Thread: Jargon-bust a memory stick for me?

Default Jargon-bust a memory stick for me?

I'm considering a new memory stick for my PSP as my original one is only 2GB; that's not so good for the range of possibilities opened up by downloadable titles and UMD games which offer install options.

The PSP takes the memory stick duo, of up to 16GB. Sandisk or Sony makes are recommended as they outperform the others in most tests with the console. A 16GB card from either of those is £55-£60. Then I found this one right next to the others on play.com. It sounds like it would be compatible but it doesn't say so, whereas all of the others list PSP compatibility on their product info. It's also a lot cheaper, which makes me wonder if this is a cut down version only intended for cameras or something. That MSPD bit at the end of the name reinforces that idea.

Can anyone confirm that stick will work? Thanks.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Default Re: Jargon-bust a memory stick for me?

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    I'm considering a new memory stick for my PSP as my original one is only 2GB; that's not so good for the range of possibilities opened up by downloadable titles and UMD games which offer install options.

The PSP takes the memory stick duo, of up to 16GB. Sandisk or Sony makes are recommended as they outperform the others in most tests with the console. A 16GB card from either of those is £55-£60. Then I found this one right next to the others on play.com. It sounds like it would be compatible but it doesn't say so, whereas all of the others list PSP compatibility on their product info. It's also a lot cheaper, which makes me wonder if this is a cut down version only intended for cameras or something. That MSPD bit at the end of the name reinforces that idea.

Can anyone confirm that stick will work? Thanks.
    I think the MSPD is just redundant- standing for Memory Stick Pro Duo. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work, but I'd feel better about buying it if it actually had some reviews since I think they could vary significantly in performance.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 09-22-2010 at 04:13.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Just use recognizable brand name stuff, what you linked should be fine. The only reason to worry about getting specific memory sticks is if you plan on flashing your PSP with custom firmware.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

I'll try it. It's Sandisk so it should be good. Even if it's a bit slower than the £20 more expensive 16GB memory stick duos it will still be faster than loading solely from UMB, and better than not having space for more than one game from PSN. I currently can't start Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep because the install file for that game plus FFVII from PSN fills nearly my entire stick; there's insufficient space left over for Kingdom Heart's game saves.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.