Thread: Simple Religion Change mod Plz...

Unhappy Simple Religion Change mod Plz...

Ok, I see all these grand, I mean colossal mods in the works. What I want is something simple, really I'd do it myself if someone could tell me which files to look at. I just want to make ONE small change, I want to redefine Milan to Orthodox and give it orthodox buildings/units and make it so that the pope has no influence over them.

Historically they should be out of favor with the Papacy and quite disliked by the populace of Rome as soon as the game starts. Milan was not you're token Catholic kingdom, their little country actually passed laws that the Pope disfavored and became something of a hotbed for "heretical" art and expression. They had non-catholic houses of worship due to a population of Christians who considered the Pope to be an Idol (in a bad way). With that and the pomposity the nobles often addressed the representatives of "His Holiness" Milan should at least be able to choose which direction it's going to go, or at least have a high rate of religious unrest and family bedrail in the start.

Cmmon... CMMON! Cmmon!

Default Re: Simple Religion Change mod Plz...

Giving factions another religion is very simple.

Giving them the buildings of another faction is currently not possible (that is, the graphics).

I made a mod to turn the Danes into Pagans, and I learned quite a bit from that.

Here's what you have to do in a step by step list:

1. Download the M2TW_data_files provided by Epistalotory_Richard (from now ER, since I can't spell).
    2. Unpack the M2TW_data_files somewhere.
    3. Create a directory in your M2TW installation directory that you can give any name (example will use mymod)
    4. Create a directory ../mymod/data
    5. Copy the original world & sounds directories into ../mymod/data/world & ../mymod/data/sounds
    6. Open from the M2TW_data_files descr_sm_factions.txt and find Milan and change the religion from catholic --> orthodox
    7. Save this file in ../mymod/data (under the same name)
    8. Open from the M2TW_data_files export_descr_buildings.txt
    9. find the building tree of building temple_catholic and copy this one.
    10. find the building tree of building temple_catholic_castle and copy this one too
    11. remove from the two original building trees all references to milan.
    12. remove from the two copied building trees all references but milan.
    13. change in the two building trees you copied, the line: religion catholic into religion orthodox
    14. add to building icon_art your own faction (after greek, russia (and don't forget the comma on the end))
    15. Optionally, find the building temple_orthodox lines, and copy the numbers in the lines happiness_bonus, religion_level and agent_limit instead of the numbers used in the two copies of the catholic curch.
    16. save this file in ../mymod/data (under the same name)
    17. Copy your original .preference.cfg to the same directory under a differet name. for example. mymod.cfg
    18. open the .cfg and add to the end
      Code:
      [features]
      mod=mymod
    19. start notepad and type the following
      Code:
      medieval2.exe @mymod.cfg
    20. save this file in your medieval 2 directory.
    21. change the name of this file to whatever you want, as long as the extension ends in .bat (mymod.bat for example)
    22. start mymod.bat and play with Orthodox Milanese and no more nagging from the pope.

Really optional, play around with desc_character.txt file and you can probably get orthodox looking priests too.

Now, this only changes your faction into an orthodox faction. Your regions are still catholic and this will cause quite some religious unrest. Strangely enough changing the faith of the regions in your modded directory desc_regions.txt file doesn't seem to be working so if anyone figures that bit out, please do tell.

I am currently tinkering with adding new religions, allthough I don't have the time to actually test that bit yet.

also I wonder if there's any way to change the religion of a faction AFTER the game has begun. As was possible in Barbarian Invasion (although religion worked completely different there).

Well the bit I explained in detail works like a charm, I've played a bit with Pagan Danes and it was quite a bit of fun.

Changing graphics is as of yet still not possible, but I'm waiting for the possibillity to toy around with that too. I think that Jews, different groups of Pagans and potentially even Reformist versions of existing nations should be quite fun to add.

Dingo

So, to be clear, by this method I can convert Milan to an Orthadox faction, change their Temples from Catholic to Orthadox structures, and use the same Building Icon that Russia use but can not add new icons?

Quote Originally Posted by Valentine82
    So, to be clear, by this method I can convert Milan to an Orthadox faction, change their Temples from Catholic to Orthadox structures, and use the same Building Icon that Russia use but can not add new icons?
    With this method you can convert Milan (or any other faction you want) to any religion.

The religious building they have will covert the population to the religion you desire. As of now you cannot add new graphics, so these religious buildings will still use the catholic church buildings.

As for the Iconographer, this building is not available normally to Milan, but the placeholder picture you get for buildings that lack pictures is a Roman Villa and it has an effect and causes no problems that I can see.

(Actually I think that using the placeholder building you can create any building you want, it just doesn't have any graphics or text descriptions).

Dingo

Could you post exactly how you made Denmark pagan? I've been desperately trying to do this.

Default I'd like to learn more

Quote Originally Posted by d1ng0d0g View Post
    Giving factions another religion is very simple.

Giving them the buildings of another faction is currently not possible (that is, the graphics).

I made a mod to turn the Danes into Pagans, and I learned quite a bit from that.

Well the bit I explained in detail works like a charm, I've played a bit with Pagan Danes and it was quite a bit of fun.

Changing graphics is as of yet still not possible, but I'm waiting for the possibillity to toy around with that too. I think that Jews, different groups of Pagans and potentially even Reformist versions of existing nations should be quite fun to add.

Dingo
    I would sincerely like to learn more about the changes you made to the Danes; as I would like to do something similar with the Irish (M2TW Kingdoms Grand Campaign Mod). It would be especially nice if one can create (and/or convert princesses to) witches.

So hopefully you're still around and will have the time to assist.

Thanks.

SK

Quote Originally Posted by Halts View Post
    Could you post exactly how you made Denmark pagan? I've been desperately trying to do this.
    I see that it's been 10 years since the original response and five since yours. Did you ever get a response or find the information you were looking for; as I'm looking as well?

SK