Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Court of the Caliph: BC Hotseat Council Thread

Default Re: Court of the Caliph: BC Hotseat Council Thread

A messenger rushes into the court bearing a missive for the Roman ambassador. After reading the letter, the man, visibly surprised, takes center stage.

I… I am to announce to this assembly that there exists…

He gives a quick glance to the crusader delegation.

…there exists a state of war between the Roman Empire and the Frankish Kingdom. It seems that, in the political turbulence that has shaken the Empire as of late, the Despot of Smyrna, Kouropalates Ioannis Vatatzes, has issued orders for our Levantine armies to raid Frankish positions in the Levant. As of the writing of this message, know that Kyprus has fallen and minor raids were conducted on the cities of Tyros, Ake and Joffa.

Turning to the Latins.

I am sorry but such is the way of the world. Maybe when the new Basileos is crowned will another path be found upon which both Rome and Jerusalem can thread, but it seems that Kouropalates Vatatzes is now the supreme commander of our armies and he fears Latin expansions in Aegyptus threaten the stability of the entire Eastern Mediterranean.

Vizier, I will take my leave from your court and return to Rome. Should anything arise, I leave my aid here to discuss any matters of importance between the nations of the world and the Roman People.

With those words, the Roman ambassador leaves the court hurriedly.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Post Re: Court of the Caliph: BC Hotseat Council Thread

After hearing the words of the Roman delegate, the Egyptian ambassador rises to speak.

And so it passes that the Men of the West will be banished again to whence they came. I know that in Egypt, Christian and Muslim brothers alike will unite upon hearing this news. I believe now Allah smiles on us once more; and though we be no longer slaves to any one man, we are forever in servitude to His infinite mercy.

Allah-u-akhbar. We pray for Rome in this time of war.

The man bows to the Roman ambassador's aid before once again taking his seat.

The longest lasting leper ever Member rossahh's Avatar

Rolls his eyes and sighs at the Roman's words. He mutters something about "Romans" and "Idiots".

Should the Caliphate or Turks require any financial aid in their war against the Romans, just ask.

Also, should the Egyptians like to recover the upper Nile through diplomatic means rather than a 10 year slog through bloodshed, just ask also.
    "Okay, here come the cavalry, get your swords out lads!" - the Captain details his orders to the pikemen

The assistant to the Roman ambassador lifts up his head from the scrolls he was reading:

Aaah, perhaps you are not up to date on the latest agreements passed between the Empire and the Moslem princes, but Rome and its neighbors are no longer in a state of war and the recently signed peace is, in all probability, a very solid one.

Still, your condescension is noted.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

The ambassador leans back in his chair

Ahhh, of course. That explains it.

As you are finished with the Moslems, your armies are bored so you attack your only friend and ally, the same nation who saved your empire against the Rum Turks.

Now it makes much more sense.
    "Okay, here come the cavalry, get your swords out lads!" - the Captain details his orders to the pikemen

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

The Vizier smirks openly.

And so it comes to pass that the Christians turn on one another..

I wonder, does the leprous 'King' Baldwin now regret that he scorned the Caliph's protection?

With a sneer, he turns to the Roman delegation and adopts a more humble demeanor.

Sirs, the Caliph is greatly concerned at the Roman incursion into the Levant, a domain he feels is squarely within his sphere of influence.

Under the auspices of our recently negotiated peace, he respectfully requests of the Basileos that his chastisement of the former Protectorate of Acre is limited to securing an equitable peace between Baldwin and the new rulers of Egypt.

A land grab will not be viewed positively - neither will a permanent Roman presence in the region.
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Perhaps, there needs to be some discussion amongst us as to how to divide the Holy Lands? My king has already informed me that he himself does not wish to possess any of the lands there, viewing them as too dangerous for our young empire to attempt to hold onto.

War with Franks may demand we pursue them into these lands, but we will be most happy to sell them to either party based on the agreements made, after the war. The money will be used to rebuild Egypt and the partitioning of the lands will help to insure future peace between our respective empires.

Is this satisfactory, brothers? If so, then please discuss it between yourselves and let your humble servant know so that I may draw up the maps.

The remaining Roman shifts uneasily on his seat.

I am not instructed as to Rome's final objectives in the Holy Lands, but is it not too early to talk about territorial division? Rome's forces have only made a slight foray in the Levant, perhaps this row will be resolved diplomatically should King Baldwin, the Mamluk Sultan of Aegyptus and the new Basileos all come to terms.

I understand. And I know you cannot speak for your master who is away right now. But please inform him of my offer and we will see where the wind takes us.

As for peace with the Leper King... this will never happen.

A messenger dressed in royal blue arrives at the court. He draws a few curious glances with his bright and clean clothing, quite the opposite to the usual messengers from the Kingdom. He hands the message to the ambassador, who reads it impassively before addressing the court

Our condolences to the families of the Mamluk King and Prince, who died in the third fall of Cairo. I believe an African of the name of Marsal has seized control of the former Egyptian-Ayyubid-Mamluk throne in Dongola. The armies of the Mamluks to the south of the Cairo have been exterminated, with over 2000 men falling compared to a mere hundred of ours. Cairo has been peacefull occupied by the King and we are open to hearing any offers of peace the new Mamluk ruler has.

The towns lost to the Romans last season were retaken. A Roman fleet containing nearly 1000 elite infantry was sunk and it's precious soldiers sent to the bottom of the Mediterranian sea. Your demands for peace are rejected - we will not surrender Egypt or Syria to you.

I am also instructed to warn the Omanis that a return to your fort at the Aqaba border will be seen as an overtly hostile action. The Gulf of Aqaba is not your concern.

This was expected, but not unplanned for. Togrul al-Avidan knew what he was doing when he entered into al-Qahira. But we wish to correct you in that you killed the former Sultan's bodyguard, not the Mamluk King. These men were left masterless after the death of the former Sultan and served as an elite Khassaki unit.

We grieve for the loss of our men and of al-Qahira, but we told you this would be a war of attrition. Cities mean nothing in this game but as sources of income. You are surrounded on all sides by enemies and your cities are all quite vulnerable to them. Do you follow us into the heart of Africa and lose the Holy Lands? Or do you guard the paths your Christ tread on from the Romans, and allow us to always come back into Egypt?

You will see our reply soon...
    Last edited by Quirl; 05-07-2009 at 16:06.

The roman scribe looks in surprise at the Latin diplomat.

A thousand elite infantry? My, my... had Rome had such a force present in the Levant, Jerusalem would've been ours. You probably speak of the remnants of the armies that defeated the Moslem forces in Kilikia and at Antiochia. A little under 300 varanginoi mercenaries at best. But worry not, Roman forces are numerous and very replaceable.

Following the death of the Caliph, a period of turmoil descended upon Baghdad and the Court. The Vizier Marshed disappeared, and wild rumours circulated about a possible challenge to the succession of the Crown Prince Abu-Bakr, about whom it was whispered that he should not be eligible due to his adopted status.

In the event the feared uprising did not materialise and, following the grand state funeral of the late Caliph An-Nasir, an orderly coronation was held at the Grand Mosque confirming Abu-Bakr as the Caliph of all Islam.

The day after the coronation, the new Caliph appears at Court flanked by the Royal Ghulam Guard in full regalia, and accompanied by a new Vizier, much younger than Marshed.

After a grand fanfare and an arcane religious ceremony conducted by a slew of Imans, Caliph Abu-Bakr rises to address the Court.

Lords and dignitaries of all the nations of the World, I greet you today as Caliph of all Islam.

My predecessor (may Allah grant him the bounties of paradise for eternity) achieved much in his too-short life, and I intend to follow his example in diplomacy and religion.

You are welcome at my Court, regardless of what war and conflict occur between your nations, as was always the way of great An-Nasir.

In terms of our diplomatic relations with other nations, I would like first of all to confirm our grand alliance with our most treasured neighbours the Seljuks (may their arrows ever fly swift and true), and with our more distant cousins the Ghaznavids.

I will also at this stage recognise the bonds of friendship in place with our Hindoo cousins the Rajputs, and thank them for their support of our previous Caliph's jihad.

We must, however, remain neutral in their dispute with their vassal and our erstwhile ally the Ghorids, although we would urge the Ghorids to come to a peaceful settlement and avoid further unnecessary bloodshed.

To the Omanis, although your faith be different to ours, we remain your allies and friends.

To the rulers of Egypt, we wish you Allah's luck and strength in your struggle to defend your homelands against the Franks. The Caliphate has long been your friend, and will remain so.

Our previous Caliph signed a peace with both the Romans and the Franks, and we will honour it, and remain neutral in their dispute. We appeal for their clemency with regard to the innocent of the ummah caught up in their war.

Allah u-akhbar!
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 05-08-2009 at 01:29.

Alas that the mighty An-Nasir is dead!

Long ago he was a good friend of Jerusalem when the Christians and Muslims could be friends, and he helped the Kingdom bring about the end of the great Anatolian evil (while the Romans dithered). Despite his later actions tarnishing the friendship of the Kingdom and Caliphate, the Caliph was always respected by the men of the Kingdom.

And now it seems that of the original four great reigns of the west, only the Kingdom and Baldwin remain. Who would have thought that out of the mighty western rulers - Saladdin, Alexios, An-Nasir and Baldwin - it would be the King who endures? The Empire and Sultanate are debauched shadows of their former honour and glory, so let us hope the Caliphate will survive the great loss it has suffered.

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

The Rajput diplomat rises once more to address the chamber,

It is my duty to be the bearer of ill news, as the pace of province trades has slacked in the war to reclaim India. The Ghorids took only a single province, Kutch, and surrendered only two, Peshawar and Mitankot. A raid was conducted against Pindi which reportedly cost the lives of 800 Ghorid warriors but failed to capture the city from the remaining 1100. Also the siege of Mansura has been thrown off as brave Bhlimev Khadev (OOC: I'm sure that's spelled wrong), fleet footed explorer of the west, returns with an army of mercenaries to slaughter the foul enemy seeking to claim that fair city. None of the besiegers were allowed to escape their siegeworks.

If the Sultan of Ghor has any mercy in his heart he will lower taxes on his remaining peasantry as he now has far fewer soldiers to feed. A peace offering is being presented even as I speak. Simply put if all of India is returned to the rightful rule of Indians then the nation of Ghor will be permitted to remain in control of Kabul. We eagerly await your response.

With a deep bow to the Caliph the emissary of the Rajputs resumes his seat.

OOC P.S. I have a feeling about half a stack of troops have gone missing from what I saw last season, but my spies couldn't find them (This is why I hit Pindi even though I couldn't take it) so my diplomat might not be quite so smug next year.

The Avidid ambassador rises to address the Rajput dignitary

We are both pleased and saddened by your reports noble friend and ally. We are naturally elated by the successes of the wise Hindus, but our hearts go out to those Muslims slaughtered by your swords. (OOC: and especially those crushed by your elephants, ‘cos that’s just no way to go. ) We pray for some future resolution between your two parties.

The dignitary turns to the general court.

I have just received word that al-Qahira is back under Muslim control.

His eyes roll steadily to the frank.

I wonder, Crusader, how long you can keep up this game with us? Especially now with the death of that serpent of the devil, the blasphemous king Baldwin. That fort outside of our great capital which your king sought to hide in was put to the spears of our holy warriors. Though the fort did not fall, Baldwin did.

His eyes fix again on the general court.

May the purging of the evil King Baldwin herald a good reign for the new Caliph, which we pledge our devotion and friendship to, as we did with his predecessor. Long live Islam.

He takes his seat again, returning to his quiet demeanor.

The Roman scribe chuckles softly at the news of Baldwin's death. When inquisitive eyes turn towards him, he simply smiles and answers:

Not so long ago the Crusaders prided themselves in the survival of their King who had outlived so many great rulers even though illness gnawned at his earthly body. But in the end, only Megas Manuelos died peacefully among his loved ones, having recommended his soul to God. Salah al-Din and Baldwin suffered the fate of the proud who think their haughty court-room antics will save them from the swords of their foes and overeagerly sought battle only to be cast down in the cold earth while the great Caliph An-Nasir, after having lost his son to the traitor Nevoulos' soldiers, endured a slow and crippling death through the plague that chastened those who brought war upon the West. In the end, off all the mighty rulers of the Levant, only one saw his life crowned with success. And now, though Megas Manuelos' firstborn, Alexios, suffered too from the treacherous machinations of Nevoulos who threw him in harm's way, his second son, Artemios rises to lead Rome to new heights of glory. The Komnenoi live on while all who oppose them meet their ends. Is it not a sign as to whom God favours in this world?

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

In a bemused, reflective tone the emissary of the Rajputs replies,

This curious obsession with the length of one's span, and the manner of one's death is, to me, by far the most interesting thing about living so far from true civilization. Truly do you imagine your god favors you by gifting your kings more days or peaceful ends? Our gods have arranged that we return, time and again, until we are perfected and prepared to take our place among them. Surely if we can agree on nothing else we can agree that no single life carries on so long that it finds perfection within reach?

So, ask your god not for more days in this life, but for more chances in the next! The Maharaja who ruled the Rajput people when I first reached this council died in battle against simple rebels (OOC: Curse the 1 hp bug!) and has surely already been reborn in his next appointed form. Of all who have ruled he alone is still with us, and, barring the forgiveably unlikely achievement of perfection, will remain among his people long after all of you are gone.

Perhaps this is why the leaders of India so often give their lives in battle for her, because they know well the rewards of that service and fear not to hasten into their next life. Truly are the men of Rajput blessed to live in the greatest of nations under the most glorious gods over and over again until all their blessings have carried them to nirvana.

For the Muslims who have fallen, under our arrows, blades, javelins, and elephants I can find little pity for they began this war by betraying, yet again, their sworn word. A people who will not deal in good faith will not long abide. Rest assured if no Hindu blood remained to sate their appetite they would quickly turn on their own.

The Roman does not even bother to turn towards the Hindu:

Pfeh, I doubt many people in this court would take advice from a Hindu on matters of religion. Monkey worhippers the lot of you.

The emissary of the Rajputs opens his mouth to answer the scribe but is cut short by the arrival of a new Roman ambassador. The man is dressed the ceremonial bronze muscle-cuirass common in the heydays of the Empire, a crimson cloak flowing from his shoulders. He gives a curt bow to the vizier before adressing the court:

Your eminences, I bring news from the glorious city of Konstantinopolis. Kaesar Artemios condemns the unprovoked attacks of Ioannis Vatatzes on the Kingdom of the Crusaders, but in the face of the Franks' obvious bellicose intentions, he sees no alternative but to pursue the fight until they yield to Rome's justice.

The attack of German crusaders on the cities of Smyrna and Nikaea were repulsed. Artemios Komnenos himself led the charge that scattered the Swabians encircling Nikaea while Kouropalates Ioannis Vatatzes achieved a heroic victory at the battle of Smyrna. Frederick von Swabia and his men have been made an example of. There remains a German army threatening Konstantinopolis itself though, but patrols have been stepped up to insure that spies and saboteurs do not crippled its powerful defenses from the inside. Every Roman's prayers are with the citizens of the capital.

In the Levant, the great strategos Romanus Sophianos has once more led a raid on the coastal settlements of Tyros and Akke while more Roman forces muster for a push inside the Crusaders' lands. God willing, Syria and Judea will soon be back under the benevolent rule of the Empire.

Turning towards the ambassador from the Kingdom:

If you wish to settle for peace, Frank, you can propose your terms, but know that your position is a very precarious one and our patience is not infinite.

The new Vizier rises to address the Court for the first time. He is slim and tall, with dark sunken eyes, a twisted moustache and a cruelly pointed black beard. His movements are diffident and his voice is higher in pitch than is perhaps seemly for a man. He turns to the Roman and Latin emissaries with a smile.

Sirs, why this is very interesting indeed - would it be unseemly of me to ask of you that you share with us some further detail of this news?

Have the Latins received reinforcements from their homelands in Europe? And have these reinforcements, instead of journeying to the Levant to battle with the so-called 'Saracen hordes', instead descended upon their co-religionists at Istanbul?

How deliciously ironic if so...doubly, in fact, if it is considered that they arrive just a little too late to aid their compatriot the late King Baldwin..
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 05-21-2009 at 04:00.

Taking his seat besides the Roman scribe, the new ambassador gives a bored smile to the vizier:

How coy. I do not doubt the news gladdens a lot of Moslems and not least among them the Abbasid Court who was so completely shamed by both Roman and Catholic arms.

He yawns.

But yes, if you must know, it seems German crusaders have come to the aid of their Frankish brethren. Unfortunetaly for most of them, it seems that they're long journey has been cut short. And so have their lives. If their remaining army has any sense, it will retreat rather then push fort towards Konstantinopolis. The city is at risk, but Romans know the price of victory is steep and paid in blood. We have no doubt that these new Crusaders as well as those in the Kingdom will soon expiate their sins before God.

In the meantime, our forces continue their march on Holy Hierosolyma.
    Last edited by Redemption; 05-21-2009 at 04:37.

The Vizier gazes into the middle distance for a moment as if in fascination at the news. He idly twirls his moustache with a black-lacquered fingernail before turning to the Roman with a start.

Well sir, how wonderful it must be to be the Basileos of Istanbul, and to have so many armies that one can fight continually on so many fronts!

I dread to think what we might do here should an army of bloodthirsy crusaders suddenly appear on our very doorstep...I simply shudder at the thought!

The Basileos must be comfortable indeed to be so assured of victory that he pushes on valiantly to claim far-off Jerusalem while his Palace itself is threatened....comfortable indeed, hmm hmmm..

He sits down at his desk with a flourish and begins to intently study a map of the world while ostentatiously making calculations on an abacus, clicking beads back and forth hurriedly, his brow furrowed in concentration.

The ambassador answers with mock surprise:

Far off? I see Abbasid ambitions have lessened since the passing of An-Nasir. Or maybe it is a result of the armies you squandered in Anatolia?

Whatever the case may be, I must correct you. No man sits on the throne of the Basileos. At least until such a time as Kaesar Artemios can be crowned. But fear not, this will happen shortly.
    Last edited by Redemption; 05-21-2009 at 05:42.

The Vizier giggles behind an embroidered sleeve at the evident misunderstanding.

No sir, by 'far-off' I meant from Istanbul, not from Baghdad (although I am told it is still some prodigious walk from here to the Dome on the Rock!).

But nevermind, at any rate I trust our 'ambitions' as you put it will be hardly relevant to the Caesar, Basileos or whomever is currently running our great trading partner the Roman Empire.....at the very least while you deal with the immediate challenges posed by your surprising invasion of your Latin ally's heartlands....

The Egyptian diplomat shifts uncomfortably in his chair at the exchanges of the Romans, the Hindus, and now this new vizier.

A fly lands on the table in front of him. He swats at it, creating an awkward "THUD!" that echoes in the court. Afterward, his hand retreats shamefully under the table—wiping the carcass off on the leg of his chair.

Close by, the man in black watched. He liked this new vizier...

There is a moment of silence where the eyes of all the emissaries and courtiers turn towards the Egyptian diiplomat. The man returns the level gaze for which he is usually known in the Court. The air in the Court is heavy with understatement. When the Roman ambassador speaks again, his voice sounds like a thunderclap calling back everyone to reality:

Do not think us fools, Vizier. The venom in your words is clear to all, however sweet you try to make it. Jealousy and spite are dangerous. They lead men and empires on the path of destruction. Mark my words, vizier.

The ambassador's eyes fly over the other diplomats and emissaries, fixing themselves ever slightly on the men from Egypt and Rayy.

All of you, mark my words.

At this, the Vizier looks genuinely horrified - all the colour slowly drains from his face as he stares at the Roman delegation, before he springs to his feet and bows so deeply in front of their table that it appears certain that he will lose his balance and tip over onto the floor, but at the last minute an extravagant flourish of his arm seems to right him, and he rises once more to address them.

Sirs, I am aghast. You must think me terribly rude, terribly rude indeed. I certainly meant no offense, I was simply intrigued and a little..well, a little scandalised at the news, but of course I have been most insensitive.

My deepest apologies to you kind sirs, for my deeply crass and unfeeling behaviour, and of course our best wishes and dearest regards go out to the inhabitants of Istanbul at this most testing time....

He bows deeply once more and, this time without rising, slowly backs away across the courtroom floor to his seat, into which he sinks without further comment.
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 05-21-2009 at 12:55.

OOC Sidenote:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    So, I was surfing the internet the other day. Does this freak anyone else out?

Last edited by Quirl; 12-18-2009 at 11:29.

OOC: Lol @ Ghorid Vader

Did you make that Quirl? It only freaks me out if you found it somewhere randomly...
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 05-22-2009 at 04:16.

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526 LastLast