Thread: Uesugi 1530 Campaign Story

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Default Uesugi 1530 Campaign Story

Starting period: 1530.
    Rules: Conquer all regions. Morale on, limited ammo on, limited sight on. Time limit on.
    Difficulty: Expert.
    Clan: Uesugi. (Daimyo = Uesugi Tomooki)

#####

Summer 1530:

Region Building List: Kozuke

#####

In this period, the Uesugi start with only Kozuke and Musashi. With Kozuke as 'headquarters'. As only heir I have Uesugi Tomodasa, a 3-star general. Uesugi Tomooki has 3 stars as well. Though Kozuke and Musashi are rich lands, I decided to march eastward into more rich lands before going to war with the other clans. (Takeda are in Kai, the Hojo in Sagami.) I place Uesugi Tomodasa and the major part of my army in Musashi to prevent them from attacking. In Kozuke I train mostly archers, as they work well in the early stage of a campaign. But before I get the chance to attack the rebels sudden invaded Kozuke. However I shot a lot and after short fight they all rout. Now they were weakened, little later, I invaded Echigo. It wasn't much of a problem. The rebels did not have any archers and had low morale. Meanwhile I had started improving my farmlands in Musashi and had built a big castle in Kozuke. In the following years I built a famous Yumi Samurai Dojo, famous Yari Samurai Dojo, Palace, Drill Dojo, Palace, Cavalry Dojo and Buddist Temple. But then the rebels really scared me! They invaded Kozuke again, this time with about double the men I had. I thought it might be hard winning against Expert in Kozuke with such numbers of men. But luckily all ended well. After my archers had shot a few of his men I sent all my men off the little hill and a long fight followed. Luckily I had better troops, because Uesugi Tomodasa had moved to Kozuke and was delivering my troops extra honour. After a time, they fled away and didn't come back. I did not kill much more then I lost, but at least I kept our hq. After this the rebels were really weak in the east, and in a few turns I had conquered Shimozuke and Mutsu. Their armies were numerically inferior and also low-quality. It was pretty easy. By the time I was still improving my economy in Musashi, and now I built mines in Shimozuke and Echigo and better farmlands in Mutsu. Meanwhile a big rebel army in Shinano was constantly fighting with the invading Imagawa Clan. But they kept winning. The Hojo defeated the Takeda in Izu and Kai, but their Daimyo managed to conquer Shinano and escape just in time. My emissary had made alliances with the Imagawa, the Shimazu and the Takeda. However I did cancel the alliance with Imagawa when Takeda ended up with a war with them as well. I think it was about 15 years after the start of our campaign, that Uesugi Tomooki was getting impatient and decided to wipe out all remaining rebels from the east. In two years we conquered Hitachi, Shimosa, Kazusa, Dewa and Sado. The rebel armies were small and weak, so again, it was quite easy. Uesugi Tomooki had won 16 battles now so he achieve rank 5. Uesugi Norimasa became a general as well, and a third son, Kenshin was born. By then, no one knew that he might play an important role on the way to the shogunate for the Uesugi family. I still only used Kozuke as training province, and kept rapidly improving the buildings. I had some cavalry now and started to make a lot of monks. I had also built a Fortress now and was upgrading the Yumi Dojo, Cavalry Dojo and built a bigger Buddist Temple. I made Sado my 'shadow region'. That means, I make all buildings for Ninja's, Shinobi, Emissaries and eventually Geisha's, Battefield Ninja's and perhaps also Kensai and high-honour No-Dachi. I spent the rest of my money on more and more improving my economy. I built improved farmlands, castles, ports, mines, fortresses and big mines. Also, I creates border fortresses in nearly every region. I wanted to be sure no one invaded me by sea or some ninja killed one of my heirs. Now, Tomooki was planning an attack on the Hojo and was mobilising an army in Musashi. The attack on Sagami was a big succes. The Hojo had split up their army in two, one group being the archers, hidden in the forest, the other group all the rest on a distance from that forets. Our Daimyo moved his strong archers to the non-ranged of the Hojo. The didn't know what to do. After a while of being shot they had suffered many, many losses and fled from the field. Not much survived the chase-attack of my Yari Cavalry. After this, the Hojo archers were targetting my infantry. I moved them away, and, the archers followed me and left the forest. That's exactly what I was trying to achieve. They were now an easy prey for my Yari Cavalry, and again, not many survived. In Sagami the Hojo had built border forts so could see his armies in Kai and Izu. They were not very big, and for the major part consisted of yari ashigaru. So I gathered lots and lots of archers in Sagami and invaded Izu. Sadly the ashigaru dogs fled into the castle before I could even see one through the fog. It would take more then a year before the castle was finally cleared from all enemies. But when it did the Hojo had nothing left to be called 'an army'. Their last troops still held Kai, until Uesugi Tomooki moved in a large army from Sagami and Musashi. The Hojo units grouped together, but were totally outnumbered and attacked from all sides. After a short battle it was over for them. But, the Daimyo managed to escape and got into the castle. He only won himself one more season and the lack of food got him killed. Meanwhile, Imagawa and Takeda were no longer at war and I was in alliance with both, and the Shimazu. The Oda still were a small, weak clan, but the Shimazu were rapidly growing stronger and stronger. I just hope a Geisha will be finished in Sado before 'The Shimazu Hordes' arrive at my borderline. Back to business: Uesugi Kenshin had become a 6-star general of our clan. His father took his Yari and Yumi samurai into Shinano and defeated the small Takeda army there, thereby breaking the alliance with them. Right the next turn, Takeda responded by invading Echigo from their last region in the East: Etchu. I had only two units of WM over there, but careful timing, movement and control made them win against at least three times the amount of Takeda samurai. They didn't even have any honour upgrade, and even killed the Takeda Damiyo. Now, Uesugi Kenshin marched NorthWest for his first, and probably most important confrontation: Takeda Shingen. He had become Daimyo of the Takeda Clan and had gathered quite an army in Etchu. But Kenshin did not hestitate and moved a big army to the attack right away. Our allies the Imagawa also joined the attack, and proved to be a good help. Shingen had separated his army in two, his cavalry on the back, melee infantry and archers on the front. The Imagawa engaged their infantry, while my strong archers fired at them. My 240 Yari Cavalry meanwhile totally destroyed their archers. After all this we moved forward to kill Shingen and his last troops. They did not run away, but faced their death as true samurai. Though totally outnumbered Shingen himself managed to kill about a dozen Yari Samurai before he was killed. An honourable opponent, but good to know he's gone. The Uesugi have now whiped out the Takeda, Rebels, and Hojo out of the east and are the next move will be to invade the Imagawa.

#####

Winter 1547:

#####

By now, as you see, the Clan had way too much Koku. So, in Shinano a military center is being built as well. It will be used especially for Cavalry of course. A new emissary was trained in Sado, as the first was murdered in Kai a few years ago, probably by a Takeda Ninja. He discovered that the Takeda has grown a lot in the west as well. Shimazu now holds the major part of Kyushu and Shikoku, but Takeda holds the entire South-West part of Honshu. They are not at war, but they will be, some day. The winning clan will then control the West and be the last, but biggest thread for the road to the shogunate from the Uesugi family. That new emissary tried to create an alliance with the Oda, and succeeds. He is now sended to the Shimazu to set a new alliance, the old one was broken when we attacked the Takeda, but that war is over, at least for now. Kenshin goes at war for the second time now, and has mobilized a big army in Shinano. The idea is to capture Totomi, so Suruga is isolated and the Clan has no more training facilities. Though Kenshin brings a big army, the Imagawa don't give up. Their army, consisting of only high-honour Yumi Samurai, is waiting for us on the plains. When our general sees their army he sees he should have brought cavalry. But, he does not retreat, the 240 Warrior Monks are ordered to attack. They loose quite some men by the ranged fire, but when the reached the enemy they easily defeated them in a melee battle. We sadly lost almost 60 Buddist Warriors, but, we have Totomi! Kenshin orders to burn the Castle down and holds a defensive army in Totomi, while his father is lauching a big attack on Suruga from the East. But when he arrives, the Suruga army is gone, it went to attack Kenshin in Totomi. Kenshin has few high ground for his archers, but they are better trained and armoured and manage to shoot down the numerical superior Imagawa army. The survivors of the Imagawa were forced to commit seppuku as Suruga was occupied by Uesugi Tomooki. In Kozuke lots of Warrior Monks and Yumi Samurai were being trained, and Shinano was starting to produce Cavalry, especially Yari Cavalry. On the front, Kenshin wasts no time, but immediately moves on to attack Mikawa, which is poorly defended. Tomooki had meanwhile moved to Shinano and is leading an attack on Hida. The taxes have been at the lowest level almost from the start of the game, and no army is needed in Suruga. A part of Tomooki's army moves with him to assist Shinano forces in the attack on Hida, the other part moves to Totomi, while his son attacks Mikawa. As expected, Mikawa is given up by the Imagawa, but Hida is not. It ends up as a weird but intresting battle. The enemy had their archers to the back, and Yari Samurai in a forest in front of them. We managed to win by trying to have them leave the forest and then shooting them, so the way was open to their archers. So, our borderline now consists of Mikawa, Shinano, Hida, Etchu and Sado. They are easy to defend, but we will to keep advancing, of course. The Oda have broken the alliance since we attacked Imagawa, and our emissary has not yet found the Shimazu Daimyo.

#####

Spring 1549:

Region Building List: Shinano

#####

I just found out that there is an alliance between the Takeda and the Shimazu. And it seems like they're busy enough with war against the rebels so it might stay like this for a while. The Oda and the Imagawa have an alliance as well. Takeda is at war with the Oda, in the middle of Japan. Tough we've been seriously at war with them, we're now sending an emissary to the Takeda Daimyo. We wil continue attacking the Imagawa and later start a war with the Oda. The Imagawa clans has a quite strong army in Mino and I don't want to attack him right away. Uesugi Tomooki scared the Rebels our of Noto with a small army, and a new-trained emissary has bribed the strong Rebel army in Kaga. In Musashi the Portugese landed, but the family did not approve their religion and coward weapons at all and sent them away. After Kaga had been pacified, our Daimyo attacked Echizen. The Imagawa gave up their lands and gathered all they have left in Mino. More to the north our training castles were getting better and better. The Uesugi spent very much money on the quality of their troops, and it is the best of all Japan. We are also the richest clan, and building ports, border forts, and improved farmlands in all regions we have. In Kozuke lots of Archers and storm troops are trained, in Shinano now also Naginata Cavalry. Though Kenshin is very satisfied with the amount of kills the Yari Cavalry are making. He has gathered 960 Elite troops, of which 360 Yumi Samurai, 300 Warrior Monks and 300 Yari Cavalry. He launches the attack in Mino, against the slightly bigger but less-trained army of the Imagawa. We attacked in heavy rain to minimize losses by ranged fire, and sent the Yari Cavalry forward to see if they can destroy some unprotected archer units. And they could! The Imagawa Yari Samurai were hidden somewhere and the massive Cavalry attack killed about 400 enemy archers and another few fled away. This costed the Uesugi only about 75 losses, so now the Uesugi had now much more Samurai on the field. When Kenshin's main army marched forward the Imagawa Yari Samurai and last archers did as well and appeared on a hill. After quite a while of ranged fire from both sides, th conflict was not much futher, because of the weather. Just then Kenshin ordered the Yari Cavalry to attack again, and also sent forward the Warrior Monks. The Cavalry did manage to defeat the last Imagawa archers but got caught by Yari infantry. They suffered much losses but did not flee, and shortly after the Warrior Monks engaged their enemies they massively fled, most of them to be killed by the remaining Uesugi Cavalry. A big and heavy battle, but thanks to our Cavalry good results: Killed 755, Lost 288. Their Daimyo was killed during battle, so his son has taken over control and still holds Hizen and Chikugo in the West. The remaining army in Mino is trapped in the castle, which is the last Imagawa terrain in the East. The question is, what to do next? In Sado ninja's are being trained to make an attempt in killing one of the Daimyo's of the West, so their armies will take the Uesugi as new leaders. The Oda have big armies and good generals in Wakasa, Omi and Owari, but we do as well. A war with them will be hard, but if we win we own more then half Japan and there is few chance the last Western Clans will be able to stand in our way.

#####

Spring 1552:

#####

Without wasting any more time thinking, Kenshin launches his next attack. We declare war with the Oda, and Kenshin takes a big army to attack Owari, their most important region. Just before the attack, the Oda Daimyo in Owari was assasinated by a one of our new ninja's, which received +3 honour for that. He was now sent towards a normal Oda general. That ninja also showed us the Oda army, mainly Yari Cavalry and Yari Ashigaru. Kenshin takes some archers, and very much Yari Samurai on the attack. When Kenshin moves the archers to the river bank, the flank of the Oda army is already in ranged, and they don't move when we target them. When all of our archers were out of arrows, many enemies had died, and it would be a piece of cake for our infantry to defeat the remaining Oda Cavalry. They realised that as well and fled before we got close, 391 kills for our archers, 0 losses on our side. A perfect battle, and strategically important victory. The loss of Owari, their Daimyo and a good part of their army are a big hit for the Oda, though they still have a big army Omi. In Owari Kenshin is gathering a defensive army, for in case enemies from Omi will come to reinforce the trapped army in the Owari castle.
    We have a large army in Mikawa and are still training new troops in Kozuke and Shinano. We have decided to attack the Oda by sea, we'll enter their lands by the port in Tajima, and send our ninja's over there to make the necessary preparations. Troops from Kozuke and Shinano are moved into Echigo, which has a port as well. But first Uesugi Kenshin nees to defend Owari against the enormous incoming Oda army from Omi. Together with the outbreaking forces of the castle, they have an army of 1667 men. But Kenshin has 960 Samurai at his side, and is a better general then the Oda Daimyo. Owari has two bridges, we deploy 360 Yumi Samurai little behind the bridge, so the incoming Oda army will be shot on the bridges. They are attacking in the fog, a smart move of their general. We did not notice that their entire army was moving towards the Western bridge, and our men on the east would be too late to reinforce. However, we soon found out there was no reason to worry - our excellent archers were literally destorying any group of Ashigaru or Samurai that tried to cross the bridge. They lost so much men that the few ones who did survive would be outnumbered by our few units of Yari Samurai, and those fled away. Half of the Samurai from the Eastern bridge defence line were moved to the west, making ik even harder for the Oda to cross. But, then a few of their archer units appeared on the eastern bridge. Luckily we were numerically superior and could defeat them before it was to late to start targetting the incoming Yari Ashigaru. Those were taken under heavy fire and when our Yari's were charging they fled away, together with the few archers that they had left. Meanwhile, at the Western bridge the Oda daimyo still did not manage to get any of his units across the bridge alive. The arrows were so much that even their Cavalry wasn't fast enough to avoid big losses, and fled as well. Just when we were mostly out of ammunition, the Oda Daimyo gave up and retreated the last few damaged units. Their reserves didn't try either and retreated as well. Again, victory for the Uesugi! And an important one: we killed about 650 Oda warriors, and another 500 are trapped in the Owari castle, all to die soon. We lost 34 Samurai on this defence, so this is a another big loss for the Oda. Little later, our huge armies from Echigo and Mikawa formed a big fleet and totally outnumbered the Oda army in Tajima, which immediately retreated to Wakasa.

#####

Spring 1553:

#####

Now we conquered Tajima, the Takeda is on the other side of our borders now as well. This proved useful right away! We saw his Daimyo in Tamba, and sent our ninja's - Bingo! The first attempt he was dead, killed by the same ninja that killed the Oda Nobuhide - quite a deadly assasin, I would say. But sadly the Takeda clan has not faded yet, as his son has taken over control of the Clan. If I get the chance, I will eliminate him as well and his troops might join my side, as I am their ally. Anyway, Kenshin just launched another attack, on Omi, this time. But though his army is not much bigger then the Oda's, most retreat to Wakasa. But some are trapped in the castle, and will die if the enormous Wakasa does not manage to reconquer Omi. So the Oda loose another part of their army, but not only that - Wakasa is a poor region, without training facilities. It will never support the clan with enough Koku to pay the entire army, let alone produce training facilities and new units. I send a new-trained emissary from Sado towards Wakasa in an attempt to bribe a part of the Oda army. My Ninja's, including 'The Deadly Assasin' mentioned earlier are sent to kill Oda Nobunaga, their last heir and best strategist. But, before they can make an attempt in killing him he moves out of Wakasa, into Omi. The oda see this as their last chance to keep their clan alive and send their entire army: 2154 men. Commanded by Oda Nobuhiro, which was defeated in Owari earlier by Kenshin, which is again the defending general. This time we are outnumbered even more, and it is harder to defend a hill then to defend a bridge. He has 360 Yumi Samurai, and lots of Yari Samurai and Buddist Warriors with Naginata. Tough it is not such a big hill Kenshin defends, again, most of the Oda army is dead before they can reach our archers. When they did, our Yari Samurais started running down and chased them all away. A few did regroup and try again but we still had some ammuntion and those as well were shot down. However this costet us our last arrows and more enemies were regrouping. So we decided to break their morale once again, this time by sending our Yumi Samurai after them, except Uesugi Kenshin and his men of course. He and the infantry rested on the hill, while the firts Oda wave reached the border and suddenly Oda Cavalry were appearing everywhere. Kenshin immediately jumped into action: the Yari's were sent to reinforce the Yumi Samurai. Those were running to the forest in the north to avoid a confrontation with the enemy Yari Cavalry on the open field. They did make it in time, and engaged the Oda cavalry in the forest, which was storming at them from all sides. Though the Yari Samurai did not manage to provide in-time support, our troops in the forest were not being defeated. The well-trained Yumi Samurai formed a square formation so the couldn't be flanked by the enemy Yari Cavalry, which couldn't move their horses and spears well in the forest. Some fled away after a tough battle, some kept fighting until the Yari Samurai arrived and attacked them their flanks. Many cavalrists did not manage to escape, and the rest of the reinforcements returned home because they had ran out of time. Again, a big victory for Kenshin, tough we lost 150 brave Samurai. We killed another 650 Oda warriors, and some more are trapped in the Omi castle. The rest of their army in Wakasa is too small to be a treat to our defences in Echizen, Mino, Omi and Tajima. It have been extremely destructive years for the Oda clan, and it is likely that they will soon be defeated foregood.

#####

Spring 1554:

#####

It is time for the final defeat for the Oda clan. The Major part of their army has been bribed, and the bribed army is reinforced my Uesugi Tomooki from Mino, in total we have 709 Samurais. Oda Nobunaga has 399 Warriors, almost all Yari Cavalry. Tomooki sends forward his archers, backed up by the Yari Samurai. He and the rest of the cavalry is advancing on the right, preparing to flank the enemy when they get in a battle with the Uesugi infantry. However, Nobunaga is an excellent general and surprises us by attacking our cavalry with his. He soon kills one group, but Uesugi seems to settle things by flanking the enemy cavalry and sending the Yari Samurai over there as well. But Nobunaga appeared to had some more cavalry, and attacks our flanking cavalry in the rear. Meanwhile our archers have targetted the enemy Yari Ashigaru, and 2 groups with Yari's have cought one group of cavalry in the forest and defeat it. At the cavalry battle, the Oda are winning. Our Yari Samurai arrived just in time to prevent Uesugi Tomooki from being killed. Soon after they attacked the Oda cavalry they kill Nobunaga and their last men flee away. Now that the Oda are gone, we have three opponents left: the Takeda, the Shimazu and the Imagawa. Our alliance with the Takeda was soon broken as they attacked us, they gave up the battle, but Shimazu also cancelled our alliance. Uesugi Kenshin and his father decide to conquer the rebel lands in the middle of Japan first, including Yamashiro. After that we will go at war once more with the Takeda, who hold Inaba, Harima, Kawachi and lots of regions behind those. The conquering of the Rebel area went quite well: our emissary bribed the largest parts of the armies in Iga and Yamashiro, and enabled an attack at Kii by sea. The Rebels were totally outnumbered and outclassed, and gave up Tamba, Yamashiro, Iga, Yamata and Kii without a fight. Because of the bribed armies and the rebels being trapped in the castles they lost most of their army. But our emissary was murdered, and we didn't want to wait longer so we had to deal with a big, strong rebel army in Ise, their last region. Kenshin gathered a lot of cavalry, some Yumi and No-Dachi samurai and launched the attack in heavy rain. The first enemies we saw trough the rain, was the enemy general and a few archers. Kenshin decided to make a go for it and sended some cavalry to attack, but after a few kills enemy Warrior Monks appeared and the cavalry retreated. After this, the main army was sent forward to start ranged war, and the entire right flank cavalry group was sent to attack to attack the enemy general and the Warrior Monks close to him. Our western flank cavalry meanwhile showed good teamwork and manage to kill some enemy Yumi Samurai and Yari Ashigaru, and the rest of them fled. Our cavalry did not chase them but attacked the main enemy army together with the No-Dachi Samurais. Meanwhile the right flank cavalry was being outnumbered, flanked and trapped by the enemy troops, including Yari Samurai. They were taking heavy losses and were ordered to retreat but couldn't get away. A little later the few men who were left fled away, and the enemy Warrior Monks suddenly ran for my Samurai archers, who were unprotected since the No-Dachi had advanced forward. Our Yumi Samurai, including Uesugi Kenshin, pulled their swords and engaged with the enemy Warriors. We were taking lots of casulties but managed to hold off the enemies long enough for the No-Dachi and cavalry to return from the front and attack the enemy in the back. They were almost all killed and our cavalry moved to the border to wait for their reinforcements. Those formed three groups, but were one by one attacked by all sides by our cavalry and the fled away. Kenshin wins once again, but at a price: 933 kills, 488 losses. In Sado the a Citadell and a Geisha Training Dojo have been built, and the first Geisha begins her training, while a Sword Dojo and a Battlefield Ninja Dojo are being built. In Kozuke all buildings have been upgraded to the top level and a border fort and improved farmlands are being built. Shinano is still upgrading it's buildings, as well as Yamashiro, which we have chosen as third training region. All of our Ninja's got killed lately, 'The Deadly Assasin was captured and killed in a Takeda border fort. We have produced six new Ninja's. Those are sent into Aki, to prepare a port attack on the Takeda headquarters. A sad event during this period was the death of Uesugi Norimasa, which was murdered in Echizen. A happy event is that Uesugi Kagekatsu will soon become a general.

#####

Autumn 1557:

Region Building List: Sado

#####

Again, our family has not much time of peace, before the next war starts. A big, strong new-trained army from Shinano and Kozuke moved to Echigo invaded Aki by sea. The small garrison in Aki fled away, because it was heavily outnumbered. We destroy all buildings, just in case the Takeda manage to take Aki back. But our army holds Aki, as it is easy to defend and we might be able to defeat a part of the Takeda army by defending their own headquarters. Meanwhile, Uesugi Kenshin takes a 960-men army with him in an attack on Kawachi, where a 3-star Takeda general has an 886-men garrison for the defense of the river. Kenshin attacks in good weather and as usual places his archers right behind the river bank, while the rest of the army crosses the bridge. We have mainly Yari Samurai, and send them in four groups of 120 men across the bridge. Especially the first group takes much casulties under the rain of arrows, but they are brave and eventually reach the enemy archers and start hand-to-hand combat. They are outnumbered at first, but soon the second group arrives to reinforce them, and again a little later the third. By then our well-trained Samurai are winning the battle, the fourth group attacks the last enemy Yari Samurais in the back, and they are all killed. Our Warrior Monks have now also crossed the bridge and the Takeda see it is hopeless and flee away. They are better rested and we don't have any cavalry so they manage to escape. We win: 290 Kills, 199 Losses, all Yari Samurai. Not a bad result for a bridge crossing battle. A desastrous season for the Takeda, I would say. They lost their main training base, two economically important lands and an good defense region all at once. The Uesugi armies from Yamashiro, Yamato and Kii are no longer needed there so move to Tamba and Kawachi. The Takeda armies are nothing compared to ours, and there seems to be not one reason why we should totally destroy them within a few years.

#####

Spring 1558:

#####

The next battle will be at Harima: Uesugi Kenshin again takes 960 Samurai on the attack, and hopes to defeat this part of the Takeda army. Sadly they flee at the sight of his army and no battle takes place. The same happens when a large army from Tajima advances to Inaba. The same year, Kenshin again tries to defeat a part of the Takeda army and this time he succeeds. He attacks Mimesaka, but again the enemy flee before any battle takes place, but this time they are trapped in the castles and all of them, about 600 enemy warriors, will die soon. In the West our large armies conquer Hoki and Izumo as well, also without a fight. The Takeda are loosing a lot of men because they are trapped in castles, and are also rapidly loosing territory. The army in Aki has only grown bigger and the small garrisons in the regions next to Aki form no treat to us. To make it even worse, a Geisha from Sado finished her training and has started eliminating the generals and emissaries. A second Geisha is now in training, but we are not planning to eliminate an enemy Daimyo, because then the Ronin will team up with the other big enemy clan and we only create a bigger treat. We will just keep conquering their lands, and assasinating their generals. We have more then enough Koku, low taxes and excellent loyalty from our people. The Portugeze came by a few times again, but to no success.

#####

Summer 1559:

Region Building List: Yamashiro

#####

Our armies are big enough, so we are placing a big attack. We attack Suo, Iwami, Bingo, Bitchu and Hizen all at the same time, and in all cases we outnumber the enemy army. The Takeda retreat everywhere, except in Bizen. Kenshin leads the attack: Our 960 Samurai against 416 Takeda warriors. After a while of advancing and a few arrows flying over, the Takeda army is looking cover in a forest in the South-West. Kenshin sends all of the infantry into the forest, and has it attack the enemy units from the front and the side. The enemy cavalry should've better stayed out of the forest, it was easily defeated. Our troops were lots better and also the enemy No-Dachi and Yumi Samurai were easily defeated. But Kenshin missed out one group of enemy Cavalry Archers, and they were too fast for our infantry and kept running away. We had to go back home: killed 394, lost 116. The first loss for our clan since the beginning of Sengoku Jidai, let's hope it won't happen again. Kenshin again invades Bizen, and his father takes a big army from Kawachi on the attack to Awaji. The Takeda army in Bizen has 22 men, but does not give up. This time Kenshin brought some Yari Cavalry, and they are easily defeated. In Awaji the attack was cancelled since suddenly a good general appeared over there. Our Geisha had been assasinating some more emissaries and generals meanwhile, and is going fo this one now. Meanwhile a second Geisha is finshed in Sado, and starts eliminating enemy Emissaries. In Suo, Bingo, Bitchu and Bizen the Takeda got trapped in their castles, and they lost many men again. But their Daimyo in Nagato still has quite an army. Next season, the attack in Awaji goes well. Uesugi Tomooki has brought lots of Cavalrists and uses them very well: after a little while all of the enemy Yumi Samurai and No-Dachi have been defeated and are fleeing. The Takeda cavalry was trying to catch ours, but we retreated and our Yari Samurai were moved in. Though they had no were to go to, and would have to commit Hara-Kiri, the enemies fled. We killed 479, and lost 125. The more-experienced of the two Geisha's is sent to eliminate the Takeda Daimyo in Nagato, while we are preparing war with the Shimazu. The new Geisha followed an emissary into Bungo and we decided to attack it with our new-trained armies from the East. We come with 840 men, and need to defeat 886. Both generals are inexperienced, this might proove to be a hard battle. When we are advancing, we notice that the Shimazu are better organized and trained then any enemy we had so far, and the inexperienced general is not confident about the battle. He makes a mistake by sending his cavalry forward and almost gets it cought by Yari Samurais. The Shimazu also try a cavalry charge, but it is coutered well, and when they run away suddenly more of their army runs away - our cavalry most have scared them. Though he has only half of his army left, a heavy hand-to-hand battle commences. It is to our luck that we had some strong Naginata and Yari Samurai, otherwise we would've broken soon. Because of the numerical advantage we eventually gained the upper hand - and when a few of our groups were appearing on the back of their last men standing, those fled but were almost all killed. Victory! Killed 642 enemies, lost 281 men. Our army right away attacks the unprotected Iyo, and a defensive army that was used in the war with the Takeda, led by Uesugi Tomooki is sent to hold Bungo. If we do get a few regions and win some defending battles we might be able to defeat a big part of the Shimazu army, but it will be hard.

#####

Summer 1661

#####

As expected, the Shimazu launch a massive charge at Bungo: Our 911 Samurai defend it against 2092 Warriors. We have a lot of Yumi Samurai and when they get in range they soon suffer many casulties. On the right flank they don't havea any Yari Samurai so our Cavalry charges it and kills many enemy archers. On the left flank, 60 Yari Samurai have formed a line in the forest and are easily defeating the enenmy Yari Cavalry. Our cavalry chases them only briefly before it rides back and our archers prepare to fire once again. What's left of the enemy army indeed tries again and comes back, but it totally shot down, and the last few men are killed by our cavalry. Their reinforcements appearantly have been shocked, and they all give up without a fight. We hold Bungo! Made 515 kills, lost 47 men, another 600 enemies are trapped in the castle. Their Daimyo was killed in battle by our Yari Cavalry, and his son was murdered in Sanuki by on of our Geisha's. But the Clan, lives on, there are still two sons of their old Daimyo alive. Iyo was conquered without a fight, and a few Samurai from Bungo reinforce it, while again a few groups of Samurai from the East reinforce Bungo. The Shimazu have lost many men, but still have a lot left. One of our Geisha's is now eliminating Emissaries in Chikuezen, and the other is still trying to kill the Takeda Daimyo. The next season the Shimazu massively attack Bungo again, with again 200 Warriors, against. The battle is almost the same as the last one: they advance towards us, most of them get shot and flee before engagement, and our cavalry attacks their right flank and chases them when they flee away. But this time our cavalry kept chasing the enemies, and were eventually trapped by the enemy reinforcements. Luckily most managed to escape, but one group got caught and totally destroyed. When these reinforcements reached our archers another ranged war started, in which we did not loose much but our ammunition. When only few of us had arrows left our remaining Cavalry charged them and they all fled away, but before we could kill much the time limit was reached. Killed 838, lost 67, and again many Shimazu Warriors are trapped in the castle. Their entire armies from Chikuezen and Buzen are destroyed, and we move about 2000 Samurai from the east to Bungo by sea. The Takeda Daimyo was finally murdered, so their Clan was now really defeated. Their army reinforced the Shimazu. Our Geisha's are now sent to the last heir of the Shimazu Clan and to Tokugawa Ieyasu, the heir and brilliant general of the Imagawa Clan. If he survives, he might become quite a problem in the last battles of our conquest. Shimazu is now weakened, and we launch our attack: From Bungo we invade Hyuga and Buzen, and from Suo and Iwami we invade Nagato.

#####

Summer 1662:

Region Building List: Shinano

#####

The Shimazu gave Hyuga and Buzen up without a fight, the army of Nagato is forced to defend their lands as they can't flee to Buzen. Kenshin brings 960 Samurai, the enemy have 670. The enemy have separated their cavalry from their infantry, all of them melee units. We separate our archers and warrior monks from our cavalry, and the archers and warrior monks are sent to the enemy cavalry. Their infantry is wandering around elsewere, and Kenshin uses his cavalry well. One by one they are attacked from four sides and totally destroyed. Meanwhile the enemy cavalry is in ranged fire, but does nothing but holding their position. They are taking many casulties and our cavalry is coming to back up our infantry. After we run out of arrows, we charge from all sides with our entire army. The enemies soon give up and try to flee, but no one escapes. We killed 670, lost 37. Another brilliant result, now we own all regions of Honshu. Our armies from Nagato are sent to Buzen, and the Buzen army invades Chikuezen, where is only a small Shimazu garrison. Suddenly, the Imagawa start war with us as well: Tokugawa Ieyasu bring 1689 Warriors on the attack to Bungo. He and Tomooki both have a lot of archers, but we have the advantage of the height. As expected a ranged war takes place on the battlefield, but it goes much better then expected. The Tokugawa archers are takes lots of casulties and have difficulties targetting our archers on the hill. Meanwhile our Yari Samurai have taken the forest to the west and are attacking enemy archers and Yari Ashigaru. On the enemy's right flank are nog spear units, and we take all our cavalry to a charge. Their archers are good melee fighters as well and Ieyasu responds quickly, but still we manage to kill a lot, and after our archers targetted Ieyasu himself and he lost most of his men he flees. But Tomooki immediately realized that this was a great opportunity: he sent his Yari Cavalry - Tokugawa Ieyasu was killed on the battlefield. The rest of his forces were shocked by the loss of their leader and didn't even set one step in our direction. We hold Bungo, and most important killed the Imagawa best general and 800 of their warriors. Our Geisha's are now sent to kill the Shimazu Daimyo's brother and Imagawa Ujisane.

#####

Winter 1562:

#####

When we sent a few units from Iyo into Bungo the Shimazu took their chance and attacked it from Sanuki. A good chance to defeat a part of his army, but it'll be hard. We have 540 Samurai, they have 1381. They have a better general and a larger army, but we can rest of a big hill. Our general uses our archer ammunition wisely, and we manage to shoot most of the enemy Warrior Monks and Yari Samurai, and also a lot of Yumi Samurai. When they target us and their infantry attacks, our Yari Samurai roll down the hill and all enemies flee away. Their reinforces flee without a fight, Killed 590, lost 124. A good result, now Sanuki will be lots easier to conquer. In the South We massively invade Hizen, and the Imagawa give it up and retreat to their castle. Little later Ujisane is murdered, which means the end of the Imagawa Clan. The Shimazu have small armies in Satsuma and Osumi, and we send big armies to attack them. They give up without fighting, and all retreat to Higo. At Shikoku, we send a big army into Awa, hoping that the Shimazu will give up this well-defendable region without a fight. But they don't: our 960 Samurai face 707 defending Shimazu Warriors. As always we place our archers at the riverbank and send our Yari Samurai across the bridge in groups of 120 men. At first we take many casulties under the ranged fire, but when the hand-to-hand combat start we are in the advantage. More and more of our Samurai are crossing the bridge, while there is a rain of arrows upon the enemy Yari Ashigaru. Soon they all run away, and we manage to kill some more on the way to the border. Taken 454 heads, lost 162 men. The Tosa garrison is small and isolated, so we send in a big army. A new emissary from Sado is sent to bribe the army is Chikugo, because it is a very big army and Chikugo has a bridge. Three small groups of ninja's are sent from Sado to the south as well, where they will try to kill the Shimazu Daimyo. Our Geisha's are sent to eliminate his brother in Sanuki.

#####

Spring 1564:

#####

The enemies in Tosa have no place to run so must try to defend their grounds, while heavily outnumbered: 1218-365. Soon our Yumi Samurai target the enemy army in the forest, which starts taking casulties. They soon leave their cover and charge at our archers, but our general has a good timing and our infantry can protect our archers. They enemy heads back for the forest, and our infantry charges them, while our archers start firing again. Our cavalry circles round the enemy and blocks their escape route, while our infantry defeats them in the forest. They soon flee away, and are almost all killed: 363 - 57. Now we almost own all of Shikoku. Our emissaries are attempting to bribe the large Chikugo garrison, because Chikugo is easy defendable. The last Shimazu heir was murdered in Sanuki, and our Geisha's now concentrate on the Daimyo. But first our ninja's will try to kill him in a battle in Higo: there are 36 of them, and they are supported by a lot of Yumi Samurai, led by Uesugi Tomooki. The archers are positioned by the border, while our ninja's advance towards their target. The enemy army is marching towards our archers so the ninja's will have to hurry. The first group goes for it, and they fight with the Daimyo Bodyguards for a few seconds but they are caught by Yari Samurai and all killed. The last two groups were discovered too early because they attacked a group of enemy cavalry without permission. Soon they lay under heavy ranged fire and ran for the enemy Daimyo, both did almost manage to get him but they were caught and all killed. The enemy Daimyo lost half of his bodyguard, but he did survive. Meanwhile their army had kept marching and was lying under heavy ranged fire by our archers. One by one their charging units were totally shot down, as well as their archers. We kept killing many, until we ran out of ammunition and had to retreat: Killed 672, lost 113. The army in Chikugo was bribed, and the few enemies that were not, were easily defeated in a very short melee battle. Our emissaries were now sent to bribe a part of the army in Sanuki, and they succeeded. They had only 574 men left, and we were attacking with 1773 Samurai. The enemy had once again hidden in a forest, at the back of the map. They have a lot of archers, and we a lot of cavalry, but they are protected by the trees. We move in our infantry to attack them, while the cavalry is at the side and runs to the back of the enemy army. The fighting enemy archers get flanked by our cavalry, but a few stayed out of the fight and they manage to kill quite some of us. However when their main army was defeated the lawst few groups were so heavily outnumbered they soon gave up. We killed 561 and lost 235 here, the rest of the enemies is trapped in the castle. Only one region is not yet in our hands: Higo. The Shimazu Lord was murdered little after we conquered Sanuki, and we have bribed a part of the rebel army in Higo. We again outnumber the enemy: 841 against 316. We have a lot of cavalry, and the enemy has mainly archers. Our general doesn't even bother sending the infantry but lets the cavalry do the job. One by one the enemy units are attacked from all sides, and one by one they are destroyed or flee away. Their Yari Infantry does manage to kill some of us but they are soon overrun by our Samurai Cavalry. We kill 314 , and loose 171. The rest of them gets trapped and killed in the castle.

#####

Winter 1566:

#####

After almost 36 years of total war, our Clan gained full control of entire Japan. Led by our noble lord Uesugi Tomooki, we crushed all enemy clans one by one. Faced with our enormous armies, the last opposition soon lay down it's weapons. Our Daimyo rightfully declared himself Seii Taishogun, he was old and tired from war and passed on the title to his heirs. For the next centuries we would rule Japan, which was brought to peace by Total War...

#####

#####

The campaign was succefully finished in almost 36 years.
    All battles were won, except for two in which we ran out of time.
    Our total army has about 15.000 Samurai.
    Our clan has about 90.000 Koku
    Last edited by Drisos; 05-17-2006 at 14:30. Reason: Update!
    - Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

Default Re: Uesugi 1530 Campaign Story

Nice Drisos!

Link added to the sticky thread.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Uesugi 1530 Campaign Story

Great work, Drisos!

Just one request: do not give in to the temptation of the Geisha. Japan should be won with the sword, not the teacup.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

That was sweet, Drisos! It's good to see the Takeda know thy wrath. I have this sudden desire to go play Shogun again now (it's been at least a month). Can't wait to read the next installment!
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Flavius Claudius Julianus Member NodachiSam's Avatar

Yea nice campaign so far. You're almost done!
    Please check out my art http://calcaneus.deviantart.com/

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Thannk you folks!

It was a nice campaign! bit grumpy about the two losses though ..
    - Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -