Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Samurai Warlords beta 8

Default Re: Samurai Warlords beta 8

we all await information on the highly anticipated 0.9 version................

I'm a but confused!

- I did a fresh install of MTW, patched to 2.1
    - downloaded beta8 + beta8all-in-one
    - installed mod and the all-in-one
    now the menu says BETA5, and I have some issues: the new clans have odd error names, and the game keeps crashing every few turns.

have I done something wrong?

Many thanks

EDIT: Oops. I see now it says beta'5' all in one. I'' reapply the beta8., and get the 8.1 patch seperately and try again.
    Not sure why you'r still making Beta5 available... But never mind. Just me being stupid here.

Looks good :D
    Are you the guys doing the shogun mod for RTW? I'm quite lookinf forward to that one. I hate MTW's incapacity to remember unit grouping, and it's random battle-maps. But still, thanks for this mod, it must have been a lot of hard work and frustration.

many thanks :)
    Last edited by zarker; 03-28-2009 at 14:26.

well, that didn't work. Still CTD every few turns.
    I'll try a completely fresh install. - I'm on the Viking invasion gold version -v2.0. Might try the 2.1 patch too.

That didn't work either.
    I've tried saving between every move - that worked or a while, but there's one move it wont get past. Three messengers converge on one province then CTD - every time.

Oh well. Worth a try a least.
    Last edited by zarker; 03-28-2009 at 18:02.

Quote Originally Posted by zarker View Post
    well, that didn't work. Still CTD every few turns.
    I'll try a completely fresh install. - I'm on the Viking invasion gold version -v2.0. Might try the 2.1 patch too.

That didn't work either.
    There are people using this mod successfully with MTW/VI Gold. I don't have that version myself. The Gold version should already be at v2.1 eventhough it indicates v2.0 since it came out after the v2.1 patch. The v2.1 patch is a replacement for the main .exe file not a patch that you run. If you apply the v2.1 to the Gold version, make sure the regular MTW/VI works before going on to install Samurai Warlords.

The mod has to be applied to an unmodified MTW/VI v2.1, and you have to follow this sequence when installing:
    MTW + VI + v2.1 + SW beta 8 + SW beta 8.1.

You can get the beta 8 and beta 8.1 from the links in my sig. You have to provide the SW beta installers with the path to your main MTW/VI folder.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 03-30-2009 at 15:21.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Thanks for the reply.
    I tried again.
    - Fresh install v2.0 - no probs for about 15 turns.
    - Added the 2.01 exe - no probs for about 15 turns.
    - installed SW v8.0 - CTD after about 5 turns.
    - installed SW patch v8.1 - CTD after about 5 turns. (although the CTD turn is variable, from 2 turns upto about 7).

I tried changing all kinds of options. Still CTDs.

I don;t suppose there's any form of debug ouput. or trace logging for MTW?

Cheers
    Last edited by zarker; 04-05-2009 at 18:03.

Thanks for the reply.
    I tried again.
    - Fresh install v2.0 - no probs for about 15 turns.
    - Added the 2.01 exe - no probs for about 15 turns.
    - installed SW v8.0 - CTD after about 5 turns.
    - installed SW patch v8.1 - CTD after about 5 turns. (although the CTD turn is variable, from 2 turns upto about 7).

I tried changing all kinds of options. Still CTDs.

I don;t suppose there's any form of debug ouput. or trace logging for MTW?

Cheers
    Do you see v2.01 in the upper left corner of the menu screen with the red scrolling backround, and Samurai Warlords Beta 8 + MP 8.1 at the top of the menu?

There is an error.log in the game's main folder. I get one error entry there which doesn't seem to cause any problems:

Errors for session started: Sat Apr 11 11:54:19 2009

C:\Source\VikingsPatch\Crusaders_TW\main3d_1.cpp(1929) : DirectX call : DDERR_SURFACELOST

After choosing Single Player and New Campaign and Difficulty Level, you should see two campaign choices: Samural Warlords and Samurai Wars MP. Choose Samurai Warlords and Contiune, and you should then have a choice of one of 24 clans before hitting Start Campaign.

