Thread: What maps would you like to see from shogun remade for shogun 2

Default What maps would you like to see from shogun remade for shogun 2

So as the title says what maps would you like to see remade from shogun 1, im talking carbon copies here exact remade maps perhaps abit larger with just new graphics introduced.

My top list

1. Totomi
    2. Nagashima

Having trouble remembering the names of all the really good ones, what was the one with all the rice fields in the middle and a hill running right along the defenders side and that other one 4th something.

Also there should be a mention for some of the excellent user created maps such as dry river bed among many others.

Even if CA want to make and design new layouts for these provinces they should imo include the classc maps in their multiplayer list with titles like Totomi (Classic), Nagashima (Classic) the mp community of old would love it.
    Last edited by Swoosh So; 09-12-2010 at 13:56.

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

Default Re: What maps would you like to see from shogun remade for shogun 2

what about all provinces?

aki
    sado
    4th kawanasaki
    yamamoto

comes to mind
    Clan Wolves: 10 years in Total War
    visit us at wolves.magyarkhan.org
    and youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ClanWolves
    and watch a Creative Assembly employee struggle in battle....

While i remember most maps fondly and would love all maps to be recreated ( the more the better) i dont think all were great for multiplayer im talking about the classics.

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

the ones i summed up are ok... there are more... i remember the battlemaplayout better than teh names related to them ... :O)

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

What was the one with (for the attacker) two small forested hills about 3/4 back on the center and back left, with one giant, steep almost cliff-like hill on the right. Defenders usually meandered over to the giant hill while attackers tried to rush or skirmish the rear defense element before they could get over to stack on the hill. There would usually be fights on the two small hilltops with the grand finale always on the giant hill. There may have been a church or something on the back left hill

Anyway, my favorite map to attack was that one.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Hmm ...not sure about that one, MRD.

Most of my favorites have been mentioned. One of the beach maps was fun--Tajima? Tosa? Not sure which. The one where the attacker has to go to the far right to get up in elevation where the defender usually is, on a plateau with a forest woods in the middle of it.

Azukizaka is a good map. I think it was introduced in MI, so original STW players may not know it.

I'd like to see horselands and river crossing!
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

That would be 4th Kawanakajima, Swoosh. Wondering if Major Robert Dump is talking about Aki?

aki is fun yes just as yamamoto had so much fun time on them...... altho i think that in stw2 the oevrall experience is automatically much different.... somehow cuz of the sprites and the much less detailled map envirronment i felt a much closer bond with every sprited soldier as i have in ntw....... in stw u could see every sprite fighting for its live..... and everyone somethimes felt so important.... i remember battles where i see a few cav fighting a few infantry.... and each other decimating and eventually one of the two starts wavering and miracelously a sprite saved itself and the other units did waver and routed..... who of u didnt zoom in and see the individual sprite fight his battle?

If they intend to give a high profile to multiplayer gaming, then making good maps for online use is a must. The NTW maps are a semi-disaster (Yes, I've been playing NTW like mad as well lately :)) in terms of MP, although I guess functional for single player purposes.

Swoosh - I think you shouldn't get overexcited about re-living the past. This will be a totally different game, and the maps will be completely different even though the name is the same. However, I would love to see one or two classic maps re-made tile by tile with the new engine. I'd say Totomi is a must, for nostalgic purposes. Add it to our wish list!

The Order of Kenchikuka

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think you shouldn't get overexcited about re-living the past.
    People who stay stuck in the past go down easily in a new age.

And those who do not learn from history.... etc

Tera yes id normally agree with you but you havent seen the state of the ntw multiplayer maps. If we dont get something special for stw2 its going to be grassy flatlands x 2000. If thats the "new age" i want no part of it.

Let me wager a prediction, if ca dont listen to the community on the map situation we end up with 2 half playable maps with annoying buildings spread over the map and a game engine not capable of traversing past these buildings. No map editor and ofc grassy flatlands. So even if the game were to meet our expectations in all other departments were left with a shell of a game.

Im playing ntw for 2 weeks now and really struggling to keep interested even though i like the game just because of the map situation.
    Last edited by Swoosh So; 09-13-2010 at 23:42.

Buddha

mapeditor or campaignmap selector..... i will increase fontsize of this item

Blog Entries

Where is the problem to just bring every map from old STW in S2?

Maybe some maps has to increase size a bit, but in the end.... bring em all.

Yup, then we could use my old campaign map for a new STW2 campaign. :)

They should just make sure not to limit options. We had a thriving map making community back then ...how many were there in total? 200? 300? And some of them were played regularly in multiplayer. EVERYONE had the custom map pack installed.

We need many default maps with wide variety, and above all, a custom map maker.

The Order of Kenchikuka

Quote Originally Posted by Tera View Post
    They should just make sure not to limit options. We had a thriving map making community back then ...how many were there in total? 200? 300? And some of them were played regularly in multiplayer. EVERYONE had the custom map pack installed.

We need many default maps with wide variety, and above all, a custom map maker.
    Ah the days of custom map packs, great times :) many of them were used in tourny play in Shogun and MTW.

In terms of which maps I'd like to see most have already been mentioned, I do recall a flatish map in MI that took over from Totomi cant recall its name though now, flat with a few trees around where the defender setup on defs left flank.
    Last edited by Sp00n; 09-18-2010 at 15:13.
    One enemy is too many a hundred friends too few.

AggonySpoon, MizuSpoon, EuroSpoon, Linkspoon Li

Ichiban Nohara? Gekido Notochi?
    There were a couple more Noharas, a few more trees on each one. By the end of MI, I think the map count was in the 400's. How many maps are there in NTW, ETW whichever is latest?

..fears no adversary Senior Member Jochi Khan's Avatar

In NTW there are 25 maps but these are split up into sizes for 1 v 1 2 v 2 3 v 3 and 4 v 4 games.
    So you see the selection is very few.
    R.I.P Great Warrior Ja mata TosaInu

sat at the..Nomad Alliance..campfire

Do your best and do it according to your own inner standard
    --call it conscience--
    not just according to society's knowledge and judgement of your deeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Orda Khan View Post
    Ichiban Nohara? Gekido Notochi?
    There were a couple more Noharas, a few more trees on each one. By the end of MI, I think the map count was in the 400's. How many maps are there in NTW, ETW whichever is latest?
    Hey Orda :) long time hope your well, thanks I think it was Ichiban Nohara although I'm not completely sure.
    One enemy is too many a hundred friends too few.

AggonySpoon, MizuSpoon, EuroSpoon, Linkspoon Li

I'm OK Sp00n, thanks. It's the one that sprang to mind from your description if there was just the one small group of trees. Gekido Notochi had more trees on it, I remember some great battles with Dune and Todas Warriors. Gekido was a particular favourite of Todas.

You know what though? I really would rather see the old maps, same textures and even the same sprites. Does this game honestly require all this gloss to be a great game? Seems to me that it doesn't, judging by the nostalgic posts. Think back to to those original STW sprites and how detailed they actually were, even down to the horses with their white blaze and socks!

The finest battle animation (Samurai Archer, where the bow can clearly be seen bending into full draw and springing forward on release) has never been equalled. I'd rather see this, on any of the maps already mentioned than grass waving in the wind.

im as nostalgic as orda...... 3d is reality now and in a way it will makes it more realistic but CA should never forget that teh game is played zoomed out ... zooming in is more for advertising, machinema movies, and showing what the artists are capable off....

for gameplay only, sprites will do.....

I would say remake as many as they can, but make them somewhat bigger because in the bigger games something seems wrong when you deploy and the redzone is right next to you. Also make sure to remake them without buildings that you can stick half your army in when you play at smaller unit sizes.

Playing a match where an enemy sticks half his army in a building is silly and makes for a less interesting battle and you have to either have an arty for it or hope you have the strength to take it with your numbers.

..fears no adversary Senior Member Jochi Khan's Avatar

Arty can take a loooong time to knock out a building full of troops.
    R.I.P Great Warrior Ja mata TosaInu

sat at the..Nomad Alliance..campfire

Do your best and do it according to your own inner standard
    --call it conscience--
    not just according to society's knowledge and judgement of your deeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jochi Khan View Post
    Arty can take a loooong time to knock out a building full of troops.
    Well it depends on the distance and what arty you are using. In the building scenario where the enemy has a full house it can go down quite fast if you move your arty up to it just out of range of fire from the units inside the building. I like the horse arty for speed and high AC even though it's only 2/3 troops for cannons. I bring one sometimes just for the buildings and if this problem never existed I wouldn't use arty at all.

If you have rules no arty, didn't bring one or lost your arty in this situtation you need to have the strengh to weed him out and it becomes silly if he has half his army in a building.

maybe your thinking of the waterloo buildings jochi theyre quite a different story from say the buildings on galcian ria whose buildings can kill all inside at 50% due to fire and arty only takes a few hits to get them there.

Buddha