Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: City Mod

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Default Re: City Mod

Well, if you haven't reached your victory conditions by they time you reach the default date (120BC?), then you'll get them then, still. But I think getting the victory conditions is easier than waiting till 120BC. I didn't want to make them easy, but I did want to make them achievable.

I don't recall the official reform triggers, but they are different. First one includes building a certain number of a certain level of market. Complex and historical.

I've also altered the Roman Reforms slightly, btw.

Ok, I've added The Errant's money script and population replenishment script adjustments and released a new version. I made a slight change, as suggested by mlp071 as well. I also took this time to make a couple other changes, the only noteworthy one being an adjustment to Taras.

Check the first post for the download link.

You have alot of nice features in your mod.I like limitations in cities , so they are all not same size in the end . Makes it more realistic.

good job

Thanks.

I was hoping this would be the last release for a while, but I just remembered a bunch or stuff I wanted to add. But right now I just feel, 'oh well.'

Great mod!!

I'm playing your mod as a base and edited some files with modifications that others modders made and I wanted to try, like mercenary (mpl071), elephant fixed, whatchman, thorlof battlesystem,force diplomacy, victory conditions..

My personal campaing Is going well, I'm nearly 210 and all faction have reasonable population, money and army. Potolemoi and Arche are the big powers, followed by Romani(me) and karthadast, well see what happens in the next years.

The perfect spy is enabled in citymod 2.1

Thanks!! and sorry for my english is pretty bad.
    Last edited by Tito Pullo; 06-16-2007 at 18:00.

Thanks.

I think population levels are actually too low. I've seen some AI cities reduced to 400 population. I think I'll have the original replenishment script in the next release.

I noticed the perfect spy thing too, I think it was either part of EBv0.81av2 or First Cohort mod, because I didn't alter it.

The spy is active in 0.81v2 but in the add on version I don't have full version installer. First cohort doesn't alter the script.

Changes to population replenish are savegame compatible?

Salu2

Quote Originally Posted by legionario pullo
    Changes to population replenish are savegame compatible?

Salu2
    Yeah, but I don't know if my next version will be. I have played a long campaign to test my minimod and have found a bunch of errors and stupid mistakes. Plus I've been making some adjustments to recruitment that I may add in then next version.

I wander if those errors you mention broke something important for the campain
    or make a permanet ctd, cause I'm playing a long campaing and I want to reach a victory condicion for the first time as romani ( I alway quit at 100 bc).
    I'm pretty pleased with this current campaing, Im kinda of roleplayer I give some historical flavour with some cheats.

No, nothing broken or serious, just stuff like noticing some cities getting big and thinking, "Why did I make that city get big?" Also some problems with the 'noroads' hidden_resource placement.

Uneasy with Command Member Treverer's Avatar

Hello there,

the link to download this mod is down ... for me at least. Does someone else have the some experience?

Thx in advance ...
    Towards the end of the book, the Moties quote an old story from Herodotus:

"Once there was a thief who was to be executed. As he was taken away he made a bargain with the king: In one year he would teach the king's favorite horse to sing hymns."
    "The other prisoners watched the thief singing to the horse and laughed. 'You will not succeed,' they told him. 'No one can.' To which the thief replied, 'I have a year, and who knows what will happen in that time. The king might die. The horse might die. I might die. And perhaps the horse will learn to sing.'"

The link is working now. The TWC was down earlier today, so I believe that was the problem.

Would the game work ok with Redmeth's improved mercenary script? I see you have already made money script changes to the game.

I'm pretty sure it will work. 99.999% sure.

You can always just check yourself, just make sure to backup the merc-file.

MAA: Love your mod. You should try and convince the EB team to include many of the CM featrues in the next EB build, such as: restricted roads, stone walls, popuation growth and huge cities. :D
    Last edited by Lovejoy; 08-06-2007 at 21:27.

Yeah, the merc file works fine with this mod. I almost added it, but didn't at the last minute.

Thanks Lovejoy. Some population growth reductions will be in the next EB build. And a while back there was talk about road restriction for the deserts. The team doesn't want to restrict city sizes, though. They feel it restricts too much on the possibilities of alternate history.

Arrow Re: City Mod

Hello there,

let me first thank you for your great (sub-) mod. I really enjoy playing it.
    But I experienced something very strange, a bug perhaps:
    playing with Pontos, I quickly got into massive debts, and I had CTDs after a while.
    Only after cheating myself out of debts, the CTDs stopped.

Yours,
    Treverer

"Once there was a thief who was to be executed. As he was taken away he made a bargain with the king: In one year he would teach the king's favorite horse to sing hymns."
    "The other prisoners watched the thief singing to the horse and laughed. 'You will not succeed,' they told him. 'No one can.' To which the thief replied, 'I have a year, and who knows what will happen in that time. The king might die. The horse might die. I might die. And perhaps the horse will learn to sing.'"

Something odd is happening. i reviewed the 4 pages of this thread and I've seen something similar in a few other people's responses.

I got a message that Rome reached its 12k population mark, but I couldn't build the next building to turn it into a large city. I think something maybe up with it because I upgraded a small town into a large town with no problem.

Treverer:
    That's odd. When did the CTDs happen? Did you have any towns that were nearly revolting and after you got money you stablized?

Ice:
    Well, you'll get the message whenever a city can upgrade, even if I have stopped the next level of upgrade. Rome should most definately be able to upgrade, though. I remember something like that happening to me once. I believe the problem is the map.rwm. Did you delete right after you installed this mini-mod (in the ...\Rome - Total War\EB\Data\world\maps\base\ folder)? Either way, delete again right now and reload your save.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    Treverer:
    That's odd. When did the CTDs happen? Did you have any towns that were nearly revolting and after you got money you stablized?

Ice:
    Well, you'll get the message whenever a city can upgrade, even if I have stopped the next level of upgrade. Rome should most definately be able to upgrade, though. I remember something like that happening to me once. I believe the problem is the map.rwm. Did you delete right after you installed this mini-mod (in the ...\Rome - Total War\EB\Data\world\maps\base\ folder)? Either way, delete again right now and reload your save.
    I tried, and it didn't work.

Oh yeah, I have more info on the problem. It's pretty bad. I can't upgrade past a large town. I tried Baktra and a steppe faction. Both had the same problem. I'll get the message, but I can't build the correct building. I'm not sure what is up. I'll try deleting the map.rwm again though.

Edit: Problem fixed. Apparently there were two map.rwms. I deleted them both this time and it worked. Go figure.
    Last edited by Ice; 08-07-2007 at 09:09.

Wink Re: City Mod

Treverer:
    Well, I think I have localized the problem:
    I played with an 'older' savegame, the game hadn't the the mod at its start. Well, I kept (& keep) playing giving me enough money to stay in the plus at the end of each turn (Though I do not need it anymore ...).

Call me cheater!

EDIT: OMG, me too! The map.rmw (rwm, rmv, rvm, vrm, rrr, mmm, www, ... )
    Last edited by Treverer; 08-07-2007 at 09:59.

The map.rwm sure can cause things to act weird sometimes.

Question Re: City Mod

A simple question: why is this (sub-) mod integrated in EB? At least the ..., let's call it "city-stuff". Well, maybe I should ask "why is this 'city-stuff' not part of vanilla RTW?"

One more question: When you say "Romans Reforms altered", what exactly does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Treverer
    A simple question: why is this (sub-) mod integrated in EB? At least the ..., let's call it "city-stuff". Well, maybe I should ask "why is this 'city-stuff' not part of vanilla RTW?"
    I'm sorry, I don't follow...
    Why didn't CA make city sizes limited to 'special' cities?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice
    One more question: When you say "Romans Reforms altered", what exactly does that mean?
    I made them slightly easier to get. Moved the dates a bit. I think I put it 250, 200, & 150 instead of 242, 172, & 132.
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; 08-07-2007 at 21:38.

I made them slightly easier to get. Moved the dates a bit. I think I put it 250, 200, & 150 instead of 242, 172, & 132.
    Oh nice. I never get the Marian troops because I always quit around 190 BC because I'm a gigantic superpower and it gets old. This should be fun.

Cool Re: City Mod

Ahh, the barriers of language ....

What I was saying is, why did CA give every settlement the possibility to grow into ungovernable metropolises? Why not limiting the growth of (most) the settlements to a certain size? In vanilla endgames, your biggest challenge is the management of all your "large" & "huge cities".

Quote Originally Posted by Treverer
    Ahh, the barriers of language ....

What I was saying is, why did CA give every settlement the possibility to grow into ungovernable metropolises? Why not limiting the growth of (most) the settlements to a certain size? In vanilla endgames, your biggest challenge is the management of all your "large" & "huge cities".
    I know, some cities in vanilla are just completely unmanagable. Like Patavium and Tarsus. I remember I had to let them rebel, retake them, and slaughter them just to keep them from going crazy.

For one thing, CA seems to make city size and technology level directly coorelated. Like population level and the ability to train elite units should have any connection. So for one thing, in vanilla, if you wanted any good units, you had to make all of your cities huge. In M2TW, you can't even train gunpowder units unless your city is huge.

To me, I just don't like the look of huge cities covering the map, all equally populated, equally huge, equally important. But I'm rambling now...

I know, some cities in vanilla are just completely unmanagable. Like Patavium and Tarsus. I remember I had to let them rebel, retake them, and slaughter them just to keep them from going crazy.

For one thing, CA seems to make city size and technology level directly coorelated. Like population level and the ability to train elite units should have any connection. So for one thing, in vanilla, if you wanted any good units, you had to make all of your cities huge. In M2TW, you can't even train gunpowder units unless your city is huge.

To me, I just don't like the look of huge cities covering the map, all equally populated, equally huge, equally important. But I'm rambling now...
    Its alright, we agree. That's why we play EB and use your mod with first cohorts. Makes the game enjoyable for those who like realism and history.

Great work.

Question Re: City Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Ice
    Its alright, we agree. That's why we play EB and use your mod with first cohorts. Makes the game enjoyable for those who like realism and history.

Great work.
    Sorry to repeat my question (ashes on my head):

but WHY IS THIS MOD NOT PART OF EB, then???

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast