Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Europa Barbarorum FAQ

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum FAQ

It really depends on the situation. I've only had two protectorates up till now. One were the Arverni, and the turn after the agreement was signed it gave me 2,000,000 income from tribute They never broke it, I did instead after 50 years or so to wipe them out. The other time as the Casse I got the Aedui on their knees, but they gave me zilch money and broke it quickly.

EB Traitor Member BozosLiveHere's Avatar

Protectorates also pay some hefty tributes to their masters every turn. IIRC it's listed in the diplomacy line of your financial report.

That is, if said protectorates make profit. If not, first thing they'll cut is the tribute.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Elephant Master Member Conqueror's Avatar

As has been told, don't expect to get rich out of protectorates (although the big lump of money you get on the first turn is nice... assuming the faction was a rich one). It can be a good thing to have them though, if only for the fact that you won't have to fight as many battles every turn and you're actually able to have long lasting trade agreements with your neighbors. It's also a useful option for adding far-off territories to your kingdom: the protectorate faction doesn't suffer nearly as bad from distance to capital and, in many cases, from culture penalty. Thus the vassal can have much easier time keeping the lands under control than you might.

Yet another way to make use of a protectorate is to place them as a buffer zone between your faction and a strong enemy. You just need to help them out a bit by capturing all the border provinces and giving those to them. That way it'll be your protectorate that'll have to endure all the land-devastation and sieges, while your own provinces will be left untouched. You can ensure that the protectorate doesn't lose the buffer zone by placing some units next to their towns. If they are attacked, you'll have the option to join battles as reinforcements.

It is true that the protectorates can disobey and turn on you. You can try to guard against this by the same means as you can prolong alliances. The most important thing is to keep watch who your protectorates are allied with. If such factions declare war on you, the protectorate will almost surely use the opportunity to defect.

RTW, 167 BC: Rome expels Greek philosophers after the Lex Fannia law is passed. This bans the effete and nasty Greek practice of 'philosophy' in favour of more manly, properly Roman pursuits that don't involve quite so much thinking.

Marzbân-î Jundîshâpûr Member The Persian Cataphract's Avatar

Here is an answer to the query "Why can't I build any ships in the Caspian area?":

Because historically the area was more an amalgam of mercantile and commercial interest as well as adding to the fact that the northernly reaches were sparsely populated steppes, which further diminished the competitive factors and rather bolstered local enterprises. While there was certainly a local industry for building transporters and such to a lesser extent, and some scant trade by sea, no Parthian city in the area supported any significant port, and there was no economically competitive nor significant factor in the northern reaches, thus as a consequence there is no reason to expand any industry of transporters beyond local needs, let alone vessels of war or to drastically change economical prospects that historically remained the same for several centuries. Out of all the great waters, the Caspian Sea, beyond rich stocks of fish (The famed Persian sturgeon), and in spite of rich coastal areas, in particular the fertile Albania and well-watered Hyrcania famed for her dense forests, clearly did not carry the same potential as the Black Sea or the Persian Gulf. Add to the the fact that the Sarmatians to the north did not share the same taste for commercial enterprise as the Parthians to the south. Hence, the Caspian area is not very lucrative at all in matter of trade. You can still build sizeable places of trade, but not beyond the possibilities for expansion, let alone a base for a navy.

"Fortunate is every man who in purity and truth recognizes valiance and prevents it from becoming bravado" - Âriôbarzanes of the Sûrên-Pahlavân

Lover of Toight Vahjoinas Member Bootsiuv's Avatar

I just wanted to note that you guys say 4 factions get reforms, but that really isn't the case as far as I know.

The Romani's three is one set.
    The Celtic's two is another set.
    The Seleukids Kataphraktoi is another set.
    The Saka Rauka's Hellenic one is another.

And now(well, not quite now), there will be the hayasdan's 3 reforms.

So....7 Factions will eventually get reforms, but six do already, not 4. Anyways, you left out the Seleukid Reforms completely in the FAQ. I know I've heard there bugged, but I just wanted to mention that. :)
    SSbQ*****************SSbQ******************SSbQ

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

The vanilla marian reform trigger isn't really a reform like the rest. It is a placeholder anyways.

Hayasdan reforms aren't in the current build. If we posted thing about future builds, we would get questios like, "I conquered all of the area around Armenia, why didn't anything change?" from people who don't know it is info about the next release.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    The vanilla marian reform trigger isn't really a reform like the rest. It is a placeholder anyways.

Hayasdan reforms aren't in the current build. If we posted thing about future builds, we would get questios like, "I conquered all of the area around Armenia, why didn't anything change?" from people who don't know it is info about the next release.
    I see. Word.

Can Romans participate in the Olympic games if they capture Olympia? and if so, do they do it the same way that Hellenic factions participate ie. general announces a willingness to compete etc?

EB Traitor Member BozosLiveHere's Avatar

No.

@I am Herenow

You can choose to become a protectorate, without losing. As MAA said, you can break it on a whim, but often, the stupid AI will attack you the same turn as you agree to it.

I've never noticed any significant mnai loss (well, technically, denarii loss, as I haven't done it in EB yet) when I was someone's protectorate, so I'm uncertain if that works right.

Just in case you were still curious.

Cool

As Parthia I became a protectorate of Bactria for a turn, until I noticed my income dropped from about 3000 to exactly zero. I broke it by telling them via a diplomat that our alliance was over. It doesn't even immediately result in war.

I have installed and reinstalled EBv2 the latest. When I try and load the game it says that it can not load Mount type crested horse, something about 6142 column 85, Then it crashes to desk top. I have read the faq but there does not appear to be anything relevant to this....

DHP

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_horse_spirit
    I have installed and reinstalled EBv2 the latest. When I try and load the game it says that it can not load Mount type crested horse, something about 6142 column 85, Then it crashes to desk top. I have read the faq but there does not appear to be anything relevant to this....

DHP
    Make a new thread with a bug report in the bug report subforum.

i have all the prerequisites for building arenas in sparta and korinthos, but i cant. is this intended?, i have double checked all pre-reqs, everything is there but theres no option.

Quote Originally Posted by Dram
    i have all the prerequisites for building arenas in sparta and korinthos, but i cant. is this intended?, i have double checked all pre-reqs, everything is there but theres no option.
    As the Romans? Those towns probably have Gymnasiums, which are in the same building tree. You have to tear them down before you can build Roman Arenas.

Cool Re: Europa Barbarorum FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    As the Romans? Those towns probably have Gymnasiums, which are in the same building tree. You have to tear them down before you can build Roman Arenas.
    thanks man, thats what the problem was.

Default AW: Europa Barbarorum FAQ

so where is the new faq?
    it would be great if there was a new faq, because of the reforms and generals etc.

Default Re: AW: Europa Barbarorum FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by LotW89
    so where is the new faq?
    it would be great if there was a new faq, because of the reforms and generals etc.
    It shall come...

Does the KI expand historically? Eg if i play Averni would i be save from the Romans until around 50BC when Caesar marchs in?

I ask this because in the first 20 years of my Romani campaign i noticed some small province changing in the area of Syria and the Sinai Peninsula between Arche Seleukia and the Ptolemaioi which looked like the Syrian Wars.

No they don't expand historically, their priorities for invasion are set by the Ai and we have no control over them.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

nevermind, i didnt realise my question was answered elsewhere.
    Last edited by Dram; 10-13-2007 at 20:04.

What new units are accessible after the Sweboz reform?

new Sweboz Reform units:

Marhathegnoz (Germanic Heavy Cavalry)

Thegnoz Drugule (Germanic Heavy Infantry) [previously known as Gastiz]
    HWÆT !
    “Vesall ertu þinnar skjaldborgar!” “Your shieldwall is pathetic!” -Bǫðvar Bjarki [Hrólfs Saga Kraka]
    “Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl þonne his ellen déah.” “The course of events often saves the un-fey warrior if his valour is good.” -Bēowulf
    “Gørið eigi hárit í blóði.” “Do not get blood on [my] hair.” -Sigurð Búason to his executioner [Óláfs Saga Tryggvasonar: Heimskringla]

Wes þū hāl ! Be whole (with luck)!

Default AW: Europa Barbarorum FAQ

huh only 2 new units with the reform?

What about the new reforms for 1.0?

Could you show the current reforms and the Yeuzhi invasion triggers please?
    HI

Member Member Naughteous Maximus's Avatar

I had no problems at all with v.81a v2. For v1.0, I deleted everything and reinstalled R:TW, then patches 1.3 and 1.5. I downloaded v1.0 from Filefront.
    I followed the instuctions as instructed but when I launched a game, the EB intro screen would appear, after a few moments, the screen would go black, the music from R:TW would start for a moment then stop. The EB music would then kick in while the screen remained black. After 4-5 minutes, the loading bar would appear, and when loaded, the EB settings page would appear with the world map merged some what together and the screen would be stuttering. I tried setting my options to the lowest settings but the same thing happened. I thought that it might just be the intro part and might not affect the game itself. When I started an actual game, screen went black again then I had a CTD. I have no idea what is causing it since I had no problems at all playing the previous version.

Quote Originally Posted by Naughteous Maximus

I had no problems at all with v.81a v2. For v1.0, I deleted everything and reinstalled R:TW, then patches 1.3 and 1.5. I downloaded v1.0 from Filefront.
    I followed the instuctions as instructed but when I launched a game, the EB intro screen would appear, after a few moments, the screen would go black, the music from R:TW would start for a moment then stop. The EB music would then kick in while the screen remained black. After 4-5 minutes, the loading bar would appear, and when loaded, the EB settings page would appear with the world map merged some what together and the screen would be stuttering. I tried setting my options to the lowest settings but the same thing happened. I thought that it might just be the intro part and might not affect the game itself. When I started an actual game, screen went black again then I had a CTD. I have no idea what is causing it since I had no problems at all playing the previous version.
    Please make a new thread in the bugreport subforum.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast