Thread: i'm making a trait editor

Default i'm making a trait editor

Like the topic says, i started making a trait editor, and could use a little feedback as it's my first serious (although small) project outside of the classroom :)

Working in C# in VS2005. Here's how it looks so far, ignore my windows theme, the editor will use your standard windows theme colours.

Functionalities as of right now: load a export_descr_character_traits.txt file, whatever the name, it must match the commented out header of the original file though. It loads all traits in the left box, select a trait from the left and it loads all the info for the trait. Choose the traitlevel you want to change and edit in the 2nd panel (not enough screen real estate to fit it on 1 panel)

I'm finishing the code to remember your changes when you select another trait. Next up is saving the file again :)

I will need to alter my code to load the triggers (ca has triggers with the same name but different code, which is giving me a hard time reusing my existing code for the traits)

Last step would be to link this file with the one with the descriptions of the traits.

i'm not planning to incorporate checks so you can't assign merchants traits to family members and the like

Is this useful at all? Any suggestions or functionalities i missed out on (as far as you can tell from the screenies)?

*Update 10/12* Latest version (Define new traits) : TraitEditor
    Last edited by Brighdaasa; 12-10-2006 at 22:26.

Default Re: i'm making a trait editor

update: i finished my first (and incomplete) version of the traits editor

what's in:
    * load a traits text file
    * edit any values of the traits, changes will be remembered when you select another trait or trait level
    * save, save as

what's not in:
    *loading and changing triggers
    *adding new traits or trait levels
    *linking the traits file with the traits descriptions file
    *trait consistency checks: you are responsible for not assinging the wrong traits to the wrong character class for example (like good commander for merchants and the like)
    *numerical value & range checks: enter numbers where required, your game will crash if you don't

i haven't tried running a mod with my new file, but loading and saving the original makes for 100% match, down to the last space, so i don't see why it wouldn't run

any suggestions, bugs, additions missing in my to-do list: let me know here or at lightning400@hotmail.com, but use a fitting subject, or your email will disappear with the spam

i know it's incomplete yet, but editing traits should be fully functional

i hosted it on rapidshare, be my guest to host it yourself

Trait Editor
    Last edited by Brighdaasa; 12-10-2006 at 14:04.

I'm having a bit of a problem- I can't seem to get it working, I double click and nothing happens. It shows up briefly under processes and then disappears. Is there somewher in particular I should put the program or somethin? Thanks.
    T.R.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Looks good, definately one to download when I eventually get around to modding the game, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TopRamen
    I'm having a bit of a problem- I can't seem to get it working, I double click and nothing happens. It shows up briefly under processes and then disappears. Is there somewher in particular I should put the program or somethin? Thanks.
    T.R.
    You can place it anywhere, but you need the .NET framework (most probably 2.0), you can download it from the microsoft website..NET Framework 2.0

I also made a booboo, so new upload(also updated the other posts):

TraitEditor

Deleting the exe will completely remove the trait editor from your pc, there's nothing in the registry.

It should work now, i hope :)
    Last edited by Brighdaasa; 12-10-2006 at 14:06.

Update:
    New version available. You can now make new traits, and fixed some bugs. Let me know if you find more bugs.
    I've tested the generated files, the campaign starts perfectly well (if you don't create inconsistencies and use sensible numerical data where appropriate).

Trait Editor

Next update, besides fixing critical bugs should any appear, will be linking the trait description file for easy editing, when that works i'll start on the triggers.

Enjoy!

Looks really nice.

Few advices:
    You should sort Traits and Anti traits list alphabetically so its easier to find what you are looking for.

I hope you consider including all Trait stuff in this program to avoid inconsistencies.
    So not only Trait and Triggers but also descriptions. To avoid things like adding trait and forgetting the descriptions.

Keep up the good work.

I'm indeed working on including the descriptions and triggers. Currently trigger docudemon files are a mess and i'm working through the data to implement easy editing of traits, the descriptions and enum files are easier, i think i'll have those finished somewhere next week.

And i must have forgot to tick the option to sort the traits list, i did it for a few other listboxes, it'll be fixed in the next version.

Thank you for the feedback!

What are you supposed to load?

The file that you're supposed to load is named export_descr_character_traits.txt in the /data folder, but the name doesn't really matter ie. you can save it under any name and then load that file. I'll work in the default name of the text file you're supposed to load somewhere. I had a busy week with school projects, but i'm still working on the trait editor.

yeah i realized it was that file but I tried making a trait and when in game when i used the give_trait command it couldn't find the trait

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

This is EXCELLENT. Keep it up ! We've needed this for a while now.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Good work! But I cannot use your trait editor, because the file has been deleted.

Bye!
    Last edited by Temistocles; 01-05-2007 at 14:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Temistocles
    But I cannot use your trait editor, because the file has been deleted.
    I sure hope not because of the editor?

Anyway, update is still coming, swamped with school work. I realize it's not of much use atm because it doesn't edit all files necessary to use the traits in the game, but i'm not releasing something i know is bugged or not working as intended.

Is this still being worked on?

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowStriker View Post
    Is this still being worked on?
    Quote Originally Posted by TopRamen View Post
    T.R.
    I have made a guide for this trait editor, kudos to brighdaasa for making this wonderful editor.
    the link to the guide is here https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...s-trait-editor

Brighdaasa, would you reupload this tool on another FREE website??

If anyone still has this tool sitting around and feels generous enough to upload it to a still functioning site I'd be very appreciative.

Has anyone found a new download link for this? I'd really like to try this out