Hmm. I don't seem to get an error.log file anywhere.

Anyway, I think I've sussed it. It only seems to happen if I set the Unit-Size to SMALL in the games options\performance settings. Other values seem to be ok, but Small makes it unreliable.

That's not such a hardship to live with Now I can play this superb mod properly.

Thanks for the help Puzz3d :)

Anyway, I think I've sussed it. It only seems to happen if I set the Unit-Size to SMALL in the games options\performance settings. Other values seem to be ok, but Small makes it unreliable.
    Interesting. The tactical dynamics are optimized for the normal (60 man) unit size which is the size we used in testing. I still have to track down a bug with castles not appearing in some battles, and get the new large castle maps finished.

Just one small criticism though.

The battle maps seem very cramped, and give the impreesion more of being arenas than battlefields. But maybe my perception is a bit skewed. Anyway - having some fun with this mod.

Thanks again :)

Just one small criticism though. The battle maps seem very cramped, and give the impreesion more of being arenas than battlefields. But maybe my perception is a bit skewed. Anyway - having some fun with this mod.
    The objective of SW was to restore the look and feel of original STW. The maps are from original STW, and are rather small. In STW, units could use the red zone (two tiles along the map edges) for momement, but that feature was removed in MTW. So, the maps do play smaller in SW. The problem with using large maps is that the fatigue rate and reinforcement feature are optimized for the small size maps. The fatigue rate was never reoptimized for the large maps used in MTW, so the AI units become excessively fatigued and easier to beat. Also, the battles take a long time to play out because of the time it takes to bring on reinforcements.

A compromise, which might work ok, would be to remake the maps using the middle sized map grid. I tried to figure out a way in the map editor to pad out the small maps so that only new edge tiles would have to be added, but you can't do that in the editor. You'd have to make every map from scratch which would be a tremendous amount of work. A conversion program to pad out the small maps into a medium size map could probably be written.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 04-21-2009 at 15:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzz3D View Post
    The objective of SW was to restore the look and feel of original STW.
    Thank you Puzz3D
    Thank to all ave worked for
    Thank to the Guild

From a STW lover who discover now this new world !!! Fantastic !!!
    Never is forever but we want to live for
    bye, i go ... searching my copy of MTW and exp :) bye

The objective of SW was to restore the look and feel of original STW. The maps are from original STW, and are rather small. In STW, units could use the red zone (two tiles along the map edges) for momement, but that feature was removed in MTW. So, the maps do play smaller in SW. The problem with using large maps is that the fatigue rate and reinforcement feature are optimized for the small size maps. The fatigue rate was never reoptimized for the large maps used in MTW, so the AI units become excessively fatigued and easier to beat. Also, the battles take a long time to play out because of the time it takes to bring on reinforcements.

A compromise, which might work ok, would be to remake the maps using the middle sized map grid. I tried to figure out a way in the map editor to pad out the small maps so that only new edge tiles would have to be added, but you can't do that in the editor. You'd have to make every map from scratch which would be a tremendous amount of work. A conversion program to pad out the small maps into a medium size map could probably be written.
    I thought it might be something like that. It's a shame, as I used to get a lot of advantage in STW from watching the AI wear themselves out running around looking for me, especially in fog, and holding an area with just one horse unit, trailing a hostile force around the perimeter of a map until the time ran out. These tactics prove a bit less effective now. But what really spurred me to make the above post was starting a battle only to find the two armies well within bow range of each other from the outset, and I've never had that happen before in STW.

I appreciate the limitations you've faced making this mod, and I'm really glad you did it :) There's just nothing like a good sword fight, and the amount of unique exotic units in STW is just awesome. Many thanks for your work :)
    Last edited by zarker; 04-22-2009 at 00:51.

