Thread: Historacity of arabs in game....

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Default Historacity of arabs in game....

Hello, my name is Ibrahim, a player of the mod in question-and it is awesome to play (no CTD's strangely), and with decently accurate romans, persians, and "barbarii"

and I'm here to constructively debate about the treatment of my fellow Arabs in Invasio barbarorum: Flagellum dei. it mostly considers the weapons used and their effectiveness (oh, and berbers didn't fight or look much like arabs, more like numidians, check EB for general appearance, with roman influence(yes I know it's 600 yrs early-hence WITH roman influence)) :

A-Arab swordsman: the sword used on the mod is from the 9-10th century AD on, not the 1-9th centuries AD . the origional type was a sword like a spatha in shape, but some what shorter in size, used for both slashing and stabing. I base this one on several sources:1-the attached picture from http://www.myarmoury.com:
    (yes I know it is 12th century AD), and the curved sword is a turkic design, from the tribes that converted to Islam at the said time. and common sense should dictate the sword design be straight: the romani to the north used straight swords, and so did the persians, (and ethiopeans?), and arabs were known to employ mostly tech from these people (roman-ish weapons, persian armor), the turks living thousands of miles away, and unknown to Arabs till the mid 7th century AD. oh and the swords would be like spathae in stats, the warrior being naturals at war (you have a people fight for 40 yrs in a minor war alone-see what happens)
    2-Osprey (or similar book-wished I remember title)publishings on yarmuk: i know, kind of cliched but they said the same as I did
    3-www.wikipedia.org-again may be innacurate but the sight part on swords is quite good-I know from comparing with library books.

B-Arab archers: there is good evidence that composite bows were used (or less shitty bow at least); there is also evidence from Yarmuk in 639 AD that they were capable of handling roman bowman and winning, albeit with many casualties. (europa barbarorum arrived at the bow shape-check it out at www.europabarbarorum.com)-their bows should be like those of the raiders-devastaing..

C-Arab spearman: there is evidence for a shield wall tactic-it's hard to survive infantry attacks from enemies (like dhat al-salasil) and come out with fewish losses sine shield wall (low out of 18000, against 2-30000 persians with heavy casualties suffered by the sassanids, or the battle of walaja (wikipedia for results) and of course dhi Qar in 613 AD (pre islamic-no "fanaticism")
    and arab elite infantry were most likely armored in a chain hauberk, not scale under silk-same for the lancers (though optional- most were relatively unarmoured)

D-NO JAVELINMEN(old & young warriors): the account of uhud indicates this was mostly associated with ethiopeans, not arabs (hamza ibn abd Al-muttalib's death).

so I ask that someone remake the swordsman, archers, and infantry more along with the abovementioned evidence (don't believe me-check out the sources; don't want that-just do it for me), and send them for downloading so all can have try-with the new stats please and if anyone wants to argue-go right ahead I'm open to debate.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Default Re: Historacity of arabs in game....

oh actually the bowmen retreated in the fire fight-but stil you got my point-sorry

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

those will be useful informations.

Unfortunately, berbers and arabs are merged togheter in the culture group - i prefectly know that they were, expacially in this time, quite different.

We lacked some informations about the lakhmids - so we structured their units with few hints, and sometime trough inductions. Possibly in the next release they will be more accurate.

Team Member
    Invasio Barbarorum modder

thanks! But I heard (and saw) that EB was able to seperate and create nw factios some how-that perhaps might help with the berbers..
    be looking forward to at least the skins and skeletons of the units with the stats anyways (can't wait for the next installment-sorry )
    I forgt to say that the raiders would have had chain-not scale aromer..sorry again.

never mind the chain for raiders-I just discovered that was really padded cloth/leather

Talking Re: Historacity of arabs in game....

so no one will at least make new skins and skeletons+ stats before the next versions come out(for those too lazy to get them, or whose IBFD has CTD's from patching, like me.)? for the one who volunteer (make it available to all)

Bruadair a'Bruaisan Member cmacq's Avatar
    Where on this beige, brown, and olive-drab everything will stick, sting, bite, and/or eat you; most rickety-tick.

So Ibrahim this is where the likes of you hang. Indeed I think I'll down load this Mod as well.
    Last edited by cmacq; 03-27-2008 at 00:01.
    quae res et cibi genere et cotidiana exercitatione et libertate vitae

Herein events and rations daily birth the labors of freedom.

I is da bestest at grammar Member Strategos Alexandros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cmacq
    So Ibrahim this is where the likes of you hang. Indeed I think I'll down load this Mod as well.
    Having downloaded it yesterday I have to say it is certainly worth getting.
    - my first balloon, from Mouzafphaerre
    - LS balloon

Modo Egredior
    https://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bi...ookup=Plb.+toc <- read this!
    "Do you know what's worth fighting for?
    When it's not worth dying for?"

Bruadair a'Bruaisan Member cmacq's Avatar
    Where on this beige, brown, and olive-drab everything will stick, sting, bite, and/or eat you; most rickety-tick.

Quote Originally Posted by strategos alexandros
    Having downloaded it yesterday I have to say it is certainly worth getting.
    Right,
    I just transferred EB to new PC and I'll try to download IB next week. I liked BI as this is a very interesting period.
    Last edited by cmacq; 03-30-2008 at 05:50.
    quae res et cibi genere et cotidiana exercitatione et libertate vitae

Herein events and rations daily birth the labors of freedom.

For some insight you might want to look at the EB Arabians, they're sure to have changed in that 1000 years, but I'm sure bronze chainmaile and that padded leather would have still been around.
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf The Great View Post
    For some insight you might want to look at the EB Arabians, they're sure to have changed in that 1000 years, but I'm sure bronze chainmaile and that padded leather would have still been around.
    I know this it late, but here it is:

1-the lakhmids have been modded for IJ3, and later for IBFD8. they will have chain armor or no armor (usually latter). the troops now have straight swords, either in Roman or persian models, and spears are of the right length. most importatntly, javelins are finally an endangered species...

2-Berbers have already been modded, but i will not go into details, as I was not involved with them-just the lakhmids.

enjoy them in preview:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=185336