Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking Elite Phalanx units - how?

Default Breaking Elite Phalanx units - how?

Hello all,

Been playing EB1.2 alot as Romani on hardest levels, been up against alot of elite Greek/Makedonian Phalanx type units, they never seem to break even when totally surrounded and outnumbered. Any fellow armchair generals have suggestions? Do people always have some scary units to hand?

Be nice to hear how other Romani generals deal with the phalanx in general. Only useful tactic I have found is to engage front on then in the back with a second unit, then withdrawing the frontal unit (they get badly mauled otherwise), which often seems to cause disorder in the phalanx, but they still never break!

That's "Chopper" to you, bub. Member DaciaJC's Avatar

Default Re: Breaking Elite Phalanx units - how?

Apparently, there is an exploit that could help in your case. Have a unit in front of the phalanx selected, and then right-click once behind the phalanx. Your unit will, for the most part, disregard the pointy sarissas and simply walk through them until reaching the men holding them. Another unit charging from the back might cause a bit of chaos in their ranks.

You said you're playing on VH/VH? I hope you know that at VH battle difficulty, the AI gets an enormous boost in some stats, including morale. I doubt that elite units would ever break in those conditions.
    Last edited by DaciaJC; 04-20-2009 at 23:50.
    + =

3x for this, this, and this

I always play on VH battles. I like the fact it can go horribly wrong, bit like Crassus losing his head.

You're doing all you can. In VH sometimes it's just not enough.

Influence:

Compare Pydna description. Agema fought to last man... in VH they sword attack with almost double strength and morale isincresaed by 1/3 from already high levels.

EB ship system destroyer and Makedonia FC

harder battles in form of VH are not better. I used to play till a few months ago, because i thought the AI can have any boost it can. But once u fight things like phalanxes and horse archers on VH, you see why medium is prefered
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

just use the thracian elites, they cut the falanx down as if it wasn't there

Thumbs up Re: Breaking Elite Phalanx units - how?

Quote Originally Posted by Molinaargh View Post
    You're doing all you can. In VH, sometimes it's just not enough.
    Hey guys, try being all serious and say this out loud. It sounds so cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    Hey guys, try being all serious and say this out loud. It sounds so cool.
    It's true...I've been using a clint eastwood esque voice while I say that line. Sounds intense.

As far as elites phalanxes go I've got 2 methods. I tempt them away with a disposible calvalry group taking them out of the main battle and exhausting them or I'll evade and deal with them last. Moral is waaay too high on VH to break their will.
    The warriors of Greece don't sleep...they wait for next battle.

Blog Entries

The Phalanx exploit with cklicking behind the Phalanx might be a good choice at Medium, but only with good armoured atack units. Thats why I dont see it as an exploit. Levis getting slaughtered anyway, but on VH even elite getting slaughtered....

Quote Originally Posted by seienchin View Post
    The Phalanx exploit with cklicking behind the Phalanx might be a good choice at Medium, but only with good armoured atack units. Thats why I dont see it as an exploit. Levis getting slaughtered anyway, but on VH even elite getting slaughtered....
    Now if only Darius had been smart enough to do that with his Greek hoplite mercenaries :)

Bruadair a'Bruaisan Member cmacq's Avatar
    Where on this beige, brown, and olive-drab everything will stick, sting, bite, and/or eat you; most rickety-tick.

One of many ways...

First kill the enemy leader or sweep him from the field. Then use your medium foot as the horns of the bull to attack their flankers and drive them from protecting the enemy heavy foot. This will force the heavy foot in the center to turn on your medium foot. As they do, use fire arrows from bowmen placed in your center to pepper the exposed parts of the Phalanx. Then rush in your light foot in the center to pin the rear of the Phalanx, while your medium foot retreats away from their continued advance. As the Phalanx begins to pull apart, slam into its exposed flank with your horse. Timing is everything as games over with very little lose.

CmacQ
    Last edited by cmacq; 04-21-2009 at 07:34.
    quae res et cibi genere et cotidiana exercitatione et libertate vitae

Herein events and rations daily birth the labors of freedom.

If you encounter a phalanx without flank protection, you can set an armored heavy infantry unit to loose formation, then let them to charge. Your line will be wider than the phalanx and your unit will outflank the enemy from two sides, butchering them to hell, while you will lose only the guys infront of the sarissas. Of course it's quite hard to lure the phalanx away from the others, but it's possible. Sadly this doesn't work against multiple foe if the AI holds it's battle line together.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Finished essays: The Italian Wars (1494-1559), The siege of Buda (1686), The history of Boius tribe in the Carpathian Basin, Hungarian regiments' participation in the Austro-Prussian-Italian War in 1866, The Mithridatic Wars, Xenophon's Anabasis, The Carthagian colonization
    Skipped essays: Serbian migration into the Kingdom of Hungary in the 18th century, The Order of Saint John in the Kingdom of Hungary

phalanx? lol..
    give me a sword unit and i break it.
    mobility is important and sword is better than spear.
    Proud Roman General

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aulus Caecina Severus View Post
    phalanx? lol..
    give me a sword unit and i break it.
    mobility is important and sword is better than spear.
    Unfortunatly spears are really strong and the phalangitai have sowrds too. Especialy on VH its not that easy.
    Anyway the best way to kill phalangitai for me was with a lot of light skirmisher cavallery. First tear single units out of the line than fire and mass charge them and so on.

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

Pin down and charge in the back with:
    - Equites Extraordinarii (or other lance cavalry like Thessalian or Thracian)
    - Pedites Extraordinarii
    - Legionairs
    - Wild men
    - Axe men
    - Falx men
    - If you manage to get elephants they might work..
    - Throwing Pila in the back or firing other missiles in the back

Good Luck
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

I prefer to have 10 phalanx in front than 10 Cretan archers.
    Phalanx, I repeat, is effective only against stationary opponents.
    Proud Roman General

Blog Entries

Again Phalanx on VH is tough. And try to fight a full stack on Huge and get around the phalangitai

Anyway I had a battle against the Ptolli Leader today and my goodness. His Pezhethairoi pinned in the flanks and front charged from the rear by 3 Hetairoi didnt even change to shaken. He had 10 stars and +2 Morale for all units from his trait. His Phalangitai all fight into death

iudex thervingiorum Member athanaric's Avatar

Get tons of falxmen and/or axemen. Even the cheap ones can do the job, provided they are numerous enough. AP weapons are just necessary vs Hellenistic elites. Of the former, clubs have 0.14 lethality, axes and maces have 0.165, falxes 0.26 and some elites like Thraikioi Rhomphaiaphoroi have 0.285.
    Falcata and Kopis swords have a very low lethality (0.1 to 0.11), so despite their AP attribute these weapons (employed by the already mentioned Hetairoi or Pedites Extraordinarii) are, vs. armour, not as effective as axes IMO.

Try to get some Worgoz mercenaries (if they are available for non-Germanic factions, that is). These guys have a very rare combination of AP melee weapon and "frighten infantry" attribute.

Swêboz guide for EB 1.2
    Tips and Tricks for New Players
    from Hannibal Khan the Great, Brennus, Tellos Athenaios, and Winsington III.

Thanks all for the tips, I have tried most of them and found the falx mercs (bastanae) in the back to be most effective, though I also use some light cavalry to take some enemy elite units on a battlefield tour when theres alot of them. Only problem right now is a shortage of mercs ie bastanae and the wild men.

I cant wait to get the Thraikioi Rhomphaiaphoroi, think I will need them them for AS.

Dont know what a worgoz merc is, tho im curious now...

Quote Originally Posted by Pointed Sticks View Post

Recruitable in Suebi lands...

I am honoured to have been presented with my first baloons - - by Ibrahim for tactical observations
    and with my second balloon by Christopher Burgoyne for physical elaboration on the advantages conferred by the Kontos over the Xyston.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointed Sticks View Post
    If you have a spare Family Member or General, and you don't mind him starving/taking ages to get there and back, send him up on a tour of the german provinces and you should find the Worgozez lurking around somewhere - quite good for breaking phalanx units as they not only have javelins and an axe, they also frighten infantry

They also look cool too:

edit: Gah! Nachtmeister beat me to it!
    Last edited by Elcmar; 04-23-2009 at 20:09.

Diairei kai basileue

Age. Fac ut gaudeam.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seleukus View Post
    Now if only Darius had been smart enough to do that with his Greek hoplite mercenaries :)
    They almost did after the phalanx stalled out on rough terrain. Greek hoplites managed to really mess up phalanxes more than once.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Quote Originally Posted by O'ETAIPOS View Post
    Compare Pydna description. Agema fought to last man... in VH they sword attack with almost double strength and morale isincresaed by 1/3 from already high levels.
    Pydna:
    25000 Macedonian vs 1000 Roman casualties.
    Romans fought outnumbered.

Phalanxes severely overpowered in EB.
    OMG I haz a balloon,
    -awarded by chairman

Whatever you do kill the general first! As long as he's alive it's impossible to break them. They'll fight down to the last man.

Bibi

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Banzai! View Post
    Pydna:

After playing in the RvG Tournement, I would have to say that the phalanx isn't really all that OP(except to javelins). The engine's modelling of the phalanx is just really ridiculous.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Pydna:

Perseus seems to have totally screwed up in that battle, as his main cavalry strike force apparently never engaged and instead quit the field, and the phalanx was allowed to push the Romans into rough terrain where its line got disjointed. Not only did this result in the usual "internal flanking" of the sub-units, but the Romans were also able to defeat the Mac left wing and turn their flank.

That the isolated phalangites got butchered either there or during the pursuit is pretty much a foregone conclusion.
    Last edited by Watchman; 04-26-2009 at 19:34.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Blog Entries

Pydna:

You believe the numbers of the battle of Pydna??
    I doubt that any number of a antik battle is right. Especially the battles the roman won...

Quote Originally Posted by seienchin View Post
    You believe the numbers of the battle of Pydna??
    I doubt that any number of a antik battle is right. Especially the battles the roman won...
    Yeah, like at the Battle of Chaeronea, Archeaus lost around 80 000 men, while the Romans lost 13 (Sulla claimed that).
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Finished essays: The Italian Wars (1494-1559), The siege of Buda (1686), The history of Boius tribe in the Carpathian Basin, Hungarian regiments' participation in the Austro-Prussian-Italian War in 1866, The Mithridatic Wars, Xenophon's Anabasis, The Carthagian colonization
    Skipped essays: Serbian migration into the Kingdom of Hungary in the 18th century, The Order of Saint John in the Kingdom of Hungary

Quote Originally Posted by Apázlinemjó View Post
    Yeah, like at the Battle of Chaeronea, Archeaus lost around 80 000 men, while the Romans lost 13 (Sulla claimed that).
    Actually, he claimed only 12 - one of the missing soldiers returned after the battle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast