Thread: Mods for Barbarian Invasion?

Default Mods for Barbarian Invasion?

Hi again.

First of all, let me thank the developer team for such a great mod. I've played the roman faction to the peak of their glory about 30BC. I tried to be "somewhat" historical accurate, so i couldn't win the game by victory conditions. Anyway, I had a lot of fun.

Second, now that my roman empire is at the top, i would like to see it fall and decline, so I'm asking, are there any good mods like this for barbarian Invasion?

Post Re: Mods for Barbarian Invasion?

Invasio Barbarorum
    Good mod with good gameplay at a good speed. Shame about some of the skins and the UI pack (which makes the interface unreadable).

EBII Mapper and Animator Member -Praetor-'s Avatar

Default Re: Mods for Barbarian Invasion?

Quote Originally Posted by Fixiwee
    Hi again.

First of all, let me thank the developer team for such a great mod. I've played the roman faction to the peak of their glory about 30BC. I tried to be "somewhat" historical accurate, so i couldn't win the game by victory conditions. Anyway, I had a lot of fun.
    30 BC?????

I presume you are playing your game since the first day of the release of 0.74 ...

So is this like Europa Barbarorum but for the migration period?

Post Re: Mods for Barbarian Invasion?

Quote Originally Posted by the_handsome_viking
    So is this like Europa Barbarorum but for the migration period?
    Not really. It doesn't have the same features as EB. It is lacking the government system, the traits system, good skins and the map covers a smaller area. It is however a good historically accurate mod.
    Invasio Barbarorum my review:
    7/10 Gameplay
    2/10 Skins
    10/10 Historical Accuracy
    8/10 New Buildings
    4/10 Traits (same as RTW)
    10/10 New Factions
    68/100 or 68.33% or 6.83/10 Overall

I would not, however, suggest that you download the UI pack.
    Last edited by MSB; 10-29-2006 at 14:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Avlvs Brittanicus
    Not really. It doesn't have the same features as EB. It is lacking the government system, the traits system, good skins and the map covers a smaller area. It is however a good historically accurate mod.
    7/10 Gameplay
    2/10 Skins
    8/10 New Buildings
    10/10 New Factions

I see, I'm actually pretty tempted to download it becasue I'm very interested in the migration period and the rise of the Frankish empire etc.

Some of the skins in this mod actually look O.K, what is it you don't like about them?

And also, what are the chances of the EB team working on a barbarian invasion mod with the same dedication to historical accuracy and innovation in terms of government systemas and traits systems and good skins etc of Europa Barbarorum?

I'd definitely like to see such a thing come into being.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

I'd recommend Goth's all factions mod for BI. It's nothing like EB in the scale of effort, but it is a very under-appreciated mod, IMO.

It "fixes" the combat so that it plays more like MTW (or EB or RTR) in speed (kill rates, move speeds, morale etc).

It changes the units and unit skins to be very nice - a lot are shared with IBFD.

It enlarges the map and spices up the factions - so you start out with the Romano-British etc.

It pumps up the hordes and separates the Huns/Vandals more, so they don't cancel each other out.

Above, all it's a very stable mod and not a work in progress, so you should not have any CTDs or weird stuff going on.

Thumbs down Re: Mods for Barbarian Invasion?

Some of the skins in this mod actually look O.K, what is it you don't like about them?

If you look at this image then the crest looks pretty un-detailed. The arms of the tunic look rather plain and un-battle like. Also the chain-mail looks un-naturally new and clean.

If you look at this image then the horse's cloak looks un-natural. It looks very 2D MTW to me. Also the reigns look very shiny to say that the horse is in battle. Also the underside of the horse seems to be missing a skin. Everything simply looks as if it is brand new.

What I don't like about them is their un-realism. They seem to be unnaturally clean and all of the skins seem to be amazingly dark which causes them to be harder to see when you are commanding them. It is, however, a good mod and I would advise people to try it.

And also, what are the chances of the EB team working on a barbarian invasion mod with the same dedication to historical accuracy and innovation in terms of government systemas and traits systems and good skins etc of Europa Barbarorum?
    Not likely. The interests of the team members are in the eras of Classical Greece, the Hellenistic period, the Roman Republic, etc; essentially, the current time frame of the EB mod itself. However, it would be much more of a possibility if another team were to utilize EB's work in such things like scripting, government, et al in their own mod for BI - something I don't think the team would be against.

7/10 Gameplay
    2/10 Skins
    8/10 New Buildings
    10/10 New Factions

I have IB whats so bad about its skins, and there are extra traits,perhaps not the "stop in winter" thing, but still, and the Map covers exactly the same area.

And those are only a couple units, and even with those things, it doesn't deserve a 2/10,

I like both of the two Barbarorums.
    Last edited by Olaf The Great; 10-29-2006 at 22:40.
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

If you look at this image then the crest looks pretty un-detailed. The arms of the tunic look rather plain and un-battle like. Also the chain-mail looks un-naturally new and clean.

If you look at this image then the horse's cloak looks un-natural. It looks very 2D MTW to me. Also the reigns look very shiny to say that the horse is in battle. Also the underside of the horse seems to be missing a skin. Everything simply looks as if it is brand new.

What I don't like about them is their un-realism. They seem to be unnaturally clean and all of the skins seem to be amazingly dark which causes them to be harder to see when you are commanding them. It is, however, a good mod and I would advise people to try it.
    I checked out the mod and a lot of the stuff seemed quite cool, but I can see what you mean about the skins, they need to be a bit more detailed.

Quote Originally Posted by abou
    Not likely. The interests of the team members are in the eras of Classical Greece, the Hellenistic period, the Roman Republic, etc; essentially, the current time frame of the EB mod itself. However, it would be much more of a possibility if another team were to utilize EB's work in such things like scripting, government, et al in their own mod for BI - something I don't think the team would be against.
    Have the EB and the IB teams contacted each other about this?

No idea; however, from what Khlevan has stated, the EB team and various other teams such as RTR do talk - again, I don't know to what degree or how often.

Mods do not seem to be adverse to using others' works (with permission of course). For example, I do know that EB used or still uses another modder's 4-season script. In this case, I think it is more of an issue of the Invisio Barbarorum team needing to approach EB and requesting use of previous work.

Quote Originally Posted by abou
    No idea; however, from what Khlevan has stated, the EB team and various other teams such as RTR do talk - again, I don't know to what degree or how often.

Mods do not seem to be adverse to using others' works (with permission of course). For example, I do know that EB used or still uses another modder's 4-season script. In this case, I think it is more of an issue of the Invisio Barbarorum team needing to approach EB and requesting use of previous work.
    I think from an educational point of view and a historical accuracy point of view that the two modding teams should at least trade a few ideas, I'd really like to see a Migration Period mod for Barbarian Invasion with the sheer amount of depth that Europa Barbarorum has.