Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Averni in Ankyra WTF?!?!?!?

Devout worshipper of Bilious Member miotas's Avatar

Default Averni in Ankyra WTF?!?!?!?

G'day,
    new to eb and i had to sign up to the forums simply to say WTF?!?!?!?
    how are the averni all the way over in seleukia territory?
    i recieved a message at the beginning of a turn saying that averni and arche seleukia were at war, wondering how on earth this was possible i put in the fow cheat and there they are sitting in ankyra
    WTF?!?!?!?!?!?

- Four Horsemen of the Presence

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Default Re: Averni in Ankyra WTF?!?!?!?

Google Galations.

Rampant psychopath Member Olaf Blackeyes's Avatar

Galatians revolt to Averni a LOT in EB

My own personal SLAVE BAND (insert super evil laugh here)
    My balloons:
    My AAR The Story of Souls: A Sweboz AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=109013

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    You're fighting against the AI... how do you NOT win?

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

They're the faction it's assigned to revolt to. Often helps them against the Aedui just by providing money. They never really do anything with Anatolia, though.
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    Google Galations.
    cheers, makes sense now
    just seemed a bit strange seeing the averni jump halfway across the map.
    conquering the end of the earth and nothing in between

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

well in 1.1 some time ago, they got booted out of gaul by the aedui....so they decided to plague asia minor...

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeek2 View Post
    They're the faction it's assigned to revolt to. Often helps them against the Aedui just by providing money. They never really do anything with Anatolia, though.
    In some of my previous campaigns they actually were responsible for the demise of the Arverni state. Arverni were fighting 2 desperate wars against Aedui and the Sweboz and in Ankira they had a full stack army that was sitting there useless and draining money.

Noobs in Forum WTF?!?!?!?!?
    Likstrandens ormar som spyr blod och etter, Ni som blint trampar Draugs harg
    På knä I Eljudne mottag död mans dom, Mot död och helsvite, ert öde och pinoplats

hey whats wrong with noobs

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Averni in Ankyra WTF?!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by miotas View Post
    cheers, makes sense now
    just seemed a bit strange seeing the averni jump halfway across the map.
    conquering the end of the earth and nothing in between
    Well, it doesn't entirely make sense, since the Galatians would have had next to no contact with Gaul. They were entirely independent. IIRC they weren't Gauls anyway, but migrant Celts from middle Europe. However, every city must have "founder faction" and a "faction owner" that determine their culture. Since Galatia is Celtic, these had to be set to one of the Celtic factions, no matter how far they might be.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

hey whats wrong with noobs
    Don't get angry or feel unwelcome. The real nuisance are those people who behave like they have all the wisdom in the world...
    Read about glory and decline of the Seleucid Empire... (EB 1.1 AAR)

from Satalexton from I of the Storm from Vasiliyi

Vicious Celt Warlord Member Celtic_Punk's Avatar

Yeah thats the problem with the Operation Flashpoint community. They are total jackasses and elitests. They expect everysingle person to understand how to install everything perfectly, and make their own shortcuts and what not. As a simple question, you get snooted at. I hope this kind of thing is stopped. New players should be welcomed and advice should be given. I think the hostility is because they are afraid that new guy will be better than they.
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS
    "The republic stands for truth and honour. For all that is noblest in our race. By truth and honour, principle and sacrifice alone will Ireland be free."-Liam Mellows

Who knows? If it's a enough day we may all end up Generals!"

no worries about that here. im a terrible military commander, i dont do to badly with infantry but dont let me anywhere near those eastern factions, me + horses = a good day for the glue factory

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

nah dun worry, just run away...an enemy who runs away will come back to fight another day =D

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    Well, it doesn't entirely make sense, since the Galatians would have had next to no contact with Gaul. They were entirely independent. IIRC they weren't Gauls anyway, but migrant Celts from middle Europe. However, every city must have "founder faction" and a "faction owner" that determine their culture. Since Galatia is Celtic, these had to be set to one of the Celtic factions, no matter how far they might be.
    Good post. It reminds me of one single incident where contacts is apparently made, or at least implied, between southern Gauls and Galatians. The Greek colony of Massalia asked their Celtic neighbors (probably asked the Volcae Arecomici or Volcae Tectosages) to contact the Galatians and ask them not to attack the town of Lampsacos, in western Asia Minor. I say it was the Volcae Arecomici or Volcae Tectosages because:

- Both tribes are located near Massalia
    - Galatia had a Tectosages tribe as well

Here some useful stuff. This is where Lampsacos is located:

And heres where Massalia and the aforementioned tribes are located

Quite a long trip to send a message. The Massalians would not have asked the Gauls to undertake this long trip if there was no known feeling of brotherhood existing between the Celts and the related tribes wherever they traveled. Great stuff

if you play as the averni do you get the town as well or does that only happen with the ai and has anyone managed to keep it if they do get it?

Blog Entries

if you play as the averni do you get the town as well or does that only happen with the ai and has anyone managed to keep it if they do get it?
    The player can get it as well, although it's not guaranteed. It tends to be a headache to maintain it though, since the garrison will cost you a fortune and Galatia doesn't bring much trade in.

Vicious Celt Warlord Member Celtic_Punk's Avatar

Its nice to have as a mini Galatian faction tho!

