Thread: John Scalzi

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Default John Scalzi

I've now read a few of his books, and found them all pretty entertaining. Old Man's War and it's universe feels a bit like Starship Troopers without less philosophy. Andriod's Dream was just a fun read. And you can find Agent to the Stars online, free of charge.

Anyone heard of him or read something by him?

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Default Re: John Scalzi

I've read Old Man's War and Ghost Brigades.

I liked them as books. They weren't too wordy, simple, leaving alot to imagination (good thing). It wasn't trying to force a messages down your throat, and overall a pretty decent read. Compared to the other book I've read (Clone Republic by Steven Kent), I got alot more from Scalzi.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

I've read a Old Man's War and Ghost Brigades. Both were solid books, although I thought the first was superior.

Old Man's War was an explicit riff on Starship Troopers, so it's not surprising you felt similarities.

He's a really good author, and I look forward to seeing what he puts out next. Good find, AtPG.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

I have also read Old Man's War and Ghost Brigades. I enjoyed the first one a great deal, but the sequel I found to be rather mundane. My wife is a big fan of his, though, and is currently reading Andriod's Dream. I'll probably get around to it myself eventually.

Overall, my impression (after 2 books) is that he is a decent 'entertainment' Scifi author. He's not Aasimov or Heinlein; he's not going to wow you with something deep and meaningful. It's just fun reading in a different world.
    Last edited by TinCow; 01-08-2008 at 15:10.

Heaps Gooder Member aimlesswanderer's Avatar

I've read the 3 in the Old Man's War series, and they were certainly a fun read. Not deep and thoughtful but definitely kept me interested.
    "All things are born from darkness, and all things return to darkness". Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

If you want a current author who will really freak your brain out, I would recommend Charles Stross. His book Accelerando is pretty outrageous, and the two Lovecraft-meets-James-Bond books are hilarious.

I can't think of a fresher, more unique author in SF right now.

Cool, there are some books by Stross at my library. I'll check them out.

Just finished the Atrocity Archives. Excellent stuff, though I probably shouldn't have stayed up till 2 in the morning to finish it.

Great book, isn't it? The sequel is The Jennifer Morgue, and it's got its own brand of fun. Glad I could tip you off to a great new author!