Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tutorial: Adding a new faction symbol

Default Re: Tutorial: Adding a new faction symbol

Just a word of caution. There is I believe a size limit associated with the .SD files in particular the shared.sd which leads to a memory leakage.

I was being lazy and using the same TGA at 512*512 for both shared and strat as an extra file. However I noticed a corruption and after playing around narrowed it down to the shared.sd. I resolved it by using a much smaller file for the extra shared one and now it seems OK. Basically the SD file at 120,818 memory size was corrupting and a new one at 91,006 seems to be OK (sizes are read from the log file in trace).

Question: I have gotten my new icons to show up in the game, but my small ones don't have the tooltip passover on them (but they do if I make them refer to the vanilla small icons), and they aren't "clickable" either (the new ones only), so if you click on an icon of an ally, it won't take you to that ally's list of friends/enemies. What did I mess up to cause that?

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

Did you make sure that you saved with alpha information and that it works correctly?
    Also make sure that if you specified an external mouse-over tga that this works correctly.

I'm not using an external mouse-over tga, and the alpha information matches up perfectly. I tried putting extra spaces between my small icons too, thinking maybe they were too close and that a 'bleed over' of sorts was occurring, but that still hasn't done any good. Maybe there is a size limit for small icons that I'm narrowly stepping over the limits of. But it seems like the same problem a guy was having on the last page of this thread though he never replied back that he got it fixed or gave up.

Try running the unpack option with your files (in a new folder, mind) to see what the mouse-over info in the sd files looks like.
    You could also try splitting up the tga into a shared and a strat page - the game sometimes seems to get problems when they're in the same file.

EDIT: Success! Ah, one thing I was doing wrong was editing the .tga files in the interface subdirectory. You have to edit them while the tga file is still in the folder where the converter is. I thought I could use the converter just to turn the text files into the sd files, then put the sd files into the UI directory, but it won't work fully and it won't take into account any changes you make in the files, unless you edit them in the converter-folder, and then put them into your interface files when you are all done. It all works now! Woot.
    Last edited by Teleklos Archelaou; 02-18-2008 at 16:29.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension stilgar's Avatar

Hello alpaca, and first thanks for your great work.

I was trying to two factions symbol, I tryed the first, it works. But when I added the second it doesn't want to work.

This is what I made :
    Code:
    shared.sd

tga=modpage.tga

entry=SMALL_FACTION_LOGO_WALES
    left=67
    top=0
    bottom=+33
    right=+22

entry=SMALL_FACTION_LOGO_TEUTONIC_ORDER
    left=160
    top=0
    bottom=+33
    right=+22
    Code:
    strategy.sd

tga=modpage.tga

entry=FACTION_LOGO_WALES
    top=0
    left=0
    bottom=74
    right=66

entry=FACTION_LOGO_TEUTONIC_ORDER
    top=0
    left=94
    bottom=74
    right=160
    Here is the modpage.tga :

And this is the error I had :

Thanks for your work

Sorry, I don't really know. Did you extract all the files in the archive to the same directory?

Alpaca, I've added a new .tga file containing faction symbols, using the retrofit .xml files, yet something strange happens: first of all, some areas within a faction icon are unclickable (the icon doesn't light up); secondly, the shape of the lit-up icon is different from the icon's shape, or even the alpha's shape.

I'm suspecting that both problems have to do with the 'clickable' shape, which you mentioned in your tutorial, but I found nowhere specified in the .xml files. What do you think? Is there some 'clickable area file' that I don't know about?

PS. I haven't changed the SMALL_FACTION_LOGO yet, I doubt it should affect anything.
    Last edited by SigniferOne; 04-27-2008 at 22:08.

I am making a modd for kingdom, and I can't get this to work

Is there sombady who knows how to get this to work in Kingdom? I am working on a modd bast on teutonic, but I can't get this to work.

hi
    modpage.bat can not create .sd files
    Why do not?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	err.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	204.3 KB 
ID:	11365
    Last edited by atropaten; 12-06-2013 at 12:06.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123