Thread: Medical question

Default Medical question

What is it called when one side of someone's face droops (the muscles are much more relaxed and the eyes slants downward) and that same side grows hair much, much faster. Also, what would cause that? :P
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Medical question

A stroke?

Seriously dude, medical advice is not the forte of the frontroom. Unless your illiterate cat is having trouble seeing the intertubes.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

Bells Palsy? Your description is kind of vague.

hmmm...well it is my face I am talking about. :P I just noticed looking at some photos that one side of my face is a lot more relaxed than the other, and that one is slanted and the eyelids droop on that side. It is not that I cannot move it, it is just that I have to move it consciously, because when I smile, my right side smiles, and my left side half smiles.
    @CR If I thought it was serious I would go to a doctor. I know that people here are not medical experts (at least as far as I know :P), but I was just wondering if someone else experienced the same thing/may know what it was. Like I said, my facial hair and neck hair grows much faster on the left side as well.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Yeah, mane, you should see a doctor about that...

EDIT: Wait, you don't live in Canada. Damn, you're screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    Yeah, mane, you should see a doctor about that...

EDIT: Wait, you don't live in Canada. Damn, you're screwed.
    lol, I actually talked to my manager at work today and she told me that she had the same problem after a stroke, so I wonder if I did not have one. Oh well, I got perfect blood pressure now, so going to a doctor would probably not do much good. I was just curious as to how that could happen. (It did not used to be like that)

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

It's also a drug reaction. Some women suffer these symptoms for a while after getting an epidermal for a C section. I hope your baby is okay.
    Last edited by Major Robert Dump; 08-12-2010 at 15:57.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

I'm being serious when I say this, guy: go see a doctor. Holy Jesus, man, your face is ******* slanted. This is no joking matter.

As mentioned, a slanted face sounds serious. You don't wake up with a slanted face and just shrug it off, go see a doctor.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Yeah, you are probably right, but the way I see it is that if I already had a stroke, there is not much that a doctor can do.

EDIT: Actually, with my Blue Cross Blue Shield plan I can call a nurse at any time and ask them medical questions, so I may do that tomorrow and see if they think I should see a doctor.
    Last edited by Vuk; 08-13-2010 at 05:38.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Just Vuk Again View Post
    What is it called when one side of someone's face droops (the muscles are much more relaxed and the eyes slants downward) and that same side grows hair much, much faster. Also, what would cause that? :P
    I had a similar condition (though nowhere near this level), but the cause is something more manageable: I got an injury to the left side of my face, which left my mouth looking like an S for a couple of months.

if you have sth that bad then, I suggest you go to a doctor and see to it this ain't sth worse.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, you are probably right, but the way I see it is that if I already had a stroke, there is not much that a doctor can do.
    You're probably wrong. And this is not something you want to risk anyway.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

http://www.healthhype.com/facial-dro...ging-face.html

Best to see a doctor to cut out any of the more serious causes.

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

EDIT: Actually, with my Blue Cross Blue Shield plan I can call a nurse at any time and ask them medical questions, so I may do that tomorrow and see if they think I should see a doctor.
    Firstly, I know you may follow a different logic if you don't have quasi free health care but loss facial muscle control is definitely a reason to go to the doctor.

Secondly, a stroke is not an one-off occurrence. It can keep happening, getting worse every time so don't just shrug it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Why did you opt for C-Section instead of standard vaginal delivery? Was the baby large, or did you just not want to stretch out the honey pot?
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    Why did you opt for C-Section instead of standard vaginal delivery? Was the baby large, or did you just not want to stretch out the honey pot?
    is Vuk even a woman?

if so, it would make sense-sorta-to ask. otherwise, i still recommend he head to the doc.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

How can you keep blowing this off, mane? For all we know, your face could not be getting enough blood circulation due to clogging blood vessels. If that's the case, your facial tissue will rot, your veins will get blocked and pop, you'll get internal bleeding with blood squeezing out of your rotting face.

Go see a freakin doctor, you idiot. I'm serious. GO! Holy dear Lord, man...

How can you keep blowing this off, mane? For all we know, your face could not be getting enough blood circulation due to clogging blood vessels. If that's the case, your facial tissue will rot, your veins will get blocked and pop, you'll get internal bleeding with blood squeezing out of your rotting face.

Go see a freakin doctor, you idiot. I'm serious. GO! Holy dear Lord, man...
    lol, I was actually going to today, but one of my co-workers could not come to work, and I had to pull a double shift for her, so I was at work from 10 till 10. I will have to do it tomorrow.

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Such is life in America, you may be having a tumor but you go to work for the monies *siigh*

DO WHAT METH SAYS (I never thought I'd ever say it) BUT DO IT!
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In America, you will get fired for taking a certain amount of sick days, usually around 3.

But seriously, see a doctor asap. If you don't go early, the costs spiral out of control due to the vast amount of work needed.
    Last edited by Beskar; 08-17-2010 at 18:37.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    In America, you will get fired for taking a certain amount of sick days, usually around 3.

But seriously, see a doctor asap. If you don't go early, the costs spiral out of control due to the vast amount of work needed.
    Yeah, I actually was not able to get an appointment on my only day off last week, so I will have to do it on my only day off (Friday) this week. :P

You still haven't done it??!

You still haven't done it??!
    lol, I actually was able to get an appointment today. They did a bunch of test and I will get the results tomorrow. The doctor told me that he thought it was just Lyme's Disease. That was good news for me considering the other two causes he suggested (a stroke or a tumor :P). Lyme's Disease isn't a biggy. My brother has gotten it three times, in recovered in about 20 days each time.

Well, I just got the test results in. I do not have Lyme's disease, or cancer, and I did not have a stroke. He said that I had Bell's Palsy, and that it was probably caused by a virus. :P The good news is that I will recover. :P
    (See Megas, nothing to worry about. )

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, I just got the test results in. I do not have Lyme's disease, or cancer, and I did not have a stroke. He said that I had Bell's Palsy, and that it was probably caused by a virus. :P The good news is that I will recover. :P
    (See Megas, nothing to worry about. )
    Yes, because you got treatment eventually and luckily not too late.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Yeah. Take a look at Beskar's Quebecois brother, Jean Chrétien, as an example. Poor SOB's face was permanently paralyzed.

Yeah. Take a look at Beskar's Quebecois brother, Jean Chrétien, as an example. Poor SOB's face was permanently paralyzed.
    That stinks for him, but fortunately that did not happen to me. :D
    Thank you very much for your concern Megas. I know that you are right that I should have went earlier (and I would have if I thought it would be life threatening), but I hate going to the darn doctor. :P They took so much blood from me for the test that I am not allowed to exert myself at all aside from work, and I have a special diet for the next four days. :P That really stinks. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Yes, because you got treatment eventually and luckily not too late.
    lol, actually I am not going to get any treatment. He said that I am on the latter stages of recovery and that steroids (for the face) or an antibiotic would not help at this point.