"nah dun worry, just run away...an enemy who runs away will come back to fight another day =D"- Saxelton

Coward!
    Last edited by Celtic_Punk; 12-14-2008 at 15:17.
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS
    "The republic stands for truth and honour. For all that is noblest in our race. By truth and honour, principle and sacrifice alone will Ireland be free."-Liam Mellows

Who knows? If it's a enough day we may all end up Generals!"

is it just me or does this mostly happen at the same moment(well short before^^) the averni are defeated in gaul? at least that was what happend in my campaign.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

gday
    in my game they are down to their last settlement, ive been giving them money to try and keep the war going but it looks like they're pretty much beat. im playing as romani and im busy fighting karthadast so i dont exactly want a unified gaul to worry about. oh well looks like ill have to train up another leigon or 2

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

How would you keep Galatia anyway? The distance to the capital penalty must be huge. Ludens was also right that it is going to be a money drain with a huge expensive garrison and plus no trade. Not only that, but the faction it rebelled from will now be your enemy. Does the settlement ever rebel to Aedui? Or does it only do that when the Arverni are destroyed?

BTW, misspelling there. There is an "r" between the "A" and "v".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Putt View Post
    is it just me or does this mostly happen at the same moment(well short before^^) the averni are defeated in gaul? at least that was what happend in my campaign.
    No. Must be a coincidence. Ankyra turning to Arverni depends on a faction conquering it and then letting public order slip to low values.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemilius Paulus View Post
    Does the settlement ever rebel to Aedui? Or does it only do that when the Arverni are destroyed?
    IIRC the faction to which is rebels is determined by the "faction" of governor's residence. In rebel towns, this is determined by the founder faction and owner faction settings. IIRC for Galatia these are Arverni and Aedui respectively. So at the start, the town will rebel to the Arverni (provided they are still present and the conqueror did not upgrade the governor's residence: in those cases the town goes to the Eleutheroi). However, if the town remains rebel it may upgrade the governor's residence itself. If that happens, and the town is conquered, it will rebel to the Aedui (also provided they are still alive and the conqueror has not upgraded the governor's residence again).

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    conqueror has not upgraded the governor's residence again).
    So that would prevent it from rebelling to anyone but Eleutheroi? Simply upgrading the governor's residence?

I deleted off-topic posts. Please keep thread on topic.
    Last edited by Foot; 12-14-2008 at 18:18.
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

I've learned a lot about history from EB. EB unleashed a burning desire within me. A burning desire to learn about the ancient world properly, and not just from biased sources that tell us that the Romans were amazing, wonderful and all-good, and everybody else were cultureless barbarians worth less than the dirt they walked on.

During these studies i learned something that will be useful to you, since you obviously don't know. Which isn't a bad thing, i never would have known about this if it weren't for EB... But here it is.

At some point in history a bunch of Gauls went on vacation to that general area (Ankyra). Long story short, they liked it so much they decided not to go back to Gaul.

By "a bunch of Gauls" i mean a fairly large horde, and instead of passports they had swords.

yeah this game is great, constantly learning new things about this fascinating period. one of the things i find most amazing is how the inventors of soap gained a reputation as unwashed hordes, i suppose its an example of the winners writing the history books.

and thanks to the eb team, ive always had a bit an interest in history so what better way to spend my time then playing a game that teaches about it and is great fun to boot.

cheers

EB is... an interactive history book.

I swear before i played EB i had the most ignorant view of ancient "barbarian" peoples. Roman propaganda was so potent and effective that it is still very much alive even 1,500 years after the fall of the city itself.

Before i played this game, you could have asked me what i knew about the Gauls. I could have told you that they were a vile swarm of smelly, cultureless, lawless animals functioning on little more than pack mentality. Destructive, horrible people that wanted to kill and burn everything around them. Unable to be reasoned with and worth nothing.

You could have asked me why Rome conquered them and i would have told you that they probably did it to procure their own safety from these vile people who were a danger and a plague to the great and wonderful people of Rome.

Now, i know that isn't the case. But even now when i play as, say, the Aedui or Averni, i feel wrong playing them, whereas when i play as Rome i feel a sort of pride when i defeat a barbarian army or conquer their cities.

The Romans were the masters of a great many things, but none moreso than their propaganda.
    Last edited by Dayve; 12-15-2008 at 06:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    Now, i know that isn't the case. But even now when i play as, say, the Aedui or Averni, i feel wrong playing them, whereas when i play as Rome i feel a sort of pride when i defeat a barbarian army or conquer their cities.

The Romans were the masters of a great many things, but none moreso than their propaganda.
    That's true for me too. I feel like doing a good thing when I play as Romans and try to conquer the world. I felt a bit uncomfortable when I played as Carth Hadasht and took Rome, like playing as a bad guy in some RPG. Now, I have no trouble playing as Macedonia and annihilating KH, I had no problems playing as KH and destroying Macedonia. Even when I play as Macs now and see their victory conditions I say "Damn, I'll have to crush Rome". I don't know why, but Rome has a special place for me.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

I quite enjoy fighting against my favourite factions, I find it helps you gain a better understanding of their unit's strengths and weaknesses. For example, before I tried an Epirote campaign I never made use of Rorarii except as skirmishers. Then when I fought against them I realised they can actually hold a line pretty well. I think they are probably my favourite denari for denari unit in the game now.
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 12-15-2008 at 21:12.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    I quite enjoy fighting against my favourite factions, I find it helps you gain a better understanding of their unit's strengths and weaknesses.
    thats interesting, i might try that, i have a casse campaign i was playing before i started my roman one but i never got to the stage of fighting rome, i might jump back in and take on rome.

just on the rorarii, i usually use then to flank or to take a trek through the back streets to hit an enemy from behind as the can put in a pretty good account of themselves but they are lighter than other roman infantry so they dont get tired on the way there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast