Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: ALEXANDER EB

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Arrow ALEXANDER EB

FINAL MOD

for any questions/support please feel free to e-mail me at: petrovicvladan9@gmail.com

2021 Files

https://mega.nz/#!sJBmDKTJ!-Mp83KyGx...BhZ7VB9vgceNZs

Key:

I SUGGEST http://www.7-zip.org/ FOR UNZIP

Run EAEM.lnk to launch - ADJUST THE TARGET LINE BEFORE LAUNCH

How to adjust the target line of your EB.exe - In Our Case EAEM.ink
    >Go to EB shortcut - left clck on the shortcut and chose properties - then - change the Target by copy-paste method

"<drive letter>:\<directory path you've installed RTW into>\RomeTW-ALX.exe" -mod:eb -show_err -nm -noalexander
    "...\Rome - Total War\RomeTW-ALX.exe" -mod:eb -show_err -nm -noalexander

I have been fan and developer of RTW since the start, this will be my final major update, anything after this would be tweaks.

Mods adjustment go far beyond any other.

STEAM INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Unpack the zip
    2. Go to your local install folder for the RTW Alexander Steam game - if you're not sure where this is then open Steam, go to Library, right-click Rome: Total War - Alexander, go to Properties > Local Files tab > Browse Local Files
    3. Backup the contents of this folder, just in case
    4. Select all of the files from the unpacked zip, and copy into the RTW-Alexander steam install folder, overwriting those currently there
    5. Go back into Steam, Library, right-click Rome: Total War - Alexander, go to Properties > General tab > Set Launch options
    6. Copy the following into the box: -mod:eb -show_err -nm -noalexander and click OK

Play the game as normal

PLEASE POST UR HEROIC VICTORIES AND EMPIRES I WILL BE MAKING CUSTOM CHANGES FOR THE BEST!
    Last edited by Maksimus; 07-03-2021 at 23:10. Reason: FINAL!
    “Give me a place to stand and with a lever I will move the whole world.”

Member thankful for this post:

Barely a levy Member overweightninja's Avatar

Default Re: The best AI for EB 1 is on Alex.exe!

Sounds good, I've been thinking about installing with Alex but I have to mess around making a second install first. A few questions:
    • Any stability problems?
    • Any faction progress information?
    • How far have you progressed in your campaign?
    • How's the diplomacy looking?

Cheers

Wink Re: The best AI for EB 1 is on Alex.exe!

Quote Originally Posted by overweightninja
    Sounds good, I've been thinking about installing with Alex but I have to mess around making a second install first. A few questions:
    • Any stability problems?
    • Any faction progress information?
    • How far have you progressed in your campaign?
    • How's the diplomacy looking?

Cheers
    You should try it by the list above! Still I will be updating this thread regulary begining from today with pictures of campaign and AI gamplay

Answers!

EB 1 on Alex.exe is the most stable of all *exe that for EB (that is RTW or BI). It has less studs than using RTW.exe or BI.exe, the easy fllow the AI goes with on lower-end demandings for your CPU.. And you don't need to wait 5 minutes for your Hard-drive to get back to life after you exit the game! I am sure SEGA had their work on AI making it less demanding and faster and at the same time - much smarter and stable!

I can say that progression is very nice.. I played two campaigns, but, I have tested the AI by playing about an hour 'clicking the end turn' with Casse! That is - until THE REBELS ATTACKED ME AND DESTROYED CASSE! - I think that is something that is not happening so often! Other factions are spreading and grouping theri forces before a siege (sou you can forget 4 units per siege on VH from AI on ALX.exe). For example - Pontos is spreading from the start to Sinop and to the North and Black Sea, Spain is half in hands of Lusitanians, Armenia is spreading and Baktria and Carthage... From the start! So with Alex.exe the whole EB balance is in probs.. We know that EB should be played in a certan way - but that is made due to RTW.exe engine - that is slow and 'ugly' compared to ALX.exe or BI even... so

I'll Post later
    Last edited by Maksimus; 01-27-2008 at 08:21.