..fears no adversary Senior Member Jochi Khan's Avatar

I appreciate the limitations you've faced making this mod, and I'm really glad you did it :) There's just nothing like a good sword fight, and the amount of unique exotic units in STW is just awesome. Many thanks for your work :)
    Let us not forget barocca, the Samurai Warlords author. The person who spent years making this mod, supplying information for others to work with. Must give credit where it is due.
    R.I.P Great Warrior Ja mata TosaInu

sat at the..Nomad Alliance..campfire

Do your best and do it according to your own inner standard
    --call it conscience--
    not just according to society's knowledge and judgement of your deeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jochi Khan View Post
    Let us not forget barocca, the Samurai Warlords author.
    Thank to barocca too.

Installed without problems.
    Really Fantstic.

Hello gents, long time no kill. I'm in well deserved vacation and looking for a game to fill my evenings.

Is 8.1 the last version of SW ? If i install it, can i play other mod ?

And last, is there still generals playing this online ?

Regards

edit. found one answer above ....
    Last edited by UglyandHasty; 07-09-2009 at 13:46.

Quote Originally Posted by UglyandHasty View Post
    And last, is there still generals playing this online ?

Regards
    I've found answer to the others "questions".

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

I think there are a few who would be willing to meet on a pre-arranged day at a pre-arranged time (weekend) to play Beta 8 MP, but the last time I tried to rally the troops, we only had a few respond. For the record, I'd play 2v2 or more if three or more other players were willing. Just post or PM me or whatever.

That being said, I'll be moving before August 30th, so I won't be available for awhile while that's in progress.

It'd be great to get in a few games before then.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

We'll see here if anyone is interested Masamune. Server look pretty dead and empty yesterday ...

So i've try the sp campaign. You guys did a great job with it. I had played (ages ago) one of the 1st version, and what a progress. Very nice piece of work !

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Hello Masamune.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu View Post
    Hello Masamune.
    Yosh, TosaInu-san. Genki desu-ka?
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

..fears no adversary Senior Member Jochi Khan's Avatar

Hello UglyandHasty
    R.I.P Great Warrior Ja mata TosaInu

sat at the..Nomad Alliance..campfire

Do your best and do it according to your own inner standard
    --call it conscience--
    not just according to society's knowledge and judgement of your deeds.

Jochi
    *bow low*

Excellent mod mate. I had fun with it doing a VI revival week. I was feeling for doing some mp battles, but always found the server empty.

I'm interested in playing some multiplayer if the games are on a weekend.

Thank you to everyone who worked on this mod. I just installed it and you have done some brilliant and generous work here. May you all enjoy mountains of good karma.

I was looking in the unit prod and build prod files - I am new to modding this game but I am a software developer by trade - to work out whether certain buildings are only available to certain clans, and if that behavior is editable in some type of text file. In my first campaign I am unable to access any level of Horse dojo other than the first, despite having built a Citadel in the province.

What factors other than the technology tree control which clan is able to build a building?

Thank you in advance for any advice to a newcomer.

Best regards
    Rol.

Here is a download link for the tech tree provided by Dale which shows the prerequisites for buildings:

Samurai Warlords Tech Tree

I don't know how to limit buildings to a particular clan or if that can be done.

Thank you very much P3D!
    That is very helpful. Good karma to you.
    R.

I don't know how to limit buildings to a particular clan or if that can be done.
    You can specify as to exactly which factions can build what in the build prod file. You can also restrict it by culture.

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

WOW! I`m gonna dig up my old copy of MTW and give this a go. It looks awesome.
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

All I see is MTW/VI material, where is this mod??

I followed the exact procedures as spelled out in the first post and was informed that the mod installed successfully. Yet they is absolutely no trace of it when MTW/VI opens up.

Wonder what's wrong.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

Hello Hippotoxōtœ,

did you make a copy of the game as suggested or did you install on the original?
    Which version of the game do you have? Gold or Warlords or ...?
    Please check if you're starting the right version if you've installed on a copy.
    If you've installed the patch 8.1, the only eras you should see are Samurai Warlords. Also, the whole interface looks different. If you can't see any changes you've done something wrong.

R'as

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast