Thread: I'm glad someone thought all this through.

Default I'm glad someone thought all this through.

And the guy can't even die. Does Gravitas have any meaning at all in this?

Default Re: I'm glad someone thought all this through.

Oh, hah

I had seen complaint thread over at TWC about the immortalness but had figured it wouldn't be too much of an issue & didn't read it.
    But lol yeah that accumulation of Gravitas is sure going to be a PITA with unlimited civil wars from too much influence possible & a whole heap of new ways to earn Gravitas per turn bonuses
    Last edited by hoom; 09-21-2014 at 05:31.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

From what I hear the faction leaders of the Roman factions cant die from combat but can eventually die from old age. The immortal trait is to just prevent him dying in the first battle of the campaign or something. But they can die in combat if they dont have any cities left.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    From what I hear the faction leaders of the Roman factions cant die from combat but can eventually die from old age. The immortal trait is to just prevent him dying in the first battle of the campaign or something. But they can die in combat if they dont have any cities left.
    This guy is 56 years old. He has at least another 15 before there is even a threat of dying of old age. That's 60 turns. He gets 10 Gravitas per turn if I stop ranking him up right now so that is another 600 Gravitas before he gets close to dying of old age...

How does that make any sort of sense whatsoever? Yes, he has 1 Ambition which is shit (these are randomly assigned every time you start a new campaign) but he 'ends' with over 1000 Gravitas. What kind of effect does that have on the internal politics? Does it have any or is it just too big for the game to 'comprehend'?

Do you know what this feels like? Mods. They went and made it 4tpy without scaling anything whatsoever down so it matches with the huge amount of time that anyone in your campaign is around now. It's exactly the same mistake that people who modded the game to do that made from the very beginning. (Yes, I noticed this now because I only sat down and played the new campaign for more than 5 minutes yesterday).

The internal politics is just as screwed and broken and whatever as it has been from the very beginning, it just looks a lot fancier now and probably makes more sense in the grand campaign.

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

A quick peruse of the main TW forum and steam forum for Rome 2 will net you a variety of threads about all the different ways this is still broken.

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    A quick peruse of the main TW forum and steam forum for Rome 2 will net you a variety of threads about all the different ways this is still broken.
    I doubt it can be fixed without just scrapping it altogether lol.

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

don't fret about it ;)

the impact of gravitas gain on influence is somehow scaled giving diminishing returns for high levels of gravitas. and with high levels here, I mean, cumulative gravitas for the party.

so, if your party has high accumulated gravitas, +20/turn (gravitas) will mean nothing in terms of influence gain. whereas if the opposition has +1 to their accumulated 50, that actually might make a difference.

I have several 500 gravitas generals (gaining +10/turn) and I can barely keep my party's influence steady (not declining) at imperium VI (which gives a significant boost to influence gain).

just saying...

p.s. one way to think of it, if your 70% party's influence is currently backed by 2000 points in gravitas: that's 28 gravitas per influence point (for your party); if the opposition's 30% of influence is, at the same time, backed by 50 points of accumulated gravitas, that's 1.7 gravitas/influence point.

so, if your party gains +2 gravitas, that will mean zero in terms of influence gain. meanwhile, a +2 gravitas gain might translate into influence gain for the opposition (it depends on ambition and other factors as well).

the broken part however is that, even though according to CA, the civil war is supposed to have a chance only above 69% influence for monarchies and 49% for republics; it does occur for lower influence now. According to Craig (CA), this is broken and not working as intended.
    Last edited by Slaists; 09-23-2014 at 05:00.

Hmm, then it may not be so bad.
    Incidentally the TWC thread isn't actually about the Gravitas issue but just not being able to kill them.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

BTW, the easy way to managed influence down (if you need to) is to spread rumors (gives a negative, fixed hit to politicans + a variable gold cost per hit). The thing is, you can do it as many times you want per turn and the gold cost goes down as the target's gravitas decreases but you still get the fixed amount of politicians lost. Once the target is near zero gravitas, the gold cost is about 50... but you still lose the same number of politicians.

Of course, it's a silly thing: spreading rumours about the opposition results in your party giving up influence, but, oh well...

Here is an example of a "target":

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

-5 senators for 44 gold (because the target has 1 gravitas).
    Last edited by Slaists; 09-24-2014 at 06:06.