Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Court of the Caliph: BC Hotseat Council Thread

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

Default Re: Court of the Caliph: BC Hotseat Council Thread

A messenger arrives at Court and hurries to speak with the Vizier, who nods and addresses the Court.

Caliph An-Nasir the Peacemaker invites the representatives of Takavor Hetum I, King of Armenia, to join the Romano-Turkish peace talks.

If the Armenian delegates would kindly follow the messenger to the antechamber - their statement is awaited by the negotiating parties.

The Caliph is devoting his attention to these talks, but has asked me to announce to the Court that he is preparing a statement regarding the Ghorid aggression in India - it will be heard here when it is ready.
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

The Caliph enters the chamber to a fanfare from trumpet-wielding ghulams.

More ghluams follow, bearing a glass case in which sits a scroll.

The Vizier stands and addresses the court.

The Caliph is delighted to announce the Treaty of Baghdad, which bears the signatures of the leaders of the Eastern Roman Empire, the Turkish Sultanate, and the Kingdom of Armenia, and provides for peace between these nations in Anatolia.

The Treaty contains the following clauses:

- The Eastern Roman Empire, the Turkish Sultanate and the Kingdom of Armenia will cease hostilities.

- Rome is to pay 8,000 florins to Turkey in reparations, over a two year period.

- Ikonion is to be returned to Turkey immediately.

- The Romans renounce all territorial claims to Cilicia, and will return Adana to Armenian control immediately.

- The Roman force currently garrisoning Adana will withdraw peacefully, by ship or through Turkish lands.

- Heraklea is to be returned to Roman control immediately.

- Rome's territorial claims to Seleukeia and Krimeia are recognised by Turkey and Armenia.

The Caliph notes that a state of war still exists between the Kingdom of Georgia and the Eastern Roman Empire, but has been assured by the Turkish Sultan that the Georgians will cease hostilities at his request.

Nevertheless it is desirable that the representatives of Georgia make their intentions known here before the nations of the region.

The Caliph also recognises that a state of war exists between the Turkish Sultanate, the Kingdom of Armenia and the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

He hopes that the three parties will declare an armistice to accompany this Treaty, and offers his assistance in negotiating such an agreement.

All hail Caliph An-Nasir, blessed of Allah, descendent of the Prophet, Defender of the Faith, known by his people as the Peacemaker!

Another fanfare. The Caliph looks satisfied.
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 04-18-2008 at 00:55.

The longest lasting leper ever Member rossahh's Avatar

"sate of war exists between...the Kingdom of Armenia and the Kingdom of Jerusalem."

The old man's head whips up in surprise from the map he was studying ( trying to figure out who got what in Anatolia) upon hearing the Vizier's words. He is more than a little bit surprised - Jerusalem and Armenia weren't at war as far as he knew. Was that European swine playing tricks again?
    "Okay, here come the cavalry, get your swords out lads!" - the Captain details his orders to the pikemen

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

He's probably referring to the unified foreign policy of Armenia and Turkey. So far, you've rejected cease-fire with the Turks, even though we offered it again last turn.

So unless you're planning on extending that cease-fire with Armenia to Turkey, it's somewhat meaningless.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

ooc: I haven't received any diplomatic offers from you in game yet. I sent you a diplomat with an offer last turn. You should talk to BZ though (you'll understand when you do - but keep in mind that happened after my last turn).
    "Okay, here come the cavalry, get your swords out lads!" - the Captain details his orders to the pikemen

Post Re: Court of the Caliph: BC Hotseat Council Thread

The entire Ayyubid delegation cheers at the words of the Caliph. The Ayyubid ambassador seems relieved

Allah has blessed us, for he has guided these negociations towards success.

Bless the Caliph, for without him, blood would continue to flow in the rivers of Anatolia.

The Ayyubids are greatly pleased by this peace treaty, and hope it will last.

We would like to congratulate the Turks, the Romans and the Armenians for concluding peace.

I would like to formally invite all of the ambassadors for a feast, to celebrate the dawn of a new age.

The Caliph is visibly delighted at the prospect of a feast hosted by the Ayyubid ambassador.

Seizing upon what the Turk just said

Oh, so if Armenia is united with you in foreign policy, what you are saying is that a mere season (turn) after offering and receiving a cease fire agreement, the Armenians declared war upon the Kingdom?

Or worse still, as you were a collective on these matters, did you negotiate a cease fire, only to violate it a season later by attacking us?

And you say we have no concept of honour!

What I am saying is that since you negotiated only a cease fire with the Armenians, and refused any such thing with the Turks, the cease fire is invalid.

The Turk rolls his eyes at the Jerusalem ambassador

You cannot be at peace with the Armenians and not with the Turks. According to the Treaty of Adana, we are one nation and we have one foreign policy. Since they are technically our protectorate according to the treaty, the proper course of action is to contact US in matters of foreign policy, as stated in the treaty which was made public to all.

Hands a copy of the treaty to an aide, who places it at the feet of the Jerusalem ambassador, and with a slight bow, returns to the delegate table.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

The man from Jerusalem kicks the scroll away

Your memory is fading somewhat. This is about what happened before the war between us started with your attack on our Cicillian holdings. Your words do not make sense. How could there be any cease fire arrangement with the Turks before there was any conflict?

You declared war on our ally... according to the terms of the treaty, that makes you our enemies. Our strike against your prone territories was the only thing we could do to help Armenia militarily, besides attacking Rome. And as for the cease-fire with Armenia, they have publicly stated what a hostage negotiation that was, and how glad they are that we have intervened on their behalf. It seems the only person who thought there was a real cease fire was you.

Now you can either discuss a real cease fire with us or not. We've wasted enough time talking about this. Any agreement must be a fair return to the status quo prior to the Armenian massacre and it must include both Turkey and Armenia, otherwise we will throw it out, like we did with your ever-so-generous ceasefire agreement with Armenia, which even the rats which nibble on those tattered scrolls now spit upon.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 04-19-2008 at 02:40.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

The ambassador hears the Turks words and hurriedly motions to someone behind him. A scroll is passed forward, and the ambassador begins to read the Turks' own words back to him.

"In fact, on a more positive note, we seem to have reached a peace arrangement with the Latin kingdom, and we will verify this shortly. Therefore, we wish to make clear our position; Jerusalem is not an enemy of the Turks. Those who attack Jerusalem without just cause will not be friends of the Turks. That is the official position of the Sultanate of Rum.

We are committed to peace, great council. Since the Kingdom of Jerusalem has accepted the terms of a peace agreement, we must now press the Romans to do the same. Until then, we regret that we are still at war with the Imperialist aggressors."

The man looks up at the Turkish delegation briefly, before continuing.

"Forgive my servant, honorable messenger of King Baldwin. If you speak the truth, then there shall be no war. It has always been the stated policy of the Sultanate of Rum that we shall brook no aggression, we will arm ourselves to destroy aggressor states, but we will not be the ones who start wars against peaceful factions.

If you are serious about peace, then you shall have it. We have far more important matters to attend to on the Roman front, anyway."

The man hands the scroll back to one of those seated behind him, before facing the Turkish delegation once more.

Like I said, you seemed to have forgotten your own words and your nation's actions. I shall spell out the order of events for the court and yourself, as you have seen to forgotten them:

After Jerusalem attacked Armenia, you publicly declared war. Therefore, Jerusalem was at war with Armenia and the Sultanate.

The Turkish Sultanate concluded a peace where Jerusalem would cease attacking Armenia and let the refugees and survivors flee in Turkish-held Anatolia. The eastern part of Cicillia remained under the control of the Kingdom. Therefore, Jerusalem was at peace with the Turks but still technically at war with Armenia, though the fighting has stopped.

Armenia OFFERED a cease fire, which we, thinking that the war was over between Jerusalem and the nations of Anatolia, accepted gladly. Therefore, Jerusalem was at peace with both Armenia and the Turks.

The very next season, the Turkish Sultanate attacked our possessions in Cicillia, thereby declaring war on Jerusalem again, after already engineering peace less than a year before. And as you say the Armenians are united in your foreign policy, Jerusalem was at war with both the Turks and Armenia again, yet had just concluded a peace with both of them.

That is the way it stands at the moment, and so far you have rejected our cease fire proposals because you do not feel that we are in a position to demand compensation (for something slightly more complicated than ->), despite being suddenly attacked by a 'peaceful' nation. Likewise, we have rejected your proposal (I got one this turn) as there is absolutely no possibility of us rewarding you with a sum of money, no matter how small, for attacking us.

And you once accused us of not following our words, yet look at your own actions!

Do you not see how decietful both your nations have been to us?
    Last edited by rossahh; 04-19-2008 at 03:08.

Ah pity the poor kingdom of Jerusalem... yes indeed, we have been such terrible neighbors to you.

We sit idly by while you rape and pillage Armenia openly, not even bothering to hide your actions before the council. We sent an invasion army against Rome in the hope of limiting the war to one front. Hopefully Armenia was to fight a guerrilla war against you, but indeed they only succeeded against Rome and triumphed valliantly. Then you abandoned your lands, allowing Rome to take them by force (the ONLY reason someone would so this is so that they could pillage the city, which in an action objected to OOC by other players besides myself) and we were able to acquire your abandoned land.

Your cease-fire with Armenia was a farce, and now we can openly treat it as such. Surely you must have thought Armenia signed it as a delaying tactic, perhaps? Or to spare their lives from your unprovoked aggression and massacre?

Ah but they lied to you when they signed the cease fire. And so did we. So that makes us the bad guys.

Arrest me! I'm a criminal! Put me in chains, for I deserve to be crucified for this horrendous atrocity!

As stated above. A real cease-fire would include the restoration of Armenia, and nothing short of that. And by the way, since I managed to accomplish that, and through peace with Rome, that is now possible, I offered you a cease fire. I have allies that require my assistance in the East, and this squabbling is pointless.

Either you can accept the terms of an honourable and equitable ceasefire which doesn't even chastise you for your involvement in attempted GENOCIDE, or you can reject the cease-fire again. It doesn't matter to me.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 04-19-2008 at 03:19.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

ooc: If you really want peace, then why ask for money in your diplomatic offer? Neither of us has offered a cease fire and trade rights only as of yet.

Also, to explain the "exploit", like I did to Ramses when he asked - Rome wasn't to take them by force. I had offered them a prearranged deal in which I gifted them (using in-game diplomacy) those 3 settlements in exchange for 2 others. That deal obviously didn't work by the time TheLemongate's next turn came around as I no longer controlled 2 of the settlements. I took all my troops out because it was easier to all leave at once rather than move them around neutral towns for a few turns and the war between Armenia, the Turks and I was over.

The old man from Jerusalem tilts his head slightly and gazes intently at the Turkish ambassador. It a quiet but forceful voice:

You knew what would eventually become of the Cicillian settlements. Do you forget the terms of that first peace?

Quote Originally Posted by rossahh
    ooc: Also, to explain the "exploit", like I did to Ramses when he asked - Rome wasn't to take them by force. I had offered them a prearranged deal in which I gifted them (using in-game diplomacy) those 3 settlements in exchange for 2 others. That deal obviously didn't work by the time TheLemongate's next turn came around as I no longer controlled 2 of the settlements. I took all my troops out because it was easier to all leave at once rather than move them around neutral towns for a few turns and the war between Armenia, the Turks and I was over.
    OOC: Yes that is what was to happen. I marched into Adana only because it would have fallen to Armenia who plays before rossahh. And yes I did pillage it. This will be described IC when I continue the AAR.

Also, such accusations should be kept to a minimum really. And not in the Council thread.

And this was, of course, the chair of the Roman delegation talking, OOC of course, because, as everyone knows, there are no Romans in the council!

OOC: The Romans won't stay at Court now the Caliph has brokered peace and restored them to the international community?

All this OOC stuff doesn't belong in the IC Caliph's Court. In the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, I con-demn you all to hey-ell!

Whoops! Wrong religion...
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Friends, brothers, let us not plant new seeds for war.

We whole heartedly support a cease-fire between Jerusalem and the Turks, even if the conditions surrounding their state of war are unclear.

Let us stop this bickering and remember how no trouble filled our minds when we ate all those delicacies at the magnificent feast.

There was a feast??? I was off slaughtering Romans at the time... or trying to...

I was this close! This close! And the Caliph decides to go all noble and "let's have peace and sing kumbaya together" and I hold my axe for a few seconds and already I've missed a feast???

Dammit! Now I HAVE to kill some Romans...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Turkish ambassador's aides surround the exits and bar the doors. The Turk wields his weapon and marches menacingly towards the Roman delegation's table... upon getting there, he swings his mighty axe...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    And cuts the big, juicy turkey into two equal halves. Then he takes his assassin's blade and serves himself some fresh slices of the tasty meat.

What? You thought I was going to... really? Nah I'd never do that...
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 04-19-2008 at 05:40.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

A tall thin man walks into the Council chamber, his diplomatic robes dusty from recent travel. He identifies himself as Qiwam, the new GhaZim representative to the Council. Clearing his throat, he addresses the Council.

"Shah Khusrau of the GhaZim would like it known that his state is now officially at war with both the Shah of Kwarezhm and the Sultan of the Ghorids. May Allah decide whose cause is more righteous".

The man then turns and slowly walks to the GhaZim section, taking the head seat of his nation's table.
    Last edited by Zim; 04-20-2008 at 07:53.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

...and there was much rejoicing!
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

so be it, the GhaZims will be crushed just as the Indians were.

wherever the wind takes my (broadband connected) box

And are the Ghanzivids bothering with an excuse or do they see this as an oppertunity to take undefended settlements?
    WotB: Timarchos Anaias Mysiakes, marching round the arche beating up rebels

LotR: Lisas Attaliedas, currently in reserve

The Vizier rises and reads from a scroll.

The Caliph is appalled that while he has been working for peace in Anatolia, new conflicts have begun in the East.

The Ghorids have earned the Caliph's contempt by betraying the terms of the peace he negotiated for them in good faith.

The Rajputs' offer of a trial by combat seems a sensible way to resolve the issue, minimising the bloodshed and the disturbance to the lives of the peoples of India.

As for the war that rages in Transoxania, the Caliph is not convinced at the Seljuks' claims to be acting in self-defence (whatever the Turks say) - he remembers the similar claim that accompanied their attack on Georgia.

And the Ghaznavids seem to be acting with the utmost opportunism in joining in the aggression to sieze lands from the Shah.

The Caliph condemns this naked aggression against a fellow Islamic leader, and appeals to all parties involved to cease the fighting and come to a peaceful arrangement to end the war.

The Commander of the Coalition forces would also sponsor a peace arrangement, if one were possible with the Ghorids who agree to treaties and then break them... but of course that would mean the immediate cessation of hostilities and the total withdrawl from Rajput territory. Reparations would also seem to be in order, but it is not for me to dictate what the wounded party should receive for their scars.

However, with so many large armies and such easy conquests ahead, it seems doubtful the Ghorids would even pretend to agree to a peace deal now.

As for the Khwarezmids, I have done everything in my power to resolve the dispute between them and their neighbors. At this point I would ask for the Caliph's assistance. I could move for a vote in the Coalition council if the international outcry becomes loud enough.

Would those of you in the Caliph's court who would like to see the cessation of hostilities in the Khwarezmid lands please send me a message? I'm a wartime commander who holds no executive power whatsoever in the internal decisions of Member States, so I cannot order them to stop fighting. If I were to offer them something in exchange for thier mercy towards the Shah, I might be more persuasive. Perhaps those interested in peace could contribute to the negotiation process by offering something to compensate those involved.

Frankly, if there were no reparations from Rome, there probably would have been no peace. I'm not sure there can be a peace between myself and Jerusalem without some kind of monetary gift. Promises of peace are nice, but gold holds more weight. At this point, what else could convince the Ghorids to stop attacking the Rajputs? What else could convince the Seljuks to stop their attack on the Shah? What else could cement the peace between the western coalition and the King of Jerusalem?

I am willing to donate to an international peace package which could convince the belligerents in the east to stop the fighting. If the Ghorids were to turn back their arms as well, I am sure we could come to some arrangement.

But with armies already deployed in a superior fashion and the war is nearly over... it is doubtful anything short of an international fund dedicated to compensating those at war for laying down their arms will be very effective. That's my idea anyway. I am willing to listen to others.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Surprised by the Turkish comments, the Ayyubid ambassador stands up:

I... do not understand your associations between events in the east and your relation with Jerusalem, brother...

Are the Turks asking for gold from Jerusalem ? I... the Ayyubids...

An assistant whispers in the ambassador's ear. The latter sits down and reads newly arrived scrolls from his Sultan.

Our Sultan officially condemns any Muslim nation who betrays its faith in Allah by launching muderous assaults against their own Muslim brothers.

The Shah has the official support of the Ayyubids in this court.

The Ghaznavids and the Seljuks must stop their assaults at once, in the name of Islam !

The Ayyubids ask the Coalition of Freedom to put every effort in stopping this senseless war.

As for the Ghorids, our Sultan hopes your war will not impede on the eastern trade routes. Already, goods from the east have started to disappear from our markets.
    Last edited by Banzai Kamikaze; 04-21-2008 at 06:28.

Sultan Kaikosru's representative at the court hears the Ayyubid's words, and looks at him incredulously

Surely you are more concerned for the lives of the Hindus than the profits to be gained from trading with them?

As for my association between the events in the east and the ones in the west, it is a simple comparison. Peace has become an option between two hated enemies on the brink of mutual destruction, Rome and Turkey, through the application of monetary payment. Both the Turks and the Latins asked for compensation for peace as well. Perhaps such lessons would apply to our eastern friends... perhaps gold could provide for peace between nations who are starved for resources and lands for their poor citizens... perhaps the wealth of others could provide comfort to those who do not have. Perhaps that can turn an army of hungry and tired men, who desire food and trade, not bloodshed, into an army of peace-loving servants of allah.

One can sit back and condemn the violence until they are blue in the face, but unless one is prepared to offer something more influential in the cause of peace, such as relief aid, reparations, generous gifts towards brothers both Muslim and Hindu... peace may not be attained.

I am prepared to offer something real to the peace negotiations, besides simple protests. Can anyone else offer that? And if so, perhaps we might be able to talk seriously about peace. Anything else is superficial and intended only to make one appear pious and caring, and still safely contribute nothing to the cause of peace.

That is the Turk's position. The Sultan Ayyubid is also a wise and generous man, I know he can appreciate our words. We mean no offense with our disagreement with the Ayyubids on this one issue. I also happen to know that the Sultan Ayyubid has a long history of doing exactly as I propose, helping others achieve peace through negotiation, through generosity rather than naked aggression.

So we honour and respect our brothers in the south, though we appear to have some differences on some issues.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 04-21-2008 at 04:57.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Qiwam glances disdainfully at the Kwarezhm ambassador before speaking.

While I do not feel the GhaZims need to explain our actions as their causes are self evident, but for the benefit of those here who have difficulty discerning them I will.

We join the war against the Shah in support of our comrades the Seljuks and their cause of punishing one who has wronged us as well as them. Aside from a need to pay back wrongs done to us, we also wish to rid ourselves of such a powerful neighbor who sees no wrong in attempting to turn other nations against us.

We join the war against the Ghorids because they have attacked our allies the Rajputs, and for no other reason.

We believe these causes to be both simple and just. We are quite content to let Allah decide the righteousness of our wars. If any are expecting us to implore upon high minded ideals, we must disappoint them as we consider idealism better suited to the students and teachers in Madrassas rather than to politicians and ambassadors.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

wherever the wind takes my (broadband connected) box

wondering whats going on back home, the shahdoms ambassador stands

We thank the turks, ayyubids and the calph for their support in this matter

he takes a momment to bow to their respective parties

however the seljuks have thus far turned down peace terms at every turn, even though they signed a treaty that was supposed to make behavoir like this impossible, they continue their war of expansion against us.

now it appears that ghanzi has joined their war, allow me to refute their excuse for it;
    If we had wronged you in any way, we are sincerly sorry, but quite frankly, we havn't, innocent until proven guilty they say, so unless you provide proof of your claims, this war, will always be illigal in they eye's of islam, and all peoples who care about peace and justice.
    In addition, if someone insults you, you insult them back the momment after, not years later, this suggests that your nation cares more for revenge than honour, even if your outlandish claims were true. As it happens they are not, and it would be rather impossible for us to attempt to drive you to war with the seljuks of late
    Last edited by 00jebus; 04-21-2008 at 18:59.
    WotB: Timarchos Anaias Mysiakes, marching round the arche beating up rebels

LotR: Lisas Attaliedas, currently in reserve

Do not beg for mercy when you reach your demise Qiwam. It is your own fault that you allied to the infidel, there is no uncertainty about who Allah will support. Allies of the infidel are as bad as the infidel themselves and all but the loyal Muslims will fall to the might of Allah's servants, the Ferrets.

The following factions will be spared retribution:
    The Kwarzehm Shah
    The Abbasid Caliphate
    The Ayyubid Sultanate

All others will fall.

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast