precarious because he is in contact with 10 clans. It requires alliances and finesse to survive. I ransom captives after battles to gain money. After taking Mino and Kii, you really have to wait for a weakness to expand further. The key province to take would be Musashi. In my second campaign, I have been able to take advantage of a weaken Satomi to take Musashi in 1509. With 5 provinces (Mino, Hida, Shinano, Kii and Musashi), I have 9700 koku, income of 4880. expenses of 3190 and a total force of 2000 men. I had to win 1 battle in Hida, 1 in Kii, 3 in Mino and 1 in Musashi to get to this point. Currently I'm allied with Uesugi, Hosakawa and Honda, and at war with Hoganji and Satomi.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Played 13 1v1 MP battles with beta_8 over the last couple of days with a couple of players, and there were no drops or desyncs.

I was plowing through the campaign as the mighty salad green Satake, trampling weaklings with my horde of naginata cavalry and assasinating their ugly princesses. That is, until I met... "him".

Mr. Kensai with 8 command, 9 valour, "Famously Brave" AND a "Famous Warrior". Singlehandedly, fighting uphill, he mowed down my elite army of about 600 naginata cav, 400 nodachi and 300 monks, all led by a 6 star general.

That is when I pressed ctrl+alt+del.

Quote Originally Posted by Alx
    Mr. Kensai with 8 command, 9 valour, "Famously Brave" AND a "Famous Warrior". Singlehandedly, fighting uphill, he mowed down my elite army of about 600 naginata cav, 400 nodachi and 300 monks, all led by a 6 star general.
    Shooting him with guns would be best. Each penetrating hit would take away 4 hitpoints, and just about any hit by a gun will be a penetrating hit. As a general, he would have between 6 and 25 hitpoints. So, you would need somewhere between 2 and 7 hits to kill him. If you don't have guns, shooting him with archers would be the next best, but they only take away 1 hitpoint with a penetrating hit. Less arrows penetrate, but it's offset by the higher accuracy.

The kensai is balanced to be equivalent to a 60 man warrior monk unit in melee. However, the main problem in this case is the 9 valour combined with the multiple lives from being the general. Your 6 star general is only going to boost the valour of your units by 3. So, the kensai is going to be about 6 valour higher than your troops which is a 12 combat point advantage (1.2**12 = 8.9). That would make him equivalent to about 9 warrior monk units for each one of his lives. If he had the minimum 6 lives that a general gets, it would take about 3000 warrior monks to beat him in melee. It's possible the kensai should be toned down in melee, but then he won't be worth his cost at the base level.

I adore Kensai... because I adore Chanbara-style films. They're really fun. However... is there any way (even via a .bat file) to swap out an OOB set or stat set or whatever it is in this game, that excludes Kensai? So you can play wth OR without them.
    "Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity...
    ... the product of screwing being newborn virgins and the product of pacification wars being peace."

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

for backup purposes MAKE A DUPLICATE OF this file
    STW_SP12_unit_prod.txt
    (put the duplicate into it own folder - do NOT leave it in the main game folder)

then open STW_SP12_unit_prod.txt in notepad

do a find on the word Kensai

carefully read through the next few lines after STW_Kensai looking for
    ALL_FACTIONS (it is below all the CATH_LOYALISTS blah blah blah)

change all_factions to read
    NO_FACTION
    (be carefull not to adjust or interfere any tabs in the file)

Voila - no kensai (just tested here and it works fine)

if the game misbehaves simply put the duplicate file back

cheers
    B.
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

Quote Originally Posted by barocca
    change all_factions to read
    NO_FACTION
    (be carefull not to adjust or interfere any tabs in the file)
    If you use the gnome editor, that parameter is in column 49 and there is no danger of upsetting the format of the file.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 04-14-2007 at 01:19.

Rout Meister Member KyodaiSteeleye's Avatar
    Potton, near Sandy, the centre of the unknown universe

Hi,

I watched Ran for the first time yesterday, and it got me thinking about those old Shogun playing days. I tried to download my old shogun, but unfortunately I've mislaid the box and so the CD key. Never mind, I downloaded your mod instead!

First of all I like to say - good job! I'm having a lot of fun playing with the slightly amended Shogun world - although the newer games are also fun, I appreciate the simplicity of the limited unit roster and more basic economics.

I might even venture onto the MP server at some point - I did play on Samurai lords when it was first produced - also a lot of fun!

If you're still making improvements to the mod, i've noticed a couple of little bugs, plus some comments that have occured to me as i've been playing:

• In some regions if you attack the castle, or are attacked, there is no castle model, and it plays out like a normal battle

Some vices/virtues are assigned to 'spare hero slot'

On a number of occasions i've had a unit being recruited disappear - sometimes they reappear in the right province a few turns later - sometimes they don't.

In terms of comments - I really like the large number of clans in the game - however, i have noticed that because they are so close to each other are all very cautious, and don't tend to expand very fast - this can be a problem if you then get powerful and are opposed by puny opponents.

I was a bit dissappointed you decided to retained the Ashigaru crossbowmen unit - I thought this was a bit pants in the MI expansion - did they even use crossbows in Japan?

I like the Hatamoto unit - however with heirs, the seed seems to have been set quite virulent at the moment, and if you're not careful you end up with masses of heirs and ex-heirs.

Anyway, great mod, I may see you online!
    KyodaiSpan, KyodaiSteeleye, PFJ_Span, Bohemund. Learn to recognise psychopaths

Quote Originally Posted by KyodaiSteeleye
    I like the Hatamoto unit - however with heirs, the seed seems to have been set quite virulent at the moment, and if you're not careful you end up with masses of heirs and ex-heirs.
    I don't find this to be a problem. You get to develop a glorious lineage!! Plus deal with all those annoying, royal relatives of yours sucking up scads of money whilst doing precious little. ... Unless you use them as shock troops, gallantly leading the charge into battle. This tends to keep their numbers down to a decidedly manageable level. ;) In other words, it just changes the gameplay a bit.
    ... the product of screwing being newborn virgins and the product of pacification wars being peace."

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KyodaiSteeleye
    If you're still making improvements to the mod, i've noticed a couple of little bugs, plus some comments that have occured to me as i've been playing:

• In some regions if you attack the castle, or are attacked, there is no castle model, and it plays out like a normal battle

Some vices/virtues are assigned to 'spare hero slot'

On a number of occasions i've had a unit being recruited disappear - sometimes they reappear in the right province a few turns later - sometimes they don't.

In terms of comments - I really like the large number of clans in the game - however, i have noticed that because they are so close to each other are all very cautious, and don't tend to expand very fast - this can be a problem if you then get powerful and are opposed by puny opponents.

I was a bit dissappointed you decided to retained the Ashigaru crossbowmen unit - I thought this was a bit pants in the MI expansion - did they even use crossbows in Japan?

Anyway, great mod, I may see you online!
    Hi Kyodai,

thx for the comments. We could use another MP player. A beta_9 will be released some time.....
    - castles: We're aware of that and it will eventually be fixed.
    - yes we still have some spare hero slots and they'll be filled with names
    - I suppose the unit may hide behind the province's castle; try to switch off the castles with "c" I think, may only work together with -ian
    - the number of clans was a bit of a showoff, for the final version barocca has planned several starting eras, Minamoto and Taira for example will get their own era and the rest will be spread over the other historic eras when those clans played a relevant role
    - i'm not too fond of the ashi-xbow myself, I think the idea was to restrict them to a very early era
    - the heirs, heros etc. need to be spread out more, so that they don't come all at once

Thanks,

R'as

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Senior Member Hopefull Member MiniKiller's Avatar

the number of clans was a bit of a showoff, for the final version barocca has planned several starting eras, Minamoto and Taira for example will get their own era and the rest will be spread over the other historic eras when those clans played a relevant role
    -
    I personally love all the factions in the game. I like the selection and the fact that since many start small its much more random which grow to be powers. How many eras where you thinking of having? 2? So would you have more factions but more spread out across the eras?
    *Bows. Turns to return to darkness...bumps head...looks around, pretends noone saw. Dissapears in shadows while cursing at self*

The Lord of Chaos Member ChaosLord's Avatar

Well, I came around while downloading the huge M2TW patch, and saw this had been updated since I last played it. So I had to stop the patch dl and give this a go again. I went with the altered province income and started a game as the Ukita. Went well intially, then I got embroiled in a war with Asai. Long story short, I win the war thanks to allies but get crippled by support costs. With three provinces as the Ukita I was paying around half or more of my income to support my Daimyo + heirs.

So I just spent that game using my meager income to build up my provinces and get a feel for things again. It finally ended when the Mori got tired of all my castle building and invaded.

So after that one I edited the support costs for Hatamoto down to 64(so its 88 for Heirs/Regular, 96 for King) and started a game as the Mori. I expanded into rebel held lands, then consolidated my games making allies as I prepared to deal with the Amako. My slow buildup must have annoyed the Ukita however(funny how that goes) and they declare war on me in 1497. Naturally the Amako who I refused to allie(so I wouldn't be seen as a backstabber when I finally did invade) also declared war on me.

I got tossed into a two front war with all of my provinces able to be attacked, not an attractive position. Luckily, the Ukita were also at war with the Sanada, so they could only send a token force or two at me now and then without risking their own lands to a Sanada assault. With them occupied I focused on breaking the back of the Amako. We went back and forth for a decade, him raiding and me retreating into fortresses or fighting.

I managed to win all the battles and releive those that looked too risky, until finally I saw Iwami open and invaded. With their forces stretched thin they didn't fight, and I got a nice bit of plunder. That made them desperate, so only a few years later our armies met in battle. It was disasterous for them, my warrior monks chewed up their few elite units and ripped apart their ashigaru. After that they had Nagato rebel and I took Iwami once more, then finally Izumo.

They last of their forces got defeated in Izumo, then I seiged their Daimyo to death finishing off the Amako. Interestingly, my Daimyo died the same year as the Amako. I guess he died happy knowing they were vanquished as well. I've spent the few years since shoring up the defenses and re-building my armies. I'm going to consolidate my gains a bit quicker this time, then move agains the Ukita. After that...perhaps the Miyoshi, depends on how Japan looks then.

Heres my game in 1516:

Having alot of fun with beta 8, though I know it'll probably spoil me and leave me wishing M2TW was like it when I finally get around to reinstalling it and patching.
    "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Don't know if anyones reading this thread anymore, but I might as well update. After the Amako I consolidated my gains as plans, then led the assault on Ukita. They fell pretty quickly, having mostly ashigaru. After them I had another long period of teching up and building my armies before moving on to the Miyoshi in like 1554, conquest of their island took a decade or so. Though I had to occupy it with my main army for longer to keep rebellion down.

They put up the hardest fight yet, having more trained(non-ashigaru) troops than the Amako or Ukita. I'm only playing on normal, but the battles have been interesting because i've been playing it so only my Daimyo can command the offensive attacks. So far, my best Daimyo has been the starting one, and after that a 3 star skilled attacked. My current one is only a 1 Star due to Pride, but is also a Great Warrior so I plan to get some good use out of him in the 20-30 years he has left.

Right now i'm at another crossroads, i've spent the past couple of decades consolidating and teching up. Now i've got a couple modern armies ready to go bash some skulls. I could either try to wipe out the Otomo, Ryou-whatever, and Shimazu to secure my southern borders, or launch an invasion of Oda's territory once they finish off the Asai. The Oda are obviously the bigger threat, but I would like to take all of the south under Mori control.

Anyway, heres the look in 1581:
    "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Thanks for the feedback on the campaign game. I haven't tried Mori, but you have a long way to go to win. The campaign won't go beyond 1868 IIRC, so you have about 270 turns left to win it. Faction re-emergence can really slow you down, so I maintain fairly strong garrisions in all my provinces which unfortunately also slows down my expansion. I would worry if one clan starts to dominate the northern half of the map, so you would probably want to take action against a clan that becomes significantly stronger than the other clans. The new province incomes reduce the difference in income between the northern and southern halves of the map, so I don't think it's absolutely necessary to always go for the northern half which leaves you with the two strategic options you now have.

On normal difficulty playing Ashikaga, I've only been able to get control of 9 provinces by 1632, but I did eliminate Oda. Playing Oda I controlled 14 provinces by 1631, and 25 provinces by 1740. That only leaves me 130 turns to get the remaining 39 provinces, but I have almost all of the northern half of the map.

To save money, I disband the hatamoto that no longer have heirs. However, that can put the AI at a disadvantage because it doesn't do that. On the other hand, the AI makes its moves after you make yours, so that's an advantage for the AI.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 08-28-2007 at 04:20.

Awww! There's an end-date? I want to plunge the "known world" into feudal war for unending aeons!

I'm playing with the altered income, and cheaper Hatamoto support costs so I haven't been disbanding them. They've been a mobile reserve/garrison force. For normal garrisons I occupy until they settle down, then leave one unit of Yari Samurai/Samurai Archers as the garrison. More expensive then ashigaruiunits, but I can pull garrisons to build a better defensive army in the event of an evasion.

Anyway, I decided to go south and landed on the only Otomo province, going for all or nothing(my 20 something year old heir-less Daimyo led armies). Luckily, my modern army crushed the Otomo and I got a healthy respect for the power of my Japanese Teppo. From there I made quick work of the Shimazu, they had been in a war with the Ryuzoji too long to muster up a large army. After I took them out I was going to turn on the Ryuzoji, but they beat me to the punch and attacked.

They severed my trade network and connections with my territory, making rebellion a very real possibilities as I scrambled to shuffle garrisons around to compensate. This disruption didn't save the Ryuzoji though, as my army was still enough to roll over their provinces. I had to kill three of their Daimyos before it ended, and fight one battle with the odds against me but I brought all of their lands under my control.

I turned my one-star Daimyo into a three-star general with seven influence, who killed 5 Daimyos(1 Otomo, 1 Shimazu, and 3 Ryuzoji) before he finally died at age 51. Just on the heels of his death the rise of Mori Motonari the III to power came the re-emergence of the Asai. I had to shuffle garrisons again, but they were happy enough to consume the rebel territories left from the Usegai civil war and marry one of my princesses...

That is, until they attacked a few years later(should have known something was up when they wouldn't give me a Princess to marry). But by then I had move defensive armies into position, and my offensive army was back on the mainlad recovering from the long campaign. Once it was fully restored I marched against the Asai with my Daimyo at the head as always, they retreated at first. Then got crushed in a field battle that saw 800 kills and 1700 prisoners.

The Asai Daimyo had "Retreats Often" from his failed assault and retreating from the first assault, so not much of a suprise there. Their faction died on the battlefield, and I kept things on the move, turning south against the Oda. Normally I might have waited, but they had broken their alliance with me in favor of the Asai. So I allied with the re-emerged Hogangi and marched on Tambi and Yasa-whatsit(the one with Kyoto). Took Tambi with a quick fight, and they retreated from Kyoto.

Now its 40 years later from the last update, and i'm preparing to wipe out the Oda. To this end I built an all-Kensai army for kicks, and i'm preparing to land it along the Oda's eastern coast. Its led by a 6-star hero Kensai. They all have full armor/weapon upgrades, so they'll start with max armor/weapons and 4 valour. This late i'm not sure how we'll they'll do, but it should be entertaining to watch.

Japan in 1621:
    Last edited by ChaosLord; 08-29-2007 at 02:47.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

Hey ChaosLord,

thanks for the campaign feedback. It's always nice to know that people are playing the campaign and are having fun. I think you're doing very well.
    I'm curious, do you play on normal difficulty? I think that anything harder can get very frustrating on the battle field. Do you use any Shinobi to keep order in provinces or do just use garrisons?

R'as

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Playing on normal, and no Shinobis. I was going to place one in every province, but was conserving koku early and never got around to building the structures for them. So ended up just using garrisons. Worked well enough though, never suffered any rebellions or re-emergences on my own land. Anyway I finished my game as the Mori, after I swept through Oda-land and took a province from the Hoganji(after they backstabbed me) I got the option for the partial win and control of shogunate.

I went ahead and took it since the only threat left was the Takeda, and they'd like lose 1/3rd of their provinces to me before committing to a field battle and by then it'd be over for them. I'm going to try moving up to hard now, and playing one of the northern clans. All the chokepoints in the south make things too easy I think, along with the abundant iron. The game ended in 1631.

Hi,
    I just finished a Shimazu-campaign on expert (conquered the last province in 1610), now giving Oda a try (expert). Imho the campaign difficulty level is way too low, its 1520 now and i have already started owning the AI-controlled clans, hauling in an obscene income, dominating the seas.

From my observation the AI´s main problem is that when it conquers a province too many buildings are destroyed or damaged leaving the AI effectively crippled very soon.

And of course it cant handle naval warfare, an aspect of the game which is too easy to be exploited by the human player.
    Might be a good idea to remove all the ships from the game.
    And the rebels shud either be removed or made insanely strong ,
    and the rebelliousness of all provinces shud be raised somewhat, requiring the player to focus more on securing rear areas, its too easy now to concentrate all forces on the frontlines and overwhelm the AI.

Otherwise its a sweet mod!

And its a bad idea to assign command stars to provincial titles since the AI will always appoint the highest ranking general available at that time to govenor regardless of his acumen.

Quote Originally Posted by N00bunaga
    And its a bad idea to assign command stars to provincial titles since the AI will always appoint the highest ranking general available at that time to govenor regardless of his acumen.
    So if we remove the command stars the AI will assign governors based on acumen? If that's so, I think we should make that change in the next release.

I just finished a Shimazu-campaign on expert (conquered the last province in 1610), now giving Oda a try (expert). Imho the campaign difficulty level is way too low, its 1520 now and i have already started owning the AI-controlled clans, hauling in an obscene income, dominating the seas.
    Are you using the modified province incomes? How many provinces do you control, and what is your income and expenses in 1520? What strategy are you using?

I thought it was necessary to maintain sizable garrisons in each province to prevent faction re-emergence. If not, then land expansion could be faster than I was thinking it could be. I know it's relatively easy to dominate the sea, but my experience is that it retards land expansion as you build up naval power.

Expert difficulty gives the AI a 30% advantage in battle whereas a two command star advantage gives a 40% advantage, so if you routinely have a two command star advantage that more than compensates for the expert difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzz3D
    Are you using the modified province incomes? How many provinces do you control, and what is your income and expenses in 1520? What strategy are you using?
    No, vanilla STW income; in 1520 I controll the center of Honshu from the Owari-Omi-Wakasa line to Harima-Inaba.
    I earn 19,563 koku (7,198 trade income) for 8,581 upkeep per turn leaving me with 10,982 net income.
    My top provinces are Owari, Ise and Kii. Each with 9-Acumen+Steward+FamousTrader+100%FarmUp, this trio reaps in more than 10,000 per turn.

In the opening I grabbed Ise, Iga and Yamato, built up for the inevitable AI-attack, fought off a more or less coordinated Ashikaga-Honganji-Hosokawa offensive and grabbed Yamashiro, Kii, Kawachi, Tamba, Wakasa, Tajima, Harima, Inaba in that order, built a fleet meanwhile. I stayed low tech with YariAshigaru and SamuraiArchers forming the bulk of my forces plus a few NoDachi and WarriorMonks.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzz3D
    I thought it was necessary to maintain sizable garrisons in each province to prevent faction re-emergence.
    Right now, all you need are 2 Ashigaru units to keep a province at bay almost forever.
    The main factor for determining rebelliousness is the distance between a specific province and the Daimyo. With a ship in every sea region no province is more than 2 jumps away from the Daimyo, so no rebellion can ever happen after you have pacified a province.

I tested this with my Shimazu campaign: once I removed the ships rebellions and faction reemergencies(sp?) took place all over the map unless I had thousands of men in a province and so my 59 province-empire with tens of thousands of soldiers collapsed within a few years (i had no shinobis, bad idea)

And I noticed that the AI´s force composition just sucks. It masses those useless AshigaruXBows but no Archers, and of course has no idea how to use them. And from my observation the AI absolutely needs a well balanced army or else it will loose most of the time despite having superior numbers and good leaders on its side.

No, vanilla STW income; in 1520 I controll the center of Honshu from the Owari-Omi-Wakasa line to Harima-Inaba.
    I earn 19,563 koku (7,198 trade income) for 8,581 upkeep per turn leaving me with 10,982 net income.
    My top provinces are Owari, Ise and Kii. Each with 9-Acumen+Steward+FamousTrader+100%FarmUp, this trio reaps in more than 10,000 per turn.
    This problem also arises with the rich northern provinces. The modified province incomes (scroll down to barocca's post #95) reduce the economic advantage of owning a few rich provinces. We calculated new incomes for all of the provinces with a formula that maintains the total average income for all of Japan but narrows the distribution around that average. Under the old STW incomes, Owari + Ise + Kii = 2518 koku. Under the new income structure that trio of provinces = 1919 koku which is a 24% reduction in income. The reverse happens for provinces under the average as those incomes increase.

That 19,563 koku income is a more than I thought was possible for Oda with those province holdings. I didn't realize that trade income could be that high. The relatively easy domination of the sea by the player is perhaps the main factor here which also removes any threat of enemy naval invasion. Removing ships altogether seems drastic but would stop the player from gaining a economic advantage over AI clans via sea trade. That would remove the possibility of naval invasions, but AFAIK there were no naval invasions that took place historically during the Sengoku Jidai.

Right now, all you need are 2 Ashigaru units to keep a province at bay almost forever. The main factor for determining rebelliousness is the distance between a specific province and the Daimyo. With a ship in every sea region no province is more than 2 jumps away from the Daimyo, so no rebellion can ever happen after you have pacified a province.

I tested this with my Shimazu campaign: once I removed the ships rebellions and faction reemergencies(sp?) took place all over the map unless I had thousands of men in a province and so my 59 province-empire with tens of thousands of soldiers collapsed within a few years (i had no shinobis, bad idea)
    Right. So, once again the player gains a large advantage simply by dominating the sea regions which is very easy to do due to the ineptitude of the naval AI.

And I noticed that the AI´s force composition just sucks. It masses those useless AshigaruXBows but no Archers, and of course has no idea how to use them. And from my observation the AI absolutely needs a well balanced army or else it will loose most of the time despite having superior numbers and good leaders on its side.
    I think the xbow should be removed. It was very hard to balance that unit because the AI doesn't use ranged units very well; especially units with long reload times. Making the xbow stronger in firepower won't help because the player will exploit that to his advantage. Without the xbow unit the AI will have to train archers which I think it uses better due to their short reload time. Therefore, the AI clans may fair better in the early battles vs the player, and these early battles are critical.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 05-17-2008 at 16:03.

Thanks for this mod. I'm currently in the middle of a great campaign with Date, where my home and adjacent provinces have been captured and rescued multiple times! Oda is now the superpower and I'm off to fight an eight star Sanuki general who outnumbers me 2 to 1 and just betrayed our alliance... good times I guess! The AI does feel superior to Shoggy at points so it's great for my laptop play.

Never laugh at the old when they offer counsel,
    Often their words are wise:
    From shriveled skin, from scraggy things

That hand among the hides
    And move amid the guts,
    Clear words often come.

http://asatru.org/havamal.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123