Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Question About Upgrading/Training Troops

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: A Question About Upgrading/Training Troops

Slightly off-topic, but I know that valour is kept per man in a unit. Does anyone know if the men in the units are arraigned in any kind of order based on their valour rank, or is it random? In battle, are they lined up highest valour front/left-most, descending left to right?

Which brings me to an on-topic question: When merging units together, do the higher (or lower) valour men get moved first, or is it all pretty much random?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Revolting Peasant Member marcusbrutus's Avatar

I'm not 100% sure but when merging units the lowest valour in the unit seem to move first. This makes it harder to create uber units by merging (unless you can merge two whole units together) although I always merge 2nd highest valour unit into highest valour unit and never the other way around.
    "Semper in Mira. Solum Profundum Variat."
    - Geoff Lee, One Spring (2002)

"Game graphics are like bikinis - it's not about what you show, it's about what you leave to the imagination."
    marcusbrutus

Believer of Murphy's Law Member Sensei Warrior's Avatar

I will agree with marcusbrutus on the above. When merging units together it seems like the least valour go first. Of course I have absolutely no proof of this, but it seems that way to me. I merge the lower valour unit into the higher one, but I have never tried the opposite to see if it works better. I mean you always hear the vets complaining about being reinforced with 'boys fresh out of boot', not the other way around.
    Every weapon has evolved from the same basic design, either a rock or a sharp pointy stick.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

These responses would indicate some sort of ordering then. I suppose it would be possible to create uber-units by using 4 units. Take 1 low-valour unit missing troops, merge a high-valour unit into it (which removes the lower valour men from this unit). Do the same with another low and high pair. Then merge the remnants of the 2 higher valour units together for a full, high-valour unit.

It would be interesting if there was an ordering on the battlefield as well. Knowing which side/rank of a unit has higher valour might be useful in a fight.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Member Member Asteroids Champion, Run N Gun Champion, Hook Line & Sinker Champion, Zoo Keeper Champion, Street Racer Champion, Pipe Mania Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Boxteroid Champion, Spider Jump Champion, Asteroids 2k3 Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Desert Battle Champion, Soap Bubble Champion, Burger Time Champion, Bug Juice Champion, Plastic Saucer Champion, Quick Shot Champion, Shuriken Challenge Champion, James Bomb Champion, Gary Golf Champion, Red Beard Champion, Crazy Cars Champion, Cell-Out Champion, Space Runner Champion, Submarine Champion, Space Rescue Champion, Roller Blaze Champion, Cub Shoot 2 Champion, Radial Snake Champion, Kirby's Star Scramble Champion, Chicken Champion, Shootout Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Space Hunter Champion, Jail Break Champion, Squirrel Soccer Champion, Mouse Kill Champion, Treasure Diver Champion, Stuart's Xtreme Skateboarding Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Takion Champion, Jet Pac Stan Champion, Warthog Launch Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Gandys Quest Champion, Iceberg Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion, Shoot The Gatso Champion, QB Challenge Champion, Fall Down Champion, Invasion 2196 Champion, Frogger Champion, Skeleton Park Champion, Slack Man Champion, Fishing the Sea Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Ollie Skates Champion, Duck Tracker Champion, Bunny Grab Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, jetpacker Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Lift Champion, Brighton Bounty Champion, V:force Champion, Twelve Swap Champion, Tiger Moth Champion, Super Mario Mushroom Champion, Rotation Champion, Jack's Bar Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Ninja Turtles 2 Champion, Ping Champion, Killer Bob Champion, Cop-For-This Champion, Battle of Helms Deep Champion, Life Bouy Champion, Ice Racer Champion, Ghost 2000 Champion, Its Mine Champion, Home Run Rally Champion, Alien Invasion Champion, Homeland Defense Champion, KF 9000 Champion, Stick Avalanche Champion, Paintball Champion, What-A-Shot Champion, Reactor Champion, Grand Prix Challenge 2 Champion, Mars Patrol Champion, Starcastle Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Sonny Sunshine Champion, Home Run Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Pin Headz Champion, Fun Santa Champion, Mission Mars Champion, Tontie Champion ConjurerDragon's Avatar

In the Viking Campaign I wonder in which order I should build Mercian Huscarls to get both benefits.
    First in Wessex (for the +1 valour) and then retrain for the armour in Mierce that has iron?
    Or would I lose the valour from Wessex that way and should build them first in Mierce for the armour and then retraining in Wessex for the valour?

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Upgrades are cumulative, so once you've done one, it won't go away if you retrain in another province with lower stats. Which means you can swap units between Mierce and Wessex in any order, they'll get both upgrades once they've been through both provinces.
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Member thankful for this post:

Wow !

I hadn't "picked up" this thread before now. Very interesting.
    I think I will be retraining even more of my troops from now on to get the maximum from them.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macsen rufus View Post
    Upgrades are cumulative, so once you've done one, it won't go away if you retrain in another province with lower stats. Which means you can swap units between Mierce and Wessex in any order, they'll get both upgrades once they've been through both provinces.
    Oooh, sweet! I didn't know that. Thanks!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12