Unfortunetly no Alexander.exe for me... nt even BI.exe, anyway, it is intersting, have you noticed any naval assaults activities???? Try playing a Carthaginian game and see the Romans behaviour... is it more agressive towards Sicily and the islands (Arse and Karali?)?
    From the markets of Lilibeo to the Sacred Band in the halls of Astarte, from those halls to the Senate of Safot Softin BiKarthadast as Lilibeo representative

I have a question; is Alexander.exe so good that the AI contemplates the meaning of life itself?

If not, is it really worth it?

Hey that all sounds just like my campaign!
    I'm playing the Casse with BI.exe - the AI has done just that - golly gumdrops Makibus you have found a winner!
    I say we congregate here tomorrow at 0600 hours and present him with a medal, I think he deserves some sort of reward for giving us gameplay where the Makedonian navy follows the fleader!

Even if that is the only new addition - 'tis surely an honest and worthy one!
    Last edited by PershsNhpios; 11-08-2007 at 03:23.

Red face Re: The best AI for EB 1 is on Alex.exe!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    I have a question; is Alexander.exe so good that the AI contemplates the meaning of life itself?

If not, is it really worth it?

Hey that all sounds just like my campaign!
    I'm playing the Casse with BI.exe - the AI has done just that - golly gumdrops Makibus you have found a winner!
    I say we congregate here tomorrow at 0600 hours and present him with a medal, I think he deserves some sort of reward for giving us gameplay where the Makedonian navy follows the fleader!

Even if that is the only new addition - 'tis surely an honest and worthy one!
    Ok, I am just now making a coffe break.. And I must say I am amaized!!!
    And not just about AI! I am so amaized with my EB 1 stability and fast-fllow!

The campaign and battle game run MUCH, MUCH faster! they are stable.. I could svear that my vanilla RTW witho no patches runs just a bit sllower than this! Realy.. I had no CTDs at all by now and I play on VH and fight couple of battles per turn -- like, In my EB 1 based on RTW.exe I had to have atleast 1 CTD after some battle.. but it seems that ALEX.exe is moch mouch better then we all think!

Let's say.. I never played Alex vanilla, but I am sure that 90% of people here did not.. so they could not know what Alex is - it is many times better that RTW and Bi.. the stability and preformance....

For example... I have A high-end system ..Cor2Duo.. ASus8800gst 2 gigs of Geil ultar ram on 800- so I PLAY ON MAX settings all the time... AND you know what! - The first time I had NO STUDS or --sloows at all are now with Alex.exe
    Belive me..I palyed just today with my Rtw.exe and nothing changed on my PC since!

AND ABOUT DIPLOMACY! I belive that a good sign is - I took Pella and Demetrias in my first turn! You know .. with elephant on VH.. so then in my next turn I send a diplomat in
    Corintos to ask Ceasfire, Trade Rights, saying I will attack and I ask for 5000 minaiI! AND THEY SAID YES! - I think that is very good, in EB 1 based on RTW you could never get that aggrement even if they have only one city left!
    That is definetly better Diplomacy! ANd AGonatas sailed somwere!

must go now.. I am besidging Athens in 272 .. will be in touch
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-25-2007 at 22:40.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Test more plz.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Can anyone else confirm this please?

Also, does Alex support the same formations BI does? (shield_wall, shieldtrom, swimming)

Quote Originally Posted by brymht
    Can anyone else confirm this please?

Also, does Alex support the same formations BI does? (shield_wall, shieldtrom, swimming)
    No i dont think it does.

U14 Footballer Member G. Septimus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maksimus View Post

Ok, I am just now making a coffe break.. And I must say I am amaized!!!
    And not just about AI! I am so amaized with my EB 1 stability and fast-fllow!

The campaign and battle game run MUCH, MUCH faster! they are stable.. I could svear that my vanilla RTW witho no patches runs just a bit sllower than this! Realy.. I had no CTDs at all by now and I play on VH and fight couple of battles per turn -- like, In my EB 1 based on RTW.exe I had to have atleast 1 CTD after some battle.. but it seems that ALEX.exe is moch mouch better then we all think!

Let's say.. I never played Alex vanilla, but I am sure that 90% of people here did not.. so they could not know what Alex is - it is many times better that RTW and Bi.. the stability and preformance....

For example... I have A high-end system ..Cor2Duo.. ASus8800gst 2 gigs of Geil ultar ram on 800- so I PLAY ON MAX settings all the time... AND you know what! - The first time I had NO STUDS or --sloows at all are now with Alex.exe
    Belive me..I palyed just today with my Rtw.exe and nothing changed on my PC since!

AND ABOUT DIPLOMACY! I belive that a good sign is - I took Pella and Demetrias in my first turn! You know .. with elephant on VH.. so then in my next turn I send a diplomat in
    Corintos to ask Ceasfire, Trade Rights, saying I will attack and I ask for 5000 minaiI! AND THEY SAID YES! - I think that is very good, in EB 1 based on RTW you could never get that aggrement even if they have only one city left!
    That is definetly better Diplomacy! ANd AGonatas sailed somwere!

must go now.. I am besidging Athens in 272 .. will be in touch
    uhh, why do you write with blue fonts?
    it makes me dizzy.

BTW, Alex is worth for a try,
    looks good
    x2

Big Romani Fan
    Die Manschaaft
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ]

Der Rekordmeister

CTD for my RTW save as well.

So I made a new campaign and the wait between turns is still ~90 seconds, just as it was without alex. The campaign map still lags to hell if I try to move it around with the arrow keys instead of mouse and all that good stuff.

I cannot comment on improved AI as all I care about is performance at this point since the lag jump from the last eb version to 1.0 is quite large for me.
    Last edited by Gask; 11-09-2007 at 20:18.

Civis Romanus Member Senatus Populusque Romanus's Avatar

i will give it a shot
    Dignitas, maiestas, auctoritas, libertas, exercitus, imperium, iudicia, honores, consules, voluntas populi Romani
    Dignity, majesty, authority, freedom, the army, rule, judgements, offices, consuls and will of the Roman People

The Age of Romans : A Romani VIDEO AAR Series

The EB Documentary Theater

Quote Originally Posted by Maksimus
    --------------------------------
    Trait Immortal
    Characters family
    Hidden
    AntiTraits AntiImmortal

Level Immortal
    Description Immortal_desc
    EffectsDescription Immortal_effects_desc
    Threshold 1
    Maksimus, pls remove that "AntiTraits AntiImmortal" string.
    occasional ALEXANDER EB member
    :::Alexander::: less hopeless AI engine for EB https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=94861

so we dont need to add AntiTraits AntiImmortal ?

EDIT: "AntiImmortal" is not defined and should not be added.

@ Maksimus

You should delete the old install instruction from post #1 because it is very confusing the way it is now.
    Last edited by konny; 11-29-2007 at 12:47.

Disclaimer: my posts are to be considered my private opinion and not offical statements by the EB Team

Quote Originally Posted by konny
    "AntiImmortal" is defined and should be added.
    No. It's NOT necessary for immortal fix to work. And i doubt if it's present in original Alexander files either.
    occasional ALEXANDER EB member
    :::Alexander::: less hopeless AI engine for EB https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=94861

Quote Originally Posted by Lgk
    No. It's NOT necessary for immortal fix to work. And i doubt if it's present in original Alexander files either.

*lol*

Yes, that's what I wanted to write, but somehow completly messed it up. Thank you, post fixed.

Disclaimer: my posts are to be considered my private opinion and not offical statements by the EB Team

Post Re: The best AI for EB 1 is on Alex.exe!

Quote Originally Posted by konny
    EDIT: "AntiImmortal" is not defined and should not be added.

@ Maksimus

You should delete the old install instruction from post #1 because it is very confusing the way it is now.
    Yes... It's just that.. I am afraid that someone might need still.. Atleast for making it back to vanilla....
    pufff..................... deleting right now
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-10-2007 at 21:54.

So did we ever resolve if there could also be night battles? I'm continuing a EB/Alx Campaign with the immmortal fix installed (typed it in) and am using th e the various .exe switches on RTW-Alx, but I still have not been given the option to have a night battle....is there something I'm missing?

Also, I know this has been covered before, but what is the edit to make Romani available in custom battles?

Thanks guys, great job on everything.

Smile Re: The best AI for EB 1 is on Alex.exe!

Quote Originally Posted by juba1
    so we dont need to add AntiTraits AntiImmortal ?
    Nah... It works fine without it, and If you made it in.. you should have no probs aswell.. Last night I played couple of years with AntiTraits AntiImmortal .. But now, the main post is fixed so that no AntiTraits AntiImmortal are needed
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-10-2007 at 21:54.

Last edited by Maksimus; 03-03-2008 at 00:50. Reason: Update ! .)

Default Re: ::Alexander EB:: ALX.exe EB mod

Sounds good.

Key question - how can we help AI factions to defeat one another? From Konny's screenshots, it looks like the AI finds it difficult to expand into anything other than rebel-held territory. That is a bit of a game-breaker.

One idea: set up a "days of thunder" trigger, which has a 1 in 100 chance of taking place for any given faction on any given turn. If it activates, it "captures" the historic faction capital (if it's not already owned) and spawns two or three highly capable armies led by top-notch generals. This might give the AI the wherewithal to expand for a while, until those armies were depleted.

Has the added advantage of creating nasty late-game challenges for a human player who thinks he's conquered the map.

Another (similar) idea: have a "days of thunder" trigger that will run auto_win attacker before every AI vs AI battle for 20 turns. I don't think this would work, but maybe we could do something similar?

Another (similar) idea: have a [ blah blah blah ] that automatically replenishes the armies of AI characters with certain traits (eg "in AI enemy territory"). At least that way they'll be balanced against the auto-replenishing defenders.

Just thinking, it would actually be pretty cool if we could set AI battles permanently to "auto_win attacker". It'd have no effect on human players (because we actually play out our battles), but it would mean that the AI would be constantly swapping territories back and forth.

Even if auto_win attacker isn't possible, there might be a way of favouring the attacker. For example, you could create traits that give attacking generals ten command stars, or significant bonuses to the valour of their bodyguards. These bonuses wouldn't apply in human vs AI battles (perhaps the traits could be temporarily nixed whenever the prebattle screen started up). But in AI vs AI battles, they'd shift the balance strongly in favour of the attacking army.

Another thing to do might be to run auto_merge troops for every AI army at the start of every turn. That way they're less likely to retrain everyone and end up with a stack full of gold chevron troops.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtwisties
    Has the added advantage of creating nasty late-game challenges for a human player who thinks he's conquered the map.
    You know what'd be fun with this? Set it up so that a script triggers a few turns beforehand saying "You have been warned". That's all. No actual specific information about WHERE the days of thunder will start - just a warning that some faction somewhere is about to go nuts.

- mr.twisties.tension.ratcher

Barely a levy Member overweightninja's Avatar

Hello again chaps, have been following your progress and is looking good, finally managed to get time to start a campaign with alx and konny's scripts, let you know if anything interesting happens.
    Anyway, I had a thought in regards to the AI retraining issue. Is there evidence of the Eleutheroi retraining its troops in sieges etc? There would be obvious implications if so

Cheers

Smile Re: ::Alexander EB:: ALX.exe EB mod

Quote Originally Posted by overweightninja
    Hello again chaps, have been following your progress and is looking good, finally managed to get time to start a campaign with alx and konny's scripts, let you know if anything interesting happens.
    Anyway, I had a thought in regards to the AI retraining issue. Is there evidence of the Eleutheroi retraining its troops in sieges etc? There would be obvious implications if so

Cheers
    If you look at the export_descr_buildings.txt you can see this
    ;;;
    }
    building barracks
    {
    levels muster_field militia_barracks city_barracks army_barracks royal_barracks
    {
    muster_field requires factions { slave, }
    {
    capability
    {
    }
    construction 3
    cost 900
    settlement_min town
    upgrades
    {
    militia_barracks
    }
    }
    militia_barracks requires factions { slave, }
    {
    capability
    {
    law_bonus 1
    }
    construction 6
    cost 3000
    settlement_min town
    upgrades
    {
    city_barracks
    }
    }
    city_barracks requires factions { slave, }
    {
    capability
    {
    law_bonus 1
    trade_base_income_bonus bonus 1
    }
    construction 9
    cost 7500
    settlement_min town
    upgrades
    {
    army_barracks
    }
    }
    army_barracks requires factions { slave, }
    {
    capability
    {
    law_bonus 1
    trade_base_income_bonus bonus 2
    }
    construction 12
    cost 12000
    settlement_min town
    upgrades
    {
    royal_barracks
    }
    }
    royal_barracks requires factions { slave, }
    {
    capability
    {
    law_bonus 2
    trade_base_income_bonus bonus 2
    }
    construction 15
    cost 15000
    settlement_min town
    upgrades
    {
    }
    }
    }

That means the Slaves are not retraining - and In the game it is quite clear they don't add the numbers of their armies after one defense (wich is not the case with factions .)
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-11-2007 at 03:57.

Wink Re: ::Alexander EB:: ALX.exe EB mod

For Mrtwisties

Maybe the trrigers are not the best solutin.. do I am for it to be tested anyways..

Still, one of the solutions may be the 'advanced' barracks system, well, not really a system at all, it's rather a 'tweaked' way of chosing wich faction can have low or high-end units and to what extend in what period of the game..

That should work like this (and this is apart from your suggestions that could work)::
    The capitols of the factions would have (that means one region with a homeland resource as capital) at least an army barracks from the start (even do some could have a city one's) or (in the case of nomads) other buildings that would enable them to train medium army and elites (but not the finall-end ones) from the start in just one city (the capital)..

So, now, you have an option to have elites and it is up to you to manage your money. Some players (more aggressive ones) will use money after sacking a city to give their army a small boost - of maybe just one reliable unit that could help alot in a battle - one elite) - but just at one place - in your capital, so even if you have money you can't raise much at all - but you have one great motivation to fight and to look all those nice units you could train ,)

Second.. And I will leave this post comment only in terms of Factional barracks by now.
    Construction times for barracks (or atleast for city to royal) should have 4-5 od 6-8 higher construction times. That way Human player wont end with an Empire of 20 regions, and one army barracks while CPU has Army and Royal bs in Every town untill 240bc (like AS or Aegypt). Plus you won't end fighting much more advanced Alex.exe AI that RETRAINS his elites ANYWHERE while you have to drag them form 'America'! So you don't end with a gap that really - I mean really - disables you to win ! You just can not win armies full of elites that are being retrained by Alex engine all the time and Everywhere!

And plus.. MAAntonius gave us a green light to use City Mod for Alexander EB 1.1 when he makes one for it .)

So in a way of expansion - the barracks could be one very and more important 'trigger' than other solutions.. there is also a question's of share.. but that will be the topic later .)
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-11-2007 at 03:56.

For Mrtwisties

Maybe the trrigers are not the best solutin.. do I am for it to be tested anyways..

Still, one of the solutions may be the 'advanced' barracks system, well, not really a system at all, it's rather a 'tweaked' way of chosing wich faction can have low or high-end units and to what extend in what period of the game..

That should work like this (and this is apart from your suggestions that could work)::
    The capitols of the factions would have (that means one region with a homeland resource as capital) at least an army barracks from the start (even do some could have a city one's) or (in the case of nomads) other buildings that would enable them to train medium army and elites (but not the finall-end ones) from the start in just one city (the capital)..

So, now, you have an option to have elites and it is up to you to manage your money. Some players (more aggressive ones) will use money after sacking a city to give their army a small boost - of maybe just one reliable unit that could help alot in a battle - one elite) - but just at one place - in your capital, so even if you have money you can't raise much at all - but you have one great motivation to fight and to look all those nice units you could train ,)

Second.. And I will leave this post comment only in terms of Factional barracks by now.
    Construction times for barracks (or atleast for city to royal) should have 4-5 od 6-8 higher construction times. That way Human player wont end with an Empire of 20 regions, and one army barracks while CPU has Army and Royal bs in Every town untill 240bc (like AS or Aegypt). Plus you won't end fighting much more advanced Alex.exe AI that RETRAINS his elites ANYWHERE while you have to drag them form 'America'! So you don't end with a gap that really - I mean really - disables you to win ! You just can not win armies full of elites that are being retrained by Alex engine all the time and Everywhere!

And plus.. MAAntonius gave us a green light to use City Mod for Alexander EB 1.1 when he makes one for it .)

So in a way of expansion - the barracks could be one very and more important 'trigger' than other solutions.. there is also a question's of share.. but that will be the topic later .)
    I like this idea, and am interested to see how it develops. I think it'd cut out a lot of AI retraining. But even if it works beautifully I'd still be concerned about medium troops in some areas being constantly retrained by the AI and ending up with all gold chevrons. One or two units like that is okay. An army of them completely changes the battle dynamic and renders it unhistoric - you might as well play on VH/VH.

Forcing the AI to auto_merge units at the start of its turn seems to me to be a useful, low impact part of the solution (if it's at all possible). That way the AI will end up with one or two units of uber-gold Pezhetairoi, rather than four or six.

Smile Re: ::Alexander EB:: ALX.exe EB mod

Quote Originally Posted by mrtwisties
    I like this idea, and am interested to see how it develops. I think it'd cut out a lot of AI retraining. But even if it works beautifully I'd still be concerned about medium troops in some areas being constantly retrained by the AI and ending up with all gold chevrons. One or two units like that is okay. An army of them completely changes the battle dynamic and renders it unhistoric - you might as well play on VH/VH.

Forcing the AI to auto_merge units at the start of its turn seems to me to be a useful, low impact part of the solution (if it's at all possible). That way the AI will end up with one or two units of uber-gold Pezhetairoi, rather than four or six.
    This idea was already tested by myself in numerous modds for RTW, that changed the way AI plays in the general picture, those AI 'tweaks' should follow as one City Mod version would be implemented (or one that could 'copy' that idea). In my examples I always used the 'big city start's and stays big during the game' like it was often the case in history, so one 'can' develop small town into Imperial one, but with alot of effort, construction time and money..

AI on Alex.exe is not automerging because it is 'smart' in a way it makes it harder for us to win.. That engine is gold! So we all have to count we must run and strike fast after one victory to destroy enemy as a whole - if we don't want that army to came back after it fils it's rank's again .. The barracks system will make much of that to be 'controled' ... Like, you know that Royal Barracks are in Alexandria.. so you know that if you strike elites - only the natives would be able to fight even as retrained..

That is one balance in the middle of advanced AI engine and human needs to win .. Also.. celtis reforms are acctually one more reason that barracks system should be worked on..

btw, I use VH/VH it's just that I am waithing Konny to upload his 'modded' script for EB on Alex for me to test it on VH
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-11-2007 at 03:58.

The features:

b Victory conditions can state a "survivor" which requires that a specific unique character survive in order for that faction to remain in the game; however, We are not sure if that can be used for anyone other than the initial 'Alexander' character. Needs more testing.
    We can use that for short campaigns, if that feature works in Alexander (I am certain it does), for characters like Pyrrhos to survive. In any other campaign we can't because of the time span of EB.

c) Mercenaries can be designated as ''faction-specified'' in the campaign merc pool file. In ALX.exe, you can specify regional mercenaries to be recruitable only by certain factions.
    That is very good and can be used for numerous changes.

d) ''Descr_Model_Battle.txt'' model's entries are increaseded from RTW/BI's 250 max (to at least 330+)
    Any skinners, modelers? If you please.

e) AI can be instructed in the ''Descr_Start'' file not to attack certain factions (unless at war already). There is ''ai_do_not_attack_faction'' in ''descr_strat'', which prohibits the AI to attack certain factions, except when they're at war!
    That one is most interessting. We can for example forbid AS to attack Pontos, Armenia and Baktria and focus on Ptolemaioi. We can also forbid Makedonia and Epeiros to attack the slaves and so concentrate on the Greek theatre. We can then change their diplomatic stance to the slaves by script later when they have achieved their targets down there.

j) The next big thing is, of course, the unique general models. You can have battle and strat model and portraits that cannot be used by any other general in the game.
    Unfortuantly we can only use this for the starting characters. There is no way to mod characters that might appear later in the game, like a Caesar or a Hannibal.

------------------------------------------

I think the ALX.exe allows for a couple of fine "provincial campaigns" on the EB map, starting at some different points in history and focusing on specific characters and factions.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast